Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agrajag posted:

lol i have my fans curve set to super aggressive 50% at 30C and it ramps up even more from there. what with all these wet noodle fan curves you guys are using?

You're making a load of extra noise for absolutely no reason. 30c is absurdly low, most cards don't even turn on the fans at all until 60-67c these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BurritoJustice posted:

You're making a load of extra noise for absolutely no reason. 30c is absurdly low, most cards don't even turn on the fans at all until 60-67c these days.

It's done for a real good reason, to get 26C.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Agrajag posted:

It's done for a real good reason, to get 26C.

Is that your lucky number?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Grundulum posted:

Crossposting from the parts thread, since hey, we have a dedicated GPU thread!

It seems that the EVGA SC card might have problems, so I should be looking at the Gigabyte?

I have that case. Its hard to imagine any two slot cooler (ie standard) not fitting in this case. Here is a pic of a G1 1070 in mine, notice how much space is left height and length. I assume by width you're talking the length, 4.8 inches or whatever is just wrong (or maybe thats the max length if you put a hard drive in the same bay).

Also fat/tall MSI twin frozer coolers fit as well, although its cutting it close, it fits and is no harder to pop in than any other card in this case.

The only fitment issue would be cards wider than 2 slots, those wont fit at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

penus penus penus posted:

Also fat/tall MSI twin frozer coolers fit as well, although its cutting it close, it fits and is no harder to pop in than any other card in this case.

The only fitment issue would be cards wider than 2 slots, those wont fit at all.

Apropos of nothing: "I'm not triple-slot, my mom said I just have fat heatpipes!"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Whelp, I'm glad I have an EVGA card. My 1070 just shat itself somehow. I was only playing shenzhen i/o and when I came back to my computer after getting a drink, it had shut down. Something seems to be shorting out, since the psu clicks a relay when I tried to turn on the computer, and it takes a few minutes to click again, suggesting a fuse got tripped or something. I highly doubt voltage regulators would be the issue for a 2D game :v:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Whelp, I'm glad I have an EVGA card. My 1070 just shat itself somehow. I was only playing shenzhen i/o and when I came back to my computer after getting a drink, it had shut down. Something seems to be shorting out, since the psu clicks a relay when I tried to turn on the computer, and it takes a few minutes to click again, suggesting a fuse got tripped or something. I highly doubt voltage regulators would be the issue for a 2D game :v:

How...how does a high-end gaming video card poo poo itself while running a 2D game in TYOOL 2016? :psyduck:

*Looks up what the game Shenzhen I/O is*

:irony: :psyboom:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Space Chem/Infinifactory guy's been busy.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Get your :tinfoil: hats on. Nvidia added telemetry to the latest drivers/GFE.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Don't use the tool from Major Geeks. You can use the tools Windows provides to accomplish the same thing.

Start off by opening Services. You can either type it into Cortana or navigate to the Windows Administrative Tools folder.

Then scroll down till you find Nvida NetworkService Container. Right click it and select Properties.

Next to where it says Startup Type: click the drop down menu and select Disabled.

Follow the same instructions for NVIDIA Wireless Controller Service.

Now you'll need to open Task Scheduler. You can either type it into Cortana or navigate to the Windows Administrative Tools folder.

Once you've opened Task Scheduler open the Task Scheduler Library in the left window.

You should see several tasks from Nvidia in the center window. Delete them by right clicking and selecting delete.

This will probably have to be done every time you update your drivers. While you're in Services you should disable SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host as well. They're security risks.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

spasticColon posted:

How...how does a high-end gaming video card poo poo itself while running a 2D game in TYOOL 2016? :psyduck:

*Looks up what the game Shenzhen I/O is*

:irony: :psyboom:

I have no loving clue. Luckily, I had upgraded my PSU recently so I still had my old one as well as my old 970 I could troubleshoot with. It's definitely the GPU since both PSUs refuse to run with the 1070, and both run peachy smooth with the 970.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I have that case. Its hard to imagine any two slot cooler (ie standard) not fitting in this case. Here is a pic of a G1 1070 in mine, notice how much space is left height and length. I assume by width you're talking the length, 4.8 inches or whatever is just wrong (or maybe thats the max length if you put a hard drive in the same bay).

