Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It was underground, I was taking the underwater tunnel back from Red Rock.

The {creature} had a few options. One was to take the quest to spread klanq. One was to choose the bodypart to infect with klanq. The last was goodbye. I think the creature was a part of those ... gosh, I can't remember the names, but the religious npc's that spawn in groups sometime randomly. Anyways, I'd have kept a save if I knew it was a bug, but I had just read about the procedural quest, so I just kind of shrugged. The NPC also was using the random text for it's text, so it'd just spout random book words or talk about random help topic stuff.

I actually had this happen about a month or two ago as well, though I thought I had somehow broken a quest chain or would if I accepted his quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It was underground, I was taking the underwater tunnel back from Red Rock.

The {creature} had a few options. One was to take the quest to spread klanq. One was to choose the bodypart to infect with klanq. The last was goodbye. I think the creature was a part of those ... gosh, I can't remember the names, but the religious npc's that spawn in groups sometime randomly. Anyways, I'd have kept a save if I knew it was a bug, but I had just read about the procedural quest, so I just kind of shrugged. The NPC also was using the random text for it's text, so it'd just spout random book words or talk about random help topic stuff.

Ah, k. That was the test quest giver, who isn't getting excluded from dynamic encounters. I'll fix it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

2x "mental aggregator" hats

Do I have to get a crony to wear one or something?

(I may be going too deep, I'm on my like 5th phase cannon found for the run)

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 8, 2016

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Bought this last night and have died in my first fight three times in a row.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Bought this last night and have died in my first fight three times in a row.

Don't pick fights with slumberlings. Or apes/baboons/gorillas. Or horses. Or wardens. Or...

Marauder with Carapace and Freezing Hands is a popular build for getting established in the game. Chill something enough and it gets paralyzed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, at first level in your crappy starting gear, fighting multiple adjacent Snapjaws will rapidly get you killed thanks to their Swarmer ability buffing all of them. Get and use a ranged attack of some kind, avoid melee unless it's against a regular crappy snapjaw all by itself, and use sprint to get away if things go south. Once you've gained a couple of levels you should be a lot more robust.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, at first level in your crappy starting gear, fighting multiple adjacent Snapjaws will rapidly get you killed thanks to their Swarmer ability buffing all of them. Get and use a ranged attack of some kind, avoid melee unless it's against a regular crappy snapjaw all by itself, and use sprint to get away if things go south. Once you've gained a couple of levels you should be a lot more robust.

In particular, firearms are extremely strong at the start. Loot the chests in the empty houses in Joppa (close the doors behind you when you do it so nobody sees) and see if Tam has a gun you can afford - even a musket is good enough to take down almost any of the hostiles that spawn between Joppa and the Rustwells to the east with a few shots. The exceptions: salthoppers will kill you if they reach you, slumberlings will annihilate you if they wake up, equimaxes are incredibly STRONG but start out neutral, and run away from hostile uniques.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
So what, if anything, is unimplemented about Confusion? I'd been avoiding it since, hey, who wants to play with unfinished content, but I got it from Unstable Genome and it seems pretty functional. Renders a whole crowd of anything with a brain near-helpless.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 10, 2016

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
What's the deal with two-headed slugsnouts? I found one and tried to run after it hit me for 11 damage at level 2 and it proceeded to hit me 2 more times in a row, without line-of-sight, and killed me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yep, that's pretty much the deal with two-headed slugsnouts.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Qud is very much a game of knowing when to run.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can mod a slender willowy swarm rack down to 187 pounds and then probably the skill works on it, too.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'm (only) at level 36 and I can take on small packs of chrome pyramids and leering stalkers because I have 38 dodge while wearing a mercurial cloak, along with 26 toughness and regeneration. Even with a few of them firing at me at the same time they can't pin me down and even when they do wing me I just get teleported. I can't damage them very quickly but I can slowly dismember the dangerous parts of them with some serrated vibrokhopesh.

What's the correct plural form of "khopesh"?

Now my only true foe is the memory usage warning.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I'm at level 1 because I die every time I encounter a new thing.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Highblood posted:

Did you try turning it off and on again?

What mutation is that?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What mutation is that?

Narcolepsy.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there any way to tell companions to stay back a bit? They're a lot of fun till you end up having to deal with some fungal disease.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Use willpower as a dump stat and just raise strength,agility and HP a bunch.

Bind 'sprint' to a convenient key and use it liberally.

Use the overworld map to go three tiles north to Red Rock or 3 tiles east to the Rust Wells and slay snapjaws etc. (pick up quest(s) in Joppa)

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

heard u like girls posted:

Use willpower as a dump stat and just raise strength,agility and HP a bunch.

