Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
E > B > D > A We have future science, I don't think geothermal power is going to be really super important to us. I mean, it's nice and reliable, but even the most unreliable systems can be made reliable with enough redundancy. Let's focus on stuff that we can't easily fix. Although I bet we could warm the place up a bit with some mass-scale greenhouse gas production or orbital mirrors...

H 2.5% of our colonists should not represent a major loss of manpower, particularly given that a large proportion of them would be likely die pretty soon anyway. All that death would be bad for morale too. This seems like a pretty easy decision, to be honest, not sure what our scientist's deal is. Maybe her ex is in that group?

Chocolate Chunk posted:

C > B > E We can get heat off of the geothermal power, even if our outdoor excursions may be more limited than somewhere warmer. Ensuring that we have that power and don't die from Rocks Falling, our biggest priority is not dieing from radiation.
See, preference voting's not so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still think we should go with a new world deity in honor of this being a new world.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RandomPauI posted:

I still think we should go with a new world deity in honor of this being a new world.

Why not set ourselves up as God?
I mean, that's how it'd develop if something ever happens to the space elevator and people are stranded on the planet.

"The gods came to us from the great moon road with mighty mechanical beasts and the first plants that we enjoy now. But we angered them, and in their rage, destroyed their great road, leaving us to fend for ourselves. We hope one day to regain their favor."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ralith posted:

See, preference voting's not so bad!

Its great when its done occasionally and is manageable with a small population, given that its hand counted.

But every single vote? It makes both counting and discussion a nightmare.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

the_steve posted:

Why not set ourselves up as God?
I mean, that's how it'd develop if something ever happens to the space elevator and people are stranded on the planet.

"The gods came to us from the great moon road with mighty mechanical beasts and the first plants that we enjoy now. But we angered them, and in their rage, destroyed their great road, leaving us to fend for ourselves. We hope one day to regain their favor."

"His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be a god."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) B D; C E;;
2) H, and if Silvia wants to burn anyone because how dare they care about possibly the only gene pool we have left or colony morale instead of an extra 3% labor capacity, there's the airlock.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 31, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

In all, without care the mortality rate is anywhere from 5 to 95%, with treatment it is 5 to 50%, with death happening in four to six weeks after exposure.

Because of the nature of the damage, there really isn't anything you can do to treat the majority of it. You can provide them with some comfort care, and dope them with some crazy good antibiotics to help prevent secondary infections, but the majority of the damage is already done.

Most of these people are highly cybernetically enhanced already. Couldn't we drastically increase the survival rate by simply waiting for cloning of bone marrow transplants and thorough cybernetic organ replacements where necessary?

I suppose that is part of the "wait to thaw until safer option", but shouldn't we be able to dip into our medical cybernetic parts supplies to thaw out some number of them with a higher success rate, and wait to thaw the rest until we can build more parts?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Butt Discussin posted:

I suppose that is part of the "wait to thaw until safer option", but shouldn't we be able to dip into our medical cybernetic parts supplies to thaw out some number of them with a higher success rate, and wait to thaw the rest until we can build more parts?
It's literally 2.5% and we planned to lose people on the way to begin with. Keeping them in cryo should be a nonissue and spending limited resources to get them out sooner sounds like the worst of both worlds. I think our scientist is just kind of nutty.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Butt Discussin posted:

Most of these people are highly cybernetically enhanced already. Couldn't we drastically increase the survival rate by simply waiting for cloning of bone marrow transplants and thorough cybernetic organ replacements where necessary?

Depends on how well one ship's worth of equipment can synthesize cybernetics suitable for grafting or other permanent integration with the human body, or for information processing. Long-term, depends on what the supply chain looks like for that and whether that could fit in something the size of a town.

Deep trouble if you're dealing with persistent CNS damage.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Outrail posted:

Edit: work it be possible to put the department in parenthesis after people's names for a while? There's a lot of names to keep track of.

I edited those in for you. Hopefully the find/replace didn't do anything too weird.

