Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I find the AI handles Sirin better than other casters for two reasons. First is her Arias can't be chain-cast due to the Breath requirements (even if they fill up fast with Dual Vocalization plus the faster Stanzas talent) which combined with her singing itself being probably her main draw means the tendency to ignore spells in favor of auto-attacks half the time isn't nearly as debilitating on her performance as it is on other spell-users. The second is that as mentioned she gets immunity to disengagement attacks, which means unlike all the other characters in your party she WON'T suicide when she decides she needs to run halfway across the room to heal someone. Eb and Lantry could learn something from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hryme posted:

Combat in this game is horribly balanced and sucks rear end. Magic is so overpowered it is not even funny. Story is nice though.

My two hander does a LOAD more damage than magic does. I use my spells for crowd control (and they're really good at that).

The combat in this clicks so much better than PoE, I hope they use the same magic system for PoE2.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm really? My screen just lights up with burning and freezing foes when my two mages unloads their aoes and after after a short wait they are all dead. I guess you can accomplish the same with volcanic weapon enchants though. This is on PoTD.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

You can break the game pretty badly if you are twinking hard enough. If there were a respec option you could easily optimize a melee character later on to extreme boss levels.

Talking about minmaxing, my main enemy right now is recovery time. I thought it associated to cooldown somewhat but it seems independent of all other variables besides equipment, but is there anything else that affects it? Because if you can mess with it, you are pretty much going to own everything up to Kyros ten times in a row without breaking a sweat in a high enough level :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Recovery time is the duration between actions and cooldown is, well, the cooldown on a skill. Best way to deal with recovery time is to wear light armor but then you run the risk of getting gibbed especially if you get knocked down.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PerilPastry posted:

I'm having this problem as well if anyone wants to chime in?

Seems stupid if there's no option other than putting all of the Bronze Brotherhood to the sword considering the chick who's second in command seems completely cool with you and thinks her boss is basically unfit to lead.

You can only get across peacefully if you go indep or rebel, sorry. Welby might seem reasonable, but she's still somewhat faithful to her boss. Besides, you're a Fatebinder who's seen to not only be loyal to Kyros, but as someone who prefers the company of either Roman Nazis or Bronze-Age Warboys.

Eej posted:

Recovery time is the duration between actions and cooldown is, well, the cooldown on a skill. Best way to deal with recovery time is to wear light armor but then you run the risk of getting gibbed especially if you get knocked down.

I can't remember- is spell cooldown independent of weapon cooldown?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

You can only get across peacefully if you go indep or rebel, sorry. Welby might seem reasonable, but she's still somewhat faithful to her boss. Besides, you're a Fatebinder who's seen to not only be loyal to Kyros, but as someone who prefers the company of either Roman Nazis or Bronze-Age Warboys.

Actually, you can bypass the Bronze Brotherhood without fighting if you're allied with the Chorus. It's just another of those weird gating things. I think it's only Disfavored path where you have to fight them.

e: might change if you gave Lethian's Crossing to the Chorus in Conquest? I gave it to the Disfavored.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chorus side pretty much all the Bronze Brotherhood encounters let me talk my way outta it or just help them in the Crossing scenario.

E: I handed the Crossing to the Disfavored in my run.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hah, so it seems the Disfavoured path is the one where you have to kill everyone! :allears: This actually makes it more appealing to me, I have to admit.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm interested in seeing the flow chart for this game's decisions.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Eej posted:

Naah because Leather armor is insanely OP you can tank easily with it. I dunno if Deflection + Parry is better than Armor because all my party used Leather (or Cloth for Eb) but it definitely tanks great. I didn't even know about it being so good for the first act - and to be fair it's not reliable in A1 and early A2 before you pump Finesse and get Exceptional armor - so I didn't try to maximize my characters defensively either, but my Leather-wearing Dual Wielder still had a Parry rating on par or above even most bosses Accuracy, and hit 83% Deflection WITHOUT any buffs by end game. I used no buff-magic that run and still only had trouble with Ashe himself on the physical side, despite no dedicated tank. I imagine someone playing through who knows what buffs are good could make a basically invincible character to physical attacks below PotD (even my character had no trouble face-tanking the Voices or Bleden Mark, I barely even needed to throw heals in) and it should be PotD-viable for soaking hits. Frankly both with Barik and all my PoE playtime I found engagement to be of very little use in protecting others so that's all I need from it. In PoE they tended to just ignore it, and on the flipside, in Tyranny on Hard at least the enemies generally seem to tunnel-vision whoever I first move in with, no engagement needed - my ranged characters rarely got attacked, especially by more than one enemy.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 18, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Hah, so it seems the Disfavoured path is the one where you have to kill everyone! :allears: This actually makes it more appealing to me, I have to admit.

This spoiler relates to Stalwart and the Disfavoured side, don't read it if you haven't done it.

I had to kill a baby. That was a the GOOD option. A dead baby.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

That's a shame. Thanks for the info though!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Taear posted:

This spoiler relates to Stalwart and the Disfavoured side, don't read it if you haven't done it.

I had to kill a baby. That was a the GOOD option. A dead baby.

Well, if your lore is high enough and you pick the right conversation options, you can lawyer your way out of that one, even on the disfavored branch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, if your lore is high enough and you pick the right conversation options, you can lawyer your way out of that one, even on the disfavored branch.

