Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Reminder: The Arizona Fall League all-star game is on tonight on MLB Network. Previous players in the game have included some schlubs named Kris Bryant, Andrew McCutchen and Mike Trout. Baseball's not done yet, guys!

Can't wait to see Tebow tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I like the white sox since I can actually get tickets for them when I'm in town. Last time I bought mine off a nun in full habit just outside the stadium

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Why do jerseys have to be so expensive? I was finally set on possibly getting a Rizzo or a Ross jersey, but they are priced at least half of my rent. :smith:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Miz Kriss posted:

Why do jerseys have to be so expensive? I was finally set on possibly getting a Rizzo or a Ross jersey, but they are priced at least half of my rent. :smith:

Be like half the people you see at the park and play the AliExpress roulette for a cheap Chinese bootleg jersey

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

Be like half the people you see at the park and play the AliExpress roulette for a cheap Chinese bootleg jersey

my favorite player is #43, Anthony Rizzorp

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

my favorite player is #43, Anthony Rizzorp

He's got nothing on future MVP #18 Cris Byrand.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pancakes posted:

Reminder: The Arizona Fall League all-star game is on tonight on MLB Network. Previous players in the game have included some schlubs named Kris Bryant, Andrew McCutchen and Mike Trout. Baseball's not done yet, guys!

The World Series was the series finale, everything afterwards is the lovely reboot. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CascadeBeta posted:

The World Series was the series finale, everything afterwards is the lovely reboot. :colbert:

I prefer to think of it as an after-credits teaser for the next installment.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Apparently Miggy was talking poo poo about Maddon yesterday.

V: I'm not surprised by Miggy having sour grapes, hell I think it's arguably a bit justified. He entered the season thinking he was going to be the #1 catcher, and exited having caught a whopping 2 WS innings and sandwiched between Ross being the media darling and Contreras taking all his innings behind the plate. That said, he picked a lovely time and a lovely way to air his grievances.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That being said, though, Montero's always had a lovely arm and an average bat at best (and the Cubs signed him at a time when pitch framing was the new nebulous hotness), and no one expected Contreras to come up with the on-base skills and defensive abilities that he did. I'm sure it stings, Montero, but you kind of sucked for most of this year.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
How long is Miggy under contract?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

How long is Miggy under contract?

Free agent next year. Prior to Schwarber shredding his knee he was projected to be trade bait this coming offseason, but the Cubs are deluding themselves if they think that fatass can stick behind the plate now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Timby posted:

That being said, though, Montero's always had a lovely arm and an average bat at best (and the Cubs signed him at a time when pitch framing was the new nebulous hotness), and no one expected Contreras to come up with the on-base skills and defensive abilities that he did. I'm sure it stings, Montero, but you kind of sucked for most of this year.

Cubs didn't sign him, the Diamondbacks did. Cubs traded for him expecting he'd be a multi-year mentor to Contreras/Schwarber once called up, in addition to Ross.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You want to see Montero complain? Trade him to Cleveland and have him catch for Bauer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Free agent next year. Prior to Schwarber shredding his knee he was projected to be trade bait this coming offseason, but the Cubs are deluding themselves if they think that fatass can stick behind the plate now.

And even if they could stick Schwarbs behind the plate, trading Miggy means Schwarber doesn't get the benefit of having a veteran catcher around to help him develop. I'd say Contreras has himself a pretty firm grounding, but I don't know if it's firm enough yet to immediately turn around and start helping Schwarber.

SourKraut posted:

Cubs didn't sign him, the Diamondbacks did. Cubs traded for him expecting he'd be a multi-year mentor to Contreras/Schwarber once called up, in addition to Ross.

It's been a pretty open secret that Miggy wasn't exactly thrilled about training his replacement, particularly when Contreras took off running and started to put a dent in Montero's time behind the plate. That said I figured with Ross leaving and Schwarber's knee, Montero would probably be splitting time fairly evenly with Contreras. I'm not sure if Contreras will be quite ready to catch Lester yet (let's just ignore how much of a disaster Miggy's arm + Lester's inability to throw to the bases will be :shepicide:) Lackey's position on Contreras catching him is pretty clear, and while Arrieta tossed a couple good games with Willson this WS, he clearly prefers Montero. So it seems weird to complain about it now when he's got a decent chunk of time behind the plate lined up for next season.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And, coincidentally, Arrieta and Montero are going to hit free agency at the same time.

