Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

there wolf posted:

I'm saying I think it's intentional; that they deliberately courted Ryan and Nicki because they wanted some unquestionably talented female artists to fix their woman problem. They made sure a few middle-talents were in the mix to give them a buffer from what's probably a pretty hostile workplace, and thus the female alliance was born.

If Nicki wasn't there to whine and mouth-off all the time then it'd be someone else. Probably Sketchy because he has the "I'm not here to make friends, now let me immediately start making alliances so I can manipulate the game" attitude that almost every other season's antagonist has.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you that someone said "oh poo poo, we should probably have female artists on the show". But the editing and backlash has proven that the "woman problem" runs deeper than they thought.

Nikki isn't great but she's super new and I'm really impressed at how quickly she learns. She's really receptive of criticism and advice and that's a nice counterpoint to Kevin's "why would I outline things?" attitude. Also she gave is the great comedy scene of her trying to hand out skulls and utterly failing at it strategically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And then she nailed the skull pick this week.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Nikki made her bed when she quit a challenge and then practically begged to get an easy canvas right after. Which she got, and won best tattoo with. Not to mention constantly interrupting critiques of artists she doesn't like, to the point the judges had to shut her down (but to be fair, that could easily be selective editing.)

I can totally buy that they wanted a female-centric season based on the lawsuit. I've questioned whether the alliance was actually put together by the producers in the past. But the alliance is annoying and it's because they're annoying, not because they're women. I'll knock them like I would any other annoying person on any other season.

I still think your obvious top three are Kelly, Ryan, and Gian, and we may very well see the first female Ink Master. The result of which will be in part due to strategy, but ultimately due to talent. And while Nikki is not in the same class as Kelly or Ryan, she's not been obviously bad and obviously saved the way Tatu Baby was in season 3.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I'm digging the girl alliance. I say this as one of those borderline misogynist females who has always conscientiously worked in male-dominated environments, and I also think Gia's ouster was fair enough. Ryan and Kelly are seriously talented, the 24 year old who looks like my mom IS growing in leaps and bounds, and the fact of it is, even discounting production stoking the melodramatic fire, it's ridiculously difficult to have a voice as a female when you're surrounded by men who presume themselves alpha and will speak more loudly and more authoritatively, even if they're full of it.

I didn't like Tatu Baby, but the girls' alliance is rad and I like it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
No one has ever been biased or rooting against female competitors on principle, it's just that they've just never been as undeniably good or consistent as the top competiton of any season. Sarah actually was, but her unstable personality caused her to self-destruct spectacularly like 3 different times, particularly in last season where she should've been able to get to the finale.

As for producers orchestrating the results, it's entirely likely. This happens on every reality show ever, even ones with intensely competitive formats and actual stakes for winning, like 'Last Comic Standing' which has actual proven quotas and winners are not selected solely on how funny they are. As a comedian.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, but this objective "they're just annoying because they are" tactic is bullshit. The entire show is annoying and we all watch it for that reason. If you wanted a competition show that's just about the craft and not about interpersonal drama, you'd be watching Bake Off. The girl-alliance is what makes this season interesting, and a lot of that is because Nikki is actually a really good antagonist; she's a decent artist, smart and adaptable enough to justify still being in the competition and giving other artist's poo poo for their work, while being over-dramatic and whiny enough that you enjoy rooting against her. In previous seasons, people were pretty good about being able to take that step back and appreciate an antagonist/villain for playing that role. But for some reason you just can't seem to do that with Nikki. There's just something about her that's exceptionally obnoxious... what could it be?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They're annoying because of the lack of awareness involved with their entire alliance mindset, which is "Us giving people a bad canvas is STRATEGY. People giving us a bad canvas is PERSECUTION."

I'm also in the camp of the top three being Kelly, Ryan, and Gian. I think that's the order they finish in as well, although I'm interested in what Gian could do with all that time the finalists get.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I'm a little surprised the judges don't give Kelly a harder time for doing the same stuff again and again. They beat that one dude a couple seasons ago who did the goofy big teeth big eyes newschool poo poo till the candy came out. But Kelly does Big head small eyes new school stuff three times out of four. It is always well applied, and good if you like goofy big-headed newschool stuff. Dunno, I suppose "instantly recognisable" is good in a lot of contexts, just like the stuff that isn't better.

I agree crying about bad skull picks is annoying, but it is also 22% of the show (and 30% reaction shots that were clearly not in context), every season. Don't think that is much different than usual.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A loving clipshow/interview fill in episode with zero tattooing thanks to Sketchy Lawyer's bullshit last week. gently caress you Sketchy!! :argh:

But I had to laugh when they played the clip of Sketchy accusing the female contestants of being too emotional to win. Turns out someone was too emotionally fragile to go the distance but it wasn't a chick ....

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

While I was looking forward to actual tattooing, the most recent ep was still pretty good. Gian and Kelly's interviews were the best, most definitely. They're both so amazing :swoon: I don't know who I want to win!

The only interview I thought was really pointless and boring was Nate Beaver's. Like.. it added literally nothing to his character or the show, in my opinion. I feel like he was scripted to say he was trying to play the underdog card just to incite some drama, but who knows, maybe now that he's a top 6 finalist he'll actually step it up. We'll have to see.

