Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Gonna throw it out there that space chess made me more angry than nappy time did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also when I played the fight against Faise, the little space elf fucker straight up killed me by spamming earth glave.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

After years of hype I find myself disappointed by Nappy time's level of weirdness

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

ProfessorProf posted:

Remember, Limb is fifteen years old.

We know that, but Wet and Co. don't.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pork Lift posted:

Gonna throw it out there that space chess made me more angry than nappy time did

They tried to do the thing were one character beating another to make them more impressive, but as usual it only makes you like both of them far less.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Pork Lift posted:

Space chess was super dumb. Or his species are super dumb. But if they're that dumb, whence the robot bodies?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

But if they're that dumb, whence the robot bodies?

The First Law of Space Robotics is never own a human being.

The Second Law of Space Robotics is in the event the First Law is violated due to a Really Dumb person to become stupider.

The Third Law of Space Robotics is written in crayon. I can't make it out... Is that a 4, or a backwards R?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
These cutscenes are great, and maybe 20% of them are intentionally so!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe he just won a game of space hungry hungry hippos and robot Jox there was crowned world champ at a hipster olympics

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Maybe the chess stuff is a red herring and they had a staring contest. I can see Galactic Champion Wet Maverick winning a game where he sits there and stares blankly for hours at a time.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

Episode 34: The Wet Maverick Appreciation Society
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbni4Y-RlY

Stop being teases and get to the "good" stuff!

Also, I amused that you logicked yourself into doing the things that make Reimi and Faize like you less. :allears:

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Hello fellow 30 year old, Raocow has a youtube channel and still does stuff on the reg.
He is still the same ol raocow too, god bless him.

Limb almost had an emotion this video.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The thing about nappy time is that I'm almost certain that there is another scene people usually post when talking about Star Ocean 4, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm just misremembering and that worries me.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

The thing about nappy time is that I'm almost certain that there is another scene people usually post when talking about Star Ocean 4, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm just misremembering and that worries me.

If you meant the one with the accidental kiss, you are not misremembering; either it hasn't happened yet or we missed our one opportunity to see it.

E: Unless we've seen it already? Or am I confusing the LP play through with mine?

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 5, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

coleman francis posted:

Hello fellow 30 year old, Raocow has a youtube channel and still does stuff on the reg.
He is still the same ol raocow too, god bless him.

He certainly is.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Why doesn't Wet bring up how they managed to stop the evil forces that cost humanity one of its exploration ships and crew? Or how they've found Planet Skyrim, and now EN2 as well, both planets that I'm sure would have no problems with letting some humans settle there. Skyrim especially would benefit from the technology earthlings would bring. And heck, Bacchus' people almost certainly have extensive star charts from their time exploring the galaxy, so that'll be a huge help in finding a planet humanity can fully colonize for its own. Seems like despite their obnoxious anime stereotyping, Wet and the crew have actually made a lot of progress in their primary mission.

Oh right, because it's Star Ocean 4 that's why.

"When I'm alone I feel so lonely." I want to believe this is just a clumsy translation and that her line is not so stupid in the original script. Like being cold on account of the temperature.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Remember, Limb is fifteen years old.

She's mentally and physically 5 despite being alive for fifteen years, but mostly so they can use that as a device to have her be as mature as they feel like for any given scene

Melomane Mallet posted:

E: Unless we've seen it already? Or am I confusing the LP play through with mine?

Not yet

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shoeless posted:

"When I'm alone I feel so lonely." I want to believe this is just a clumsy translation and that her line is not so stupid in the original script. Like being cold on account of the temperature.

It's a terrible line, but I assume it's an attempt to display a very clingy personality without bothering to engage in any subtlety whatsoever. I could see it being as intended.

I feel sorry for the poor person who had to voice this poo poo.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
To be absolutely 100% fair, in Japanese, alone and lonely are completely different words that use completely different kanji: Alone is 一人ぼっち (hitoribocchi) or pretty commonly just 一人 (hitori), the latter literally just meaning one person while lonely is 寂しい (sabishii) so I could see it maybe sounding a little bit less stupid?

wateyad fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 5, 2016

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Nappy time and not chess is what happens when you vote for Jeremy Corbyn.

Curse you Pork Lift Wateyad.