It would be kind of hilarious if Arrieta demands that Montero be his personal catcher as a condition of signing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs are so completely packed with talent, a lot of players are going to just not be good enough to start for them everyday. La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster. Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs. It sucks for Montero, but it's part of being in the hyper-competitive world of Major League Baseball.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist? I don't think the Yankees will sign anyone of note, but there's a nonzero chance they sign EE to fill out DH and one of Chapman/Jansen to close. Any other moves will probably be trades or something

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for my old copy of MVP Baseball 2005. I think I might be getting sucked back into this sport. :ohdear:

I just wish there was a more current game on PC.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm looking for my old copy of MVP Baseball 2005. I think I might be getting sucked back into this sport. :ohdear:

The death of MVP Baseball was sad. Take-Two / 2K Games was pissed about EA gobbling up the exclusive license for the NFL / NFLPA, so they forked out a poo poo-ton of money to get the exclusive third-party license for MLB ... even though 2K's MLB games had been dogshit for ages upon ages. So EA had to resort to a few years of NCAA games and finally stopped doing baseball games because they went over like a wet fart in church, sales-wise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CascadeBeta posted:

That game was so good. I really miss the MVP series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Aoki is the best! Don't talk mean about my beautiful Aoki!

Also:

2016 Aoki .283/.349/.388
2016 Astros LF .227/.283/.366
2016 Astros CF .210/.270/.355
2016 Astros DH .218/.299/.378

BRING ON MR AOKI

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Carlosologist posted:

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist? I don't think the Yankees will sign anyone of note, but there's a nonzero chance they sign EE to fill out DH and one of Chapman/Jansen to close. Any other moves will probably be trades or something

I hope the Phils sign Greg Holland, Carlos Gomez, Luis Valbuena, and a couple starting pitchers. Andrew Cashner, maybe?

The Phillies are probably not going to have an action-packed offseason. Though they did already acquire Pat Neshek, which I guess is kind of cool.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

CascadeBeta posted:

Just kick back and enjoy Jon Dowd and Zack Greinke's curveball of doom.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster.

...when? B-R says .763, and even then it's only over 169 PA so it's hardly predictive.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs.

For his career, Soler has put up 1.1 total WAR in 765 PA (so just over a season's worth). I'd love to hear which teams he'd automatically be a starter on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mentholmoose posted:

I hope the Phils sign Greg Holland, Carlos Gomez, Luis Valbuena, and a couple starting pitchers. Andrew Cashner, maybe?

The Phillies are probably not going to have an action-packed offseason. Though they did already acquire Pat Neshek, which I guess is kind of cool.

No Valbuena is coming back to play first base :(

(He's most likely gone)

e: I could maybe see him coming back by virtue of the fact that he's the only good left handed hitter on the team currently

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 5, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Just kick back and enjoy Jon Dowd and Zack Greinke's curveball of doom.

people are still updating the game. I downloaded the 2015 version and made all of Hendricks's starts and he finished with the lowest ERA and a Cy Young and I thought well that's a fun, quirky thing to do with a videogame.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Carlosologist posted:

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist?

For the Giants I want their offseason to be:

• Signing Kenley Jansen to be closer
• Signing Mark Melancon to be closer
• Signing Greg Holland to be closer, or if the FO is worried about him coming back from TJ, a setup guy.
• Signing Andrew Miller to be closer

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

There are specially marked bottles. I've heard back from them on the three I've used, and it's saved me about $130 total so far.

How long did it take you to hear back from them? I texted yesterday and sent a picture at the same time, but I haven't heard back from them. So I texted again and sent a different picture of the same UPC after the automated response this morning, but I still haven't heard anything back from them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ammat The Ankh posted:

For the Giants I want their offseason to be:

• Signing Kenley Jansen to be closer
• Signing Mark Melancon to be closer
• Signing Greg Holland to be closer, or if the FO is worried about him coming back from TJ, a setup guy.

If Andrew Miller got signed by the Giants, I would hop right back on that bandwagon and I wouldn't even care.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm really interested in seeing where Cespedes goes despite it likely not panning out at all. He's still got a hell of an arm though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Carlosologist posted:

Assuming the Jays lose Bautista and Encarnacion, I'd be thinking about Beltran, Napoli, maybe Josh Reddick. Michael Saunders can hit the bricks and the Jays could replace him with like, Cespedes or something. I also want Kenley Jansen (but who doesn't, also the Jays aren't even looking in that direction but this is my wishlist dammit).
~*~ wishlists ~*~

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

You know he's not a free agent, right?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

If Andrew Miller got signed by the Giants, I would hop right back on that bandwagon and I wouldn't even care.

isn't miller under contract next year?

my off-season goal is for The Large Lad, Kyle Schwarber, to figure out how to lumber around in the outfield without destroying every ligament in his beefy body

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Jeremy Hazelbaker claimed by Arizona. I'm worried for his safety; scorpions are not as safe to eat as mayflies.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
A closer who is not a garbage human being.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Explosionface posted:

You know he's not a free agent, right?

Also I signed 4 different guys to be closer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Jeremy Hazelbaker claimed by Arizona. I'm worried for his safety; scorpions are not as safe to eat as mayflies.

we're all just waiting for JD Murders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yo Giants we have one (1) lightly used Ricky Nolasco you can have for, like, a popcorn machine

• Locked thread