Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Mateen Cleaves is like one of eight totally forgettable Cavs lottery picks from the pre-Lebron post-Mark Price era

He was a pistons pick.

E: you are forgiven both for not remembering anything about Mateen's pro career and for being unable to recognized that godawful fire horse logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BWV posted:

at the time did we ever argue about the dress code? I wonder if there's an archived thread out there with all of us supporting it.
well, lemme see...it's hard to find people talking about it when it was actually instituted and who knows when it started dawning on enpough people that it was hosed up

I know this is cheap fun esp the draft takes but I can't help but enjoy everytime I go into the sas nba archives. it's a cool alien world, hope you guys don't mind

quote:

The Knicks have huge expiring contracts (which won't bring them anywhere near being under the cap anyways) so expect them to take on even more salary for even MORE YEARS in an effort to stake a claim to the Eastern Conference 8th seed for the next decade!

quote:

Hey man, in 2009 we'll only be spending $30M, and in 2011 we'll only be spending $10M! Seriously, though, the Knicks have to ditch their "reload and sell seats" mentality or they'll never get anywhere.

Hire a coach who can build up young players; Sweetney and Ariza can be great players if trained right. GET A CENTER! Kurt Thomas is a perfectly fine forward, don't torture him by putting him up against guys like Shaq and Yao. Get rid of some of our "finnese" guys, who are really "dribble for a while and hack up a lovely shot" players. Tim Thomas, Jamal Crawford, Jerome Williams... all of them gotta go.

Ah, I guess it's hopeless. I mean, look at some of the guys we're still paying: Shandon Anderson is still getting $21M from us, John Amaechi is getting $3M, and some guy I've never even seen play, Jackie Butler, is getting money.

But hey, man, once Ewing comes out of retirement, we're off to the Finals.
:(

quote:

I hope the bobcats get Bogut. They would be a forcefull young team.
:)

here we are

quote:

What do you guys think of the new dress code? Think it's going to do any good, or will the thug image still prevail? Alot of the players are pissed, and one even said the NBA should give them money to buy new clothing. [rant] You know.. because while 15 year old fast food workers have to buy their own work shirts, with the company logo on them, when they are being paid $6 an hour the NBA owes you a few thousand to update your wardrobe. You are just that special. [/rant]

I really hope it changes some additude about both the players and basketball. I just can't get behind the whole thug mentality that is overplayed and I hope this fixes some of it.

quote:

Oh, Stephen Jackson, what ice won't you rock?

I dig the logic behind all this. Yes, the NBA's jewelry ban is racist against young black men because young black men wear jewelry. I can totally relate. My job's "no running shorts on casual day" ban is completely racist against 32-year-old Latinos named Larry. But you know, I'm a 32-year-old Latino named Larry and that's what we like to wear. The Man™ rears his ugly head again.

I would've loved to have seen Larry Bird's reaction when he read this bullshit. Those 4 chains probably cost more money than Robert Parrish made in his entire NBA career.

quote:

I do think they're trying to clean up the NBA's street image and make it more palatable for 18 - 35 white male America. I don't know if I'd call it racism, but I understand where he's coming from.

quote:

Regarding racism towards the NBA, some moron called into a local radio show this morning saying how he wouldn't pay a dime to go see the Nuggets and that he preferred going to Avs games because it was more "rock and roll". As someone who has been to many Nuggets games I have noticed the equal mix between whites and minorities among the crowd, so I think we really know where he was coming from.

If you are a true fan of the NBA you will look past this "hip hop" image and appreciate the league for what it is. It's not like the quality of play has declined over the years.

quote:

I don't know. I agree with Gendo in that it's a move to make the league a little more appealing to white guys, but I still think it's a fair decision.

Do they have dress codes in other major professional leagues in the US?

quote:

The players are too self-important to realize its a business move that will, in time, get them more money

quote:

Of course, it is a savvy business move and they should realize that. I expect a lot of them do. The Pacers just aren’t exactly the NBA’s think tank.

Now whether or not people should be so negative about "urban" things is another question altogether. That’s why I’m kind of on the fence about this, I understand why the NBA is doing it and it makes sense, but I also understand why these guys are rankled that society doesn’t just accept them as they are.

quote:

don't see why these players are loving whinning over a DRESS CODE.

At any job that is some what respectable, you have to adhere to a dress code. If I went to my job dressed up like a hoodlum with several chains around my neck, I would be told to go home.

Besides, a good majority (if not all) NBA players can afford about 20-30 suits on their salary. Even the NBDL scrubs can go to loving Burlington Coat Factory and get them a suit or two for their 10 day contracts at a decent price.

