Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Are backpack-style bags worthwhile or are they junk? This one, more specifically. It's like $30 with the Hockey Monkey black friday coupon. I know they're probably better suited for roller but I typically stuff my shin guards inside my pants anyway and pack light, so maybe it would fit?

My current bag is a super large generic duffle from a military surplus store and it's a total piece of poo poo.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Teeter posted:

Are backpack-style bags worthwhile or are they junk? This one, more specifically. It's like $30 with the Hockey Monkey black friday coupon.

My current bag is a generic duffle from a military surplus store and it's a total piece of poo poo.

Your edit answered my first question :). I have an Alkali backpack that I bought to replace a Bauer rolling duffel type 2 years ago and haven't regretted it at all. However, I play basically 95% roller and when I do get a chance to play ice I don't have shoulders to fit in the bag. So if you're trying to fit a full ice setup inside of that bag it might be a little tight. A guy I play with has one of the Easton bags and has it for about 2 years as well. I'm fairly confident if I was smart about how I packed my bag I could fit a full ice setup inside of it though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Play your last game, because you won't for another 4 months.

Or don't play your game, because you won't for another 4 months but maybe you'll get one free pass a month.

I took maybe two weeks off and then things had settled down enough.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

I took maybe two weeks off and then things had settled down enough.

And now you're taking another two weeks off because pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft family or turkey or some poo poo I'M STARTING TO DOUBT YOUR COMMITMENT TO FACEPLANTS HOCKEY

:v:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Teeter posted:

Are backpack-style bags worthwhile or are they junk? This one, more specifically. It's like $30 with the Hockey Monkey black friday coupon. I know they're probably better suited for roller but I typically stuff my shin guards inside my pants anyway and pack light, so maybe it would fit?

One of the oldest dudes on my team (70) has one so I can only conclude they are very comfortable.

Tonight I got a dude to punch me (twice) and now feel vaguely bad that he will be suspended. I guess I'd be mad if he got away with it but I'm just trying to draw a penalty here, not make anyone miss hockey :saddowns:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

And now you're taking another two weeks off because pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft family or turkey or some poo poo I'M STARTING TO DOUBT YOUR COMMITMENT TO FACEPLANTS HOCKEY

:v:

Sorry, would you rather I say my back is sore from carrying you guys? :haw:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Teeter posted:

My current bag is a super large generic duffle from a military surplus store and it's a total piece of poo poo.

A lot of guys in my league have them, but we're in the city so it's more walking/subway versus throwing your bag in the trunk. I have a roller that I got for free and it's worked OK but it's definitely starting to get worn down and I'm thinking my next bag will be one of the backpack ones even if they look really stupid.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Teeter posted:

I have a Tron backpack bag that's styled after one of Bauer's. I really like it. Everything should fit, but you can't just throw it all in there.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Backpack bags don't seem like a great cat bed at all so I'm not sure why you'd get one

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

I signed up through Stinky Socks to play a game on the outdoor rink at Fenway Park this January, which is wicked exciting and I can't wait to have my parents come watch the lowest tier of hockey at the coolest rink I'll probably ever get the chance to play in (both in terms of radness and weather since it's a night game in January.)

I tried to get into this today when my slot came up, but it was sold out. My buddy Nick is one of the goalies in your game, I hope you guys have a good time

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Sorry, would you rather I say my back is sore from carrying you guys? :haw:

Zing.

yeah so what it if it's true

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Made a sick no-look pass to a guy tonight and he rung it right in. Too bad he was on the other team.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone in the NHL NV thread thought I might have better luck with my query here:

quote:

Was wondering if anyone has one of these or knows another one they can recommend for hanging sticks on the wall in a cross. I've seen the Happy Sticks ones, but this looks a bit sturdier as it just uses a single central mount.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201959205/crossed-hockey-sticks-wall-mount-display

These are old game sticks rather than ones I'd be using, so just for decoration.

lil critter
May 28, 2013

Teeter posted:

I've been using the Easton one for a year, and I haul it through the subway all the time, and it's not let me down yet. The mesh on the skate pockets on the sides is the only thing beginning to wear. I converted a friend to it from her cumbersome roller bag and she likes it OK.