This is a solid tip to get someone past the early game but if they want to get much further they also need to take mental mirror.

I still think True Kin Praetorian is a real solid newbie build, though it requires a bit of game/tinkering knowledge to be able to consistently make it past golgotha/susa.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you're careful about not getting blasted by mind sunders on low hp, then the only other annoyance is confusion, and there's really not that much of a problem just staggering around and stabbing things while confused. Plus you can make yourself immune with sphinx salt.

You can also just walk away from packs of sightless way guys.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've taken more than 50 damage from sunder mind before I'm not sure just being careful is enough

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So if Klanq wants me to do my business on a highly entropic being, who exactly am I looking for?

On that note, I think curing the glowcrust that I got on the same trip has broken the command for sporing.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 16, 2016

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I think I'm encountering a very minor bug, if I quit the game after my only character dies and I restart, the "Continue" option on the main menu will be lit up and clicking on it goes to a blank page, after that Continue will be greyed out as is apparently normal.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Why'd you have to lock off lower Grit Gate? Clearing it pre Golgotha was a fun way to accelerate a character and I don't think it's really worth doing after Bethesda Susa plus it would just be incredibly boring at that point in the game

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Getting a really silly autoexplore bug where when rounding a corner and first seeing a turret the game doesnt seem to "count" it as spotting a hostile for the first round, causing me to move one extra step before getting control back.

The reason this is a problem is that the extra step you take before autoexplore stops can be INTO the turret, switching places with it and potentially trapping yourself. This is happening on a several build old version of the game but i've not seen it in any patch notes.

In more positive news short blade balance finally feels about where it should be, and the new content being worked on sounds really cool.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
:wiggle:

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/798963875173367809

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/798711154361020416

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/798343206194679808

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sapphire guy had kind of a one track mind, it seems

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So in worshiping the past, present and future, he just kinda forgot about the two other towns named mesherhubarb or whatever?

Also I guess it was just the first town, twice.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
See you can tell clock guy was clearly able to control time, since he was 40 in 846 even though he was born in 799.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Stuck my head into an area of a decently higher level than me, died to gelatinous frustum. Those things hit really drat hard.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

resistentialism posted:

So in worshiping the past, present and future, he just kinda forgot about the two other towns named mesherhubarb or whatever?

Also I guess it was just the first town, twice.

Maybe he was plagued by prescient time-memory and couldn't remember if he had done something already or just remembered his dream of a future self doing that thing and thus repeated his destiny

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Yeah, you burn all your loving allies alive you unique snapjaw piece of poo poo.

Turns out I really need the help because he hits 3 times as often as me and apparently has at least twice my hp!

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 17, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yeah, you burn all your loving allies alive you unique snapjaw piece of poo poo.

Turns out I really need the help because he hits 3 times as often as me and apparently has at least twice my hp!

Wait till you snag a baboon sophisticate as an ally.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Incredible xD

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Qshwugaur sounds like kind of an rear end in a top hat, but I gotta respect anyone who can personally oust the local ruler and rise to the position of Sultan at ten loving years of age

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

These read like a fever dream you'd have after using the Dwarf Fortress legends viewer for too long and I mean that as the highest compliment. I'm assuming it generates a historical figure + thematic object and then a series of locations and events that relate to them - will these be moddable? Also, will you be able to visit the locations mentioned or pick up artifacts involved in the history you've discovered? Because that'd be rad.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Penultimatum posted:

These read like a fever dream you'd have after using the Dwarf Fortress legends viewer for too long and I mean that as the highest compliment. I'm assuming it generates a historical figure + thematic object and then a series of locations and events that relate to them - will these be moddable? Also, will you be able to visit the locations mentioned or pick up artifacts involved in the history you've discovered? Because that'd be rad.

Yeah, the primary goal of this arc is to take that output and drive it into the worldgen, so that you've got a dynamic set of history affecting the otherwise static world, with dynamic locations & questing driven all the way through the game, including dynamic early-game "alternate start" routes, and culminating in a complete overhaul of the tomb of the eaters.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
SO EXCITED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unormal posted:

Yeah, the primary goal of this arc is to take that output and drive it into the worldgen, so that you've got a dynamic set of history affecting the otherwise static world, with dynamic locations & questing driven all the way through the game, including dynamic early-game "alternate start" routes, and culminating in a complete overhaul of the tomb of the eaters.

Holy poo poo. I have to say, I've barely scratched the surface of this game, and I am still so excited about this. Incredible.