Really? poo poo. Oh well. I wonder if I have a save from before I did it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CommissarMega posted:

I can't remember- is spell cooldown independent of weapon cooldown?

Spell recovery is based on the specific spell you cast, not your weapon's recovery, but is also affected by armor. This is why spells are so much better than ever attacking, especially at high lore when you can throw out volley+bounce spells. With enough spell slots, you can always be casting a spell for the whole fight.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Basic Chunnel posted:

extremely surprising

Go back to posting essays about crpg's on comedy forums

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

So edgy

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

I tell it how it is skelly

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

People moved on from your silly slapfight, drop it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Taear posted:

Yep, the way it works in Stalwart is that the baby hasn't taken the position yet, because it's a baby, so the mother can abdicate any future claim the baby has to the throne. This breaks the line of regents, which satisfies the terms of Kyros' edict, ending it. There's legal precedent for this you can find if you search the Burning Library, but that doesn't help on the Disfavored route since you can't go there first. If you pass a lore check your character knows it anyway.

The moral of the story is: in this game, lore is the god stat and you must increase it as much as possible no matter what your character archetype actually is. (This is kind of a mechanical flaw in the game, in my opinion, albeit one which is at least thematic.)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

How do I get a lore teacher for my spire. Im getting all these levels and no lore skill training, its very sad

Also leveling is definetely really hosed up in this game. In the time it took Eb to gain two levels while in the party, Lantry gained 4 levels while outside the party. Also why the hell does Lantry get so many more lore skill gains than anyone else

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

That's pretty consistent with what you learn about both factions before you make the choice, even starting with Conquest. With one exception that I can think of, the Scarlet Chorus usually wants to take people alive and their choices involving Edicts usually involve delaying them, while the Disfavored kill everyone, execute people, all that stuff. I think the one exception is that it's the Disfavored choice that leads to you negotiating a surrender in Apex.

Of course, whenever the Chorus captures someone, they tend to either torture them into madness or conscript them through a horrifying initiation rite, but hey :v:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Taear posted:

If you delay and say you'll try to find an alternative you can also go to Tunon's Court and one of the Fatebinders there will tell you how you can bypass it.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Killsion posted:

If you delay and say you'll try to find an alternative you can also go to Tunon's Court and one of the Fatebinders there will tell you how you can bypass it.

"Yo girl I just killed ur regent dude but I gotta spend 5 days traveling to see if I should kill ur baby too so just sit tight!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

babypolis posted:

How do I get a lore teacher for my spire. Im getting all these levels and no lore skill training, its very sad

Also leveling is definetely really hosed up in this game. In the time it took Eb to gain two levels while in the party, Lantry gained 4 levels while outside the party. Also why the hell does Lantry get so many more lore skill gains than anyone else

Click the spire button in the top panel, choose a recruit who trains lore?

The xp system is kinda funny -- it tracks total xp and distributes that roughly equally among skills for inactive party members (It also does this with quest xp.) But since low level skills increase faster than high level skills, your less used party members will catch up in the skills that matter fairly quickly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I only have two spires (Standard & Forge) and no recruits teach lore on them. I assume the library or Infirmary is the place to go for lore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I only have two spires (Standard & Forge) and no recruits teach lore on them. I assume the library or Infirmary is the place to go for lore.

You'd expect it to be the library for Lore, but I'm pretty sure it's the infirmary, weirdly enough.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Next playthrough I promise I will use the trainer system each level to stack lore.

Harrow posted:

You'd expect it to be the library for Lore, but I'm pretty sure it's the infirmary, weirdly enough.

Can you see what recruits you get before building a spire?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Library has a lore trainer, but (depending on conquest choices?) the infirmary can have a better one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Library has a lore trainer, but (depending on conquest choices?) the infirmary can have a better one.

Oh yeah, that's right. Library has a lore trainer, but infirmary gets the master lore trainer. I've heard conflicting things about whether the master lore trainer depends on Conquest or not.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wiegieman posted:

The xp system is kinda funny -- it tracks total xp and distributes that roughly equally among skills for inactive party members (It also does this with quest xp.) But since low level skills increase faster than high level skills, your less used party members will catch up in the skills that matter fairly quickly.

There is something else going on though. Lantry and Eb were at the same level when they were both in my party, Lantry leaves my party and when he rejoins a while later he has 2 levels on Eb

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

babypolis posted:

There is something else going on though. Lantry and Eb were at the same level when they were both in my party, Lantry leaves my party and when he rejoins a while later he has 2 levels on Eb

She got more skill increases, while Lantry's xp was focused on his magic skills, stuff that was already high and increased fewer times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah a problem lots of games like this run into is that the pc outlevels the cnpc by quite a bit, but in this game my guy is consistently the same level or as much as two lower than my companions.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Infirmary master lore trainer isn't a conquest option. It's always available. Infirmary is my first spire upgrade choice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Besides the trainer, what does the infirmary do?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Let's you make potions and poisons, so pretty useless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The library trainer can at least train me 75 times so I think I can hold out for more spires before i get the infirmary if that's the case.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Potions are my main healing source, healing 52% instantly is pretty good so I stuff offensive spells on my mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

I kept Lantry in my party basically the whole game and he ended up five levels lower than me.

So tower gets XP faster but party gets skill gains. Doesn't work GREAT.

• Locked thread