I'll admit Nikki's interview and the little background blurb about her made me hate her a slight bit less. I still don't think she deserved to make it past the first few rounds cause she has put out absolute garbage work on the show, but eh.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Still didn't actually explain why she looks 50.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Yikes. Heavy Lifting sucked. The challenges are generally stupid, but I feel like they're getting further and further away from being anything that shows artistry, tattooing skill, or anything related to tattooing. I hated all the portraits in the elimination round and the artists arguing with the judges is just beyond annoying.

This season has been a bummer. I've been enjoying IM Redemptiion more than the main show and that's pretty loving pathetic. :(

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Nikki's looked nothing at all like the photo and it drove me crazy.
What awful gimmick are they gonna try next season?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I still don't understand the point of the teams. It doesn't seem to matter aside from the few early episodes where half the contestants were safe.

It's not like they've really capitalized on there being teams compared to previous seasons when the elimination tattoos are almost always individual efforts. Is there a lot more coaching from Nunez and Peck that we're not seeing?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

21st Cherry boy posted:

What awful gimmick are they gonna try next season?

Battle of the sexes? Oh wait they already did that with this lovely season.

TheDon01 posted:

I still don't understand the point of the teams. It doesn't seem to matter aside from the few early episodes where half the contestants were safe.

It's not like they've really capitalized on there being teams compared to previous seasons when the elimination tattoos are almost always individual efforts. Is there a lot more coaching from Nunez and Peck that we're not seeing?

There really is no point to the teams. If anything it takes away from the show because it affects Oliver and Nunez's ability to judge at all. I doubt the teams make a difference in the finale.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

When it's portrait day, and it's accuracy day, if your portrait is the least accurate, you should go home. Nikki should have gone home. Test of time notwithstanding, her face, the most crucial part, was worse than Kevin's. I agree with the judges that his face was also better than Ryan's, who did a better hair and shirt. Frankly, it's seems like Nunez had it out for him, which you can't really blame him for considering Kevin flat out defied him and his advice, but I also think Nunez is the only one actually taking the team thing seriously out of all the judges, contestants, and producers.

For the record, when I mention that the girls' alliance has been annoying, what happened during critiques is why. Goaded or encouraged or not, it's there, and is what it is.

I'm surprised Ryan not doing color didn't come up before now and she's pretty lucky it hasn't. I think she's screwed if she makes the finale and someone else picks her style. It took the recap last week for me to realize what Slo-Tek said is true: Kelly really does do those new school Living Dead Doll figures every time she gets the chance. With the gladiator at least you'd think they would have mentioned it more. Gian's still the front runner in my book.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The team thing makes sense for production and editing. Last season with a new vet trickling in every week, they never had more than eight tattoos/critiques per episode, so when you limit the number of competitors every week it gives the criticism segment more time to breathe.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Nikki getting mad that the boys were showing favoritism based on gender was simply amazing

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

When it's portrait day, and it's accuracy day, if your portrait is the least accurate, you should go home. Nikki should have gone home. Test of time notwithstanding, her face, the most crucial part, was worse than Kevin's. I agree with the judges that his face was also better than Ryan's, who did a better hair and shirt.

Yeah that blew my mind. Kevin's looked like the kid and sure, while he again didn't do any lining that would prolong the life of the tattoo, the person could go back in and get a touchup after a year or whatever. Nikki's tattoo will forever look like a loving demon child.

Kelly annoyed me the first time with her crack at Gian as well, something about baby's first critique or something. Uh he's been harshly critiqued before, and he's also the chillest person in the entire show so idk what she was talking about...

I'm sad to see Kevin go, his interview made me like him a lot more. I'm calling Nikki getting sent home next week, then Nate, then we've got our final three: Gian, Kelly and Ryan. I think it's gonna be Gian/Ryan for the two finalists, and I'm betting Ryan takes it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Kevin gave the kid freckles and from that picture I didn't think the kid had freckles. The skin texture just did not look right to me in Kevin's tattoo.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm sad to see Kevin go, his interview made me like him a lot more. I'm calling Nikki getting sent home next week, then Nate, then we've got our final three: Gian, Kelly and Ryan. I think it's gonna be Gian/Ryan for the two finalists, and I'm betting Ryan takes it.

I agree Nikki will go home next week and then Beavers. I'm kinda pulling for Kelly to be our first lady Ink Master. Ink Mistress. She is just so chill and nice and seems like a fun person to get tattooed by.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'd be just fine with Kelly or Gian. When Kelly got her reaction to the skull pick and she was just like what these guys don't know about me is I'm a championship portrait tattooer I was like awwwwwwww yea.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 21, 2016

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Invalid Validation posted:

I'd be just fine with Kelly or Gian.

