Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I've been playing frontier (without runeys this time :ninja:) and tomatoes w/ onions is kind of ridiculous at max prosperity cause of really fast ketchup making without having to worry about formulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's 10 minutes of Skytree Village footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtD0fLiUlE

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Looks like they fixed the problem with only being able to affect one square at a time. Jury's still out on harvesting animations though - if it's still harvesting one by one with a slow animation then it's just not worth playing.

I will admit that the RF series have really spoiled me on that one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dirk the Average posted:

Looks like they fixed the problem with only being able to affect one square at a time. Jury's still out on harvesting animations though - if it's still harvesting one by one with a slow animation then it's just not worth playing.

I will admit that the RF series have really spoiled me on that one.

You can now multi-pick up to 3x3 by default (ie without a tool) but I don''t think there's any way to skip the animation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

You can now multi-pick up to 3x3 by default (ie without a tool) but I don''t think there's any way to skip the animation.

Eh, that should be fine, as long as you don't gaze longingly into each item of produce one by one in the process.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Well, I'm curious and hopeful about it. The Lost Valley was alright, and kinda grew on me aside from stuff like no tool upgrades.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume sent out advance copies on Skytree Village (plus it broke street date in a few places) and all the impressions are quite positive - it's a straight iteration on Lost Valley so most of the basic systems are more or less the same, for better or for worse, but the social elements have been greatly expanded, there's lots of ease-of-life improvements, in-game explanations for the more arcane farming systems, etc plus the art style has improved and the writing is apparently better than last time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How's the husbandos?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Natsume sent out advance copies on Skytree Village (plus it broke street date in a few places) and all the impressions are quite positive - it's a straight iteration on Lost Valley so most of the basic systems are more or less the same, for better or for worse, but the social elements have been greatly expanded, there's lots of ease-of-life improvements, in-game explanations for the more arcane farming systems, etc plus the art style has improved and the writing is apparently better than last time.

Yeah I ordered it from Target as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal and it arrived on the 4th so target definitely broke street date. Haven't had a chance to play yet been too busy at work.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

How's the husbandos?

http://www.natsume.com/current_game/games/3Dhmstv/character/index.html

There's all the characters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

mmm. nice early 20s website design

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The two characters I clicked are not marriageable. :negative:

Tired Moritz posted:

mmm. nice early 20s website design

Those image maps. :eek:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for a cheap website if the game's $30 to start.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lmao that art is terrible

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most of the character art looks... ok? but the scientist guy looks really weird next to everyone else and the harvest sprites just look awful

i don't even really care about the original designs much, but at least they weren't, uh, baby tingles???

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 8, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Character designs aside, the art is fine, I think. You mostly just see the models in-game so it's not as if you're confronted with it all the time.

TLV's art was worse and the mobile game is embarrassingly ugly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There are two types of people in the world, ones that stand like this:

And ones that stand like this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what's bizarre is how some characters do have more expressive art when you click on them, and then some just... don't.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
only people you can bang gets special art. everyone is stuck on the T-pose.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spring 6 of skytree village: the characters are awful. :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gmq posted:

Spring 6 of skytree village: the characters are awful. :negative:

rip

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
shocking

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anyone else playing the game? This is my first "natsume" harvest moon, mostly playing it because I was curious if it was as terrible as it looked (it is).

I think I broke it somehow, I'm in day 8 and I already have enough money to fill my entire farm (already expanded twice) with crops. Maybe that's just how it is?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Being able to do all that within your first week of farming sounds very broken, even with the newer SoS games being very relaxed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wow, this looks really bad. Like a game made from tutorials and free graphics they found online.The original games had a pretty good aesthetic and this doesn't look like it fits at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
guys i'm starting to think that natsume might not really be good at this video games stuff

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It looks fine, though? By fine I mean completely in line with the general (not high) quality level of 3D Bokujo games.

gmq posted:

Anyone else playing the game? This is my first "natsume" harvest moon, mostly playing it because I was curious if it was as terrible as it looked (it is).

I think I broke it somehow, I'm in day 8 and I already have enough money to fill my entire farm (already expanded twice) with crops. Maybe that's just how it is?

The last game had fast days but barely enough time to do everything; for this game they sped up a lot of the planting/harvesting functions by making the tools better so now it's both fast-paced and gives you ample time to do lots of poo poo, so you can get through it pretty quickly.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Field report so far-
Pros:
-Yay faster animations. I can get things did.
-Having an actual town is nice.
-The animal sprite ACTUALLY PUTS THEM BACK IN THE BARN WHEN YOU RING THE BELL A SECOND TIME. WOO.
-Tool upgrades. I got the first set free by talking to the harvest goddess. However, it's a 'do things to skill up for upgrade' kinda deal so far.
-MOAR FISHES.
-Graphics improved a bit.
-FREE CUTE DONKEY.
-Music still good. Doc even gets his own awesome theme.
-The views are kind of nice, and let you change to whichever is easiest for farming.

Cons:
-WTF harvest goddess asking for a mutation of a mutation. Grow a shitload of onions on dry soil your first spring.
-Requests escalate quickly.
-Getting around the first few days sucks until you learn to jump.
-Terraforming ALSO SUCKS until you get the hammer.
-No gift giving.
-Controls get a little awkward depending on the view.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 13, 2016

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Field Trip Continued:
-Okay, this is really sucking. People are asking for MORE MUTATIONS. For so early on, that's really not awesome.
-Holy poo poo, mining.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Trio of Towns is getting another patch in Japan, this time it adds two new marriage candidates (I guess Stardew Valley was just that influential). The new bachelorette is Stephanie, the host for all the contests.

The new bachelor is...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Trio of Towns is getting another patch in Japan, this time it adds two new marriage candidates (I guess Stardew Valley was just that influential). The new bachelorette is Stephanie, the host for all the contests.

The new bachelor is...

lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stardew Valley isn't even easily available in Japan yet. I heavily doubt it's influencing a Japanese studio that's generally more focused on their Japanese audience

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't believe a western indie developer owns the concept of content updates for farming games

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

They announce a ridiculous bachelor and you're arguing about Game Politics :eng99:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Did y'all know sometimes people say things that are not meant to be taken 100% seriously.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I sort of like playing as a gal more than as a dude, but dang. All the bachelorettes seem so much more awesome than the dudes in a lot of these games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

god bless, the secret of secret waifus/husbandos.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TurnipFritter posted:

The new bachelor is...

hmm. well, maybe if it was the cooking contest judge from SoS...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I am, however, severely disappointed in how the plushie bundles for Skytree were handled. Apparently their reasoning for not including a goodie with the games on release was 'employees were stealing them'. What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That actually makes quite a bit of sense. I worked at EB games for several years and people stole preorder bonuses alllll the time. Then customers would get mad and probably complain to the company, company sees it as a loss. You'd think if anything they'd incentivize it by encouraging people to preorder directly from them and include better bonuses that way.

• Locked thread