Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So, I used to watch Chikara a bit back in the day but haven't paid any attention to it for years now. Can someone explain what the deal was with it being disbanded and the whole "wrestling is x" thing etc. I just remember most people hating it and tuning out while some people stayed behind and discussed whether or not it was just some elaborate storyline. How did all of that turn out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beeswax posted:

So, I used to watch Chikara a bit back in the day but haven't paid any attention to it for years now. Can someone explain what the deal was with it being disbanded and the whole "wrestling is x" thing etc. I just remember most people hating it and tuning out while some people stayed behind and discussed whether or not it was just some elaborate storyline. How did all of that turn out?

Rumor is that Quack cheated on his wife (who was helping finance the company) and he didn't have money to continue the company after she left him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Beeswax posted:

It was all an ill-advised elaborate storyline that Quack stuck to his guns with for a year even though it really wasn't working. Chikara was "gone" and instead there were the different Wrestling Is shows that had some Chikara wrestlers on there, but without the brand name or any interesting storylines, so nobody really went to them or cared. Then they started doing this weird guerrilla marketing stuff where Icarus was calling for get-togethers with Chikara fans. This involved a fan getting kidnapped by Titor Conglomerate's goons and some scavenger hunt thing.

Anyway, two things started to happen. One, movies would be uploaded onto YouTube that told the story of Icarus trying to rally everyone to help bring back Chikara. Outside of Hallowicked, everyone either outright refused or were really reluctant, especially since Icarus is such a known douche. As the storyline got further and further along, the videos would pop up more frequently to the point of daily releases.

The other thing was that the Wrestling Is shows started to get shut down. Each time by a different heel group from Chikara's past. Gekido, BDK, Dr. Cube, Sinn Bodhi, Wrecking Crew, etc. It sounded cooler than it actually was because there were like forty people watching these shows. If anything the whole experiment showed how important it is that in-ring action mixes with storytelling because when you separate them, nobody can get into it. A show that's just wrestling can only get so much support and vignettes are only as strong as the matches they connect with.

So finally they were building to National Pro Wrestling Day and there was this big showdown with the Chikara guys and the Flood, the heel super group led by Jimmy Jacobs. The Flood were sent packing and due to Robbie Ellis buying the Chikara brand, the company would make its return.

At the first actual Chikara show in a year, the Flood revealed their nigh-invincible end boss leader Deucalion, who would literally murder Chikara guys (and his failed underlings). The Chikara vs. Flood feud went on for that entire half-season until Icarus seemingly killed Deucalion with Thunderfrog's hammer. Since then, Chikara's been WAAAAY easier to follow and less up its own rear end.

Also, they released a movie called Ashes of Chikara that they even advertised on the back of comic books. It was made up of the YouTube vignettes from that year of absence, plus some extra stuff. Even ignoring the bad acting, the sad thing is it could have sort of worked (if framed right, it's not a bad story), but it was so badly edited that it was completely incoherent. Like, important parts of the story were simply cut out and nothing makes sense because of it.

Things are better now.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

It was all an ill-advised elaborate storyline that Quack stuck to his guns with for a year even though it really wasn't working. Chikara was "gone" and instead there were the different Wrestling Is shows that had some Chikara wrestlers on there, but without the brand name or any interesting storylines, so nobody really went to them or cared. Then they started doing this weird guerrilla marketing stuff where Icarus was calling for get-togethers with Chikara fans. This involved a fan getting kidnapped by Titor Conglomerate's goons and some scavenger hunt thing.

Anyway, two things started to happen. One, movies would be uploaded onto YouTube that told the story of Icarus trying to rally everyone to help bring back Chikara. Outside of Hallowicked, everyone either outright refused or were really reluctant, especially since Icarus is such a known douche. As the storyline got further and further along, the videos would pop up more frequently to the point of daily releases.

The other thing was that the Wrestling Is shows started to get shut down. Each time by a different heel group from Chikara's past. Gekido, BDK, Dr. Cube, Sinn Bodhi, Wrecking Crew, etc. It sounded cooler than it actually was because there were like forty people watching these shows. If anything the whole experiment showed how important it is that in-ring action mixes with storytelling because when you separate them, nobody can get into it. A show that's just wrestling can only get so much support and vignettes are only as strong as the matches they connect with.