I'm rooting for Gian but would be ok with Kelly.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I'm rooting for the next season to be better and have less gimmicks. :smith:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

They should make Peck and Nunez compete next season. Or at least tattoo along with the competitors. I want to see how they handle the pressure/time constrains

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I honestly don't even remember which team anyone is on, because it has had exactly 0 impact on anything at all. I laughed when one of the judges said "I've been playing optimally all season!" because um unless there's a lot of stuff they didn't bother showing on TV they've done nothing.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

21st Cherry boy posted:

I honestly don't even remember which team anyone is on, because it has had exactly 0 impact on anything at all. I laughed when one of the judges said "I've been playing optimally all season!" because um unless there's a lot of stuff they didn't bother showing on TV they've done nothing.

Every now and then they walk around and say "that looks good" or "hey maybe outline that?"

But :shrug: they did that other seasons too.

I wish they had some real coaching sessions or something.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

TheDon01 posted:

Every now and then they walk around and say "that looks good" or "hey maybe outline that?"

But :shrug: they did that other seasons too.

I wish they had some real coaching sessions or something.

I feel like that would take away from the point of the show though, I mean it's a contest to see who is the best, not meant for people who need to learn (I'm not saying they don't learn poo poo). And it would be hard to do it during the contest logistically with everyone tattooing at the same time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wanna hear from the canvases that get really lovely tattoos to see if it was worth it to them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I've convinced myself that all the canvasses are given extra session time off-camera to finish/fix their tattoos, even though I know this isn't true based on the spinoff show about these fuckups.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

I wanna hear from the canvases that get really lovely tattoos to see if it was worth it to them.

i am the bird posted:

I've convinced myself that all the canvasses are given extra session time off-camera to finish/fix their tattoos, even though I know this isn't true based on the spinoff show about these fuckups.

They've gotta just think that the incentive of being on a huge television show is enough. The tattoo is most likely free, as well, so that's a plus.

What I don't understand is when anybody walks over to one of the artists while they're working and they start to talk drama bullshit directly in front of or even while they're working on a canvas. Like, that throws any of the artists integrity out the window, for me. Complaining about the tattoo you're having to do while literally sitting with the person who wants the tattoo is disrespectful as gently caress.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I feel like that would take away from the point of the show though, I mean it's a contest to see who is the best, not meant for people who need to learn (I'm not saying they don't learn poo poo). And it would be hard to do it during the contest logistically with everyone tattooing at the same time.

Ehhh, it'd be like a MasterChef AU masterclass, and that poo poo is dope. What the hell else is Spike doing with its airtime, anyway?

i am the bird posted:

This is remarkably adorable.

Take your free tat and gtfo

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Man, I've gotta knock Nunez for his team losing. That skull design wasn't cyborg at all and he didn't point that out.

I thought for sure Nikki was going to beat Kelly the way they telegraphed her thinking she was already gone and Kelly wanting to do her own style.

Watching Nikki leave was satisfying, but not as much as it could have been. And I say that because she really did go out on a great tattoo. Honestly, she's lucky to get this far, and wouldn't have if not for the alliance, but while they helped her fill the gaps, she did excel. Nothing Nunez said about her was untrue.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

First off, BOUT FUCKIN TIME.

Secondly, yeah she did go out on a drat good tattoo. I was worried as hell for Kelly there.

What the hell were they thinking with that skull though? Bio mech challenge and they did a weird skull with a craggy canyon border? They didn't look at the stencil and say "hey, what was the theme again?"

Nate still continues to be so incredibly boring.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And annoying. He's been acting like an entitled brat all season long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm wondering if Nikki hadn't hosed up the skull tattoo causing them to scramble to salvage the entire thing whether they would have put in the biomech background as planned.

Still, I'm glad that Nikki's final gently caress up didn't lead to Kelly getting eliminated. If we can get rid of Nate next episode then we'll end up with the finale we wanted all along.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Still, I'm glad that Nikki's final gently caress up didn't lead to Kelly getting eliminated. If we can get rid of Nate next episode then we'll end up with the finale we wanted all along.

:same:

I would have preferred Nate to go home over Nikki on this episode. I was really impressed with Nikki's gypsy. I liked it better than Kelly's, although I agree that Kelly's was a better done tat. I would take the face of Nikki's gypsy with the scarf and jewelry of Kelly's.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

HungryMedusa posted:

I agree Nikki will go home next week and then Beavers. I'm kinda pulling for Kelly to be our first lady Ink Master. Ink Mistress. She is just so chill and nice and seems like a fun person to get tattooed by.

And she's a goon. Maybe one of us can finally do something not cringe worthy.

Also, I liked Nikki. I wish she had been able to stay another week.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Well, there you go. Though I thought Ryan would be in round 3 with Nate based on her weak coloring skills. I think she'll get third overall, and I'm actually leaning toward Kelly to win, based on what they gave each other. But that extra day of tattoo could be the tipping point (unless America gets to vote somebody to the finale, in which case I'm sure both girls will advance regardless of the ink.)

Man, they've got to be coaching the canvases on Redemption to just go in and freak the gently caress out on the artists. Every single one this season has been like that, and it makes the show worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Opened up my IG today and literally the first thing I see spoiled last night's episode for me.

Happy loving Wednesday or whatever.

Edit: but that episode was doooooope

Go Gian
Go Kelly

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 1, 2016

• Locked thread