Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Nhilist posted:

I smoked a chuck roast, nothing special except for the resulting jus, who would have thought smoked beef stock would taste so good.
I added wostershire and a little lousiana hotsauce to the pan on top of the onion halves and two cups of stock, it was an amazing dipper.

Nice, I may have to try this. Homemade stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

FaradayCage posted:

Nice, I may have to try this. Homemade stock?
Nope, beef stock right out of the paper box, also, tonight I heated the leftover stock back up with the remaining onions, dug out some gruyere and stuck it under the broiler. It was a smokey french onion(ish) soup, it was wonderful. A few cold slices of roast with horseradish and sour cream on baguette, I felt like a redneck frenchman.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I'm a novice cook at my best, and this is probably my first post ever in any kind of cooking forum.

But I made Shakshuka tonight for the first time ever, and it went over like gangbusters with both my wife and my son. I'm super proud of my self eventhough it's a simple recipe. I love cooking, but I'm real bad at trying anything outside my comfort-zone, so this is like my first real stab at a dish I'd never even heard of before I found the recipe!

I took a photo, though it came out pretty bad. The white stuff is eggs, and also crumpled feta. Definently not the last time I make this!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Shakshuka is bomb because it's good and so hard to gently caress up and always looks great

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Werner-Boogle posted:

I'm a novice cook at my best, and this is probably my first post ever in any kind of cooking forum.

But I made Shakshuka tonight for the first time ever, and it went over like gangbusters with both my wife and my son. I'm super proud of my self eventhough it's a simple recipe. I love cooking, but I'm real bad at trying anything outside my comfort-zone, so this is like my first real stab at a dish I'd never even heard of before I found the recipe!

I took a photo, though it came out pretty bad. The white stuff is eggs, and also crumpled feta. Definently not the last time I make this!

Ya done good Werner-Boogle. That's some fine looking Shakshuka. We make it a couple of times per month around here. The sauce freezes perfectly, so we'll make a massive loving batch of sauce, then freeze double servings. Grab a portion out of the freezer in the morning to defrost, heat up and cook some eggs in it.

Probably the highest flavor : effort meal I know of. Frozen gumbo heated up and served with fresh rice is a close second though.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
That looks fantastic, good job.

I've got a chunk of nice goat cheese left which is going on top some shakshouka tomorrow.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I dunno what Shaksuska is but you've inspired me to look it up, that looks delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Huevos rancheros North African style.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Werner-Boogle posted:

My sister and brother-in-law are visiting for the weekend and this has inspired me to make shakshuka for breakfast on Saturday. Thanks!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Grilled cheese sandwich with beef brisket

Basically a what I found in the fridge type of food.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks tasty as hell. Great photo too.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Home made celeriac soup for dinner. My first ever attempt at soup making and it owned.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

loving hell.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Home made celeriac soup for dinner. My first ever attempt at soup making and it owned.

I want to try that myself some day. I might have to grow the stuff myself though, I've never seen it in any grocery store.Possibly at the farmer's market though.

greats
Sep 29, 2016
made urad dals in my pressure cooker for the first time and they came out great. the red stuff on top is the chili ghee tadka. served with fresh chapatis :)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Huevos rancheros North African style.

Every time I think about that Huevos Rancheros recipe I get all giggly.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cross-posting this for the umpteenth time because I'm just so drat proud of the dinner party I threw on Sunday. It's by far the fanciest one I've done ever. It was a Halloweeney autumn-themed menu and a Masquerade (photos of my outfit here). It was also the first time I served dinner a la russe and good god I shan't be doing that again. Way too taxing. Also the photographer was one of the guests who used my digital camera. He's very inexperienced but I put him through his paces and I don't think I could've done much better. So here goes:

1. Amuse Bouche Course: Sunchoke Chowder. Spicy seasonal puree of sunchokes, with roasted sunchokes and fresh chopped parsley on top. Served alongside an allspice liqueur aperitif.

2. Appetizer Course 1: Trio of vegetables! Sous vide butter-glazed carrots. Very sweet and super carrotey since the sous vide technique really locks in the flavor. Sauteed marbled potatoes seasoned with rosemary oil. Blanched and sauteed asparagus tips with a sauce of tangy lemon-pepper butter.

3. Appetizer Course 2: Duet of mushroom canapes. One on the left is mushrooms glazed in a balsamic vinegar and red wine reduction, on toast smeared with brown butter and topped with fresh tarragon (or as my French coworker once insisted, estragon). The one on the right is mushroom marsala ragout on toast drizzled with rosemary oil and topped with fresh chopped parsley.

4. Palate Cleanser: Strawberry Cordial Sorbet in China Spoons. A sorbet of pureed strawberries and special crisp herbs to give it a refreshing finish on the palate. Really washes away the richness of the canapes and prepares you for the really rich main to come.