Butt Discussin posted:

Bone marrow is indeed an issue, but it's not the only issue. There's substantial damage to, well, basically everything. You also can't know for sure who got 3 Gy and who only got 2 Gy, and who took most of that dose to the brain vs to the legs. The safest assumption is a uniform field, but it's probably not the most accurate model.

Having bionic legs won't help your stomach lining, eyes, brain, and other squishy bits inside you. If they were handling a radioactive source, for instance, having bionic arms would indeed help them a lot. This isn't that case here. The bionics will outlive the people though, it takes hundreds of gray to kill electronics, so you could hose off the ones from the dead people to replace broken parts on other people and hope that there are no ghosts in the machine?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

E, C, B

H

On planet names, I'm not a big fan of jumping right into Norse mythology because everybody and their dog jumps right into Norse mythology when given the opportunity. Hell even anime does it and Japan ain't got no ancestral viking romanticism as an excuse.

I suggest Antipode pronounced "an-TIP-oh-DEE"

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Let our watchers, who spent 22 years staring at space for us, name the planet.

In order from most to least important, our landing site should be:
B > C > D > A > E

As much as we would like to avoid stellar radiation, I'm sure we can come up with suits or treatments to avoid the worst effects and/or stay inside under a radiation shield for most of our days. And the cold is going to suck but it's cold everywhere - if the *average* surface temp is -40, that doesn't bode well for finding a warm spot to settle. I think right now for a primary colony we need to find solid ground with access to geothermal power and heat, which will help us melt water, which will help us start crops and move a few bodies planetside without risk of becoming peoplesicles on arrival. After that we can prioritize other sites for secondary research colonies.

And finally,
I Thaw a small number at a time, say 10. Reduce the drain on our medical staff, use each group of 10 as practice and research for treatments. We might still lose half, but at least we won't be throwing all of our resources at 200 dying people all at once. Make it known that these colonists may not survive but they are not going to die uselessly. Their last days will be spent helping our medical team establish new and better ways to protect against stellar radiation, to help humanity's chances of long-term survival on this and other planets. Their deaths ensure a better future for us all!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Why do we even need a mythological name? Why don't we just call it "Fifty Words" after the (disproven) idea that Eskimos have fifty different words for snow?

I mean, if you really wanted to be clever you could just name it 'fire-ice' in Basque ("Suizotza") - because the odds of anyone on the ship being a Basque speaker are, like, nil. Or "ice-lava" in Maori, "Tiorangitoto".

I can vouch for the accuracy of none of these translations, btw.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Faerunner posted:

Let our watchers, who spent 22 years staring at space for us, name the planet.

Sure!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hmm, some tough decisions.

E, D, H

Name the place New Arctic.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Ask the Watchers for input before deciding on a name.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

They'd probably prefer to stick with the initial designator given their personality types.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

On the other hand, it would be a nice token of appreciation, letting them have a crack at naming it.

Question: What will the Watcher's jobs be once we no longer need them to monitor all of the cryo-sleepers? Do they get to retire? Or are there more science jobs that they get assigned to?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

the_steve posted:

On the other hand, it would be a nice token of appreciation, letting them have a crack at naming it.

Question: What will the Watcher's jobs be once we no longer need them to monitor all of the cryo-sleepers? Do they get to retire? Or are there more science jobs that they get assigned to?

Leave them on the ship in orbit as museum keepers. I can't imagine the personality traits that made them good Watchers will make them good colonists.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Loel posted:

Leave them on the ship in orbit as museum keepers. I can't imagine the personality traits that made them good Watchers will make them good colonists.

That's what I'm curious about.
On the one hand, they dedicated/sacrificed 20 some years to being the only 3 people around (barring check-ins from the captain) in the vast emptiness of space. Even if they were psychologically vetted for it, that's got to be a hell of a service.
On the other hand, they're still very capable. Pretty sure Bedia proved herself to be a hell of a researcher, she definitely helped us figure out the cryosickness, and we are trying to colonize an ice ball with a hot cinnamon core.

