Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/cavsdan/status/794044658938740736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Granted I only watched during flips over from the baseball game and then the end after it was over, but what game were the Clippers playing? It sure didn't look like basketball. Honestly it looked like both teams were trying to lose and the Clippers just lost harder. Is Jamal Crawford finally old?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BlackDannyOcean/status/794025613396942848

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would not have had the Blazers survive the irrelevant line had I waited until today to do my rankings.

Brolic I am fine with your power rankings even if I don't exactly agree with all of them, it's a subjective thing, and also, week two.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The 3-1 meme is not going away soon.

https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/794039049015017472

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well that's the best thing of the night right there.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
OK, I was wrong. DeRozan will bring the MVP trophy to Canada.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will go to the grave believing that JR ripping off his shirt in a Cleveland Indians luxury box is directly responsible for that Rajai Davis dinger.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

white people scare me

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Suns Win

Nice to join the WINNERS club :feelsgood:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Ramadu posted:

Suns Win

Nice to join the WINNERS club :feelsgood:

Some day the Mavs will get there.

Some day.

Maybe.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NeuroticErotica posted:

Some day the Mavs will get there.

Some day.

Maybe.

:shepicide:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I Believe in Demar Derozan

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/DrawPlayDave/status/794039316318015490/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahahahah

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I thought the general reaction to JVs contract was wondering why he signed a cheap contract. It was certainly mine at least.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hand Row posted:

I thought the general reaction to JVs contract was wondering why he signed a cheap contract. It was certainly mine at least.

Sort of, it was more of a "that's going to be a huge bargain if Casey ever starts using JV as much as he should" thing and while JV is a bargain anyways at this point, Casey still has a tendency to forget that he's on the team

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

EvanTH posted:

it's personally weird to me that it's difficult for some people to see that Melo and Rose are bad

I'm a huge Melo fan (my gimmick is basically diametrically opposed to yours) and he's pretty bad now, and it's bizarre to see a ton of people talking about him like he's still a great player when they were bashing him a few years ago when he actually was pretty good. Melo has had the weirdest career arc in terms of how people have perceived him.

Came into the league super overrated, then people starting massively underrating him because of how overrated he was before, now in the twilight of his career people are suddenly acting like he's a great player again when he hasn't been that good for a few seasons.

Soon, as the knicks continue to slide headfirst into the abyss, people will start blaming Melo for some reason even though the management of the team is completely retarded and has been for over a decade. I'm pretty sure Melo's biggest skill over the course of his career is taking the blame for stuff, which in a way makes him the perfect Knick.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

troofs posted:

I'm a huge Melo fan (my gimmick is basically diametrically opposed to yours) and he's pretty bad now, and it's bizarre to see a ton of people talking about him like he's still a great player when they were bashing him a few years ago when he actually was pretty good. Melo has had the weirdest career arc in terms of how people have perceived him.

Came into the league super overrated, then people starting massively underrating him because of how overrated he was before, now in the twilight of his career people are suddenly acting like he's a great player again when he hasn't been that good for a few seasons.

Soon, as the knicks continue to slide headfirst into the abyss, people will start blaming Melo for some reason even though the management of the team is completely retarded and has been for over a decade. I'm pretty sure Melo's biggest skill over the course of his career is taking the blame for stuff, which in a way makes him the perfect Knick.

Melo's demand for a midseason trade to the knicks, and the knicks actually going out and doing it is the biggest reason the knicks are where they are.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Tae posted:

The Knicks are taking retardation to a new level.

None of that matters. I've never seen such a disinterested team since the Z-Bo/Curry year. Even Porzingis looks checked out, probably from being ignored while Melo and Rose get theirs. Melo struggles to make it back on D half the time.

EDIT: I do find it funny these lazy rear end in a top hat were already throwing the new coach under the bus in preseason.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 3, 2016

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
Which team has the biggest homers as sportscasters? I've been watching games in spanish when possible but from what i've seen okc are pretty big homers. That might just be more a reflection of my watching raptors & thunder games though. It seems like the sweetest gig tbh.

The spaniard announcers are actually pretty insufferable homers in their own way; just losing their minds anytime ricky rubio , jose calderon or a gasol gets a touch.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lowly abject turd posted:

Which team has the biggest homers as sportscasters? I've been watching games in spanish when possible but from what i've seen okc are pretty big homers. That might just be more a reflection of my watching raptors & thunder games though. It seems like the sweetest gig tbh.

The spaniard announcers are actually pretty insufferable homers in their own way; just losing their minds anytime ricky rubio , jose calderon or a gasol gets a touch.

Boston, infamously so.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

lowly abject turd posted:

I remember watching a Blazers stream last year and it was absolutely intolerable, but I think some of their people may have changed. Meanwhile I get to hear Tommy for every Boston home game and while he's probably technically the biggest homer in the world it's mostly used for comedic effect. Almost everyone hates it though

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Houston is pretty bad too.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Boston, Portland and Houston are bad, yeah. Just straight up whining about calls all day long. I feel like Sacramento had some similar problems. Any time your broadcasters call the home team "the good guys" there's probably an issue.

Knicks Stink yet again ugh gonna be a poo poo year

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Portland changed all of their TV guys this season. I haven't listened to the new ones, yet.

