Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First off, mount up the HQ and get all of my BTR's heading towards the woodline. When the 3rd BTR gets into position have them area fire at the assholes. If no assholes are visible, have them shoot in the general direction of where the assholes were.

1st Squad : PAUSE for 25 seconds and ASSAULT through the woodline.

2nd Squad A Team : Area fire towards the assholes

2nd Squad B Team : QUICK back into cover!

3rd Squad A Team : MOVE forward as shown on the map.

3rd Squad B Team : MOVE forward as shown on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If my remaining assets die I'll take control of anything we have free but for now, I'll stick with my squad and two iglas. The remaining ones, being dry and all, wouldn't get any orders.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Igla mans would be useful as disposable-ish recon. If we want to try to peek around the corner farther east on the road that might be a good use for them.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Was looking at the save and noticed a few things.

Yooper's scout team is under fire from an enemy squad that is sitting maybe 30 meters away from it. You can see several of the grenades get thrown.

This is where they seem to be.

An Oplot is driving south and then we lose contact with it. It may be moving towards Kev's tanks.

An Abrams and an Oplot have moved up into the entrance of Mount Silver.

One of our FO teams has moved up into a spot that can call in a precision fire mission on where that ATGM team was.

The FO that can see that Abrams can call in a precision fire mission on it. If you target the ground right in front of the Abrams instead of it directly it won't get a laser warning.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is still the basic plan I want to implement for 1st Company. How exactly you deploy you platoons is up to you guys. My intent is to have stationary positions for spotting advantage and to use the open sightlines of the pass for mutual support and heavier weapon coverage. In theory, we will see the enemy first and have more units to shoot at them than they will have against us. I think it's less likely that they will try to run vehicles through here, but we have ATGMs in the center and north of our line as well as other battalion support weapons helping out as well as a number of RPG-7 and RPG-26 assets well within effective range. The longest range we will meet the enemy in these woods is about 250 meters and will likely be much closer, so whoever get the first shots off should have devastating effect on the enemy.

The main weakness of this plan is a lack of tactical mobility. We don't have many options to maneuver in these woods and whatever we do will be slow. We are committing our full company in a static line which lacks flexibility. I think this is largely unavoidable given the nature of the terrain. the size of our sector, and our assets on-hand, but it could be a problem in particular if the enemy are able to turn our right flank where the woods are thin and vehicles could move faster. This is why I would like Hubis to continue to move his 2nd Platoon BTRs into the woodline. It give 3 more HMGs to help repel an attack across the green field and offers a ride if we are able to break-out some infantry into the south to threaten the enemy flanks. The 4th Platoon BTR will move to provide some HMG coverage of the pass from the south and 1st Platoon BTRs should amply cover the north.

As planned, we will have a coherent if somewhat spread-out and static defensive line through the woods where the enemy seems to be advancing. We will have 2 tanks, 2 ATGMs, 7 BTRs, and the 4th Platoon HQ (for calling artillery fires) covering our right flank with long-range weapons and options to maneuver should they arise. Our left flank is secured by 2nd Company positions guarding the field and the edge of the wood to the east.

Forums Terrorist: I didn't see you in the Leper's Colony. Are you still with us? If so, your guys might need to slow down to avoid getting too tired for at least part of their move. Also, you should devise a plan to utilize your BTRs for HMG coverage down the passes in light of the enemy advance.

Hubis: Maintain the plan with your BTRs as explained above. Arrange your men as you see fit; you have the challenge of a long convex section of the line and depth will be challenging in this area of the woods.

Fray: Tweak your positions as needed. You should be confident that the field on your flank is covered, but be ready to respond if we encounter problems there. Make sure you interface with Hubis' platoon's defenses coherently and without exploitable gaps. Position your BTRs into the treeline to cover the field with the HMGs as they emerge from the woods.

Koolkevz666: Tanks on the way. Party time.

