Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
hockey fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

We can do a team fee too, but it's priced at the same price as 17 people paying individually. So, it doesn't make sense to pay as a team.

It makes every sense to pay as a team so you can actually play hockey and not sweaty dressup.

We pay more than individual fee to keep our team roster reasonable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

hockey fuckin rules

Agreed. My terrible Silver A team (only my second season playing up here) won a game last night. We were even down and came back to score 2 in the third to win.

8 games in and we have double the points we had last season already! Yay for not being last place!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Nothing better than having 10 guys show up for the first time all season and see the other team only have 2 on the bench and we're feeling pretty confident only to have the goalie give up the first 4 shots of the game. Halfway through the first period, 4-0. We eventually made it 5-3 and the goalie decided to bookend it I guess by letting the last 3 shots of the game in for a sweet 8-4 loss. I know I can't put all the blame on the goalie but at least 2 of those goals weren't even hard enough to hit the back of the net. He was squared up to them too but just basically stayed in shooter tutor stance and let the guys shoot for the corners or 5-hole. I would say 2 of the 8 were like, oh poo poo we really hosed up on that one, our bad. The others were just straight shots right passed him. I don't think they got 1 rebound goal. The only thing I can take away is that he at least knows a lot of them were on him because if he feels we're loving him over he'll tell us what we need to do in the defensive zone to help him out and he didn't say poo poo in between periods.

Sorry for the rant but our team sucks and it seems like every time the scales tip in our favor before the puck drops is the day that the goalie is like way, way, way off his game. I know the real answer is get better so he doesn't have to face any shots but when you're doing all you can to defend and all the other team can manage is to get a 20mph chip shot off and it goes right in, it is really demoralizing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you're bringing a play-to-win attitude to weekday rec league low level hockey you're gonna have a poo poo time like half the time at least. More so if you have an unreliable goalie. Aim to play your hardest/best rather than to win and you'll have a better time. That's my experience as someone who can be a huge sore loser anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just salty every time I spend a shift getting open, calling for a pass and watching my guys pass to the other team again... and again... and again oh wait! Nope given it to the other guys again...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's ok you do it too I'm sure

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

prom candy posted:

If you're bringing a play-to-win attitude to weekday rec league low level hockey you're gonna have a poo poo time like half the time at least. More so if you have an unreliable goalie. Aim to play your hardest/best rather than to win and you'll have a better time. That's my experience as someone who can be a huge sore loser anyway.

I bring a play to play well attitude and most of the time I don't really care that much win or lose so long as I manage to play well myself. But sometimes it just seems like the stars align and the team is poised for a win and it all goes out the window in 10 minutes. I've been playing long enough, and long enough with this team, not to expect to win every time out. We're currently 0-7 or however many games we've played I don't really keep track. It just gets frustrating to lose 'em all sometimes.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah it's true loss after loss will get you down even if you're playing well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played with my sub team last night, nearly scored on a breakaway when I put it five hole but it only slid halfway over the goal line :effort: and the goalie swiped it away before my line mate could get to it.

I also nearly got a perfect backdoor cross crease deflection but I put it a foot wide.

Towards the third period my line mate had a breakway and I trailed looking for the rebound. It bounced out and I had the shittiest angle but managed to put it over the sprawling goalie to a post-and-in goal. I don't remember the last time I scored so it felt really good.

The other team had a defenseman who was easily 2 leagues above this skill level. His slowest speed was still twice as fast as the best player on the ice. It was clear they put him back on D to keep from scoring 5 goals. He still managed to score 3, 2 of which were skate across the blue line and clap one of the hardest lazer beam slapshots I've ever seen in beer league. Our goalie claimed he couldn't even see the puck coming and had zero people screening him.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

prom candy posted:

I can see where you're coming from but my team all plays to win and we all have a great time. Losses are bullshit and we'll stand around and bitch about it over parking lot beer but if we win we're doing the same thing while we pat each other on the back. If you're one of the only tryhards on a roster though, that sucks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Got a hatty last game against the biggest douche team in the league that we've had poo poo with for the last 4 years or so. They always start poo poo and complain about how dirty we are.

2 minutes left in the game I skate the puck in, take it behind their net and one of their guys tries to run me as I turn the corner and I just loving exploded him, he fell into the net and onto their goalie, and laughed as he got dragged to the penalty box for body checking.

I love when refs pay attention.

Note the PIMs (We are the Killa Bees, they are the Dragon Slayers)

This season:

Last season:

D C fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 18, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Hitmen are living up to their name this year.

Your whole division is extremely poo poo with penalties, though.

Our whole league is only 5 or 6 games in and out of a some random teams I checked in various divisions, the team with the most PIMs has 20 on the year.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 18, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That whole league has a lot of penalties. Is it a thunderdrome or are the refs just super strict?

The league I'm in this fall is the first one I've been in to actually report PIM, and 9 games into the season the highest is 57 minutes, the average is 26.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

delpheye posted:

I can see where you're coming from but my team all plays to win and we all have a great time. Losses are bullshit and we'll stand around and bitch about it over parking lot beer but if we win we're doing the same thing while we pat each other on the back. If you're one of the only tryhards on a roster though, that sucks.

Yeah, I dunno, it might be a personality thing. I'm really competitive and playing to win almost anything sucks the fun out of it for me, especially team sports/games. I really like and want to win, but I have to consciously reframe success in my mind or else I get pissy over poo poo I can't control. If you're not a big sore loser baby like me it's probably not something you have to worry about.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It's not thunderdome, I think a lot of it is tripping and hooking and that sort of stuff. It's sort of a cross over division, some really fantastic players, some middling players and some tag along bad players, I think the skill disparity leads to a lot of desperation penalties.

