Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lex passes on paragon though. He's at least an okay father to literally everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
what does paragon do for my level 30 power fantasy, huh?? nothing. benched. go father a trebuchet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet you paired Levin with Fury instead of Tiltyu

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who's the best husband for the girl who get locked up and died from depression?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

who's the best husband for the girl who get locked up and died from depression?

levin

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's holsety not holarthur you freaks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not holced either :twisted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how when you give holsety to arthur the game literally breaks and enemies will just refuse to attack him because he has too much evade

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

arden owns

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I do think the games would be better with more limited S pairings. Not just from a writing standpoint but from a gameplay one. With the way inheritance worked in Fates I literally had to write massive spreadsheets to gain even the most basic understand of what kids would look like with certain pairings. Awakening was just about manageable but when you have class conditionals as well as stat conditionals trying to understand the system gets crazy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

i like how when you give holsety to arthur the game literally breaks and enemies will just refuse to attack him because he has too much evade

I think that's only true usually if he's on terrain. Though the luck stat is highly random so maybe if he rolls well it'll push them to zero hit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I do think the games would be better with more limited S pairings. Not just from a writing standpoint but from a gameplay one. With the way inheritance worked in Fates I literally had to write massive spreadsheets to gain even the most basic understand of what kids would look like with certain pairings. Awakening was just about manageable but when you have class conditionals as well as stat conditionals trying to understand the system gets crazy.

you could have just used the inheritance planner instead you know

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I bet you paired Levin with Fury instead of Tiltyu

Strong pairings...weak pairings. True strategists play with their favorites...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

With the way inheritance worked in Fates I literally had to write massive spreadsheets to gain even the most basic understand of what kids would look like with certain pairings
uh, lol

is it really that hard to just look at the kid's base growths, look at the mother's growths, then imagine the mother slightly pushing or pulling the kid in different directions

it's not like there's anything in the game that requires perfect minmaxing

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Overthinking poo poo in videogames is a proud SA tradition.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Magic kid -> Give magic mom

Physical kid -> Give physical mom

Alternatively pair up whoever you think looks cute together because the game is not difficult enough that you need to minmax.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 7, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

uh, lol

is it really that hard to just look at the kid's base growths, look at the mother's growths, then imagine the mother slightly pushing or pulling the kid in different directions

Multiplayer :unsmigghh:

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Carefully optimized eugenics is its own reward. Or it was in Awakening, anyway. In Fates, for lack of anything like Apotheosis to throw a team of optimized uberkids at I couldn't even be assed to finish setting them all up or to care all that much when I accidentally wiped that file.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I very much enjoyed planning things while waiting for NoE to be done with with the FIGS translation my country wouldn't use anywayhandhelds don't use video formats anyway what the gently caress does Australia still count as PAL for, but as far as actually executing it in-game beyond just "yeah, these are the pairings I'm going for"? Ehhh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

Carefully optimized eugenics is its own reward. Or it was in Awakening, anyway. In Fates, for lack of anything like Apotheosis to throw a team of optimized uberkids at I couldn't even be assed to finish setting them all up or to care all that much when I accidentally wiped that file.

I think the online is also a negative factor here.

Being able to buy the skills you want means that they're much less interesting from a pairing standpoint. Why reclass and deal with E rank hell when you could just pick up the skill from some other schmuck? Hurts enthusiasm at the start when you're theorycrafting, and with no ultra maps (and with Fates's DLC design philosophy meaning any challenge maps would probably give you preset units anyway), it's hard to give a poo poo, even beyond the way the kids are obviously tacked on.

It's a shame. The game has a lot of potentially neat systems in play with reclassing and skills, but there's no real reason to engage with them outside of multi, where hacking ruins the tiny bit of potential left that the bad idea had in the first place.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

uh, lol

Lunatic Classic conquest no grinding no royals plus whatever other rules I'd add on as I got more and more bored. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have put so many restrictions on myself.

Also from a perception perspective, most growth rates will hover between around 40 and 60% or so. The issue I find is that I perceive those to be similar enough to be indifferent most of the time, whereas in FE they matter a lot.

Also, I like spreadsheets.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could have just used the inheritance planner instead you know

I never found one that showed me everything that I wanted. At best there were sheets that showed endgame stats and abilities but I couldn't find anything that showed all of those and growths.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Lunatic Classic conquest no grinding no royals plus whatever other rules I'd add on as I got more and more bored. In
I never found one that showed me everything that I wanted. At best there were sheets that showed endgame stats and abilities but I couldn't find anything that showed all of those and growths.

I guess it's a bit late now but everyone was using this: https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I guess it's a bit late now but everyone was using this: https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com

Clearly not optimal, it doesn't have any of the pairings I'm using.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AlphaKretin posted:

Well gently caress.

This is what I get for being European and avoiding the thread for the entire American release window.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
TIL Fates doesn't save your chapter action by action. This was probably a thing since awakening or something and silly me forgot. But i still owned myself leaving the battery to die instead of finishing the last turn of the chapter I've been on for two days.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fe hasn't done that since the gba. RIP

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Gettin nostalgic about loading the suspend file to see Hector get stabbed to death over and over again.

For some reason I always hoped he would live the second or third time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The music in Fates is real good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I unironically really love lost in thoughts all alone and I want Matthew Mercer to serenade me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

Gettin nostalgic about loading the suspend file to see Hector get stabbed to death over and over again.

For some reason I always hoped he would live the second or third time.

Pretty surre literally everyone who ever played FE7/8 savescumed the poo poo out of suspend file until it was easier to restart.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty surre literally everyone who ever played FE7/8 savescumed the poo poo out of suspend file until it was easier to restart.

it wasnt really savescumming at all, was the point of the system

i think the only decision you could back out of was the opening arena menu?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I savescummed a lot in Radiant Dawn

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Battle saves were a mistake

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I used them a lot in Awakening because of the bullshit reinforcements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I unironically really love lost in thoughts all alone and I want Matthew Mercer to serenade me

I like it okay (End of All Land is excellent, I'll admit that one for free.) but holy Hell it was overused. Like, half the tracks in the game pulled from it, it's one of Azura's vocal bits, she sings it in combat...

Even a really good track gets old with that treatment, especially if it has vocals.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Space Flower posted:

it wasnt really savescumming at all, was the point of the system

i think the only decision you could back out of was the opening arena menu?

No, I mean that until people realized the RNG was fixed they probably tried savescumming when they saw their suspend file right before the death. And did it over and over again.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Battle Saves were cool in the DS games since they were limited and took an action to use.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Rage quitting from a crit killing someone in the GBA game was the best because if you picked up your GBA later and forgot what you were doing you would immediately get reminded as the game replays the battle.

I actually liked it a lot functionally. Not as exploitable as Battle Saves but still let you turn off your GBA whenever since Sleep Mode wasn't really a thing yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Well gently caress.

This is what I get for being European and avoiding the thread for the entire American release window.

Here's the improved version, courtesy of AlphaKretin

https://alphakretin.github.io/fefatesplan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, yeah. I was considering mentioning it, but I figured everyone who uses it already has the link directly. Also because of all the missing images I have to watch git choke on for a while one day. :v:

E: To be clear, because the URL isn't, that's the mod I did that rudimentarily includes the gayhack pairings.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 8, 2016