Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

doctor 7 posted:

I stopped taking my glove off in the hand shake line. My job has my hands in the water for 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week. My hands are always super dry and currently have 5 cracks between them. All of them are on the creases and they split open and bleed with use (especially in sweaty hockey gloves).

I still do the line, I fist bump everyone and still give a "good game." I even go the refs after and do the same. poo poo I even skate by the loving score keeper and give a "thanks man" nod.

But I'm not shaking the sweaty hands of a dozen dudes, plus I guess everyone on my team in front of me with open loving sores.

Chill out about the shake, if they're there and genuine about it.

have you ever tried "o'keeffe's working hands" cream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

Or their dad runs the league and is the goalie.

:( I hear that.

Also none of the refs call icing.

Vargatron posted:

Catcher comes off and mask goes up during the handshake line.

There's only on goalie in our division that shakes hands. The rest, we just fist bump their blocker.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Development posted:

have you ever tried "o'keeffe's working hands" cream?

Yeah I need to get that stuff but can't find it anywhere

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah I need to get that stuff but can't find it anywhere

If only there were some sort of online store that sells and ships these sorts of things :v:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
On the upside, I'm getting a lot of practice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bootcha posted:

I feel you on that one, buddy :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My official team number is 69.

This makes me happier than it should.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

:( I hear that.

Also none of the refs call icing.

There's only on goalie in our division that shakes hands. The rest, we just fist bump their blocker.

We've got one who is constantly baked, and he gives out hugs to everyone. He owns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We do too, everyone calls him hippy jim. Wears a tie-dye jersey, has headphones in his helmet so he's rocking out the entire game, looks like willie nelson. Is hilarious to hang out with.

He's also a blackhawks season ticket holder, he shows up all the time in the intermission reports because they have the table set up in one of the halls at the UC. Next day everyone is all "hey I saw hippy jim on TV last night!"

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
That guys cool but he made a bs save with his blocker on me last game while he was screened. The puck was probably going like 10 mph tho

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

34 shots a game seems normal to me, though. What's up with no GAA?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We played a late game last night and actually dominated which was very odd. We ended up winning 7-1 and had 46 shots vs their 24.

I played like poo poo, felt tired and all that. Doesn't help that it was 1030 and I've been running on little sleep the last few days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drizzle posted:

That guys cool but he made a bs save with his blocker on me last game while he was screened. The puck was probably going like 10 mph tho

That's the power of weed right there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A Thing happened tonight.

Broke a 23 game losing streak.

Excuse my handwriting, I was half occupied with popping bottles in the locker room.

Edit: This also apparently enabled time travel since I hosed the date up so bad. It's November...

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 11, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

34 shots a game seems normal to me, though. What's up with no GAA?

Eh, their stat website isn't up to speed. It's a recursive 4.44r for me.

Let's put it this way, the only team with consistently 30+ shots against is my team.
Then it's 26.
Then 23.
Then 22.

I am getting practice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've never actually played a game at rec league properly before, so I didn't know any of the traditions.

Guess who made a tit of himself when he was announced man of the match?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of the places I've skated at do anything like that, sounds like you have a dumb rink. :colbert:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We have a WWF belt we hand out to team MVP.

Holy crap, the league I'm in is such horseshit. We just played a game with a guy who played in the junior Flyers. And here he was skating circles around everyone. At least I had a slapper that made a beautiful tinging sound as it went in. :feelsgood:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xzzy posted:

None of the places I've skated at do anything like that, sounds like you have a dumb rink. :colbert:

Nah, I was apparently meant to go get a crate of beer and distribute it among the players. Beer is never dumb!

I skated to the wrong side of the rink, had the beer slid over to me, then failed to take my gloves off to pick it up, almost falling over in the process. Was pretty funny to be honest.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Got a gwg in ot last night week a second left on the clock, pretty cool. First time I got a goal in consecutive games too. Sounds like I'm almost ready to be a contributor to the worst team in the worst division in the league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you need to go check the league stats if you think your team is the worst. :colbert:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
For all the poo poo people talk about John Scott, the team we played two nights ago had a former ECHL player

:psyduck:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone who talks poo poo about a player that even sniffed a pro league compared to themselves is an idiot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
people in general do not understand just how mind bendingly good top level professional athletes are at their chosen vocations; SAS NHL is worse than most

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Excuse me but Hal Gill was often described as a pylon. I am mostly a pylon. Ergo, I am as good as an NHL defenseman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone who watches hockey should play a few games themselves before ragging on professional athletes. If one were to dig up all my N/V thread posts over the years there should be a pretty sharp decline in me making GBS threads on NHLers for loving up after I started playing the game.