5. Main Course: Poulet Nuptiale! The star of the dinner tonight and is an original dish of my own creation. Poulet Nuptiale (Wedding Chicken) is a play on the traditional French dish Poulet Demi-Dueil (Chicken in Half-Mourning), which is a roasted chicken stuffed with black truffle slices under the skin so that when baked, the chicken is black and looks like it's on its way to a funeral. Poulet Nuptiale on the other hand is a deboned chicken leg marinaded in white truffle oil and spices, stuffed with a mushroom duxelle and parmesan cheese, and cooked sous vide for 5 hours. The cheese within becomes a melty, delicious sauce on its own. The chicken becomes tender as all gently caress.

The chicken is then sliced into medallions and served on a bed of white corn truffled polenta, drizzled with a sauce made from the bag juices, and garnished with a parmesan crisp. Alongside it are a sous vide poached egg and a salad garnished with a basic apple cider vinaigrette. The salad is garnished with cooked red and yellow beets and pickled red onion.

Images of the plating follows:

6. Second Palate Cleanser: Trio of seasonal sorbets. I really wanted to go with autumn colors but things didn't turn out that way. Cranberry sauce sorbet, mulled apple cider sorbet, and black mission fig and port sorbet garnished with pomegranate seeds.

7. Dessert Plate: Trio of Desserts. Pumpkin pancakes with spice butter and real maple syrup. Mulled apple cider jelly. Beetroot ice cream (lactose free since it's made with coconut cream). Nice and earthy way to end a meal.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Woah...great job dude.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That all looks so freaking cool but I am really thinking that pumpkin pancake / beetroot coconut creme ice cream was probably something special. How did it turn out?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

That Works posted:

That all looks so freaking cool but I am really thinking that pumpkin pancake / beetroot coconut creme ice cream was probably something special. How did it turn out?

I had to adjust the recipe for the beetroot ice cream because I had lactose intolerant guests. The use of coconut cream changed the flavor profile significantly, but it actually improved the texture a little. I would've preferred it without the pronounced coconut flavor personally. I think I'll try using milk chocolate or cocoa butter as a substitute instead. That should be a better flavor pairing.

I've made pumpkin pancakes quite often and they are really tasty. Unfortunately I forgot to garnish them with toasted pumpkin seeds, but as you can imagine it's because I was pretty frazzled from being in the kitchen this whole time.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 2, 2016

Stuparoni
Nov 2, 2016

Just... hee hee
Chicken thigh and stacks of fried polenta, baked tomato slices and ricotta covered in vodka sauce.

Stuparoni fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 2, 2016

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

5. Main Course: Poulet Nuptiale! The star of the dinner tonight and is an original dish of my own creation. Poulet Nuptiale (Wedding Chicken) is a play on the traditional French dish Poulet Demi-Dueil (Chicken in Half-Mourning), which is a roasted chicken stuffed with black truffle slices under the skin so that when baked, the chicken is black and looks like it's on its way to a funeral. Poulet Nuptiale on the other hand is a deboned chicken leg marinaded in white truffle oil and spices, stuffed with a mushroom duxelle and parmesan cheese, and cooked sous vide for 5 hours. The cheese within becomes a melty, delicious sauce on its own. The chicken becomes tender as all gently caress.

The chicken is then sliced into medallions and served on a bed of white corn truffled polenta, drizzled with a sauce made from the bag juices, and garnished with a parmesan crisp. Alongside it are a sous vide poached egg and a salad garnished with a basic apple cider vinaigrette. The salad is garnished with cooked red and yellow beets and pickled red onion.

Images of the plating follows:

All of this looks amazing, but I have to ask how well you managed to keep everything hot while plating 6 at a time. I'd love to read a more detailed description and your take on how it turned out in that respect.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Serendipitaet posted:

All of this looks amazing, but I have to ask how well you managed to keep everything hot while plating 6 at a time. I'd love to read a more detailed description and your take on how it turned out in that respect.

Yeah that was definitely quite the challenge. Here's how I did it to the best of my ability:

1) The chicken leg roulades had been chilled and sliced into medallions, then rolled back up and re-sealed in vacuum bags the day before. An hour before I serve them I toss the bagged chicken medallions into the immersion circulator to warm up to 155*F.
2) Plate the salad first.
3) Poached egg next (it's fine if the egg is served lukewarm IMO)
4) Bed of hot polenta goes on the plate. The heat from the polenta is meant to help keep the medallions warm when they're plated.
5) Medallions next. All I need to do is rip them out of their baggies, unwrap them, and separate the medallions before plating. So maybe 30-40 seconds a plate?
6) Hot sauce is drizzled over the medallions to help warm them up if they've cooled down any.
7) Add the parmesan crisp, this only takes a minute or so.