Curse you.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

wateyad posted:

To be absolutely 100% fair, in Japanese, alone and lonely are completely different words that use completely different kanji: Alone is 一人ぼっち (hitoribocchi) or pretty commonly just 一人 (hitori), the latter literally just meaning one person while lonely is 寂しい (sabishii) so I could see it maybe sounding a little bit less stupid?

She says being hitori makes her chest feel すーすー, not really sure what to make of that.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Polsy posted:

She says being hitori makes her chest feel すーすー, not really sure what to make of that.

"When no one's around I feel cold inside." ?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, that'd make sense. The given definition makes it sound like a good kind of cool but I'm not familiar so it could be both.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Deflated?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I was more going for describing the feeling of loneliness using physical sensations instead of emotions than matching the Japanese word exactly. Deflated seems like too fancy of a word for Lymle and already has a somewhat different emotional connotation in English.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If choosing the "I promised to marry you" option lowers SamRaimi's affection, then this game is trying to subvert its anime nature in the stupidest of ways.

Also gently caress Space Chess, Backup clearly threw the match so random people would stop challenging him in the street when he got home.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

wateyad posted:

Polsy posted:

wateyad posted:

"When no one's around I feel cold inside." ?

That actually makes a lot more sense. So it's probably just something that got lost in translation.

Shei-kun posted:

If choosing the "I promised to marry you" option lowers SamRaimi's affection, then this game is trying to subvert its anime nature in the stupidest of ways.

Also gently caress Space Chess, Backup clearly threw the match so random people would stop challenging him in the street when he got home.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Japanese culture rely a lot on non-verbal communication for certain things? I could see it maybe being considered rude to outright say that you promised to marry instead of beating around the bush. It would at least explain why barely any anime protagonists ever outright say it at least.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Shoeless posted:

That actually makes a lot more sense. So it's probably just something that got lost in translation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Japanese culture rely a lot on non-verbal communication for certain things? I could see it maybe being considered rude to outright say that you promised to marry instead of beating around the bush. It would at least explain why barely any anime protagonists ever outright say it at least.

It's not so much it lowers her affection, it's more saying "I promised to marry you" is Reimi +1, while "I'll take you to the stars" is Reimi +3 (because by going on this mission with her, you *have* taken her to the stars, i.e., you kept your promise). The PA with fighting Faize is similar.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Of course it all won't matter because Wet is a dirty thieving pickpocket who no one will ever like.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

D_W posted:

Of course it all won't matter because Wet is a dirty thieving pickpocket who no one will ever like.

Space Captain Edge Maverick: Steals from cats.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mega64 posted:

Banned from three worlds and one moonbase. Where will he ruin next?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mega64 posted:

No dignity.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

D_W posted:

His only memorable characteristic created by Pork Lift and Wateyad.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Cat Burglary is a serious crime, it isn't always non-violent like its glamorized to be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how hard this game is trying to make Wet the Ultimate Protagonist Who Can Do No Wrong, but it keeps failing at it miserably

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how hard this game is trying to make Wet the Ultimate Protagonist Who Can Do No Wrong, but it keeps failing at it miserably

It'll have an amazing pay off in the story soon enough. Trust me.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it fails because an ultimate protagonist who can do no wrong is in and of itself a bad, uncreative thing. It's why people don't like Mary Sues. And even if there is a way to do it without it being obnoxious, as you say the way they're trying to do it here is completely wrong.

Anime was a mistake.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah the reason I've been calling Edge the dumbest person to ever have been given the keys to a spaceship is coming up soon enough and it is glorious.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pork Lift posted:

Wet winning was so dumb that it wrapped around to being great when Backup tells him he's now king of the world because of it. He's clearly just playing with Wet, like how you give your little brother a controller that isn't plugged in when playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shoeless posted:

I think it fails because an ultimate protagonist who can do no wrong is in and of itself a bad, uncreative thing. It's why people don't like Mary Sues. And even if there is a way to do it without it being obnoxious, as you say the way they're trying to do it here is completely wrong.

Anime was a mistake.

We can blame Anime for a lot of this game, but the shining protagonist whose faults actually are hidden strengths is a trope they stole from the west. That chess scene is probably the poorest execution of the trope I've ever seen. So bad I couldn't stop laughing.

• Locked thread