Now I watch the games and am either jealous or in awe of the things they do.

(then try some of it in my next game and look like a clown)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Got the game tying goal and game winning goal last night, but the score ended up like 6-1. First goal I tripped over our own blue line, slid past the center line, got back up and skated hard to be there just in time to bury a one-timer.

Almost had a hat trick but their D had the presence of mind to stick check me at the last second and I wasn't bearing any weight down on my stick.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

I think you need to go check the league stats if you think your team is the worst. :colbert:

Sometimes we just get lucky with some people not showing up. I think if we were playing with our full roster and equal ice time for everyone we'd be the worst.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Top Hats Monthly posted:

For all the poo poo people talk about John Scott, the team we played two nights ago had a former ECHL player

:psyduck:

There are thousands of ECHL or probably below that are more skilled then John Scott. Being massive and punching people goes a long way in lieu of skill.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
This guy dropped in on a pick-up game I was playing once, and just completely dominated everybody, including a couple of college players that were there.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76422

There is nobody in this thread who is anywhere near the skill level of any ECHLer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've skated against a few AAA washouts and am pretty sure I never want to share ice with an ECHL or better player.

They're even less fun to have on your team because you might as well not show up for all the impact you have on the game.

Though I suppose a proper NHLer would be fun because it would probably be a pretty low key skate and it hanging out with them in sandbag mode would be worth the stories.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
The top 5 or so best players in our league are all guys that tried to "make it" skating minor league hockey from ages 21 to 25 but never even sniffed something like the ECHL and they are head and shoulders above most of the guys in our league. It all basically comes down to, are you skilled? Yes. Are you over 6' tall and 220lbs? No? OK, are you really, really, really skilled? No. Ok have fun in beer league bro. It's gotta be frustrating to be that much better than all the guys you grew up with but are too small/not quite that good to make it on any kind of radar for a legit minor league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I've skated against a few AAA washouts and am pretty sure I never want to share ice with an ECHL or better player.

They're even less fun to have on your team because you might as well not show up for all the impact you have

Huh?

Good players who are good people are fun to play with.

Bad players who are bad people aren't fun to play with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my point. All the high skill players I've played with/against have been puck hogging shitlords showing off for the scouts living in their head.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

mr. unhsib posted:

This guy dropped in on a pick-up game I was playing once, and just completely dominated everybody, including a couple of college players that were there.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76422

There is nobody in this thread who is anywhere near the skill level of any ECHLer.

I love that he has 60 minutes in 10 games already.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mr. unhsib posted:

I played 3 games Junior B. Google me bro.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of you excel nerds should plot out his projected +/- for this season because by eyeballing it that poo poo is headed for orbit.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

That's my point. All the high skill players I've played with/against have been puck hogging shitlords showing off for the scouts living in their head.

It sucks to play with guys that think they know how good they are and it is usually cool to play with guys that know how good they are. We've had a few guys on our league team, that we ask to play with us if we are desperate for people, that think they are getting the call up every time they play and that just sucks. We have also had the opportunity to play with guys who have actually gotten the call up (to some degree) and will actually play to the skill level of our league and that is really awesome.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I attended a goaltending camp that featured AAA Junior and ECHL shooters. Those guys were so obviously shooting easy for us and could thread the needle at will if you left any gaps open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

Got the game tying goal and game winning goal last night, but the score ended up like 6-1. First goal I tripped over our own blue line, slid past the center line, got back up and skated hard to be there just in time to bury a one-timer.

Almost had a hat trick but their D had the presence of mind to stick check me at the last second and I wasn't bearing any weight down on my stick.

Awesome. I must have misread the scoreboard. I thought you guys were losing. You've matched your career high in points after just 4 games!

In other news, I'm leading my division in points.

Look at us doing good things.