Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I just (well, yesterday) got access Void Maps and am I supposed to just farm a shitload in order to be able to beat them?

EDIT: Also I got enough bones to buy my first exotic imp and I chose Whipimp and :stare:

EDIT: I guess if I read the last page more clearly I would have gotten my answer before posting, huh

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Devor posted:

Endless Frontier

Hey, so if anyone is playing this, you need to do the PVP and use your purple Honor Coins to buy units.

I got the Steam Punk (the human unit which is like a guy riding a steam-powered mech) and it loving obliterates everything that isn't simply immune, its skills let it completely outclass even all my other 5-star units.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Hey, so if anyone is playing this, you need to do the PVP and use your purple Honor Coins to buy units.

I got the Steam Punk (the human unit which is like a guy riding a steam-powered mech) and it loving obliterates everything that isn't simply immune, its skills let it completely outclass even all my other 5-star units.

I was a little bit bummed to find out that the optimal PVE build is literally two units - one for magic attack, one for physical attack, and requiring ranged attack for both. This is because of the way that leveling up units works - there's exponential increases in power of the unit, not just in cost. So your enhancement level 100 guy is MUCH more powerful than your enhancement 90 guy, and you don't want to spread your gold around to a bunch of different units.

Was fun for a bit, but the fact that strategy is so limited is a bummer.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Devor posted:

I was a little bit bummed to find out that the optimal PVE build is literally two units - one for magic attack, one for physical attack, and requiring ranged attack for both. This is because of the way that leveling up units works - there's exponential increases in power of the unit, not just in cost. So your enhancement level 100 guy is MUCH more powerful than your enhancement 90 guy, and you don't want to spread your gold around to a bunch of different units.

Was fun for a bit, but the fact that strategy is so limited is a bummer.

I've been playing this game and I feel like I'm advancing way faster than I would normally be because every day or two since I started (around a week now?) there's another free 5* unit voucher and 1000 crystals or honor coins or both.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Ignoranus posted:

I've been playing this game and I feel like I'm advancing way faster than I would normally be because every day or two since I started (around a week now?) there's another free 5* unit voucher and 1000 crystals or honor coins or both.

It seems like a pretty blah game, a mash up of the idle and gacha genres that misses the mark on why either are fun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've unlocked the final tier of mastery in Trimps 3.811. I don't have enough to buy anything in it yet, but I'm wondering which of these three I should go for first: Headstart 3, King of Bones 2, Blacksmithery. I'm not sure which will most increase my helium acquisition rate. Any ideas?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TTBF posted:

I've unlocked the final tier of mastery in Trimps 3.811. I don't have enough to buy anything in it yet, but I'm wondering which of these three I should go for first: Headstart 3, King of Bones 2, Blacksmithery. I'm not sure which will most increase my helium acquisition rate. Any ideas?

I'd update to 4.0, Metalic coat and double build sound really nice. I assume you have hyperspeed since you left it off the list, and hyperspeed is the entire reason to even do masteries.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Krunge posted:

Would anyone like to wax philosophical on what makes a good and fun idle game, as opposed to a tedious or "I feel the pointlessness" one?

Nothing's hit the spot, personally, and I've tried a few and fell out of love. The issue here is you're competing with things like Age of Empires, Simcity, Master of Orion, Dungeon Keeper, Civilisation, the Settlers games, and other such things, which not only have graphics, but get you engaged and keep you engaged. Mere 'numbers' isn't enough, and wait time isn't the greatest means to keep you interested. Hell, you can also think of Disgaea if you cut out the battle aspect.

You've got to have some kind of 'other'. Most don't. I can understand not having the pretty, of course. Most of these are one-man shows. Most of these games could cut their numbers right down and it'd still be the same in the end.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 22, 2016

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

pixaal posted:

I'd update to 4.0, Metalic coat and double build sound really nice. I assume you have hyperspeed since you left it off the list, and hyperspeed is the entire reason to even do masteries.

