Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Combat is so, drat, slooooooooooooooow. Also, since this doesn't support steam workshop, I suppose some ye olde infinity engine party optimization scripts are off the table, right?

By the way, where do I get resting supplies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure it was F6 in KotoR 2 as well. Why the gently caress do they want to break from the standard on that?
cause they redid the entire shortcut system from PoE for a four person party

In PoE it was 1-6 selected your party mates, in Tyranny it's F1-F4 and then someone realized "well we need a select all I guess" *maps f5* and then forgot about the serial quicksavers!!!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hammerstein posted:

I want to do more judging and burning instead of this. I hope it gets better in the next hours.

Revisit both camps after you've done those quests. There are a few new NPCs which give you the opportunity to act like a proper judge. Or a complete dick, if that's what you're into.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sheep posted:

This is really poorly handled but the answer is 'go elsewhere and come back later', as far as I can tell. The fights in Lethian's Crossing are hard enough that I'm pretty sure you're not actually supposed to attack them and fight your way across.

I was definitely able to talk through it, though it seems to be related to what choices you made during Conquest.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on unarmed?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's really odd that both melee tank companions you get can't equip armour. I've got all this useless poo poo just sitting in my stash because my PC is a mage and no one else will benefit from it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished the game, independent endgame spoilers

I get what reviewers meant with their disappointment in the ending, it really is just sequelbait. I felt like the game had a good grove going until the stone sea were the content just kinda evaporated. Furthermore, it was just really lame that the conclusion to beating the archons was just walking into their fortresses and punching them to death. Something which took about 18 minutes total for both. No help from allies, no real effect from the edicts, no nothing. You get their weapons which would be really cool except that if you win the trial like I did there's literally not another fight in the game. Casting a pre-emptive edict against Kyros was a cool note to end on but it felt like there was supposed to be more here.

There were some weird moment here and there in the independent route where it felt like you were supposed to have a choice but you didn't. I think someone above mentioned how the crossing foreshadows being able to take control of the mercenaries but if there is such an option I would have no idea how to actually do it. The mercenaries attack you the minute you enter the crossing. Later, you get called out immediately by the traitor guy for having killed his friends in self-defense so now you must fight to the death, apparently. Similarly, later in the game when looking for the dauntless you get involved in a friendly conversation which you literally cannot get out of without attacking. It just sorta happens, and then they call you scum for the rest of the area. I suppose this is punishment for turning on the independents in act 1 but there's no mention of it in the conversation with that initial character. It's all friendly until you have to go, 'whoops, time for you to die'. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, it was fun to run around murdering literally everyone but it's not like I had much of a choice in the matter. Apparently, armies are for suckers and I'll just rule the Tiers by the power of my characters fists...?

Game was really good though. Especially in just how incredibly petty and childish the dialogue options let you be.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 11, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
The game only came out yesterday and you're done ? How many hours have you logged ?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

17 according to steam, I'm a 100% sure I missed some major content in the Stone Sea.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone discovered the console commands yet?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Deified Data posted:

Thoughts on unarmed?

Yeah, I think I'm intending unarmed and lightning, but don't want to commit unless I know it's okay!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've only barely started but I am really digging it so far, the setting is much more engaging than PoE.

I also really enjoy how they embedded lore into the chat text so that you can quickly get a reference to whats going on. in a game with obscure names and places it can get really confusing but I find myself reading every new text highlight cause it's giving me a much clearer picture as to whats going on without having to go to a wiki page.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Birthday Oral posted:

Yeah, I think I'm intending unarmed and lightning, but don't want to commit unless I know it's okay!

I'm still early, but unarmed seems fine so far. Considering how powerful fists ended up being in Pillars of Eternity, I'd expect that I'll have no trouble for the remainder of the game.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I restarted four times please help

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

Birthday Oral posted:

Finished act 1 on hardest with unarmed. My main char is easily the strongest in my party.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
What stat build are unarmed bros going with? I maxed might and am putting most of my points into the Might tree, maybe going Agi would be better?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Transmetropolitan posted:

I restarted four times please help

Don't feel bad, I never got past character creation last night.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deified Data posted:

Don't feel bad, I never got past character creation last night.

My first five hours with this game were finding the perfect picture for my character portrait.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Mantle of flames is really good if you got a tank character with 3+ enemies engaged. So good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Complaints about the quick save binding? Just like tiersmen to lack the courage of their conviction

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is there a list of all the spells and abilities somewhere?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

My first five hours with this game were finding the perfect picture for my character portrait.

Oh Christ don't get me started.

I had the same problem in Divinity: OS and PoE where my character model, portrait, and character archetype all had to be in sync for me to really get into it, and that's so hard to do. It's like...I'll make my character a two-handed warrior, and oh, here's a cool avatar for them! But the avatar is holding two daggers. Back to square one. It really shouldn't bother me as much as it does.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bagrada posted:

Is there a list of all the spells and abilities somewhere?

Abilities maybe, but spells might be tricky since you can make a bunch of them from templates with different effects.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
e: I'm dumb and don't understand puzzles

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I took shock mage and atrophy as secondary, also put a bunch of points into staffs. Should I not have done that? I figured staffs go with a mage but maybe I shouldn't have gone double magic and picked up swords instead as my secondary.

But as a mage aren't you usually just casting constantly anyways?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Popete posted:

I took shock mage and atrophy as secondary, also put a bunch of points into staffs. Should I not have done that? I figured staffs go with a mage but maybe I shouldn't have gone double magic and picked up swords instead as my secondary.