OKC, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, and Phoenix are probably all the most homer announcing teams. Not all of them are terrible to listen to, but most are.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The beatdown goes on

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Portland got rid of their homer announcers and replaced them with Kevin Calabro (the former SuperSonics announcers) and Lamar Hurd (PAC12 announcer and former Oregon State player). Of course the fans are upset about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Neil Funk and Stacy King are unabashed homers.

But Stacy King can be actually be really really good when he drops his persona and just talks about the game.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Melo's demand for a midseason trade to the knicks, and the knicks actually going out and doing it is the biggest reason the knicks are where they are.

lmao. See, this is a perfect example.

Melo didn't demand a trade at all, it was the Nuggets who really wanted to trade him. He just said he wanted to be a knick once it became obvious that the Nuggets were planning on shipping him off since they didn't want him to walk for nothing. The only other team that the nuggets talked to were the nets and they offered way less than New York, because James Dolan is a loving idiot.

Secondly, that trade lead to the best run of knicks seasons in a decade and have way less to do with the knicks being poo poo than all the draft picks they traded away after that (they traded 2 picks for loving Bargnani in case you forgot) unless you'd really like to sit here and argue how the knicks would be way better off having kept D'antoni and a team of Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Kosta Koufos, Mozgov and Raymond Felton.

troofs fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 3, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
iirc, the Knicks could've just waited until the summer and signed Melo as a free agent.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Henchman of Santa posted:

Boston, infamously so.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

troofs posted:

lmao. See, this is a perfect example.

Melo didn't demand a trade at all, it was the Nuggets who really wanted to trade him. He just said he wanted to be a knick once it became obvious that the Nuggets were planning on shipping him off. The only other team that the nuggets talked to were the nets and they offered way less than New York, because James Dolan is a loving idiot.

Secondly, that trade lead to the best run of knicks seasons in a decade and have way less to do with the knicks being poo poo than all the draft picks they traded away after that (they traded 2 picks for loving Bargnani) unless you'd really like to sit here and argue how the knicks would be way better off having kept D'antoni and a team of Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Kosta Koufos and Raymond Felton.

Everyone and their mother knew that Melo wanted to play in New York. He was going there one way or another. The decision to trade for him midseason, rather than wait until free agency stripped the Knicks of a huge amount of assets that could have been used for trades to get players, or draft picks. Instead they depleted their roster, maxed out their capspace by extending Melo.

That in turn forced their hand, they had to improve the roster by trading their remaining first rounders for, mostly, bad players.

The Knicks literally had complete bargaining power over the nuggets. Carmelo was all but guarenteed to go to New York in the offseason, and they still gave up the farm for him. And this is exactly what Melo wanted, because he could make more money that way AND play in the city he wanted to.

And that's fine, that's Melo's prerogative and for himself, his family, and his well being it was probably the right move. However if you don't see how that was completely detrimental to the Knicks as they have operated since 2011, I don't know what to tell you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

iirc, the Knicks could've just waited until the summer and signed Melo as a free agent.

The Nuggets were gonna trade him regardless. And whoever they traded him to would give him the max and he probably would have taken it.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Anyone have any hot takes for the last week of the NBA? I've been travelling and missing almost all of it. Looking at the standings I'm shocked/sad that the Mavs and Pels are both winless.

I won money in Las Vegas betting on the Sacramento Kings.

Doubleheader on TNT looks awesome tonight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertine posted:

Anyone have any hot takes for the last week of the NBA?

If Buddy Hield had been playing starter minutes this season, he would have been regarded as worse than rookie Austin Rivers.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Everyone and their mother knew that Melo wanted to play in New York. He was going there one way or another. The decision to trade for him midseason, rather than wait until free agency stripped the Knicks of a huge amount of assets that could have been used for trades to get players, or draft picks. Instead they depleted their roster, maxed out their capspace by extending Melo.

That in turn forced their hand, they had to improve the roster by trading their remaining first rounders for, mostly, bad players.

The Knicks literally had complete bargaining power over the nuggets. Carmelo was all but guarenteed to go to New York in the offseason, and they still gave up the farm for him. And this is exactly what Melo wanted, because he could make more money that way AND play in the city he wanted to.

And that's fine, that's Melo's prerogative and for himself, his family, and his well being it was probably the right move. However if you don't see how that was completely detrimental to the Knicks as they have operated since 2011, I don't know what to tell you.

How did Denver have no power? They could've just as easily traded him somewhere else as a rental. And as far as everyone "knowing" that he was going to NY for sure, if Denver (or some other team that traded for him) had the ability to pay him more, there's no guarantee that he wouldn't have just taken the money.

I think the reason the trade gets poo poo on so much (besides NY being fairly bad since he's been there) is because it's rare superstars actually bring back their value, and Denver actually got close to value in the trade. They maybe could have gave up less, but it's not like any of the players that were traded away ended up being huge difference makers. And the cap isn't even much of a consideration, being that the extensions for the dudes they traded would've been way more than Melo's salary.

I think he's largely done in terms of being a top player (although it's still early in the year), but dude's been consistently underrated throughout his career. He's a great player who just ended up playing roughly the same position at the same time as two dudes who are flat-out better than him (Lebron and KD).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Melo even said later he would have stayed in Denver if he wasn't traded to take the true Max. Denver didn't want to take that risk, which is why New York had to give up assets. I think New Jersey->Brooklyn also wanted him, so New York had to outbid them as well.

In any event, I put the Knicks run of mediocrity squarely on the Knicks, not at all on Melo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

KD v Russell.

Tonight @ 7:30 PM left coast time.

• Locked thread