I didn't know 4.0 was out yet. I did not have Hyperspeed as I didn't realize its importance, but also didn't have enough mastery to afford anything of that tier. 4.0 let me get one mastery on that tier list with the essence I had, so I went for Hyperspeed. Metallic coat looks really nice and unless someone offers a good reason otherwise it's what I'll probably get next. Wish I had it for my Thick Skinned run.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bloodly posted:

Nothing's hit the spot, personally, and I've tried a few and fell out of love. The issue here is you're competing with things like Age of Empires, Simcity, Master of Orion, Dungeon Keeper, Civilisation, the Settlers games, and other such things, which not only have graphics, but get you engaged and keep you engaged. Mere 'numbers' isn't enough, and wait time isn't the greatest means to keep you interested. Hell, you can also think of Disgaea if you cut out the battle aspect.

You've got to have some kind of 'other'. Most don't. I can understand not having the pretty, of course. Most of these are one-man shows. Most of these games could cut their numbers right down and it'd still be the same in the end.

The games you've mentioned require a lot of effort and commitment to make progress, though. Part of the idle game appeal for me is being way lighter on commitment than most games (at least, when they don't just force commitment through clicks, that's just lovely commitment). You can't put a Civilization game down for a month and expect to remember the strategies to succeed at a high level but the worst that will happen with an idle game is that your income went up linearly instead of however fast it could have been. That may sound alien as all hell ("you like the genre for its shallowness???") but I have lots of non-idle games I can play if I'm up for a normal commitment and when I load up an idle game I don't feel like playing any of them right that second.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is there a best order to unlock masteries, or does it not really matter that much until the lowest tier?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There are ones that will impact your run as soon as you pick it up (Foremany is a notable tier 2 one) but for the most part they're more streamlining upgrades than game changers until the last two tiers. And until you've speedrun Spire entirely, I wouldn't pick up the ones that start Corruption earlier; you're going to be running the Corrupt challenge anyway!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

There are ones that will impact your run as soon as you pick it up (Foremany is a notable tier 2 one) but for the most part they're more streamlining upgrades than game changers until the last two tiers. And until you've speedrun Spire entirely, I wouldn't pick up the ones that start Corruption earlier; you're going to be running the Corrupt challenge anyway!

Admittedly, the corruption mastery, the corruption challenge, and natural corruption all stack and offer extra helium as a result.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So what exactly are the "tiers", is that like going from Super to Mega? If so, I guess I just hit T2, but if not, boy am I lost.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No, tiers are for mastery, which is a 181+ currency that gives some nice QoL/boosters that aren't strictly game-changers

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Okay. I admit I'm mostly lost where I am because I left poo poo alone while at work yesterday and went from my last run being "zone 40" to "what the gently caress an error message is asking me if I'm scared and there are 5 new mechanics what the poo poo happened while I was on shift"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, breaking the planet at first can be super intimidating, it took me a while to gather up enough helium to get there :v:

You do get a nice helium bump from killing that first Improbability though.

I dunno if you have any stray unlock-a-thing challenges from 1-60, you should get those out of the way first.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

"So you took the day off to babysit our kid? You must've gotten a lot done around the house too, right?" - my wife

me:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Aurora posted:

I dunno if you have any stray unlock-a-thing challenges from 1-60, you should get those out of the way first.

I can't do a few yet I don't think (your make it to Z## without deaths/hiring), but this is only... 4? 5? Portals in so I need to finish a couple of perk unlock challenges.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merijn posted:

"So you took the day off to babysit our kid? You must've gotten a lot done around the house too, right?" - my wife

me:

Your wife doesn't refer to your kid by name?

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Im curious, how do you guys play idle games? I mean, web, mobile, steam? This may or may not be a related to a game im working on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

evilentity posted:

Im curious, how do you guys play idle games? I mean, web, mobile, steam? This may or may not be a related to a game im working on.

Browser all the way

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Danaru posted:

Browser all the way

Same. I think the lone exceptions to this rule were Crush Crush via Steam (because it amused me for a bit) and... I forget what it was on my phone for about a week before I prestiged twice and went "nothing changes here".