I am so confused by this. The Twin Frozr 1070 has a width of 5.5", well wider than the 4.8" that the case says is the max. Guess I should be emailing SilverStone about this, since it doesn't seem like a GPU issue so much as a specific case issue.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Grundulum posted:

I am so confused by this. The Twin Frozr 1070 has a width of 5.5", well wider than the 4.8" that the case says is the max. Guess I should be emailing SilverStone about this, since it doesn't seem like a GPU issue so much as a specific case issue.

I see what you mean. They are using width in place of height lol. That's just confusing and wrong on their part.

The real maximum width is much less than 5 inches, but they don't list that value at all. That doesn't matter very much though of course. Just don't buy one of the crazy wide ones

Made me dig for this pic but here's my case back when I had a 980ti. Different gen but its the same dimensions. Now that I think about it you may have to remove this tiny plastic "corner brace" to fit that one. No more than 2 obvious screws and I quote corner brace because this case has absurd bracing from the unreal amount of screws. The brace is not required for anything

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tanreall posted:

Get your :tinfoil: hats on. Nvidia added telemetry to the latest drivers/GFE.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Don't use the tool from Major Geeks. You can use the tools Windows provides to accomplish the same thing.

Start off by opening Services. You can either type it into Cortana or navigate to the Windows Administrative Tools folder.

Then scroll down till you find Nvida NetworkService Container. Right click it and select Properties.

Next to where it says Startup Type: click the drop down menu and select Disabled.

Follow the same instructions for NVIDIA Wireless Controller Service.

Now you'll need to open Task Scheduler. You can either type it into Cortana or navigate to the Windows Administrative Tools folder.

Once you've opened Task Scheduler open the Task Scheduler Library in the left window.

You should see several tasks from Nvidia in the center window. Delete them by right clicking and selecting delete.

This will probably have to be done every time you update your drivers. While you're in Services you should disable SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host as well. They're security risks.

Is it sending unencrypted?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I see what you mean. They are using width in place of height lol. That's just confusing and wrong on their part.

The real maximum width is much less than 5 inches, but they don't list that value at all. That doesn't matter very much though of course. Just don't buy one of the crazy wide ones

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that people have successfully fit basically any card I could want into an RVZ02.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Protip for Nvidia: Call it the "Nvidia Crash Reporter Service" next time.

The internet only gets outraged at telemetry if you actually use the word "telemetry" :ssh:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that people have successfully fit basically any card I could want into an RVZ02.

Yes its an excellent design in terms of layout. The biggest issue I have with the case is I feel like somebody was tasked with making the case actually fit together, but was an idiot who couldn't figure it out and simply said "add more screws".

I mean it works just fine but its pretty inelegant how the panels actually fit.

A few other nitpicks. The PSU extension cable was like backwards or something (can't remember specifics now but I sure remember it was annoying to work with). One of the 2.5 inch drive slots is offset slightly for no reason making plugging in the cables very difficult on that one drive. The dust filter over the GPU raised my temp 5 degrees, but I just removed it. Cleaning the GPU chamber is as easy as it gets so its no bother at all.

The pros outweigh the cons however - easily. The chamber separation rules and pretty much everything important is solid. The 90 degree PCIe slot adapter method they use is way more solid than the actual PCIe slot itself on the motherboard. The layout is magic. It doesn't run like the oven you think it would. CPU coolers even at those tiny extremes actually don't make a lot of noise (!). All this and it fits behind my monitor !

I was also interested in the Node 202 but that wasn't released at the time

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This case seems cool and good, is there a way to cover the bottom half? Or is there a cooling benefit to leaving the CPU backplate exposed?

Setset fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 6, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lube banjo posted:

This case seems cool and good, but is there a way to cover the bottom half? Or is there a cooling benefit to leaving the CPU backplate exposed?

i think its mainly for ease of access for the cpu cooler

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lube banjo posted:

This case seems cool and good, is there a way to cover the bottom half? Or is there a cooling benefit to leaving the CPU backplate exposed?