I'm in Massachusetts visiting my family right now and wanna hit up a public skate tomorrow so I don't feel like a total piece of crap this weekend. My skates are badly in need of a sharpening, though. What's the best skate sharpening in the Metrowest area (like around Framingham-Natick or Needham or something--I'm probably going to go skating in Natick so around there is the best bet), anyone know? Also while I'm at it, best hockey store in Eastern MA these days?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How long does it take to get the muscle memory to stop putting your hand in front of flying pucks like a big dumb idiot, because loving ouch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xzzy posted:

How long does it take to get the muscle memory to stop putting your hand in front of flying pucks like a big dumb idiot, because loving ouch.

You'll never stop doing this.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Catch a hard one open handed and you'll probably stop.

If anything let it hit the padded back side of your glove, or make a fist and punch it.

If I'm blocking a shot and have time, I put my head down and bring my open hand to protect my neck. Use all the padding you're wearing to your advantage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Time is the problem. By the time the thought process of "hey this is stupid I should not do this and/or turn the back of my glove towards the puck or just be anywhere else on the ice" goes through my brain the puck has already hit me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You have to get your brain to associate "puck flying near me" as scary.

If you're used to pucks flying near you its going to be pretty hard to do

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got a fishbowl as a gift this week and used it for the first time tonight, pretty great! I never played hockey without a cage so I never "saw" it the way some people do but I definitely liked the unobstructed vision of the bowl. Next step is to get contact lenses so I can really see what's going on.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Catch a hard one open handed and you'll probably stop.

Until you forget how much it can sting and you stupidly do it again. The picture below is from about a year ago from catching a long distance saucer pass. How much damage could a pass do, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of the guys that plays in my league swears by using DMSO on bruises. Which is funny because 1) he's a big hippy about everything and 2) if you have anything on your skin the DMSO will bring it across your skin into your body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would anyone care about a bruise? They don't cause pain and naturally clear up on their own. It's the injury that caused the bruise that hurts and no salve is gonna fix that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bruises are cool and fun to show off to your significant other.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
He swears it helps with the pain as well. Who knows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's zero evidence backing that claim so any relief he feels is a placebo.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Oh I know, I work with the poo poo almost daily. Just find it funny this environmentalist loves the stuff.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
The pain. Of a bruise.

Dear dude who isn't reading this thread: it's just a bruise sheesh

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

I'll let you know if it ever happens. 23 years and I still do it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Is it okay if I post that I have a pair of (brand new, really good) skates for sale here? Because I'm trying to offload them and eBay isn't biting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yes. What kind? Mine kinda are beat the hell up.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes. What kind? Mine kinda are beat the hell up.

Supreme 1S, size 10.5. PM me if you're interested or know anyone that is.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bummer. I'm like a 7-8 or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

snag this instead HZ: https://www.verbero.com/collections/protective/products/verbero-visor

also why are you getting rid of 1s skates? i just got a pair.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I recently got a dislocated rib from a line mate and I running into each other in a pick-up. His shoulder got me right in the rib under the armpit and knocked me on my rear end. Looks like I am out 4-6 weeks at least. Upside is that my seasons just ended with all my teams, but I will most likely miss the start of the next.

Kinda bummed because I just started playing goalie recently and was just starting to get comfortable in the net.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

who was it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also any of you chucklefucks tried the superfeet carbon pro or whatever?

I have properly fitting skates now so might have room for something that isn't a generous piece of paper as a footbed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have whatever the more expensive yellow super feet is and I like it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had a game with my sub team last night. 5 minutes into the first period, the team we were playing was crazy fast and it was clear that we were going to be playing catch up the whole game.

We eventually put a goal in somewhat early which felt good. The other team had a ringer who was insanely good, fast and had incredible hands. We did a good job of shutting him down as he was one of the only threats.

We were ahead 3-1 going into the third period with a penalty to kill. I pressured the defenseman at the point and got the puck loose for a breakaway. I had a good lead out and enough time to make a move. As a left handed shot I skated at the goalie and skated right and faked right to my backhand which made the goalie bite, then I chipped it back left over his pad. It felt good to get one as I probably had 6 good shots that game and could have had another goal or two.

Things got really dirty after that. One of their guys skated full steam at our defenseman who stopped a puck on the boards. Instead of going for the puck, he went high and completely bowled our guy over. The ref called it immediately.

After that, the ringer was playing really physical. He slashed one of our guys, took him down with a hook and while our guy was down (and fell on ringers stick) the ringer jumped on our guy and started punching him in the face. He got the boot as it was only a minute until the end of the game.

My favorite part? It was a 9pm game so I was home by 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

9p is a good start time?