Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh no there's been a security breach, the keys have been compromised

could this be the work of "that man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just don't really see why i should be polite and subservient when assholes are dogpiling me.

I do agree with this though. It's better to explain things politely then be assholish about it, but you should listen to what they are saying too. Maybe they have a point?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Julias posted:

Let me put it another way: If the show was about straight characters in a straight relationship, would you have even brought up "I hope they don't die"? Especially given how the show has progressed so far?

That'd be like saying: "I hope Elizabeth and Mr Darcy don't die."

that's fair. however, i did start out politely explaining things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So, how's Occultic;Nine? Did it ever get any better than the first episode seemed to suggest? I hear it got super weird and interesting, but I'm also not sure if I want to sit through Chaos;Head-esque levels of the main character being rude and hermit-esque.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

FACE THE FUJO

What's this? My brain is too mushy today to dredge up that information, assuming i ever knew.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StrixNebulosa posted:

So, how's Occultic;Nine? Did it ever get any better than the first episode seemed to suggest? I hear it got super weird and interesting, but I'm also not sure if I want to sit through Chaos;Head-esque levels of the main character being rude and hermit-esque.

one of the episodes had a really good director apparently

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
O;9 isn't a horror show is it? I heard on twitter that there was some good horror director working on part of it or something but didn't really pay attention to what the show actually is

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

What's this? My brain is too mushy today to dredge up that information, assuming i ever knew.

Stella no Mahou

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

a kitten posted:

magic of stella

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Knorth posted:

O;9 isn't a horror show is it? I heard on twitter that there was some good horror director working on part of it or something but didn't really pay attention to what the show actually is

Based on spoilers, I think it definitely has sone horror aspects.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not sure anybody was being an rear end in a top hat

StrixNebulosa posted:

i see people elsewhere selling it way harder than i could, but it has definitely been better with the first episode out of the way. there's a definite focus around Yuta and his crew, with short blinks to other characters as they tie into the story. last week's ep also dropped a huge twist that has me really interested for where it goes. apparently this stuff was foreshadowed subtly across a few episodes even, which is cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

I wouldn't really say 'horror,' but it's an occult mystery show with some scenes that play out sort of like horror

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hmm, well I might check it out sometime

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, thank you all! I'm catching up on Yuri on Ice (on ep 6 and this show is really good) so I'll watch O;9 afterwards and give it the ol' three ep test.

I have to admit that the TV-budget animation really hurts Yuri on Ice as the skating gets sloppier and sloppier. I know they're saving it for the most important skates, but yi-ikes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

its not the size of the budget in the anime that matters, but the size of the anime in the budget

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fujoshi in magic of stella is trapped in a neverending battle between wanting to kiss her friend and not wanting other people to kiss her friend, but also wanting to fantasize her friend as a hot bl protagonist who spends lots of time with her friends, who she also fantasizes as hot boys

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm going to watch it.

Between Kiss Him, Not Me and that the fujo power seems to be strong this season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the fujoshi in magic of stella is trapped in a neverending battle between wanting to kiss her friend and not wanting other people to kiss her friend, but also wanting to fantasize her friend as a hot bl protagonist who spends lots of time with her friends, who she also fantasizes as hot boys

I'm probably gonna pick it up. Is there much fanservice in it? Might watch on my train ride if not.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

its not the size of the budget in the anime that matters, but the size of the anime in the budget

Nothing's gonna match Utena's crazy use of a shoe-string budget for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm probably gonna pick it up. Is there much fanservice in it? Might watch on my train ride if not.

about as much as yuru yuri, and that's talking for like two episodes and with an older cast to boot. outside of maybe a few moments it's extremely goofy high school game dev fun starring teenagers with horrible self-confidence issues. if you have ever drawn something and then looked at it and screamed "oh my god i'm loving awful at drawing" it is a show that will connect with you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/jxfree.mp4

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have to admit that the TV-budget animation really hurts Yuri on Ice as the skating gets sloppier and sloppier. I know they're saving it for the most important skates, but yi-ikes.