As for the Jewelry being "racist" accoring to Stephen Jackson, he should just shut his loving mouth. It's already bad enough for the league has gotten bad publicity for the fight vs. the Pistons. If you think chains are so important to every young black man, than put your money where your mouth is and pay the loving fines that you will be getting from Stern for wearing them.

quote:

I recall that talented moron complaining how the age limit was racist as well. The one thing O'Neal didn't realize is how his own career would've been helped if the age limit was present when he was drafted.

it was...a different time...
?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao. I've always been partial to Drew Gooden's "Gucci Juche" look

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

don't see why these players are loving whinning over a DRESS CODE.

At any job that is some what respectable, you have to adhere to a dress code. If I went to my job dressed up like a hoodlum with several chains around my neck, I would be told to go home.

Besides, a good majority (if not all) NBA players can afford about 20-30 suits on their salary. Even the NBDL scrubs can go to loving Burlington Coat Factory and get them a suit or two for their 10 day contracts at a decent price.

As for the Jewelry being "racist" accoring to Stephen Jackson, he should just shut his loving mouth. It's already bad enough for the league has gotten bad publicity for the fight vs. the Pistons. If you think chains are so important to every young black man, than put your money where your mouth is and pay the loving fines that you will be getting from Stern for wearing them.

lollllllllll

e:

quote:

I would've loved to have seen Larry Bird's reaction
can't believe someone earnestly typed this

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 16, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If you guys look at the archives you will find Bizort talking endless poo poo about David stern for the dress code

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

He was a pistons pick

I'm rusty, I need to quit working and spend more time staring at statistics

Punkin Spunkin posted:

well, lemme see...it's hard to find people talking about it when it was actually instituted and who knows when it started dawning on enpough people that it was hosed up

I know this is cheap fun esp the draft takes but I can't help but enjoy everytime I go into the sas nba archives. it's a cool alien world, hope you guys don't mind

here we are

?

yikes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He was a pistons pick.

E: you are forgiven both for not remembering anything about Mateen's pro career and for being unable to recognized that godawful fire horse logo

The teal should've given it away, though it could also be Vancouver.

Declan MacManus posted:

also I googled Mateen Cleaves to see if that was actually him and it turns out he's accused of sexual assault

is nothing sacred

Yeah he probably did it too. Awkward for Tom Izzo, whose son's middle name is Mateen.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

here we are

?

this was great work out of you. I laughed very hard. Especially at the poster who is mad they can't wear their chains to work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Apparently the Pacers' finest were the first and loudest to cry bullshit considering how much of that thread is people talking about how DUMB Jermaine and S-Jax are. i had no idea

quote:

Pacers' Jackson calls ban on chains 'racist statement'
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson, contending that a league ban on chains worn over clothing is "a racist statement" from the league, wore every long, diamond-studded chain in his collection Tuesday night as a protest.

Stephen Jackson, pictured during the NBA playoffs in May, says he doesn't plan on challenging the new dress code. Jackson voiced no opposition to the bulk of the "business casual" demands in the NBA's new dress code, but he described the jewelry ban as "attacking young black males."

"I think it's a racist statement because a lot of the guys who are wearing chains are my age and are black," said Jackson, 27. "I wore all my jewelry today to let it be known that I'm upset with it.

"I'll wear a suit every day. I think we do need to look more professional because it is a business. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress. But it's one thing to [enforce a] dress code and it's another thing if you're attacking cultures, and that's what I think they're doing."

Jackson made his comments before Tuesday's home exhibition game against San Antonio, with the four chains he wore to work hanging in his locker -- one sporting his initials, two with a crucifix and a fourth depicting Jesus Christ.

A section in the new dress code listing items players are not allowed to wear on team or league business includes "chains, pendants or medallions worn over the player's clothing."

"I know a lot of guys on my team are upset and I have no problem speaking up on it," Jackson said.

it's sad even then they had to be all kid gloves about it and back away from their initial outcry. bums me out

quote:

JO is being interviewed on NBA Nation right now.

He presented himself very well and made a good case.

JO said he doesn't think Stern is racist and made it clear that his quote was taken out of context. I get the feeling like the interviewer was trying to manipulate him into saying something he didn't mean to. Race was only briefly mentioned during the interview. Oh ESPN, what will you do next?

He also made it clear that the NBA's justifications for the age limit were wrong.

To sum up JO's original argument: He sees how this effects black people but he does not think this is primarily a racial issue or that Stern is racist. There is no good reason why you should take away an opportunity from a player who can get the job done

Matt Winer is a loving weasel

I guess this means we should be listening closer to whatever the current S-Jax of the league is saying. someone figure out who that is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

The teal should've given it away, though it could also be Vancouver.