That's because the side panel is off in the picture, normally all of that is covered except for some ventilation for the GPU.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it sending unencrypted?

I don't know but you would hope it's encrypted.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's because the side panel is off in the picture, normally all of that is covered except for some ventilation for the GPU.

Lube banjo posted:

Yeah it looks fairly normal otherwise. I've long ago ditched the GPU panel for thermals and I don't see the thing anyway

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Tanreall posted:

I don't know but you would hope it's encrypted.

He's implying that it's not an issue or that you can't tell if it's telemetry if it's encrypted. Thumb through the windows 10 thread if you want a head start on the excuses people will bring up to defend this.

I installed it from scratch and it looks like the actual telemetry is encrypted but the nvidia/google JS and associated tags in the app and installer aren't.

repiv posted:

The internet only gets outraged at telemetry if you actually use the word "telemetry" :ssh:

It wouldn't have been so bad if it were opt-in or even opt-out when you install it. Let's be real here, it doesn't look good when you silently add it after your well-received 'log into your driver with facebook' update.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CanardPC spoofed the SSL certificate to decrypt the telemetry info: http://www.canardpc.com/download/cpchw/hw29.getsugar.log

:shrug:

ItBurns posted:

It wouldn't have been so bad if it were opt-in or even opt-out when you install it. Let's be real here, it doesn't look good when you silently add it after your well-received 'log into your driver with facebook' update.

True, it wouldn't hurt to make it opt-in.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

repiv posted:

CanardPC spoofed the SSL certificate to decrypt the telemetry info: http://www.canardpc.com/download/cpchw/hw29.getsugar.log

:shrug:

True, it wouldn't hurt to make it opt-in.

The contents looks pretty much exactly what you'd expect a GPU/driver manufacturer to want to know: hardware (CPU, MB, HD, monitor, Windows version), drivers and driver settings, games and their exact versions, and some feedback whether whatever spam they have in the driver has ever had any effect.

Making it opt-in would be the polite thing to do, but as long as that is what they are sending you shouldn't turn this off: this kind of info is a godsend if you actually have to make decisions what to support or focus on during development. The alternative is guessing or listening to the loudest customers who make the most fuss.

quote:

If you're smart this goes into your "automatic update check" :-)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
wait they didnt send that info already ? jeez

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ItBurns posted:

He's implying that it's not an issue or that you can't tell if it's telemetry if it's encrypted. Thumb through the windows 10 thread if you want a head start on the excuses people will bring up to defend this.

Well, I was only wondering what exactly it was sending back and at what security level - if it was unencrypted that's an additional layer of bad. If it's dialing back without asking the user first, people should get annoyed at it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What's the issue with encrypted anonymized data that isn't shared with anyone and is used to make the product you use better?

Also lol if any of you have launched a game / steam / other game launcher this information has absolutely been sent out a dozen times already.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

What's the issue with encrypted anonymized data that isn't shared with anyone and is used to make the product you use better?

Also lol if any of you have launched a game / steam / other game launcher this information has absolutely been sent out a dozen times already.

Who cares what the issue is? The issue isn't with the data, but with the fact that you're not asked if you want to share it. You might not have an issue with it, but someone else might.

Also lol nice whataboutism

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

I'm not :tinfoil: about it, but you have a bunch of assumptions there, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesn't hold.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Its really going to depend what the info is. Considering how many times Nvidia used the word "telemetry" and created a new telemetry folder its not exactly hidden. In any case, no info about it lame etc. That's gonna change though

If you wanna get spooked just remember Nvidia has the most advanced data mining behavioral analysis hardware ever made and once they figure out your darkest kink that you don't even know about yet... Someone at Nvidia will masturbate to it.

Also top comment on Nvidia article

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Truga posted:

Who cares what the issue is? The issue isn't with the data, but with the fact that you're not asked if you want to share it. You might not have an issue with it, but someone else might.

