Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I liked the twist in ZTD. It wasn't as mind-blowing as the ones in 999 or VLR but it was still a bit of a cool "Holy poo poo!" moment when you realise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I liked the twist in ZTD. It wasn't as mind-blowing as the ones in 999 or VLR but it was still a bit of a cool "Holy poo poo!" moment when you realise it.

I'm very curious about what twist you're talking about because having played the game I honestly have no idea.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Delta's glasses viewing the cameras are what the player has been seeing on the screen, and he's mind hacking at Times to Decide
Or that Q, C, and D Ward are the same place

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

He hears it over he loudspeaker. At least in through original DS version.

I also think the conclusion is garbage. The game frantically try's to flail and generate some sort of deeper meaning but it comes out like a big, wet, fart.

999 posted:

Zero: The rules of the [Nonary Game] can be found upon your persons.
Zero: They are simple rules. Read them.
Dancer: Nonary Game...?
Silver: Hey... There's something in my pocket... Check this out.

Silver reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small slip of paper.
The rest of them reached into their own pockets, and pulled out similar slips
of paper.
Junpei followed suit, and dug into the pocket of his pants.
He felt the tell-tale crumple of paper, slightly damp from his earlier ordeal.

Junpei: Hey, I got one too!
Lion: Then it would seem Zero has seen fit to grace us each with a letter.
Lion: Would you mind terribly reading it to us, young man?

His request had been delivered to Junpei who, after a short moment of surprise,
did as he'd been asked.

Junpei: On this ship, you will find a handful of doors emblazoned with numbers.
Junpei: We will call them the [numbered doors].
Junpei: The doors in front of you are a pair of the same.
Junpei: The key to opening these numbered doors are the [numbered bracelets]
that each of you possess.
Junpei: Should you total the numbers on your [numbered bracelets]...
Junpei: ...and find that the [digital root] of that number is equal to the
number of that door, the door will open.
Junpei: Only those who have opened the door may pass through.
Junpei: There are, however, limits.
Junpei: Only [3-5] people can pass through one numbered door.
Junpei: All those who enter must leave, and all who enter must contribute.

[Bracelet], Junpei figured, had to mean the bulky thing on his wrist.
He glanced around. It looked like everyone else had one as well, and had come
to much the same conclusion.

Junpei: The purpose of the game is simple.
Junpei: Leave this ship alive.
Junpei: It is hidden, but an exit can be found.
Junpei: Seek a way out... Seek a door that carries a [9].

Junpei had reached the end of the letter. There was a long moment of silence,
and then the speaker crackled to life once more.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
That letter does say 9. It's not referring to the q door. "A door", not "the door", they recall, when they find two 9 doors.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

RJWaters2 posted:

That letter does say 9. It's not referring to the q door. "A door", not "the door", they recall, when they find two 9 doors.

No, Junpei flashes back to this exact moment when he has the [q] realisation.

999 posted:

No... That's it! That number on the door isn't a [9]!
It's not even a number!

Zero: It is hidden, but an exit can be found.
Zero: Seek a way out... Seek a door that carries a [q].

letter posted:

Junpei: It is hidden, but an exit can be found.
Junpei: Seek a way out... Seek a door that carries a [9].

The letter is a workaround for 9 and q not sounding the same in English, there's no letter in the Japanese version. The editing goof is that they forgot to put the letter in the flashback Junpei has at the moment of the realisation.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 2, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

People posting half remembered incorrect details really makes this discussion a lot more complicated than it needed to be :v:

Exercu has it right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

People posting half remembered incorrect details really makes this discussion a lot more complicated than it needed to be :v:

Exercu has it right

They're just tapping into different timelines.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm very curious about what twist you're talking about because having played the game I honestly have no idea.

There are a few and a lot of the little hints that the game have towards Delta's existence gave me the same experience. Q being marked as alive after phi and Delta are born in the teleporter ending was one for me. But there are definitely some good twists it's just the really big one (q=Delta=brother) is kinda deflated due to the fact that you get the teleporter ending before you can get that reveal but there was some pretty important stuff in the reveal scene that yeah you needed to have the teleporter ending to know about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When the lounge was revealed to be a gotdang holodeck, I literally shouted "WHAT THE gently caress" at like midnight.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

When the lounge was revealed to be a gotdang holodeck, I literally shouted "WHAT THE gently caress" at like midnight.

This is the only thing even approaching a sensible and interesting twist in the entire game imo.

Exercu posted:

No, Junpei flashes back to this exact moment when he has the [q] realisation.

The letter is a workaround for 9 and q not sounding the same in English, there's no letter in the Japanese version. The editing goof is that they forgot to put the letter in the flashback Junpei has at the moment of the realisation.

Yeah, this is what I'm remembering. Shame on me on not remembering the beginning of the game perfectly and remembering the ending better. Weird!