Yeah he probably did it too. Awkward for Tom Izzo, whose son's middle name is Mateen.

Wikipedia says he's a music talent manager which is the sketchiest way to write that profession so he probably did that stuff

Bad year for point guards who will never be as impressive as they were at 22

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Old NBA posts are the best. The darko posts from the 03 draft thread :allears:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
EvanTH being an rear end in a top hat makes me want to cheer for Steph Curry now take him sad.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Apparently the Pacers' finest were the first and loudest to cry bullshit considering how much of that thread is people talking about how DUMB Jermaine and S-Jax are. i had no idea

it's sad even then they had to be all kid gloves about it and back away from their initial outcry. bums me out

I guess this means we should be listening closer to whatever the current S-Jax of the league is saying. someone figure out who that is.
he presented himself well is one degree away from he was surprisingly articulate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Current SJax would probably be JR Smith

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

When I finish my dissertation and I'm unemployed I'll do some NBA/SAS archival work and write short articles about all our best works. Looking forward to covering Anthony Randolph, those Pacer teams, when we thought Kobe was good, etc.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Other topics: The Adam Morrison experience,

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If anyone wants to watch timberwolves games, turn it off they're not leading by 30 at the half because they will lose horrible otherwise

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
Rankled is a word that is not used enough in society.
I think Larry the Latino was my favourite part of that whole post. I need to get archives.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Phil Jackson gave Joakim Noah $72 million.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BWV posted:

When I finish my dissertation and I'm unemployed I'll do some NBA/SAS archival work and write short articles about all our best works. Looking forward to covering Anthony Randolph, those Pacer teams, when we thought Kobe was good, etc.

Anthony Randolph is only 27, he can still break out!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

some other bulls poster, please confirm that i didn't hallucinate the hoiberg throwing the ball to the starters intro on WGN

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

Phil Jackson gave Joakim Noah $72 million.

quote:

The Knicks signed Joakim Noah to a four-year, $72 million contract and their best lineup may be without him on the floor.

That was certainly the case in Monday’s 93-77 victory over the shorthanded Mavericks, when Kristaps Porzingis moved to center, Noah took a seat on the bench, and New York immediately went on a game-breaking 30-10 run.

The small lineup – which featured Carmelo Anthony at power forward and Justin Holiday at small forward — was more in tune to the pace-and-space style of the modern NBA, and Noah understood why coach Jeff Hornacek made the move.

Checks out

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

some other bulls poster, please confirm that i didn't hallucinate the hoiberg throwing the ball to the starters intro on WGN

It happened.

We are down an alpha tonight although the Bulls are much better without Rondo this year.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Blazers are not good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KAT please never shoot 10 threes in a game again

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
re: dress code discussion

I miss players showing up to games wearing sweet throwback jerseys.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

IcePhoenix posted:

KAT please never shoot 10 threes in a game again

Haha I thought this was hyperbole

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bulls own when Rondo doesn't play.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bulls own when Rondo doesn't play.

The NBA in its totality owns when Rondo doesn't play

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"The Memphis Grizzlies, Milwaukee Bucks, and Dallas Mavericks have all stopped staying at Donald Trump-owned hotels this season"
http://deadspin.com/report-three-nb...dium=socialflow

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Kings traded Jon Barry for Mateen and I'm still mad about it.

I think Ray Allen managed to keep him around on the sonics because he was friends with everyone on the team

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Schlieren posted:

The NBA in its totality owns when Rondo doesn't play

I like Rondo enough that it was best when he was on the Kings, staying out of the lime light and generating some nice highlights every once in a while on a team that's not worth watching.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

This Raptors team is really fun and it's unfortunate they're stuck in the shadow of the Cavs. Here's hoping you guys don't become the 2010s version of the 80s Bucks

Time posted:

Haha I thought this was hyperbole

Center of the future!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IanTheM posted:

I like Rondo enough that it was best when he was on the Kings, staying out of the lime light and generating some nice highlights every once in a while on a team that's not worth watching.

Stop liking rondo, he's a bad playing homophobic slur yeller! Just stop it!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Connect Four is a solved game, being "good" at it is like being "good" at tic-tac-toe

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

shirts and skins posted:

George Karl dressing like eminem

Give me this. What is this. Give it to me.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Give me this. What is this. Give it to me.

I don't know if its the same thing they're talking about but he got fined for wearing a nuggets throwback over a turtleneck once\

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/JimPeteHoops/status/798551140392730624
spooky

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't know if its the same thing they're talking about but he got fined for wearing a nuggets throwback over a turtleneck once\

What the heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

What are they doing at halftime to play their third quarters that badly? It's practically comical.

• Locked thread