1st Company HQ: Depart the BTR FAST in this general direction about 20 meters away

1st APC, 4th Platoon: At the end of the current series of QUICK moves, add a FAST just south of Kevin's tanks.
Squad / B Team ATGM: QUICK into the treeline facing southeast. DEPLOY
4th Platoon HQ: QUICK into the treeline. HIDE

2nd APC, 4th Platoon: MOVE as per the map.

Squad / A Team ATGM: QUICK across the field and then MOVE as per the map. DEPLOY

Squad / C Team ATGM: Cancel the current orders. QUICK for about 50 meters and then MOVE as per the map. DEPLOY

Squad / A Team MG: Change the current order to QUICK DEPLOY

Squad / B Team MG: Cancel the current orders. QUICK for about 50 meters and then MOVE as per the map. DEPLOY

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah turns out the worst thing happens, so I got the consolation prize of still being able to post. Anyway could you clarify where exactly the BTRs should be covering? I'm going to DISMOUNT the HQ team regardless and drop all the infantry squads down to MOVE speed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

These are spots I had in mind. The farther back they are, the better your infantry will protect them, but it's up to you how stuck in you want them to be. Just keep in mind the enemy will have AT weapons and in these woods they're probably going to get blown up eventually, so try to keep some space from infantry if possible.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you are now entering the hall of violence

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens', Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy', Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team', Engineer Platoon 'Waifs and Strays'

3-2 Platoon
Everyone in the HQ BTR including the crew is to bombburst out as fast as possible. Get at least 30m from the vehicle. 3-2-3 move as shown.

3 Co Weapons platoon:
Drop off the HMG to Katzenmaus if not already done. The BTR can then retreat into the trees by the highway.

Engineers:
Drop off squads at the two drop off points, pick up the MG at pick up point 1 and then rendezvous at the RV point.

All others continue previous.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 12, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like we have the older, crappier Iglas. Fine against UKR equipment and drones, but apparently completely ineffective vs. Apaches.

Aircraft should have a much greater chance of spotting things that are moving. Doubly so in the case of an Apache, that has a full blown fire control radar.

Hopefully the SAM trails will have spooked the Americans into not sending their Apache in close for rockets and guns. Hopefully it's the variety that only has 4 hellfires. If not, these next few minutes will be unpleasant. Here are the different possible Apache loadouts:

I want to call in two precision artillery strikes: 3 rounds on (hopefully the ground in front of) the Abrams from one battery, and then 3 rounds of airburst rounds on the ATGM position from the other battery. This will tie up both batteries for 4/5 minutes and remove 6 rounds from our total ammo cap, but I doubt we'll see a better opportunity to use artillery than this.

The infantry along the Mt Silver reverse slope could stand to be spread out a bit more: 2 coy HQ for example is sitting on top of an MG and a grenade launcher:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

1st Company, 2nd Platoon

Whoops! Let's take a do-over.

All BTRs: continue as ordered to the positions indicated.

Platoon HQ: Double-back! MOVE to the position indicated, getting sight along the meadow.
1st Squad/A-Team: Double-back! MOVE across the clearing and take up a defensive position as indicated.
1st Squad/B-Team: MOVE across the clearing and take up a forward position where A-team was originally headed.
2nd Squad/A-Team: Double-back! MOVE ENE a little bit and take up a defensive position at the edge of the clearing.
2nd Squad/B-Team: MOVE SSW across the gap and take up a forward position as indicated.
3rd Squad: SPLIT again (sorry GI :shobon: ) and take up basically your same positions as before, covering two corners of that clearing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

These are spots I had in mind. The farther back they are, the better your infantry will protect them, but it's up to you how stuck in you want them to be. Just keep in mind the enemy will have AT weapons and in these woods they're probably going to get blown up eventually, so try to keep some space from infantry if possible.

Might I suggest the Blue, Lime-Green, and Teal positions on the left-hand side? The ones on the right might be useful if you want to anchor your flank a little but I'd be concerned about them being that enclosed on. The Yellow one on the left is basically where the company heavy weapons assets are going so that's probably already covered. The Teal position would help cover my lines a little better by providing some crossfire.