Teams play hard, but I think the Dragon Slayers are the only "dirty" team. Bunch of late 20's early 30s guys who still think they can make the show, beer league is their life kinda stuff.

Heres the league page. Seems pretty even throughout the divs?

http://coasthockey.com/standings.aspx?LeagueID=1&SeasonID=101

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
god drat hockey owns. I'm on a two game scoring streak and I FEEL ALIVE

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
wife just started labor, game at 6 tonite. this is gonna be a tight timeline

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

Pregnant women like ice chips, right? Wheel her on down to the rink... unlimited free ice chips!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

bewbies posted:

You're probably going to miss it. I made it to a championship game a day after my kid was born but that was only because everything was mostly settled down then, and I couldn't find a sub for me.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The refs in my league act like blowing the whistle will activate their shock collar and avoid it like the plague. Every clear icing is called a deflection, and when the goalie gloves the puck, the ref will instantly start yelling to get rid of it no matter how many people from the other team are around him. I guess that's what I get from playing in a glorified drop in league, and at least it keeps us skating.

I signed up through Stinky Socks to play a game on the outdoor rink at Fenway Park this January, which is wicked exciting and I can't wait to have my parents come watch the lowest tier of hockey at the coolest rink I'll probably ever get the chance to play in (both in terms of radness and weather since it's a night game in January.)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bewbies posted:

Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll have one of those 72 hour labours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the game at? My wife's a labor nurse, fit me in as a sub and she'll help out in the bleachers.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Play your last game, because you won't for another 4 months.

Or don't play your game, because you won't for another 4 months but maybe you'll get one free pass a month.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just played an 11pm game that was delayed 30 minutes due to shitbaggery in the previous games.

Got the first goal of the game (garbage backdoor rebound cleanup) and the team played really well. We won 3-0 with 44 shots to something like 15.

I could have easily had 3 goals that game, one breakaway was abysmal as I put it 3 feet wide of the net. Zero clue how it went that far wide.

It's 1:20, I'm in line at taco bell because I'm loving starving and I've got zero food at home ... loving late games.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

I signed up through Stinky Socks to play a game on the outdoor rink at Fenway Park this January, which is wicked exciting and I can't wait to have my parents come watch the lowest tier of hockey at the coolest rink I'll probably ever get the chance to play in (both in terms of radness and weather since it's a night game in January.)

Every time I get the chance to do something like this I feel like the biggest badass ever for at least a week leading up to and after. Is there a better feeling as a hockey player to skate on ice way above your weight class?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verman posted:

Just played an 11pm game that was delayed 30 minutes due to shitbaggery in the previous games.

Got the first goal of the game (garbage backdoor rebound cleanup) and the team played really well. We won 3-0 with 44 shots to something like 15.

I could have easily had 3 goals that game, one breakaway was abysmal as I put it 3 feet wide of the net. Zero clue how it went that far wide.

It's 1:20, I'm in line at taco bell because I'm loving starving and I've got zero food at home ... loving late games.

Where are you playing that they count shots?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Every adult league I've played in attempted to count shots.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Made a beautiful, hard, tape-to-tape pass right to our center and we went on to score a few seconds later. :smug:

The pass was 95% pure accident - I was mostly trying a hard clear and he caught it perfectly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

One of our players kicked himself out of the game last night.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

One of our players kicked himself out of the game last night.

That's usually a good way to get written off the roster and told to kick rocks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

Where are you playing that they count shots?

I think most USA Hockey affiliated leagues count shots if I'm not mistaken. I don't think for one second that they're accurate but its a ballpark figure.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's awesome, none of the (two) leagues I've ever played in count shots.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There's like one scorekeeper at my rink that bothers to count shots.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

That's usually a good way to get written off the roster and told to kick rocks.

Really? It's far better than the official kicking someone out.

I'd take a hothead who realizes he needs to get off the ice over someone who can't control themselves any day.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

prom candy posted:

That's awesome, none of the (two) leagues I've ever played in count shots.

In leagues that count shots they look up from their phone occasionally and assign a bunch of shots to both teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My league doesn't even provide a column for shots, they decided to not pretend to track it I guess.

As I was leaving the ice last night one of the refs specifically came over to me and said he gave me an assist, which is cool and all, but I seriously couldn't remember when I was on the ice for a goal. Maybe there was one shift where I chipped it off the boards and a linemate took it all the way down while I headed for the bench, but I can't remember if he scored on that shift.

Also I somehow have two goals even though I know for a fact I have only scored once.. so I'll just keep quiet about that one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Our rink does shot counting in hopes that the scorekeeper will have eyes on the ice in case of any incidents.

They're pretty rare but probably a good policy to have

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
None of the three leagues I currently play in uses score keepers (despite two of them promising they're going to for the last year or so). The refs operate the scoreboard, and you're lucky if the penalty clock actually gets set for penalties.

The one rink I the area that does use a score keeper doesn't track shots. All the scoring info is relayed to the score keeper from the ref and is frequently wrong. Sometimes the score keeper is cool and will play music between the whistles for late games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Yeah I was sailing everything wrist and slap shot related in warm ups and in game 3 feet wide right last night for some reason. It sucked. Snap shots were fine but playing stay at home D (cause my D partner is sssssssllllllloooooooooooow) kind of takes those off the table. I need to get back to practicing. :smith:

Also Hockey Monkey lowered their free shipping threshold and has %35 off (some) sticks for black friday week or whatever right now.