I also wear latex gloves as I'm plating the medallions, so I don't have to wash my hands after. I just rip off the gloves and grab the plates and bring them to the table immediately. IIRC the chicken medallions were plenty warm once I sat down to eat.

Thinking about it now, I could've also just kept everything in the oven (with the heat turned down all the way) and plated the salad last instead. If I'm ever crazy enough to serve dinner a la russe again I might just do this instead.

As for the flavor: The chicken had been cooked sous vide for 5 hours stuffed with spices, the mushroom duxelle, parmesan cheese, and white truffle oil. This lends to an INCREDIBLY savory, juicy, tender, and meaty roulade. This is because the umami components of the chicken (inosinic acid), mushrooms (guanylic acid), and parmesan cheese (glutamic acid) all synergize with each other to bump up the umami flavor significantly. My diners had definitely noted that the meat was incredibly savory. One even said that he never would've believed that it was chicken.

The spices, mushrooms, and truffle oil also meld into one another to give this powerful, earthy quality to the meat. The diners actually couldn't quite distinguish the truffle oil, but I think if you really focused you could tell it was there: it's just that the truffle oil essence is gently layered through the rest of the stuffing.

Also, at that temperature and cook time the parmesan melts into and mixes with the chicken juices. This forms a really gooey sauce that twines through the meat. The meat itself was so tender that you could cut through it with just the edge of your fork.

The sauce is just a mixture of soy milk and the bag juices from the chicken. I wanted it to be very mellow but still reminiscent of the roulade, and it helps bridge the gap between the incredibly rich chicken meat and the very mild white corn truffled polenta.

Also, the poached egg adds a milder form of creaminess to the dish, the parmesan crisp adds texture (since the rest of the dish is so meltingly soft), and the beetroot salad's vinaigrette adds acidity to help cut through the richness of the rest of the dish.

Very much the most complex plate I've ever made, but everything on there serves a purpose.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 2, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I made pickled beets! Golden and red.

And a noodle bowl with fried tofu. I make the best fried tofu. It looks washed out and kind of gross here but it was in fact deep golden and crisp and amazing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

IronSaber posted:

Every time I think about that Huevos Rancheros recipe I get all giggly.

My wife and I had the exact same reaction.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
So I discovered a farmers market that has fresh pasta, housemade sausage and housemade sauce. And really cheap steamed blue crabs.

Fettuccine marinara with pancetta and blue crab on top

Fettuccine marinara with sausage

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

The Doctor posted:

I make the best fried tofu.

It's tremendous tofu. Incredible tofu. You're not gonna believe this tofu. People say this (and now I really don't say this), they say, "Doctor, you make the best tofu."

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

The Doctor posted:

And a noodle bowl with fried tofu. I make the best fried tofu. It looks washed out and kind of gross here but it was in fact deep golden and crisp and amazing.

Tell me your tofu secrets. Lately I've been just doping it with soy and chilli and baking it for 30 mins.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wife's sick and I'd already defrosted them so duck breast for me! Yay!

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

nazutul posted:

It's tremendous tofu. Incredible tofu. You're not gonna believe this tofu. People say this (and now I really don't say this), they say, "Doctor, you make the best tofu."

I don't think I need to tell you who's gonna pay for this tofu.

sweat poteto posted:

Tell me your tofu secrets. Lately I've been just doping it with soy and chilli and baking it for 30 mins.

The slices in that picture are a little too thin. I like frying thick slices of firm-ish tofu at a high temp in a mixture of canola oil, butter, garlic, s&p, and then hitting it with some soy or vietnamese chili garlic sauce or both. If the tofu is too thin it tends to get really chewy on the inside, although a fun experiment would be to slice it super super thin and see if it makes like...tofu chips.

Also I just keep canning things. I wanted to make just plain old Newfie mustard pickles but I changed my mind halfway through and replaced the turmeric and mustard powder with red curry powder and dijon mustard. It's really loving good.

The carrots are a seriouseats recipe, as are the golden beets.

Background is a pumpkin beer my partner is making, also contains bourbon soaked oak cubes.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Made some restaurant style curry, they're not kidding when they tell you that the base 'gravy' makes a shitload of servings (dude told me to use 15 onions, ended up using 12). It's a pretty standard madras base with some spinach and then mated to slow cooker chicken thighs that had marinated in a zip-lock bag overnight in a few standard indian spices.

Delhi belly for weeks :grin:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Theophany posted:

Made some restaurant style curry, they're not kidding when they tell you that the base 'gravy' makes a shitload of servings (dude told me to use 15 onions, ended up using 12). It's a pretty standard madras base with some spinach and then mated to slow cooker chicken thighs that had marinated in a zip-lock bag overnight in a few standard indian spices.