That's a pretty huge goof considering they put the effort into fabricating a letter in the first place.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

- double post -

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A lot of it may not have been logical, a lot of it may not have made sense, a lot of it may have been really stupid, and I may have stayed up until like two or three just to finish the game, but I loving loved going on Mr. Uchikoshi's Wild Ride.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, even though the ending and major twist was really weak and had tons of unresolved issues and left many more open, I did enjoy the experience of playing the game and being rused the entire way through. It's definitely the weakest game in the series, but I don't regret playing it. I think out of all of the games twists in the series, 999 affected me the least because I was partially spoiled on it. VLR though, what a ride that was.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

ZTD is by far the weakest game over all but it has some of my favorite moments in the series (Twins ending, Team C's excellent adventure) so idk how to look at it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My feelings on ZTD five months later feel pretty negative. I don't actually feel compelled to ever go back to it

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
ZTD was a low budget game. I'm happy we got to see the conclusion at all, as even the developers weren't sure if they would find the interest to create it at all after VLR.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

oath2order posted:

ZTD is by far the weakest game over all but it has some of my favorite moments in the series (Twins ending, Team C's excellent adventure) so idk how to look at it.

I put it at just a bit ahead of 999 (but it's been ages since I've played 999 so IDK) - but even if overall it wasn't stellar, I agree. Team C's Excellent Adventure is probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN452z98J8s

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ZTD is the best in the series purely because of Team C's Excellent Adventure. I literally laughed out loud when they jump into the Games room or whatever and Akane is like "What the gently caress Carlos this is a terrible plan!!!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Team C's Excellent Adventure was the grand culmination of what Uchikoshi was doing with the concept of multiple routes in a VN and it was fantastic.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if team C's near constant gently caress ups is good enough to place it above 999. If we judge ZTD off of purely everything except for like 90% of team q and ignore the ending then I think what between twins ending Carlos's brilliant loving time Leaps into the rescue squad instead of leaping to before dcon and therefore being utterly useless (again) then the game is definitely better than 999. Unfortunately Team Q blows and the ending blows harder

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 6, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ZTD isn't even close to as good as VLR let alone 999

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Luna Was Here posted:

Carlos's brilliant loving time Leaps into the rescue squad instead of leaping to before dcon and therefore being utterly useless (again)

Oh my god that scene was great :allears:

Akane: "Why the hell didn't you just stop this from happening in the months before now?!"
Carlos: ":stare:"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still like the central conceit of the ending, jumping to the other coin toss, a hell of a lot even if I think it could have been better executed.

Delta's not great though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

I still like the central conceit of the ending, jumping to the other coin toss, a hell of a lot even if I think it could have been better executed.

Delta's not great though.

I caught on a bit before they actually said it and loving flipped.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ZTD is flawed but it's still fun and has a bunch of interesting twists and turns. I'd never tell someone to skip it if they're interested in the series.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Original 999 is the best game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

Original 999 is the best game

The second half of vlr would like a word

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm a huge fan of rimming jokes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

ZTD isn't even close to as good as VLR let alone 999

carlos wacky dimension travels is fun but gotta agree with this, everything else kinda fell flat

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

carlos wacky dimension travels is fun but gotta agree with this, everything else kinda fell flat

like i said before

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't know if team C's near constant gently caress ups is good enough to place it above 999. If we judge ZTD off of everything except for like 90% of team q and ignore the ending then I think what between twins ending and Carlos's brilliant loving time Leaps into the rescue squad instead of leaping to before dcon and therefore being utterly useless (again) then the game is definitely better than 999. Unfortunately Team Q blows and the ending blows harder

This is my full opinion of it. IF Team Q didn't loving suck rear end and IF the ending wasn't a bit of a wet fart then I think I could place it above 999. Aside from Team Q sucking poo poo the rest of the story scenes and dialogue of the characters is great even if the story gets really bizarre on some ends (im :catstare:'ing at you Twins) and the only other real problem I had with the game was that there was no final puzzle but when you compare it to literally just a sudoku puzzle I feel like the overall quality of the puzzles was better in ZTD than in 999. IMO there was only one tedious puzzle (the shower room where you have to like flip the water and the electricty on and off and poo poo just to like turn around or whatever got really grating but its nowhere near as bad as the visual mess as the engine room from 999 or either of the puzzles where you had to plot the course of the ship that took forever to input). I think most people's actual rankings (hot take joke rankings don't count here!!!) is something like ZTD>999>>>>>>>>>VLR, 999 is definitely better than ZTD but it's borderline better in that it's worst parts aren't as bad as ZTD's worst parts. It's a shame that VLR is honestly just so loving good because if ZTD and VLR's qualities were swapped then having the series end on such a good loving game would have been amazing, shame that this one got bogged down with the whole "might not actually get made so let's just sorta do what we can for it!"

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
In hindsight all three games have pretty major plot holes, but 999 does the best job of keeping you from thinking about them until the game is over. Pity the lack of key QOL features like the flowchart makes it kind of a drag to play, but hopefully the rerelease fixes that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
VLR is such a good game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
999 had a way better atmosphere and tension than ZTD's magical adventures through time and space.
ZTD is still good because Sean is good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Listening to the ZTD soundtrack makes me recall that I still really enjoyed the puzzle rooms, but the in-between banter is nowhere near as good as the first two games. It may be suffering due to format

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weW2wvwG3wQ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't even remember any of the banter in ZTD

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't even remember any of the banter in ZTD