Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Steam has better UI and some basic features but it is, in some ways, a walled garden. GOG is DRM-free. Which is to say that if you want to make copies and hand them out to your friends, GOG is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Basic Chunnel posted:

Steam has better UI and some basic features but it is, in some ways, a walled garden. GOG is DRM-free. Which is to say that if you want to make copies and hand them out to your friends, GOG is the way to go.

Yes but of course we would much rather convince our friends to buy copies/gift them copies because Obsidian is cool and good and we don't want to pirate from Rope Kid and his friends. :milk:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I prefer steam because it's so goddamned easy to use and updates games automagically and poo poo, and has a friends list and all sorts of stuff, but GOG is cool because I respect the hell out of what they're doing and also are owned by CDProjekt who are awesome and deserve all sorts of good poo poo because they make incredible rpg videogames.

I tend to buy modern games on steam, and older games through gog. Most of my library is through steam, so I try to keep it together.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like GoG for DOS games, they are the only service that works really well for classic 80s and 90s computer games. They go through all of the work of getting them playable.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes but of course we would much rather convince our friends to buy copies/gift them copies because Obsidian is cool and good and we don't want to pirate from Rope Kid and his friends. :milk:

Yeah but if they don't know the game exists or don't care what developer it's from then they probably weren't going to buy it anyway. Trying it out they might decide that they like it and buy it. Piracy is cool and good.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I think this is correct. The right people will see Tyranny and buy it.

I'm the person to see this game and give them money. I loved BG/2, IWD/2, PST, NWN2, etc....I had mixed feelings about PoE but still...

I've never heard of this game until writing this post right now.

And I only read this thread because of 100% random chance, that I decided to do something (browse SA forums for the sake of browsing) that I haven't done in literal years.

Anyway, game looks cool! I will probably give it a chance when I have some more free time this winter, but I'm pretty surprised I only found out about it so close to release, and only by accident :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MannersPlease posted:

Anyway, game looks cool! I will probably give it a chance when I have some more free time this winter, but I'm pretty surprised I only found out about it so close to release, and only by accident :(

I've posted in this thread and it was only a week ago that it clicked for me that the game was coming out in a week. But I also felt that PoE was pretty bland, all things story-wise, so I'm deffo going to hold off for a while, even though I know it's a different group writing this one (I think, right? A completely different team?).

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Is there some actual reason to pre-purchase if I'm not interested in the digital junk goodies? Probably the same price whether I purchase now or after the initial release?

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

MannersPlease posted:

I'm the person to see this game and give them money. I loved BG/2, IWD/2, PST, NWN2, etc....I had mixed feelings about PoE but still...

I've never heard of this game until writing this post right now.

And I only read this thread because of 100% random chance, that I decided to do something (browse SA forums for the sake of browsing) that I haven't done in literal years.

The system works!

I'll probably end up playing it later in the winter as well, though I did hear about the game a few months ago due to browsing the PoE thread. So yeah, add me on as another person that discovered the game due to forum browsing.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Drifter posted:

I prefer steam because it's so goddamned easy to use and updates games automagically and poo poo, and has a friends list and all sorts of stuff, but GOG is cool because I respect the hell out of what they're doing and also are owned by CDProjekt who are awesome and deserve all sorts of good poo poo because they make incredible rpg videogames.

I tend to buy modern games on steam, and older games through gog. Most of my library is through steam, so I try to keep it together.
GOG Galaxy may officially still be in beta, and will likely remain in beta for eternity, but it's fully functional by now and I've had less problems with it than Steam.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

YF19pilot posted:

I'm on the fence about this game; mostly because I don't play a lot of RPGs. But I know a couple of people buying it. If I do end up picking it up, what's better, GoG or Steam? (I have accounts on both).

GOG has a better return policy. Since it sounds like you might not like it then I'd say go with them just in case.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a resource on skills, spells, abilities, etcetera I can look at? I like to make warrior scholars. PoE's use of lore as a dialogue and scroll skill was ideal to my preferred lorebarian. Do you have to be an active spellcaster to improve the lore skill?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I don't think there is a need to second guess the marketing. It's not an AAA title and it's unlikely it will make or break Obsidian.

I'm going to get it on Gog when I finally do buy it. I have all my friend on Steam but this isn't a multiplayer game, everything else nice Steam does Gog Galaxy does too. Plus, if this turns out to be great, in ten years Gog may not offer custom made patches to make it work on newer systems, but it's a hell of a lot more likely they will compared to Steam. DRM is not that big of a deal to me but that kind of legacy support is just great.

Stroth posted:

GOG has a better return policy. Since it sounds like you might not like it then I'd say go with them just in case.