Not exactly! Abilities at least at the start are going to take a while to cool down. Especially if you aren't running on a higher gamespeed. Regular attacks are going to be happening a lot inbetween your big spells especially if you have some armor on. Once you get access to more sigils and spell slots though that changes a bit. However, picking something other than magic (like staffs or bows) is actually a good idea because ability slots don't take up the same spaces. I'd probably pick something ranged though unless you've made a tanky mage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Popete posted:

You should be fine, I'm Javelin and Vigor Mage but find myself using Fire and Illusion magic more than anything else to Blur my allies, burn enemies, and make them think they're falling into a bottomless pit. Also throwing an occasional javelin and decapitating people with my shield using Verse's team-up combo.

I'm in love with the Athletics skill in dialogue options, you're just loving brutalizing people, it's amazing. I'm totally thinking about another character who just "Glares silently" and uses athletics prompts to beat the everloving poo poo out of people... silently.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Picking a staff is perfectly fine though:. There are talents in the mage tree to supercharge your staff attacks too.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
So I mean just looking at, the setting and plot sounds a thousand times more interesting than PoE, but is the writing still as dry and humorless as it as in Pillars?

I've been a huge fan of Obsdiain for years, but man was that game just completely deprived of any joy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

So I mean just looking at, the setting and plot sounds a thousand times more interesting than PoE, but is the writing still as dry and humorless as it as in Pillars?

This game has amazing dialogue options.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

MiddleOne posted:

This game has amazing dialogue options.

Lantry has a particularly hilarious :allears: moment if you ask him about his ink.

Lantry owns hard and is my favorite companion by a mile.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dropping a few thoughts on chapter two so far. The start was strong, but once I got to Lethian's Crossing I felt a little lost. I think I might've done a few things out of sequence, and had real trouble for a while figuring out what I was supposed to do next - if I hadn't come here for a hint about what to do after only finding two of the charcoal rubbings I might never have progressed, since it seems like the piece I was missing was heading back to Ascension Hall to talk to the Vendrian Guard captain about recruiting the Bronze Brotherhood, even though I thought we'd already agreed on that before I went to Tunon's court.

People have been apprehensive of the time limit in chapter one, but I think it worked in adding some tension without actually limiting anything you could do, and it helped that the first chapter was well-paced and straightforward such that you always know what you're doing and are driving the plot forward. Lethian's Crossing just hasn't had that same sense of momentum, and parts of it have been confusing to work out - so the Brotherhood are the town guard, but they're rebelling against Kyros, but the Forgebound live in the Crossing and work for Kyros still? But they say they're getting raided by the Brotherhood out on the roads? It didn't help that Sirin joining the party felt reeaally out of the blue (since I hadn't met her previously), leaving the Magebane Helmet out in the open was obviously a dumb idea and where are these banes everyone keeps claiming are invading the Crossing?

Also as a general comment on the combat mechanics, unfortunately they're just not clicking with me any more than they did with PoE. Something about the stats and what they do just feels opaque, such that whenever I get new gear I have a hard time figuring out what would be an upgrade since there's such a mixed bag of stat changes involved. I'm very grateful for a lot of the UI improvements that highlight exactly what skills are tied to what stats and giving abilities certain shapes and colours as a hint about what they do. I'm playing on story-mode difficulty so I can just right-click my way to victory, I don't even keep my guys leveled up or use their abilities in combat since so far I haven't needed to and I'm guiltily relieved about that. It seems like a good system, I guess my attention span might just be more shot to hell than I thought.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2 SPOOKY posted:

Lantry has a particularly hilarious :allears: moment if you ask him about his ink.

Lantry owns hard and is my favorite companion by a mile.

I tried all of them. All at once. That's not even ink, that's just LSD with watercolors mixed in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I tried all of them. All at once. That's not even ink, that's just LSD with watercolors mixed in.

He cut me off three inks in. :mad:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just bought this. I haven't pulled the trigger on a game at full price in years. Any tips for starting out, now that people have gotten some pretty big progress in? Are there any trap options like picking the wrong ettiquites in Shadowrun?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

For those keeping score, Tyranny broke its streak in one of the first side quest areas featuring a few green trees on the periphery of the map. What a shame. Haven't encountered any deviations from the palette since, though.

And this is definitely a Unity game, started up again this morning and hit a 3 min loading time on a top-of-the-line system and SSD install. One of the benefits of Trial of Iron is that you don't have to deal with that so often.

Given how slow the combat is I'm glad I elected to play on Easy with ToO for my first, no-looking-back run. At the end of the first act I actually thought kicking everyone out of the tower was the "side with rebels" option. I went from max favor to none. Oh well.

I found the supragrim siege setting of the first act dull and am sort of realizing that the segmented mission-based gameplay of Alpha Protocol is going to hold up a lot better than this "continuous epic" design, as far as replays go. There's no tutorial level but the whole first act feels like one, since the first big choice you make is at the end. That could turn out to be a mistake in design. Even if KOTOR2 was super reactive, Peragus and Telos would have seriously dampened replay enthusiasm.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think my question might have gotten lost, but is it possible to make a rogue in this game or is dual-wielding just a different flavor of warrior?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I think my question might have gotten lost, but is it possible to make a rogue in this game or is dual-wielding just a different flavor of warrior?

A variety of talents give bonuses to your attacks coming of out of stealth, every fighting style I can think of, including magic!, has a talent like this.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Deified Data posted:

Dual wielding seems to give subterfuge which seems to be the "rogue" ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the mage life in this game?

Related: is this the kind of game where hybridizing can work out well for you, or should you stick to one "niche?"

• Locked thread