So finally they were building to National Pro Wrestling Day and there was this big showdown with the Chikara guys and the Flood, the heel super group led by Jimmy Jacobs. The Flood were sent packing and due to Robbie Ellis buying the Chikara brand, the company would make its return.

At the first actual Chikara show in a year, the Flood revealed their nigh-invincible end boss leader Deucalion, who would literally murder Chikara guys (and his failed underlings). The Chikara vs. Flood feud went on for that entire half-season until Icarus seemingly killed Deucalion with Thunderfrog's hammer. Since then, Chikara's been WAAAAY easier to follow and less up its own rear end.

Also, they released a movie called Ashes of Chikara that they even advertised on the back of comic books. It was made up of the YouTube vignettes from that year of absence, plus some extra stuff. Even ignoring the bad acting, the sad thing is it could have sort of worked (if framed right, it's not a bad story), but it was so badly edited that it was completely incoherent. Like, important parts of the story were simply cut out and nothing makes sense because of it.

Things are better now.

Jesus, that all sounds really bad. Glad to know they snapped out of it eventually. Thanks for the write-up!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Chikara is holding their final shows of the season in Philly at the Wrestle Factory (not the actual finales, those are in Chicago, first weekend in December) in two weeks.

"Counting Backwards"
Nov 5 @ 2pm

- First Time Ever - Zack Sabre Jr vs Juan Francisco de Coronado
- Tag Team Grudge Match - Dasher Hatfield & Heidi Lovelace vs Icarus & Mark Angelosetti
- Young Lions Cup Match - Thunderfrog defends vs Hermit Crab
- Singles Match - "Juke Joint" Lucas Calhoun vs Drew Gulak
- Singles Match - Officer Warren Barksdale vs The Big Deal
- 4 Corner Elimination Tag - The Closers vs Sea Stars vs Chuck TaylorTM & DUSTIN vs ??

"Like Phantoms, Forever"
Nov 5 @ 7pm

- Grand Championship Match - Hallowicked defends vs Ophidian
- Atomicos Grudge Match - Amasis, Fire Ant, Soldier Ant, Worker Ant vs Frightmare & The HeXed Men
- Grudge Match - Princess Kimberlee vs Max Smashmaster
- First Time Ever - Missile Assault Man vs Wani
- Singles Match - Bullet Ant vs Rock Lobster

Storylines

The big storyline throughout the year has been the rise of Nazmaldun and his HeXed Men. Once Nazmaldun possessed UltraMantis Black, the Lord of Rot has been brainwashing former rudos into turning back to the cause of evil. This has caused former Dasher's Dugout members Icarus & "Mr. Touchdown" Mark Angelosetti to re-embrace their rudo ways, much to the consternation of Dasher Hatfield & Heidi Lovelace. Meanwhile, after their defeat by Just a Lot of Ants in August, the HeXed Men have been looking to avenge themselves on those who aided the Colony. Frightmare has already attacked Pinkie Sanchez and taken him out, and has targeted Amasis as his next victim, so the once and future Pharaoh Ant has gone to the Colony for backup. We do not know who Frightmare's partners from the HeXed Men will be, but it will probably be the Batiri. Hallowicked is on his second reign as Grand Champion, having won it in May off of Kimberlee, and has defended it three times since then. He now finds himself facing Ophidian, who overcame considerable odds after earning his third point, as the Batiri tried their best to weaken him in Haverhill last month. Hallowicked has also claimed that Nazmaldun has not assured either his victory or defeat in his title defense, casting doubt on Nazmaldun's mystic powers and suggesting Ophidian may have some of his own.

