Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey, guys. Sorry for the lack of uploads...life stuff, etc, etc. Planning on getting back into this series by Monday next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - Undead Melodrama
We explain to the Prince what happened in the museum and check out our next hub - Hollywood!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:neckbeard:

But how do you wear an albatross by the way?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

With gravitas

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Poil posted:

Like this:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, of course. How silly of me not to know that. It does make a smashing fashion accessory though. :v:

In preparation for the next video, which I assume is going to involve a trip up the Asp Hole, here are the two songs that play in it. Apologies for the poo poo quality of the first but it is the official video on the record company's channel:

Tiamat - Cain (the relevance to the game is not subtle in the slightest)
Lacuna Coil - Swamped (this is also the song that plays at the credits, and the album cover is a poster up the wall near the bed in the Santa Monica safehouse, close to the the door if memory serves)

The devs have good taste in music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like the writing in the Prince's monologues such as this one. It does a great job painting him as a pretentious, two-faced gently caress who makes a big number about how the sarcofagus "must not fall into the wrong hands lest it be exploited!" while obviously just wanting it for his own power-hungry shenanigans.

Poil posted:

The devs have good taste in music.
Yeah they have the whole "urban gothic" feel down pat.

One band I discovered thanks to a poster you see on walls in the game is The Empire Hideous, they're pretty good stuff if you like gothic rock, and would also fit any of the clubs in the game perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q9A5g1D8Wc

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not sure about Domination, but Dementation definitely works on Samantha.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Not sure about Domination, but Dementation definitely works on Samantha.
It's me, your pet turtle you had as a kid.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - Get Down in Grave Town
We head to the nearby graveyard in search of Isaac's tape, and do a couple favors for the caretaker.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You've successfully pimped for Romero, your mother would be proud.

Considering you've spent time at the graveyard getting zombie splatter everywhere, took a quick dip in the sewer and hung around in an internet cafe you must smell really terrible at this point. :barf:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Poil posted:

You've successfully pimped for Romero, your mother would be proud.

Considering you've spent time at the graveyard getting zombie splatter everywhere, took a quick dip in the sewer and hung around in an internet cafe you must smell really terrible at this point. :barf:

To quote Smiling Jack: "I bathe. Occasionally."

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Haha, yeah pretty much. Can't remember, but with luck maybe we'll be able to buy a new set of clothes soon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ugh, the gate defense quest is almost impossible to do without whatever the bullettime power is. Almost impossible and incredibly stressful. I've managed it on every character but it isn't fun, at all.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 28 - Stone Zone
We return the tape to Isaac with grisly results and do a side job that helps both him and Max.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I'm convinced you have some different version of the unofficial patch that tweaks that graveyard zombie quest, because goddamn I've always found it straight-up undoable legitly, at least without Celerity.
You weren't even doing anything differently than what I've tried. I'd keep bolting back and forth between the gates killing off a number of zombies at both ends, just like you were, and then the gates would go down when there was still like a minute left.
Fortunately the quest can be cheesed. If you immediately make a beeline to the furthest corner of the cemetery, behind the big mausoleum thing where the tape was, you'll be so far from both gates that the game doesn't process the zombies or something. Then you can just sit there and pick your nose until the timer runs down.

When I saw you hesitating with the Colt Anaconda I was going like DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE IT, and was relieved when you did grab it. I find that gun is pretty much the point in the game where guns go from "functional I guess" to "actually really good". It's accurate at range with the default fire mode, and with the secondary mode it just pulps things up close. I always grab it first thing when I arrive in Hollywood.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I remember failing the graveyard quest even with Celerity in my first playthrough as a Toreador. Mostly because there's no indication you have to protect both gates unless you're paying attention, which I obviously wasn't at the time. My theory is that part of being successful is allowing yourself to skip some zombies to focus on the ones that are closest to the gates. That and being able to one shot some of them - I feel like I got quite a few lucky strikes in with melee weapons which just gibbed the zombies. Honestly it looked to me like the front gate was pretty close to going down as I tried to clean things up at the end.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I've had zero problem one-shotting the zombies more often than not, and have pretty much ignored the ones in the middle, just darting back and forth from gate to gate killing the zombies that were at or near them, and still I had no hope in hell of succeeding. I've tried guns, I've tried the sword, I've tried the fire axe that's pretty reliable at oneshotting them since it hits the head real easily, and nope, always the same thing. I run to one gate and by the time I get there there are already new zombies banging at the one I just left, and inevitably one of the gates goes down. In your video it seriously looked like the gates just plain had more HP or something, since as I said I've tried the exact same approach you did and done no worse in killing the zombies. It's weird.

I realize I'm probably sounding exceedingly salty over such a small thing, but man, gently caress that quest. :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nordick posted:

Yeah I've had zero problem one-shotting the zombies more often than not, and have pretty much ignored the ones in the middle, just darting back and forth from gate to gate killing the zombies that were at or near them, and still I had no hope in hell of succeeding. I've tried guns, I've tried the sword, I've tried the fire axe that's pretty reliable at oneshotting them since it hits the head real easily, and nope, always the same thing. I run to one gate and by the time I get there there are already new zombies banging at the one I just left, and inevitably one of the gates goes down. In your video it seriously looked like the gates just plain had more HP or something, since as I said I've tried the exact same approach you did and done no worse in killing the zombies. It's weird.

I realize I'm probably sounding exceedingly salty over such a small thing, but man, gently caress that quest. :v:

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe the Plus Patch I'm using did indeed tweak that. If so, I'm OK with it!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't know whether it's a deliberate thing to show that maybe Lacroix speaks English as a second language or isn't as smart as he thinks, or if it was just the writers trying to sound smart, but the word "remiss" is completely misused in that email.

