Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Make his retirement fund disappear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what is it about australian internet forums are utter brainless dickheads

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Don't sign your posts.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Must be a users only subforum.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Don't sign your posts.

closing my account

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So now we're snatching refugees in the middle of the night and deporting them if they arrived via boat while on a valid visa.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Not exclusive to forums or the internet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BBJoey posted:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/senate-committee-says-george-brandis-mislead-parliament/8006842 :haw:

(This may be the article referenced on the previous page but there wasn't a URL soooo)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Imagine facilitating that and not even having the decency to hang yourself.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah OCAU, when you're too stupid for Whirlpool

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine facilitating that and not even having the decency to hang yourself.

Well at least they aren't mixing broken glass into the camp food like they did in the Boer war.

Yet.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I don't know how to feel any more - is this what it was like in Germany or Spain when people were being disappeared - you just say 'that's hosed but what can I do?'

I really hope I'm wrong about Hell not existing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Malcolm Roberts has a livestream up on facebook talking about climate change.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

You Am I posted:

Ah OCAU, when you're too stupid for Whirlpool

Whirlpool was very helpful with my ISP issues recently :(

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorilla Salad posted:

New NT tourism slogan:

:australia:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hello friends it is good to be back

also ratbag craig please gently caress off if you think that the racial discrimination act is somehow a bad thing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
NYTimes' piece on the Marriage Equality plebiscite being voted down makes out like the LNP are the ones who want ME to happen and everyone else are just being bigots

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/world/australia/australia-same-sex-marriage.html?_r=0

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It wasn't too bad. This

quote:

It was unclear what action supporters of legalization might take next. Mr. Turnbull had resisted discussing the issue ahead of the Senate vote.

was probably the worst, most misleading line, but they mention straight after that Labor and the Greens support SSM, and why they opposed the plebiscite.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The first five paragraphs read completely as if Labour and The Greens have killed ME in Aus for ages

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
To be fair it's dead till 2020 unless another DD happens

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

starkebn posted:

NYTimes' piece on the Marriage Equality plebiscite being voted down makes out like the LNP are the ones who want ME to happen and everyone else are just being bigots

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/world/australia/australia-same-sex-marriage.html?_r=0

Note that they use the term Vote and don't mention it's nonbinding in the head lines.

Edit: But then the article appears to be fairly neutral? Except for the odd way they delay some important facts.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It wasn't too bad. This

was probably the worst, most misleading line, but they mention straight after that Labor and the Greens support SSM, and why they opposed the plebiscite.

Yeah basically that.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 8, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

To be fair it's dead till 2020 unless another DD happens

Nah.

The Greens won't drop it. Labor probably would if it became stale, but it's too easy a stick to hit Turnbull with.

In the unlikely combination scenario that Turnbull is PM 2 years from now, and their hasn't been a parliamentary vote, Labor will still hit Turnbull with public requests for a vote. By that point the media narrative won't be about the plebiscite, it will be Turnbull either blocking a vote or voting a bill down.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You need a transfer system regardless of whether there's a GST or not. It's completely unavoidable unless you want a radically different economic system or you want to kill poor people.

In any case, transnational corporations are rewriting the rules with state compliance to suit themselves so everyone is hosed. It's a little bit :tinfoil: but we're getting to the point of effective transnational command economies where the supply chain is controlled, and any interference will have penalties such as suggested in the TPP or perhaps worse. Fortunately this is only likely in a few specific cases. Unfortunately, the whole apparatus is vulnerable to poo poo HappeningTM like natural events, wars, etc which fucks us over worse.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Senor Tron posted:

Nah.

The Greens won't drop it. Labor probably would if it became stale, but it's too easy a stick to hit Turnbull with.

In the unlikely combination scenario that Turnbull is PM 2 years from now, and their hasn't been a parliamentary vote, Labor will still hit Turnbull with public requests for a vote. By that point the media narrative won't be about the plebiscite, it will be Turnbull either blocking a vote or voting a bill down.

There is absolutely zero chance of Turnbull keeping his job at this point if he brings on a vote for ssm. It's dead as in it's not going to be legislated this term or some Libs cross the floor for a private members bill.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

There is absolutely zero chance of Turnbull keeping his job at this point if he brings on a vote for ssm. It's dead as in it's not going to be legislated this term or some Libs cross the floor for a private members bill.

Oh totally. But unless he can find some new issue to get the public latched onto (see the Coalition trying to go back to the BOAT PEOPLE boogeyman) then he is going to persist in doing poorly in public polls due to a perception of having no spine.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://twitter.com/DoctorKarl/status/795961829147058176

:getin:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

https://twitter.com/SenatorMRoberts/status/795962833062113281

https://twitter.com/DoctorKarl/status/795964032796815360

:kheldragar:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Didn't this guy gently caress up his own presser? Karl's going to hand him his rear end.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Like imagine being so loving stupid that you weren't anxious at all about being in a debate on a subject you knew nothing about.

It must be nice in some ways not to ever suffer imposter syndrome. :unsmith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Like imagine being so loving stupid that you weren't anxious at all about being in a debate on a subject you knew nothing about.

It must be nice in some ways not to ever suffer imposter syndrome. :unsmith:

Dunning-Krugerands because gold never goes down.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
One problem I can see is that these people come up with so much bullshit on the fly it's hard to keep up and debunk them - and in a debate, saying something like 'did you get this from peer-reviewed research or did you get it from something like christianclimatetruth.com?' doesn't really go over well with an audience. Karl has spoken a lot on climate change and whacked many moles over the years, but I wonder what would happen if Roberts suddenly came out with IF CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL WHY ISN'T THE MOON GREEN or something like that which just makes you go 'buh?!'

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Karl is however very good at talking, and explaining scientific concepts, to children.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
The end result of any debate between then is negligible anyway. There will be some laughs no doubt but very few will be swayed one way or another. If you don't believe in climate change yet then no amount of fact is going to change your mind. The best of will do is show that a senate seat is held by someone detached from reality.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Karl is however very good at talking, and explaining scientific concepts, to children.

Yeah, this, he's been taking questions without notice on the dumbest poo poo imaginable weekly for decades

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I like when people ask him about superstitious or supernatural stuff looking for science answers and he goes on script but very sincerely about the million dollars they can get from the skeptics society when they demonstrate their ability.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I am not confident about the voting numbers on the lifetime ban bill

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kick his rear end Karl

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Trumps gonna win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Reminder that Robets sat opposite Brian Cox, ignored everything said to him and just kept saying 'show me the empirical evidence' over and over.

• Locked thread