Juan Francisco de Coronado is looking to further boost his standings in Chikara, and a win over the technical wizard Zack Sabre Jr will do a lot for that. ZSJ's last appearance in a Chikara ring saw him lose in a surprise upset to Chuck Taylor DUSTIN. DUSTIN, however, finds himself being forced to help Chuck TaylorTM thanks to fine print in the contract that gave the new Chuckie T his identity. The fine print stated that DUSTIN had to either record a duet with him, take him and Trent? to Universal Studios (which won't happen because TaylorTM says Trent blocked his phone number), or help TaylorTM win championship gold in Chikara. So DUSTIN & TaylorTM are entering into the 4 Corner Elimination Tag to earn contendership points for the tag titles.

Hermit Crab has been on a bit of a rise through the roster this year. After a brief feud with Ophidian earlier this year, the Crab has been building his submission skills with his Flat Crab hold, getting wins with it, though he has yet to earn enough points for title contention. He is, however, young enough to challenge the Thunderfrog for the Young Lions Cup. Thunderfrog has held the Cup since he won it in February and has had only 2 defenses. The Cup has not changed hands outside of YLC tournament finals since 2010, when Tim Donst beat Player Dos.

Then there's Smashmaster & Kimberlee. After losing the Challenge of the Immortals to Kimberlee's Crown & Court, Smashmaster went on the warpath, but in doing so, he assaulted officials and Mike Quackenbush, leading to him getting fired. After attempting to sneak back into Chikara by donning the mask of Abominous Rex, Smashmaster finally snapped, threatening to destroy ring announcer Vlad Radinov unless he was reinstated. Kimberlee asked Quack to do so, so she could finish what she started. Smashmaster aims to destroy Kimberlee for costing him immortality and costing him his job (blaming her for his firing) and has stated "the fun and games are over."

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 27, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm working on a piece for Den of Geek on the funniest Chikara matches. I'm looking for suggestions. Ones off the top of my head:

- Lance Steel vs. Darkness Crabtree match that went on for a full day.
- Incoherence vs. Cheech and Cloudy
- Archibald Peck vs. Ashley Remington
- That eight-man tag match where they split the tag teams and Archibald Peck accidentally shot Bryce.
- The comedy eight-man tag from KOT12 where they played Duck, Duck, Goose.
- Gentleman's Club vs. Submission Squad
- Colony vs. FIST when they did the slow motion grenade spot.
- Incoherence vs. Smash Bros ("Princess Peach is a TRAMP!").
- Mysterious and Handsome Stranger vs. deviANT
- North Star Express vs. Olsen Twins
- Archibald Peck vs. Chuck Taylor
- Lucas Calhoun vs. Chuck Taylor TM

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

I'm working on a piece for Den of Geek on the funniest Chikara matches. I'm looking for suggestions. Ones off the top of my head:

All solid choices there.

I'd include UnStable & 2.0 vs Dasher, Lince, Carpenter Ant, Green Ant, Colt Cabana (the one where they played baseball - "Hiding in Plain Sight" from Season 8/2009)

Edit: I have a soft spot for Team Uppercut vs the Roughnecks at King of Trios 09. There was some decent humor stuff in, and then of course there's the 100-revolution Giant Swing on Grizzly Redwood, which is funny in part because of the commentary over it.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 3, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Gavok posted:

- Lance Steel vs. Darkness Crabtree match that went on for a full day.
- Incoherence vs. Cheech and Cloudy
- Archibald Peck vs. Ashley Remington
- That eight-man tag match where they split the tag teams and Archibald Peck accidentally shot Bryce.
- The comedy eight-man tag from KOT12 where they played Duck, Duck, Goose.
- Gentleman's Club vs. Submission Squad
- Colony vs. FIST when they did the slow motion grenade spot.
- Incoherence vs. Smash Bros ("Princess Peach is a TRAMP!").
- Mysterious and Handsome Stranger vs. deviANT
- North Star Express vs. Olsen Twins
- Archibald Peck vs. Chuck Taylor
- Lucas Calhoun vs. Chuck Taylor TM

FIST vs Necro, Klein, Brain Damage

It requires a bit of knowledge of who Necro and buddies are, but some of the spots that that match built to were amazing.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Nevermind.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

There's one from years ago where there's a two count, the heel does the "C'mon ref, that was three" spot and the ref says 'Oh, alright then. Ring the bell'. I can't remember anything more than that though.
If a three count was royally hosed up the ref was probably Jon Barber.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

There's one from years ago where there's a two count, the heel does the "C'mon ref, that was three" spot and the ref says 'Oh, alright then. Ring the bell'. I can't remember anything more than that though.
If a three count was royally hosed up the ref was probably Jon Barber.