Nordick posted:

Man, I'm convinced you have some different version of the unofficial patch that tweaks that graveyard zombie quest, because goddamn I've always found it straight-up undoable legitly, at least without Celerity.
I've done it in the unmodded game, without too much difficulty even. I think it just relies on you having built your character for combat. The first time I played I don't think I made it that far, and the second time I was forewarned that I'd need a combat focus to get through some stuff, so I think that may have made the difference? Of all the bits people complain about in this game, that's the one I didn't really see the issue with.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 29 - Dirty Dog
We check out some of the more explicit venues in Hollywood as we search for the missing half of the tape.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've always wondered where Chastity was hiding that sword of hers. :pwn:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, ask the owner about the dancing hunter. Then he sees you walk downstairs and ten minutes later someone finds her murdered. Brilliant. The cops can investigate and call out for your arrest in the time it takes to eat half a donut.

Nordick posted:

I've always wondered where Chastity was hiding that sword of hers. :pwn:
In her locker. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 9, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 30 - Unluckee Star
We follow up on our tape lead and check back in with VV. All roads lead to the Luckee Star, it seems.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That werewolf is really unsettling for some reason. :gonk:

I've tried to use guns several times but I always end up just slicing things up instead. Partially because the starter guns are so poo poo and by the time you get good ones I'm committed to melee and then there's the whole satisfaction of being able to feed on any human in combat. :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 31 - Sneak Preview
We track down Muddy in Santa Monica, and locate a full copy of the Hollywood tape, which gives us a lead on where to go next.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget to stick your head into the Asp Hole before heading down into the best and most wonderful part in the entire game. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we need guns. Lots of them.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Don't forget to stick your head into the Asp Hole before heading down into the best and most wonderful part in the entire game. :v:

Will do. I'll also probably stock up on shotty ammo before we start the next episode, just for fun.

double nine posted:

we need guns. Lots of them.

Agreed!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 32 - Blaze of Glory
We return to VV once more, and finally get around to checking out the Asp Hole.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You literally got lost in a straight corridor. That's quite something. :v: Nah, I kid. Not like I never goofed up with my pathfinding.

I didn't remember the SPAS 15 being quite so clunky to use. I played my last game with the Arsenal Mod so it's been a while since I touched some of the vanilla weapons. (Didn't really like the mod though, tbh.)

Be sure to give the Anaconda a go, though. It does take a bit to aim in but it packs a wallop, and if you use the rapid alt-fire it'll really do a number on things close up.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nordick posted:

You literally got lost in a straight corridor. That's quite something. :v: Nah, I kid. Not like I never goofed up with my pathfinding.

I didn't remember the SPAS 15 being quite so clunky to use. I played my last game with the Arsenal Mod so it's been a while since I touched some of the vanilla weapons. (Didn't really like the mod though, tbh.)

Be sure to give the Anaconda a go, though. It does take a bit to aim in but it packs a wallop, and if you use the rapid alt-fire it'll really do a number on things close up.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the worst with directions. I cut out over 5 minutes of me looking for that drat ladder, too. The SPAS might look extra clunky because I'm using the wrong keys a lot. Been playing some other shooters off the channel with different keybinds and it's messing with my gun fu in this one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never finished that quest through the sewers, because running around fighting in sewers just isn't as appealing as simply sacrificing some random guy. Of course it helps that the guy's kind of a douche.

Isaac has some dialog after you get Ash out, I think. It's just not mentioned in the quest log. So no reward. Probably. :drac:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

I've never finished that quest through the sewers, because running around fighting in sewers just isn't as appealing as simply sacrificing some random guy. Of course it helps that the guy's kind of a douche.

Isaac has some dialog after you get Ash out, I think. It's just not mentioned in the quest log. So no reward. Probably. :drac:

If I remember, we'll probly pop in on Isaac when we get a chance.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 33 - Blood and Bone
We investigate the house in the tape - with disturbing results.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Apparently the issue with the odious chalice is also due to your ivnentory being full. I don't know why you didn't sell all your vendor trash in the previous video, but if you drop stuff until you see the chalice on the left side of the screen instead of the right it should work again. Then you can just pick up all the stuff you dropped.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

Apparently the issue with the odious chalice is also due to your ivnentory being full. I don't know why you didn't sell all your vendor trash in the previous video, but if you drop stuff until you see the chalice on the left side of the screen instead of the right it should work again. Then you can just pick up all the stuff you dropped.

Cool, I'll give that a try. I'm a little concerned about salable items straight up disappearing like has been happening for the past few episodes, so I might wait to get to a shop to clear things out. We've got plenty of blood packs for now anyway.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was also wondering why you didn't sell all of your vendor junk in the previous video. I don't think the game has any instances of watches or pill bottles or whatever being relevant in a quest; anything like that will be a specific quest item. So yeah unload all of your rings and car stereos and poo poo to vendors at your first opportunity.

That said, ultimately the vendor trash doesn't amount to that much compared to what you get as quest rewards and from Venus's club, so don't worry about the money too much even if stuff keeps disappearing.

Also that Tszimisce guy is such a pretentious douchebag. And I say this after we have just spent a lot of time dealing with Toreadors. :v:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can get an extra dollar or two if you wait until you get more ranks in finance before selling I think. But it's not like in, say, Gothic 2 where you save all trash and sell it to one specific npc in chapter 2 who then dies in chapter 4 and you can loot everything you sold him and sell it to someone else for twice the profit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 34 - Sewer Swarm
We begin delving into the sewers filled with nasty critters designed to keep the Nosferatu at home.

• Locked thread