E: Also I propose we rename this region "The Jungle" because baby, you gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hubis fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 13, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

abelian posted:

Aircraft should have a much greater chance of spotting things that are moving. Doubly so in the case of an Apache, that has a full blown fire control radar.

Suddenly I have doubts about moving a dozen BTRs to support an attack. Like, as long as we had no idea why vehicles in the woods were getting hit while vehicles in the open were ignored, I had no issues with throwing things east, but now that we know there's a way to mitigate the damage and I'm ordering the exact opposite...

Hubis
May 18, 2003

dublish posted:

Suddenly I have doubts about moving a dozen BTRs to support an attack. Like, as long as we had no idea why vehicles in the woods were getting hit while vehicles in the open were ignored, I had no issues with throwing things east, but now that we know there's a way to mitigate the damage and I'm ordering the exact opposite...

So on the plus side, the way air call-ins work in this game, they specified that sector as a specific target area. My suspicion is that they are trying to prevent any reinforcement / destroy any tanks there in preparation for an assault, Given we are already fairly well deployed, it hasn't done a lot to hurt our efficacy there (provided they don't go in for a gun run).

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon

Have 2nd and 3rd squad split off assault teams and move as shown. Move up the HQ team too.

Have 1st squad A team put down suppression fire on the contact near them.

Change the destination for 1st squad B team as shown and add a small target arc to stop them from shooting at things.

Move 1st BTR up and lay down fire on the enemy contact.

Move 2nd and 3rd BTR up as shown.

4th Platoon

Have ATGM B team pack up and move as shown and deploy weapon.

Have the BTRs reverse into cover.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

NastyToes posted:

Was looking at the save and noticed a few things.

An Abrams and an Oplot have moved up into the entrance of Mount Silver.

So they would not have moved those tanks up to that position unless they felt confident the woods just north of the gap were secure, right? I think we should assume they maybe a platoon there and possibly moving northward. We should make sure that whoerever is deployed to the east of FT's 1/1 line (is that 3rd Company now?) is prepared for a push from the south, and that our lines link up effectively over there.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel", Weapons team "Humanitarian Convoy - Beds and Tents", Battalion ATGM team "Lost Muscovite Football Team - Cheerleading Squad"

HQ - pink
3/1/1 - red
3/1/2 - orange
3/1/3 - blue
HMG - black

The positions don't need to be precise, use ones which make more sense.
Lend BTR2 and BTR3 temporarily to dublish, allow further delegation.

Intentions:
Still move over the HMG team (black arrow) from Jaguars! once dropped off and take them somewhere with good firing positions to the southeast and good cover. Try to get eyes on the southern approach on Mt. Silver with the HQ guys (pink) but don't let them peak out into the open.
Have Assault teams guard the southern wooden flank of the support teams, for that move them to the approximate positions (red, orange, blue).
Cones are not firing arcs but facing directions.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Katznmaus posted:

Lend BTR2 and BTR3 temporarily to dublish, allow further delegation.

Thanks, I'll get some orders for these in today.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

2/2

BTRs continue area fire on contacts in the copse in support of Yooper's advancing squads, or targeted firing if we have los

Squads move to designated positions with indicated facings

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Provisional orders for 1st and 3rd Platoons 1st Company. If GI calls it later than the deadline please post your own orders Forums Terrorist and Fray.

1st Platoon: Cancel current orders. Split the squads and MOVE per the map. I've noted the section that has the MG for clarity.
MOVE the HQ unit per the map.
MOVE the BTRs that are empty into the positions noted.
After the HQ is out MOVE the other BTR as per the map.

3rd Platoon: MOVE as drawn on the map.

3rd Platoon BTRs: MOVE the one already out of the woods into the treeline looking southeast.
Add QUICK at the end of the current orders for the other BTRs into the treeline facing southeast

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 14, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Bat HQ assets

FAC
Adjust your position slightly:

Please face towards the crossroads after being done moving.