It's not whataboutism. I'm directly suggesting that sharing hardware setups with hardware vendors is a normal practice.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not :tinfoil: about it, but you have a bunch of assumptions there, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them doesn't hold.
And herein lies the teat the techblogs suck at.
If it's unencrypted; "NVIDIA EXPOSE PRIVATE DATA TO EVERYONE"
If it's encrypted properly: "NVIDIA SECRETLY SPY ON YOU AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY STEAL"

FWIW that guy who MITM'd the traffic showed it did exactly what I suggested.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

It's not whataboutism. I'm directly suggesting that sharing hardware setups with hardware vendors is a normal practice.

Yes it is. No it isn't.

It's nice of you that you argue for the poor poor guy nvidia here, but undisclosed gathering of *any* data at all is not normal practice, and is in fact illegal in many places, for very very good reasons. There needs to be some kind of notice about uploading data, even if contents is literally just dickbutt jpegs.

Do you think Microsoft wanted to give you all the options they do when you install windows, if you don't click express settings? Hahaha, of course not, but they're required to do it. And this thing just installed itself with some GFE update? Yikes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

If it's unencrypted; "NVIDIA EXPOSE PRIVATE DATA TO EVERYONE"
If it's encrypted properly: "NVIDIA SECRETLY SPY ON YOU AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY STEAL"

I was assuming that it was encrypted properly in transit, actually.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

I know this may be hard to get one's head around the first time around, but bear with me.

In this day and age, data *is* money. Doesn't matter how much or how little, it can always be bent and wielded to make more money.

With just the snippet of data that someone linked to up there? Just as a hypothetical, Nvidia can, once they've compiled it all, and go to studios working on games and say "Hey, look at how many of people who play modern AAA titles are using Nvidia cards. Clearly you've got to compete and use our proprietary effects and slap our branding on your game too!" Because it's a mindshare kind of thing, yeah?

Or, used differently, you can see what games that people on older cards are playing. Nvidia can then go to the people who make those games, say, "Hey, we would like to do a pack-in deal featuring your game! It will give your game increase visibility and drive your playerbase!" then go to market with a promo of a current-gen card that's in the same performance bracket, with a voucher for something for the free game saying, "I mean look, we know you love the game, but you know that performance could be better... why not buy the card and get something for a game you're already playing?"

And it's irrefutable, I mean come on, Nvidia has all this _data_ you're not going to argue with _data_ are you? What kind of blind idiot manager are you?

Either way, it's more money in Nvidia's pocket.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 7, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Truga posted:

It's nice of you that you argue for the poor poor guy nvidia here, but undisclosed gathering of *any* data at all is not normal practice, and is in fact illegal in many places, for very very good reasons. There needs to be some kind of notice about uploading data, even if contents is literally just dickbutt jpegs.

When you say "undisclosed gathering" who are you referring to? Because NVidia discloses their gathering:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

biznatchio posted:

When you say "undisclosed gathering" who are you referring to?

Yeah, they're not dumb enough to skip it in the ToU. Didn't people already write about that clause when GFE first debuted?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

biznatchio posted:

When you say "undisclosed gathering" who are you referring to? Because NVidia discloses their gathering:

Come on now, don't you know that that doesn't count since Nvidia is The Devil?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Come on now, don't you know that that doesn't count since Nvidia is The Devil?

EULA/ToU's have also been repeatedly beaten down in court as something that literally no one reads, or can be reasonably expected to read.

But yeah, not having an option to disable telemetry on a program that NVidia has been clearly trying to push as The One True Way for driver updates et al is a pretty crappy thing to do.

There's a reason most other info-gathering programs have some sort of checkbox for "Help <company> make your experience super better by sharing some info with us!" and it's not just because they're all stand-up guys.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 7, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Doesn't GFE require end user data scrapes in order to 'optimize' or whatever it is supposed to do for games? How else would such a program work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

EULA/ToU's have also been repeatedly beaten down in court as something that literally no one reads, or can be reasonably expected to read.

Yep. EULAs are not legally binding and should not be considered consent. I believe there was a study done, saying reading the EULAs that a typical person skips through in a year would take a month of straight reading.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Doesn't GFE require end user data scrapes in order to 'optimize' or whatever it is supposed to do for games? How else would such a program work

The issue is that it's now phoning that data home