I don't know about this though. Steam offers refunds up to 2 hours of play time while Gog only offers refunds if you run into "unsolvable technical problems"?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I don't know about this though. Steam offers refunds up to 2 hours of play time while Gog only offers refunds if you run into "unsolvable technical problems"?

So bullshit it. 2 hours isn't even close to long enough to decide on a game like this. Hell, for a lot of players 2 hours isn't even long enough to finish character creation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Speaking of gog I'm going to put off buying this for a while because I just got Witcher 3 a week ago and it's probably going to take til the end of the year to finish it. By that time I'll know what the patch/DLC situation is for tyranny so yay, everything worked out

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stroth posted:

So bullshit it. 2 hours isn't even close to long enough to decide on a game like this. Hell, for a lot of players 2 hours isn't even long enough to finish character creation.

Eh, 90 minutes was enough for me to save 59€ on Xenoverse 2. It's not the best of all worlds but it's a very decent compromise between something and nothing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Broke my do not ever preorder rule for this game Obsidian owns.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

marshmallow creep posted:

Is there a resource on skills, spells, abilities, etcetera I can look at? I like to make warrior scholars. PoE's use of lore as a dialogue and scroll skill was ideal to my preferred lorebarian. Do you have to be an active spellcaster to improve the lore skill?
Lore, along with Athletics and Subterfuge, are separate skills from the combat related ones apparently.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mechanically, how was Pillars of Eternity? I ended up not buying it because I felt it a bit "meh" in terms of setting, but I am curious how tight they made the gameplay. Some people complained about it in this thread, but I am curious to see how different or if at all Tyranny will be.

(I ask because I am also considering a pre-order due to a sweet Nuuvem discount :v: )

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Transmetropolitan posted:

Mechanically, how was Pillars of Eternity? I ended up not buying it because I felt it a bit "meh" in terms of setting, but I am curious how tight they made the gameplay. Some people complained about it in this thread, but I am curious to see how different or if at all Tyranny will be.

(I ask because I am also considering a pre-order due to a sweet Nuuvem discount :v: )
Personally I found the combat pretty meh as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Accordion Man posted:

Lore, along with Athletics and Subterfuge, are separate skills from the combat related ones apparently.

What I saw earlier today was a video on spell creation that showed that in order to equip spells you need a high lore. So obviously grinding up lore is essential to spell centric characters but is it the same for warrior/rogue like abilities? Is there a benefit for a muscleman to take lore?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

PoE was a "very good" game, gameplay-wise. A pathing problem here, some interface problem there but nothing too bad. The combat was fun but can turn into a massive clusterfuck with 6 of your dudes and 10 of bad guys slugging out while you don''t know what the gently caress. It was an amazing RPG experience with quests solvin' , item lootin' and playing dress up with said items.

What I look forward from Tyranny is the 4 person party size. A party of 6 can and will stomp everything that comes across your way due to having every option at your disposal, in multiples if you wish. I rolled with two Paladins which had like +Accuracy / Crit and +Damage Reduction / Incoming Crit Reduction , 2 x Lay on Hands (huge combat heal), +5 to all defensive stats from paladin only buckler, massive damage with flaming two handed build and god knows what else to the party.

Hell, with 6 dudes you can just right click your way into glory sometimes.

I'm looking forward to skill system as well because keeping some companion you love on the bench because they are not optimal for your combat setup or vice versa (also known as "gently caress you Bioware for Miranda Lawson having both overload and warp ). Now I can dump the unavoidable cringe worthy assholes and roll with Eder-bro party.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Galewolf posted:

I'm looking forward to skill system as well because keeping some companion you love on the bench because they are not optimal for your combat setup or vice versa (also known as "gently caress you Bioware for Miranda Lawson having both overload and warp ). Now I can dump the unavoidable cringe worthy assholes and roll with Eder-bro party.

Miranda was pretty dope. :colbert: Also :lol: if you couldn't beat the ME games with ANY set of characters. If you chose someone to play with, even though you hated them, because they were overpowered that's pretty :spergin: It wasn't a hard set of games.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Personally, I think Pillars is probably the best crpg I've played, mechanically :v: Early game combat isn't great because it feels like enemies have too much health, but once you get a couple levels in it's a varied and fun system with some easily solvable kinks to it (i.e. so many enemies having paralyzing attacks that a priest is mandatory for their anti-cc spells). Though gotta echo Galewolf that 6 party members was too loving many to keep track of in combat.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Depends exactly on what you're looking for in gameplay. I tend to like clear and concrete choices/outcomes, an emphasis on player skill over player knowledge, and 'challenge' as the main goal, so PoE wasn't quite right for me - but you might be after something different.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Another thing to consider in GOG vs Steam is currency conversion. Tyranny from GOG was $7 cheaper for me, because they actually use an Australian RRP, rather than the US one converted into Australian dollars.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2016