JobboTigr
Continue previous orders, but take a slightly wider path:

Please also order Jobbo's crew to move quickly out to the edge of the treeline and face towards the crossroads area (sorry, screenshot did not turn out, will re-post when I have a moment).

FO team
Please lay in the following fire mission:

Target: point; please try to click on the tile underneath the front of the tank, in hopes of avoiding setting off its laser warning receiver. You should be able to center it directly under the tank, without a "target vehicle" mission.
Three tubes
Precision
General
Immediate

FO driver
Please lay in the following fire mission:

Target: point; please click on the faded blue infantry infantry contact that we have here
Three tubes
Precision
Personnel
Immediate

Command vehicle #2
Continue previous orders, but move a bit deeper.

abelian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 14, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Headquarters Orders: I'm hedging my bets with the company BTRs a bit.

The two BTRs from Katznmaus will cross the field QUICK as shown, swinging a bit south to (hopefully) avoid the helicopter, and one of the AGL BTRs will QUICK straight down the road. All three vehicles will TARGET BRIEFLY at points in the woods that I can't really define at this point- my intention is for them to spread their fire out and keep any Ukrainians from getting funny ideas, but if any contacts become visible after the vehicles have reached their destinations, they should receive targeting priority.

The remaining AGL BTR, plus the company support and HQ BTRs, will remain stationary this turn in an attempt to stay hidden from the helicopter.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Turn delayed by 24 hours because I had family over and am totally wiped now, I'll knock the turn out tomorrow evening.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'm on travel in bumfuck Wyoming today so I'll just continue my orders and do tweaks next turn. Don't think I'll complete them for a while anyway.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Fray posted:

I'm on travel in bumfuck Wyoming today so I'll just continue my orders and do tweaks next turn. Don't think I'll complete them for a while anyway.

Actually I think a couple of your units have reached their destination and are waiting for orders now

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I havent really needed to, but im encouraging one of my LTs to pick up as my adjutant. Finals approach and my duties will slacken.

Its nbd afaict seeing as everything 3 coy is doing us below my scope and I dont wanna micromanage

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmgwdNij5mo

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ql6mqfu7tjuvaw2/Goon%20Game%20Turn%2027%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0

Next orders Thursday at 18:00

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Decoy Badger, time to be a hero.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Someone get a Hero of the Stolichnaya medal for Koolkevz666's tanker who made that shot after like 12 consecutive turns just sitting there drinking vodka.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

:staredog:

So provided Decoy Badger's last man standing does not earn his place place in the hall of heroes, that Abrams could really mess 2nd Coy's little firefight if they start shooting airburst shells into those woods (or just chewing through the BTRs)

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
There's not much more I can do to make this guy shoot, can I? He can intermittently see them already and is aiming - would a MOVE SLOW order reset all that AI? He also still has the radio, so maybe we can call in precision artillery if he somehow survives.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
This is an appropriate time for heroism.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Decoy Badger posted:

There's not much more I can do to make this guy shoot, can I? He can intermittently see them already and is aiming - would a MOVE SLOW order reset all that AI? He also still has the radio, so maybe we can call in precision artillery if he somehow survives.

I'll check the LoS from your position. Looks like you lost visual contact at the very last moment for some reason. Unfortunately the Abrams is likely to move now, being that it's about to get orders from its human controller.

You'd need a laser designator and need to be an officer in order to call in artillery, unfortunately.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm excited. poo poo's going down. My thoughts:

1) It's apparent there are a few more Ukrainians to fight here than I initially thought, and we're taking casualties. I'm pleased that we seem to be giving at least as good as we're taking though. As long as we have the ability to press the attack, I intend to.

2) Yooper, it looks like you're taking the brunt of the casualties. I'm giving you control of Katznmaus' two BTRs- including your three and Fuligin's three, you've got a lot of machine guns to support you. Get them into the fight. Move everything up as close as you can. I don't want the Ukrainians to be able to stick their heads up without getting wasted. If you need to delay your infantry while vehicles move forward, figure out a way to do it while keeping something firing downrange at all times.