It sucks but I'm looking forward to checking out the JP blurays.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

dogsicle posted:

last week's ep also dropped a huge twist that has me really interested for where it goes. apparently this stuff was foreshadowed subtly across a few episodes even, which is cool.
Yeah, I was watching this at first because of the people behind it and it wasn't until the 4th episode that the show started clicking with me. I went back and rewatched all the episodes and this show is more enjoyable when you know how some of the puzzle pieces fit together. There is a surprising amount of clever foreshadow and if you pay close attention, nothing is straight out of left field.

As for Yuri on Ice, I just hope that Yuri doesn't get fat and Victor doesn't go bald.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

O;9: I sat down and watched the first episode and I'm watching the second now, and when you approach it with an attitude of "none of this will make sense but let's go with it" - it was actually pretty compelling? I really enjoyed the hyper-fast pacing and how frantic everything was. The second one's continuing this, a little bit, and I'm far more intrigued than I thought I would be by this show.

But then again, I basically bailed on the show's first ep when it first aired because it opens with "I'm a NEET and a virgin but I'm not creepy", which instantly brought back bad memories of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate and how much I disliked the protagonists of those shows. The guy so far in this one seems to be less....creepy so far even if he is repulsive, and the mystery is more upfront so I'm more interested right off the bat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Everyone in Magic of Stella is good.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is there much fanservice in it?

Zero.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Allarion posted:

All threads are secretly chat threads.

Winter Season 2017: The 'secret' chat thread

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Magic of Stella is very good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what are these shows where the gays die

evangelion doesnt count

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
In a fairer world Strawberry Panic would have ended with the white haired girl dying and the roommate winning.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

O;9: I sat down and watched the first episode and I'm watching the second now, and when you approach it with an attitude of "none of this will make sense but let's go with it" - it was actually pretty compelling? I really enjoyed the hyper-fast pacing and how frantic everything was. The second one's continuing this, a little bit, and I'm far more intrigued than I thought I would be by this show.

But then again, I basically bailed on the show's first ep when it first aired because it opens with "I'm a NEET and a virgin but I'm not creepy", which instantly brought back bad memories of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate and how much I disliked the protagonists of those shows. The guy so far in this one seems to be less....creepy so far even if he is repulsive, and the mystery is more upfront so I'm more interested right off the bat.

oh man yeah, yuta came off super obnoxious to me at first. i'm not sure when or what changed, but he's definitely been better as the show goes on, same for ryo-tas to a lesser degree.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Relin posted:

evangelion doesnt count

The gay lives in that one too haha

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

huh
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/799995425264521216

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Relin posted:

evangelion doesnt count

I do feel like I've seen that trope in an anime before, but I can't for the life of me remember where...

Does that girl from Code Geass die? The one who fell in love with Euphie and Table-kun?

Edit: Oh yeah, I know the gays die in Mai-Hime. But I'm pretty sure everyone dies in that show and then gets better at the end.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 19, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Miss Nomer posted:

Yeah, I was watching this at first because of the people behind it and it wasn't until the 4th episode that the show started clicking with me. I went back and rewatched all the episodes and this show is more enjoyable when you know how some of the puzzle pieces fit together. There is a surprising amount of clever foreshadow and if you pay close attention, nothing is straight out of left field.

As for Yuri on Ice, I just hope that Yuri doesn't get fat and Victor doesn't go bald.

Show clicked for me in, I think, episode 3 with that conversation between the kid detective and the BL author. Just really stylish.

If anything, the recent plot reveal makes me less interested, because It's a bit of a cliche, really.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I do feel like I've seen that trope in an anime before, but I can't for the life of me remember where...

Does that girl from Code Geass die? The one who fell in love with Euphie and Table-kun?

Edit: Oh yeah, I know the gays die in Mai-Hime. But I'm pretty sure everyone dies in that show and then gets better at the end.

Code Geass spoilers: Nina survives.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Relin posted:

evangelion doesnt count

got you fam

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuryYourGays

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

Also known as Dead Lesbian Syndrome

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
luckily, nina lives and creates wmds that kill tens of millions of people, and her table

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

you aren't allowed to say got you fam and then link to tvtropes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its illegal and im putting you under arrest.

• Locked thread