That would be Darkness Crabtree vs. CP Munk. That's a good one.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
It's my first time checking out a show at the Wrestle Factory tomorrow, anything I should know about the venue?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

It's my first time checking out a show at the Wrestle Factory tomorrow, anything I should know about the venue?

It's small. Also, do NOT take photos of the Max Moon poster.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
yea, steal the Max Moon poster instead

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Please listen to the Max Smashmaster podcast on F4W Daily today. He is the most likable guy in the world

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The most important thing to take away from the Wrestle Factory is that it's gonna get really hot in there. Don't let the presence of air conditioning fool you. I will be wearing my Dev Corp jacket to the afternoon show because I am a loving idiot

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
ZSJ vs Juan Francisco was amazing. Both of them did some crazy hits. It was also my first time getting to see Zack wrestle live. I don't get why people say he's boring

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA did a magic move match tonight. Normally, the prize is something lame like a sticker or pen or something small like that. Tonight though, they were basically giving away all their COTI t-shirt inventory. So, I left with 3 free shirts. Pretty sweet deal.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Dangerous Person posted:

ZSJ vs Juan Francisco was amazing. Both of them did some crazy hits. It was also my first time getting to see Zack wrestle live. I don't get why people say he's boring

I think his style is love it or hate it, unfortunately. I like it, but the last time I tried to show people why I like it, there were glazed eyes and complaints that there weren't enough flippies. To be fair, when I ask both of my local wrestling fan friends to watch Chikara with me, they're expecting flippies, so who knows.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ophidian vs. Hallowicked was one of the best wrestling matches I have ever seen, period.

Wow.

DM Punk posted:

CHIKARA did a magic move match tonight. Normally, the prize is something lame like a sticker or pen or something small like that. Tonight though, they were basically giving away all their COTI t-shirt inventory. So, I left with 3 free shirts. Pretty sweet deal.

Yeah I got a Crown and Court and Worker Ant shirt. My friend hit the jackpot with a free fire ant and thunderfrog shirt.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh, so that's why Blaster was upset with CHIKARA.

https://twitter.com/DevastationCorp/status/795294668309327872

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Working on my list of the 20 funniest Chikara matches, the one takeaway I'm getting here is that I really miss Eddie Kingston's solo commentary, where he gleefully called out everything as being both the best and the worst.

Also, they announced that the finale will be Dasher Hatfield's team (with Ophidian) vs. the HeXed Men in a Cibernetico.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Working on my list of the 20 funniest Chikara matches, the one takeaway I'm getting here is that I really miss Eddie Kingston's solo commentary, where he gleefully called out everything as being both the best and the worst.

Also, they announced that the finale will be Dasher Hatfield's team (with Ophidian) vs. the HeXed Men in a Cibernetico.

My favourite Eddie Kingston moment comes from IWA-MS when Arik Cannon countered a running move with a nasty right hand, Kingston loses his mind screaming in excitement.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favourite Eddie Kingston moment comes from IWA-MS when Arik Cannon countered a running move with a nasty right hand, Kingston loses his mind screaming in excitement.

Eddie Kingston and Punk creaming themselves over the Joe/Necro match is something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Eddie Kingston and Punk creaming themselves over the Joe/Necro match is something.

Punk's response to Necro kicking out of a big move is great

quote:

I'm going to pull my car around, Joe's is going to throw him out the front door and I'm gonna run the son of a bitch over! If he kicks at two, I'll drive that car right into the ocean.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

C. Everett Koop posted:

The ridiculous Exploder-off-the-apron-spot that they gently caress up and that leaves Kingston speechless is probably my favorite commentary moment of all time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gavok posted:

Please link this when it's up.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Cibernetico (Dasher/Ophidian/6 others vs Hallowicked/Kobald/6 others) main events the evening card of the Dec 3 Chicago finale.