Ok, sure, they're probably not necessarily the type to sit around the campfire and tell ghost stories with us, but they're still useful resources, who have also probably earned the right to hang back and let everyone else do the work for awhile.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

the_steve posted:

On the one hand, they dedicated/sacrificed 20 some years to being the only 3 people around (barring check-ins from the captain) in the vast emptiness of space. Even if they were psychologically vetted for it, that's got to be a hell of a service.
On the other hand, they're still very capable. Pretty sure Bedia proved herself to be a hell of a researcher, she definitely helped us figure out the cryosickness, and we are trying to colonize an ice ball with a hot cinnamon core.

Ok, sure, they're probably not necessarily the type to sit around the campfire and tell ghost stories with us, but they're still useful resources, who have also probably earned the right to hang back and let everyone else do the work for awhile.

We could just ask them what they prefer to do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Big Boner Stacy posted:

We could just ask them what they prefer to do.

Considering the nature of our mission, I assumed it was already decided, that's why I was asking in the first place.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

I edited those in for you. Hopefully the find/replace didn't do anything too weird.

Bone marrow is indeed an issue, but it's not the only issue. There's substantial damage to, well, basically everything. You also can't know for sure who got 3 Gy and who only got 2 Gy, and who took most of that dose to the brain vs to the legs. The safest assumption is a uniform field, but it's probably not the most accurate model.

Having bionic legs won't help your stomach lining, eyes, brain, and other squishy bits inside you. If they were handling a radioactive source, for instance, having bionic arms would indeed help them a lot. This isn't that case here. The bionics will outlive the people though, it takes hundreds of gray to kill electronics, so you could hose off the ones from the dead people to replace broken parts on other people and hope that there are no ghosts in the machine?

Legs and arms might not be helpful, but I would imagine that cybernetic hearts, lungs, livers, and high quality cloned or artificial blood or bone marrow would get the death rate closer to 5% even if we can't do anything about brain damage. How are our supplies of those looking?

edit: Maybe we could wake up just a few, if there are any somewhat vital people in that section? I did vote for keeping them all asleep for now, but that includes starting to work on research on how to save them, which is what I'm going for here.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 31, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I don't get why the science officer is throwing a shitfit over like 1% extra working population. It's not like there's already a plan saying how we should start colonizing the planet. We can take it as slowly as we want. It may even not be necessary to wake up large swathes of the colonists before some basic structures are set up.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Nemo posted:

I don't get why the science officer is throwing a shitfit over like 1% extra working population. It's not like there's already a plan saying how we should start colonizing the planet. We can take it as slowly as we want. It may even not be necessary to wake up large swathes of the colonists before some basic structures are set up.

That might be worth investigating. Maybe she knows someone in the affected colonists?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm pretty sure it's just beep-boop cold science logic. They're not people, they're resources.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the_steve posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just beep-boop cold science logic. They're not people, they're resources.

I still can't believe they didn't put Otto's body into cyro, or at least make some soap, it's not like materials grow on trees any more. For now.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I think you guys need to more seriously consider who we're going to jettison into space while most people are still asleep and we can get away with it. I'm voting psycho scientist and the freaky looking nightmare doctor.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can we eject them while we're still travelling at Cfractional speeds? Get the first strike capability on the ghost planet.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Def keep the Wardens around as advisors. They deserve some serious recognition for their sacrifice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So like uh, when the rest of the people get decanted and we start having population growth and we gonna immediately Borg the babies or what? Gonna ask that for sure eventual question now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Telsa Cola posted:

So like uh, when the rest of the people get decanted and we start having population growth and we gonna immediately Borg the babies or what? Gonna ask that for sure eventual question now.
Nah, I imagine we'd set up a system whereby a child and their parents gradually pick their augments over the course of several years. Consider it a supplement to declaring your college major.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'd imagine heavy augh require the patient to be 18/fully grown as you can't go back, but passive/simple augs that are common for everyone get put in early to encourage youth neuroplasticity to integrate with them better.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

JT Jag posted:

Nah, I imagine we'd set up a system whereby a child and their parents gradually pick their augments over the course of several years. Consider it a supplement to declaring your college major. them upgrades you get when you level up.

Thatīs better.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Chocolate Chunk posted:

C > B > E We can get heat off of the geothermal power, even if our outdoor excursions may be more limited than somewhere warmer. Ensuring that we have that power and don't die from Rocks Falling, our biggest priority is not dieing from radiation.