Delhi belly for weeks :grin:

Fuckin' yum. You got a pic of whatever you bought to make the gravy? I've got indo-pak grocer nearby and would love to cook some curry but I have no idea where to begin.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

theres a will theres moe posted:

Fuckin' yum. You got a pic of whatever you bought to make the gravy? I've got indo-pak grocer nearby and would love to cook some curry but I have no idea where to begin.

Sure do man, being a camera nerd and whatnot.

I took 9 large brown onions, sliced them thin and put them in a large cast iron pot with two tablespoons of ghee, then sweat them down for about 30 mins. Because there's so much onion and you don't want to burn them, I found slow and low was the best approach, but my pot isn't that big.

Once done, I added 2 thinly sliced carrots, 3/4 of a heavily chopped cabbage and 3 bell peppers sliced up. Keep cooking for another 5 minutes until they sweat down too.

Once that's done, you can dump in the flavour stuff. I went with a couple of tablespoons of garlic puree, a couple of tablespoons of ginger puree, then two tablespoons of garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander and fenugreek. Then add in tinned tomatoes and water until the liquid level just about covers the vegetables. At this point, I also added some naga chilli sauce that I really like to add some heat. This was off piste - my restaurant told me they'd typically add the chillies at the meat stage below.

Then simmer for a half hour, you want to get all the veg nice and soft because the next step is to blend it all until it's smooth like a soup.

I only have a cheap £10 hand blender, but perseverance is key. I think I spent like 15-20 mins blending it until I was happy. It still looked a bit gritty, but a quick taste test confirmed it didn't have that bad mouthfeel like a bad smoothie. Once you're at that stage of smoothness, you're golden.

The final step was to take a frying pan, melt a few tablespoons of ghee and once hot, put in a few tablespoons of turmeric. You don't want it to burn, so it takes less than a minute. Once it starts to brown, take the frying pan from the heat and pour into your base 'gravy' and stir in. Return your gravy to a simmer for anywhere between 30 mins to an hour. At this point, I took a bag of baby leaf spinach, chopped it up finely and added it to my gravy. I also cut another 3 onions into 8ths so there was a bit of extra onion crunch; if I'd had tomatoes to hand I'd have quartered a few of those too for that authentic restaurant taste.

Once you're all blended, the final bit is to add the meat. The night before, I took about 2.4kg of boned chicken thighs rough cut into quarters and dredged them in a mix of cumin, garam masala, turmeric and smoked paprika. Then I ghetto vacuum sealed them in a ziplock back in a sink full of water and let them rest overnight. My local restaurant gave me this recipe and their advice was to cook whatever meat you're using separately. I used a crock pot to cook mine because it gave it a bit of a drier (ghetto) tandoori texture, but they told me there's no real rules as long as you get the spice combo right. Once you combine, you're good to go!

With all those measures, I ended up making 16 good size portions! Got a couple of bags of spinach leftover too so might have a crack at the saag aloo recipe they gave me too. :)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks mouth watering. I might make some curry this weekend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah, that's pretty neat. I have made somewhat similar curry before but never with cabbage. I'd like to try that out. I bet you could adapt the vegetable parts pretty easily to a pressure cooker also to speed things up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's a perfect project for the blendtec I just picked up. Thanks for writing that up.

Ignorant question:
Why add the turmeric so late and the garam masala so early? From what I've been told, and read, the garam masala goes in fairly late.

I can't believe your restaurant is willing to give you the recipe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Did an experiment with a skinless Muscovy Duck breast I call

Duck steak, London Broil style https://imgur.com/gallery/Qj9Pn

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did an experiment with a skinless Muscovy Duck breast I call

Duck steak, London Broil style https://imgur.com/gallery/Qj9Pn

Well, I am now going to be looking at my local pond inhabitants in a slightly different light...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Wow! Awesome. Thanks. I am going to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

That's a perfect project for the blendtec I just picked up. Thanks for writing that up.

Ignorant question:
Why add the turmeric so late and the garam masala so early? From what I've been told, and read, the garam masala goes in fairly late.

I can't believe your restaurant is willing to give you the recipe.

The restaurant is local to my parents and they've been going there for 20+ years now, so when I told the guys there that all my local Indian restaurants were pretty bad they were happy to tell me how to recreate their food. So really good of them and I'd still rather get a takeaway from them than make my own when I'm in the area!

As to adding the turmeric late, I honestly have no idea. I was just doing as I was told. My only guess would be a key flavour that won't get lost in the medley before and the authentic 'look' of a takeaway curry - the turmeric is what creates the characteristic yellow stains if you spill any anywhere and the additional ghee creates the slick of oil that sits on top.

• Locked thread