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Definitely web, I need my Steam free so I can play actual games while having some idler open in the background.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

evilentity posted:

Browser and a few mobile games. I'd rather play a new idle on the web though.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

evilentity posted:

Whatever's on Steam. I like how it keeps track of how many hours I've wasted, and gives me meaningless achievements to mark bad life decisions.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

evilentity posted:

All I play right now is Clicker Heroes on mobile. I'm playing it on one of my older phones that I use just for games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Browser because the mobile ones are mostly reskins or cash grabs.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

I can't do a few yet I don't think (your make it to Z## without deaths/hiring), but this is only... 4? 5? Portals in so I need to finish a couple of perk unlock challenges.

The challenges that unlock new things (often perks) are what the other person was referring to. I think you may be thinking of the feats in the achievements section, which are sort of mini-challenges but aren't at all important to do right away (although I'll reiterate that Underachiever feels like such a huge step backward if you go for it later, that you might as well do it early since it can never really get substantially easier).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh. If you're packing Ethereal Heirlooms with the best mods past maximum it wouldn't be too bad to hammer it out in a couple hours.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Looks like web wins by quite a margin. I guess focusing on web before mobile makes sense. Thanks.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If I were to play a mobile idler, it would have to:

- Not be a goddamned cash grab
- Have good resource/battery longevity
- Operate fine when minimized or better yet closed (calculate effective progress based on change in clock)
- Be the sort of game you'd check in on for a minute or two every few hours and not suffer if you're unable to babysit every five minutes

Being plastered with advertising is included in being a goddamned cash grab.

NB: Most of these also apply to web idlers, except the one about not needing babysitting; web games I can see being more realistic to reward active play. And while battery longevity may not be a concern, you still don't want to gobble up CPU or memory.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vil posted:

- Operate fine when minimized or better yet closed (calculate effective progress based on change in clock)
- Be the sort of game you'd check in on for a minute or two every few hours and not suffer if you're unable to babysit every five minutes

NB: Most of these also apply to web idlers, except the one about not needing babysitting; web games I can see being more realistic to reward active play. And while battery longevity may not be a concern, you still don't want to gobble up CPU or memory.

It would be nice if offline progress wasn't gated behind premium currency. I've tried a lot of mobile idlers that expect me to give them real money so I can get offline progress and gently caress that.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vil posted:

Idle Mage Attack fits most of your criteria IMO.

- Not a cash grab! I've never thought "Boy I should pick up some of this PREMIUM CURRENCY to progress", and the single ad at the top of the menus is unobtrusive
- your primary progression requires the app to be open and active, but this somehow doesn't murder my battery.
- It ALSO doesn't require much attention! Basically every few minutes I need to click respawn, besides that it's entirely automated (and there's a mechanic that makes it not as
- Secondary/tertiary progression is all "close your app and go do some other poo poo". Your spells slowly, constantly get experience, taking a very long time to level; your upgrades take anywhere from 20 minutes to several days to run, with no realistic way to speed them up (at this point); you can run "raids" every 30 minutes that provide better rewards than standard play (including a handful of premium currency), and only take 2 minutes
-No "Tap the screen forever" mechanic

On top of that, I've never seen a game quite like this one

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would have liked Clicker Heroes on my phone if the app had a better than 33% chance of still being open ten seconds after launching it and if it didn't triple/quadruple my battery usage while it ran.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I would have liked Clicker Heroes on my phone if the app had a better than 33% chance of still being open ten seconds after launching it and if it didn't triple/quadruple my battery usage while it ran.

This is likely because of Unity, which really should never be used for an idle game. It has it's place, but an idle game should not be using it. It is resource intensive what an idle game does not want to be.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pixaal posted:

This is likely because of Unity, which really should never be used for an idle game. It has it's place, but an idle game should not be using it. It is resource intensive what an idle game does not want to be.

I don't know about phones but I can tell you it doesn't murder browsers as badly as Flash does.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't know about phones but I can tell you it doesn't murder browsers as badly as Flash does.

Neither should be used for an idle game. Phones don't support flash, flash is dead. You shouldn't make anything new in Flash.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Vil posted:

Idle Mage Attack won't push you to spend money, won't shove full page ads into your face and is so graphically lo-fi it runs smooth on my 3 year old phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Idle Mage Attack rules. I can't wait to get more spells, they're pretty varied so far and it'll be nice to see what kinda weird builds you can get once you get multiple summons and walls or whatever.