I. Wake them up slowly, only a few at a time. That'll give them time to recover under good care for the best chance of survival without harming productivity too much. It'll slow us short term, but will be better long-term.

I want to do this and don't have any strong opinions re:naming. A staggered system of thaws keeps the strain on medical down and hopefully still gives us a boost in productivity from the poor SOBs that do make it, or a swan song of labor from those that don't. Plus there's always the chance that someone in that pool is just really drat useful.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Maybe setting people up with some breathing aid wouldn't be such a bad idea at this juncture (assuming it's cheaper long-term than o2 tanks).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just in general, I want to do staggered decanting. Skeleton crew of each occupation, wake up the core systems, get input and so forth.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

the_steve posted:

I believe Olo has said something to the effect of lifespans being quite a bit longer now, so 20 years mostly alone is much less of a sacrifice than it would be for us. Also that they would be helping out with colonization.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

vorebane posted:

I believe Olo has said something to the effect of lifespans being quite a bit longer now, so 20 years mostly alone is much less of a sacrifice than it would be for us. Also that they would be helping out with colonization.

I'm still amazed that they didn't go space crazy and we should get some med techs to do an autopsy on Otto's dried out husk just to be sure his head wasn't caved in with a space wrench.

He should have been tested for 'things that make you fall over and die' conditions, that he did just keel over and die is suspicious in of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Outrail posted:

I'm still amazed that they didn't go space crazy and we should get some med techs to do an autopsy on Otto's dried out husk just to be sure his head wasn't caved in with a space wrench.

He should have been tested for 'things that make you fall over and die' conditions, that he did just keel over and die is suspicious in of itself.

Pulmonary embolisms do basically result in you just keeling over, and are caused by being super sedentary. Which it seemed like Otto and the others, save Bedia, were. This is part of why the warden instructions include getting up and walking around, moving will help avoid some of the "Oh I died" medical issues that twenty years of sitting in a chair can cause.

vorebane posted:

Yes, lifespans are much longer now, although that was pre-war. During the war everyone had a much shorter life expectancy due to the high risk of getting killed by robots.

JT Jag posted:

Nah, I imagine we'd set up a system whereby a child and their parents gradually pick their augments over the course of several years. Consider it a supplement to declaring your college major.

Pre-war augments were a combination of cosmetic, professional, and necessary. Things like replacing limbs lost to accidents, supplementing your ability to do your job (like Dr. Nilsson's(med) doctor eyes that you guys find terrifying), and just deciding you wanted to be better and had the cash to make it happen. During the war it was mostly a way to keep soldiers on the field after debilitating injuries, or to supplement their abilities so they could fight better. Now that you are back to peace time, how augmentations are handled will be a social question that needs to be answered. Everyone will likely have an opinion(especially Silvia(sci), she has lots of them).

Outrail posted:

Can we eject them while we're still travelling at Cfractional speeds? Get the first strike capability on the ghost planet.

You have already decelerated below the point where your ship or anything you launch would be considered relativistic.

the_steve posted:

Considering the nature of our mission, I assumed it was already decided, that's why I was asking in the first place.

The wardens were selected for their suitability to remaining awake during the decades of travel. You guys selected the shortest journey presented, you had options that were three times as long as this trip. How they could contribute to the colony was a secondary consideration.

Bedia has indicated she'd like to continue being a researcher of some sort. She'll probably request to come planetside and work with either Dr. Pagnotto(sci) or Dr. Nilsson(med) and their teams going forward. Cedric and Ann haven't said one way or the other what they would like to do.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Bedia: "I'm not sure. I think I would want to live there for a bit before I decided on a name?"
Ann: "I wouldn't know how to begin naming a planet."
Cedric: "Uhh, well..." He looks a bit nervous, "Otto was a really good person. I know it might not seem like he did a lot, but I promise he did, and he was my friend for decades. I'd say name it Omaissen, after Otto." You know that Otto's full name was Otto Jermaissen. Cedric wants to name the planet in honor of his friend, who died on the way here.

• Locked thread