And now we have a major match announced for the afternoon card, as it's a Mask vs Mask Match between Amasis and Frightmare.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Cibernetico (Dasher/Ophidian/6 others vs Hallowicked/Kobald/6 others) main events the evening card of the Dec 3 Chicago finale.

And now we have a major match announced for the afternoon card, as it's a Mask vs Mask Match between Amasis and Frightmare.

Gotta think Amasis is doin' the job there

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lone Goat posted:

Please link this when it's up.

Here we go.

CHIKARA Pro Wrestling: The 20 Funniest Matches. Enjoy!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For those who aren't following the indies thread or Twitter in general, Quack cut ties with Joey Styles over his EVOLVE performance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

The events of the last few days have been just cause to take a look at the state of professional wrestling. The art form that I love, and have dedicated my entire adult life to, is embarrassingly behind the times. It is beholden to outdated tenets that threaten to render it...obsolete at worst, and a punchline at best.

I know there are others, influential and celebrated, that imagine pro-wrestling to be a bubble in which the social norms from a bygone era are still relevant and valid. At CHIKARA, we rail against them, and those ideals, with everything we make. It is one thing to speak, to voice an opinion. It is one thing to call for change, to wish for change, to imagine how that change might come about. It is another thing to make it. At CHIKARA, we make it happen. It doesn’t matter to us in the least how many people show up to see it, or how many people recognize it for what it is. Our mantra is not about critical acclaim or pats on the back: “We believe pro-wrestling should be fun. That’s why we make it for everyone.”

Effective today, we are terminating our relationship with Joey Styles. Effective today, we are instituting a zero tolerance policy for misogynistic, racist, and/or homophobic speech, written or verbal, whether it’s directed toward our cast, our crew, or our patrons. This is the shape of CHIKARA.

To all that craft and shape pro-wrestling, we must fully understand this: the patrons of our art form demand more of us. It is to them - those that empower us to create the larger-than-life spectacle of professional wrestling - that we are beholden. Not to an archaic sub-culture made up of turn-of-the-last-century carny values.

The time for us to do away with antiquated and insulting vocabulary, like the term “mark,” is right now.

The time for us to relinquish any last vestige of power we’ve given to outmoded wrestling rhetoric is right now.

The time for us to draw a line in the sand, and to say this is where we stand on equality and integration in our art form, is right now.

The patrons of our amazing art form deserve not just our respect, but our thoughtful presence of mind in 2016 and beyond. We owe nothing to “the business.” The people our antecedents called “marks” are not handing us their dollars because they fail to understand what it is we truly make - they support us in spite of it. They come because they know our kind of live entertainment is a viable art form, not some midway hustle. They come for an inclusive experience where they can be bolstered by a passionate community of like-minded fans.

At CHIKARA, we love pro-wrestling every bit as much as our fans do. We love it so much, we want it to change. Let’s take a step toward a world where we need not be subject to any type of hate speech, and that the only violence we witness is of the neatly choreographed variety.

- MQ

Huge amount of respect for Quack for this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He probably didn't need to go on about "mark" for half of it, but other than that!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It was the right call. Maybe a no-brainer but people seem to struggle with those in wrestling all the time, so good for Quack.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
As soon as I saw new replies in the Chikara thread I knew it would be bout Joey Styles getting fired. What a loving idiot

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Joey Styles once (supposedly) punching out JBL is his only redeeming feature. A bit like when Jeremy Clarkson punched Piers Morgan.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Endless Mike posted:

He probably didn't need to go on about "mark" for half of it, but other than that!

His point was more about the nature of the modern business relationship with the fans.

It's kind of weird, since "misogynistic, racist, and/or homophobic speech, written or verbal" would cover a lot. In any promotion? In any angle? Effective from now, or retroactively?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Chikara Action Arcade Wrestling crowdfunding thing has just a few hours left and they're at 93%. Just $1655 left.

In other words, a way better hustle than that other game they tried to make.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Looks like Cesaro topped them off, which is an insanely cool thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Looks like Cesaro topped them off, which is an insanely cool thing to do

Hundred bucks more and he could have had the Ultimate Chikara VIP Package.

• Locked thread