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

If you really liked the RTWP tactical gameplay and character building of the Infinity Engine games then Pillars of Eternity will strike you as a (possibly very) good successor to the formulae with some interesting tweaks and innovations. If you *really* liked the Infinity Engine games then maybe you'll hate it though for changing a couple things around. If you're coming from Dragon Age then it's a good point of entry into something less exciting but more tactically crunchy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't understand people dissing PoE about being too confusing or fast-paced combat-wise because you can set the autopausing to become essentially turnbased. Like, Obsidian did a fantastic job with the rtwp/turnbased mechanic.

The gameplay framework and the art are pretty much the only things I'll defend about that game, though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, it wasn't the combat itself in PoE that was bad, just the amount of it. I understood what they were doing in terms of attrition with endurance/health and rest supplies, but it didn't work for me.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, it wasn't the combat itself in PoE that was bad, just the amount of it. I understood what they were doing in terms of attrition with endurance/health and rest supplies, but it didn't work for me.

I got to this part in the expansion Part 2 where I have to enter a room and clear out these weird tree things, but there's like 12-15 enemies in there, I'm flanked on basically 3 sides, the tree things are highly resistant to debuffs, their attacks can confuse me, they can cast spells, and the boss throws boulders that take off half my HP per hit.

I stopped playing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eddain posted:

I got to this part in the expansion Part 2 where I have to enter a room and clear out these weird tree things, but there's like 12-15 enemies in there, I'm flanked on basically 3 sides, the tree things are highly resistant to debuffs, their attacks can confuse me, they can cast spells, and the boss throws boulders that take off half my HP per hit.

I stopped playing.

By the time you get to Part 2, you should be so high level that none of what you describe is vaguely threatening. All things are solvable with copious amounts of party buffs and scrolls.

Potions if you're feeling like really asserting dominance.

That being said, while I loved almost every aspect of PoE to bits, the reduction from a 6 man party to a 4 man party is extremely welcome.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In general I think a lot of people who have issues with difficulty in RPGs fall into the trap of "I won't use this powerful consumable item on this fight, because what if I really need it later on?".

I wonder if an RPG with no actual consumable items (perhaps just cooldowns or refreshes-when-you-rest) would get around this.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Jabor posted:

In general I think a lot of people who have issues with difficulty in RPGs fall into the trap of "I won't use this powerful consumable item on this fight, because what if I really need it later on?".

I wonder if an RPG with no actual consumable items (perhaps just cooldowns or refreshes-when-you-rest) would get around this.

Jade Empire had no consumables (or inventory, really). Whether or not that worked in its favour depends on who you're asking.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Consumables are terrible and exist only so I have things to sell.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I put consumables on the quick bar but always forget to use them :downs:

Also on my play-through on Hard on PoE the only time I actually used the crafting system for Potions/Scrolls were before the many big dragon/wizards fights (delicious scrolls of paralysis)

Here's hoping Tyranny has interesting fights/enemies to kill, the setting is boring enough and there's only like 2 other races besides humans? lame

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kayten posted:

Jade Empire had no consumables (or inventory, really). Whether or not that worked in its favour depends on who you're asking.

Well you had the gems (equipment) you collected, but those were all just "pick the higher number". It mostly worked, but focus and chi regenerated so slowly even out of combat. Dawn Star (who restores chi) was basically my active companion for the entire game. If the non-health resources fully restored after every fight, the game would have had a lot better pacing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Consumables don't feel good because they're garbage like scraps of paper and fantasy sports drinks that you pick up off the ground and when you win by using them it kind of feels like you cheated rather than using skills and tactics that you have developed and are intrinsic to your party. Health and mana potions in games are the exceptions because they're usually balanced in such a way as to be essential to the core gameplay no matter what sort of party you're running.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bolivar posted:

Is there some actual reason to pre-purchase if I'm not interested in the digital junk goodies? Probably the same price whether I purchase now or after the initial release?

The Steam preorder offers you ingame items.

As far as the skills/conversations thing goes, yeah, as far as I can tell from looking at it Lore affects your conversations and your spell casting. Some of the choices at character creation affect your build, but the system is probably flexible enough to let you roll up a lorebarian. Spellcasting and swords, why not?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Your Lorebarian will have no chance against my Barbrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

What I saw earlier today was a video on spell creation that showed that in order to equip spells you need a high lore. So obviously grinding up lore is essential to spell centric characters but is it the same for warrior/rogue like abilities? Is there a benefit for a muscleman to take lore?

I think the main benefit will be making Lore checks during events and conversations.

• Locked thread