3) Yooper again, your scout team person has done its job and has a tank incoming. If we can deal with that tank and get some of our tank platoon onto Ravaged Path, I will be thrilled.

3) NastyToes, keep pushing in to help Yooper. Your scouts have given us good information on where their vehicles are and roughly how many (1 tank, at least 4 APCs, so I'd guess at least two platoons) we're facing. As long as those vehicles don't push through the woods, we've got a big advantage. What you do with those scouts is up to you.

4) Fuligin, if your guys are moving, they're moving so slowly I can't really tell in the video. Get them moving faster. If that incoming tank is as unsupported as I think, you should be able to wreck it. I'm assigning the tank from 5th platoon that's been watching the crossroads to you, so hopefully we can overwhelm the enemy tank. Be careful with how close to treelines you put your guys- this turn has shown us how badly we can get hosed up by HE shells bursting in the trees.

EDIT: 5) If we can clear the woods north of Ravaged Path and send some scouts through Golem Draw, we may open a path for our reinforcements to assault the town. I'm optimistic. Yooper and NastyToes, since both of you have the game, keep me up to date on how well your guys are doing and how much more you think you can push things.

6) Use Target Light. No need to waste RPGs on infantry contacts.

dublish fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 15, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cyka blyat

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Video for the soon-to-be hero of the Russian Federation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZkeFolDKYw

Dublish, looks like you're really in the thick of things. From the turn replay, it sure looks like most of the visible Ukr contacts are pinned or at least decently suppressed. As NastyToes continues to swing south and closes to destroy them, make sure he probes it first with a smaller force. There is enough room in those woods for there to be fresh troops that we don't yet know about, and as we've seen multiple times you can be right next to someone without even suspecting that they are there.

Is indirect fire coming down on us? Or was that just more helicopter fire? I did not hear any artillery fall sounds during the turn. But if so, that means they have a Raven UAV, probably overlooking the road. And that's probably why the Apache is concentrating its fire over there.

Btw, 30mm artillery fire landed all around Jaguars' HQ squad and somehow only the BTR crew was injured by it. Recommend spreading those infantry out even further.

Glynn, can I hand off control of those two AGLs to you or one of your platoons?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dublish posted:

6) Use Target Light. No need to waste RPGs on infantry contacts.

One other thing to add. When Generation Internet said that our troops were firing off their AT assets, that's not quite correct.

Our troops carry RPG-7s with four different types of warheads:

• PG-7VL HEAT (for use against vehicles)
  • PG-7VR Tandem HEAT (For use against vehicles with ERA)
  • OG-7V HE frag (Large frag radius explosives, only useful against infantry)
  • TBG-7V thermobaric (Large high temperature explosive, only useful against infantry)

Presumably our troops will save the HEAT rounds for use against vehicles.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

abelian posted:

Is indirect fire coming down on us? Or was that just more helicopter fire? I did not hear any artillery fall sounds during the turn. But if so, that means they have a Raven UAV, probably overlooking the road. And that's probably why the Apache is concentrating its fire over there.

Glynn, can I hand off control of those two AGLs to you or one of your platoons?

I think they have a drone up over the area being used to call in artillery. It looked like 120mm mortar to me.

And yeah, I'll pass those along to the platoons to reinforce their positions.

abelian posted:

Presumably our troops will save the HEAT rounds for use against vehicles.

They won't shoot RPG-26 into the dirt, but they will use up all the RPG-7VL HEAT rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

I think they have a drone up over the area being used to call in artillery. It looked like 120mm mortar to me.

NastyToes is confirming in Roll20. At least 3 artillery spotting rounds have come down, mostly north of Victory Road, and he thinks there are spotters way down at Mirage Island calling a mission on our tank/ATGM/MG covering the crossroads. Can drones call in artillery? I thought they were just used for spotting.

• Locked thread