Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Prison break by rubbing your hand until it's sore, using the saw to cut something in half. Put it back so it's whole and escape through the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Elfface posted:

Prison break by rubbing your hand until it's sore, using the saw to cut something in half. Put it back so it's whole and escape through the hole.

That sore/saw tactic will only work in certain parts of the US

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is actually an explicit power in Demon: the Descent. You can learn an Exploit (read: big obvious magic power) called Play on Words that lets you alter reality based on the unintended (or intended) puns people make around you.

With one special note to make it even stupider and more powerful.

It works multilingually.

Oh, btw, Demons speak every language that is alive and natively spoken by humans.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

This is actually an explicit power in Demon: the Descent. You can learn an Exploit (read: big obvious magic power) called Play on Words that lets you alter reality based on the unintended (or intended) puns people make around you.

It works multilingually.

Oh, btw, Demons speak every language that is alive and natively spoken by humans.

That seems like it would be confusing to fight. "We have you now, villain!"
"Why did our paladin just turn into a cat?"
"Oh uh well there's this island language and in it the phrase for "we have" is close to the phrase for "I am" and "villain" or "fiend" is like "cat" and- look just assume you're screwed"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That seems like it would be confusing to fight. "We have you now, villain!"
"Why did our paladin just turn into a cat?"
"Oh uh well there's this island language and in it the phrase for "we have" is close to the phrase for "I'm a cat" and- look just assume you're screwed"

Well, like, Demon is a modern paranormal game. Using real-world languages.

The game suggests, if you take this power, either having some translation dictionaries on hand or at least noting some key phrases that you feel will come up often.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, like, Demon is a modern paranormal game. Using real-world languages.

Okay then "I'm the champion now" lets you turn the arena winner into fungus because it's a French pun, and that's gonna be pretty confusing for players who don't speak French.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Welcome to Demon!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elfface posted:

No

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Mors Rattus posted:

It works multilingually.

It's all well and good until you start playing with a Finn and suddenly everyone's milk has vipers in it.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Balance it with the victim has to understand the language the pun is in to have themself or their belongings affected.

A pun shouldn't be painful unless you can understand it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elfface posted:

You saw through the wall, granting you xray vision, making everyone you look at too long become cancerous, so theyll eventually die and that causes their hair to turn an unappealing shade of green

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

spectralent posted:

Do I even want to know what sex ninjas are? Sex gods and sex fairies are a concept I'm familiar with but not sex ninjas.

Unless you mean a ninja sex party, which I am familiar with but seems an unusual reference in a fantasy series.

Ninjas who gently caress all the time, but they don't know how babies are made so Kvothe can gently caress all he wants to and not worry about kids because they won't connect any pregnancies to him.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Piell posted:

Ninjas who gently caress all the time, but they don't know how babies are made so Kvothe can gently caress all he wants to and not worry about kids because they won't connect any pregnancies to him.

That's way more boring than I was hoping in either direction.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

spectralent posted:

That's way more boring than I was hoping in either direction.

Welcome to Rothfuss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am suddenly feeling validated in never wanting to read Name of the Wind.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Ronan Wills did an exhaustive, brutal, and hilarious Let's Read of Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear, which I found valuable just as a seminar in How Not To Do Writing, as well as entertaining in its own right. Thanks to forums user Thayet for linking me to it originally. I read both of them before deciding to jump off the train, showing some learning behavior from last time I read someone who couldn't resolve a plot point to save his life -- took me till book 8 of Wheel of Time to give up on that one.

TLDR: It's self-involved garbage and even before the Felurian 'omg you are the Master Fucksmith of Legend' bit Kvothe is Best At Everything (archmage, fencer, rockstar, raconteur), also Misunderstood and Put Upon for his Obvious Greatness, of which everyone is Jealous.

Kvothe's dreadful Gary Stu qualities aside, the storytelling commits a cardinal sin of starting with something actually kind of interesting (the bug-monster thing which is all Scary and Harbingery and whatnot) then never, ever getting back to it, instead diving up a fractally recursive rear end in a top hat of nested flashbacks and asides, none of which are as interesting as what we're not getting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like a fan of the series would probably tell me that Kvothe being the best at everything is so over-the-top because he's the narrator and he's exaggerating his own greatness but also, I don't really want to read that no matter what the justification is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Harrow posted:

I feel like a fan of the series would probably tell me that Kvothe being the best at everything is so over-the-top because he's the narrator and he's exaggerating his own greatness but also, I don't really want to read that no matter what the justification is.

That's what some people have suggested except that even in his 'depowered' current state due to story shenanigans he's apparently still able to take on a group of monsters and win, while the narrator is being omniscient third-person rather than Kvothe.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I still think it's worth making your own judgements on the series, there's enough cool things in it that I'd say it's worth checking out if the books came out at any kind of reasonable pace and the various cool things bubbling up and foreshadowed had a chance of being resolved before the sun dies out. But then, I enoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, Wise Man's Fear not as much.

I dunno, complaining about Kvothe being the best usually just reads to me as a criticism from someone whose whole exposure to fantasy fiction is bad fanfic and anime, where the main character being extraordinarily talented and skilled is just assumed to be a problem with no further thought, I mean he is the hero of the story, being talented and skilled is fine. I like to read about James Bond and Sherlock Holmes and the like, not every hero needs to be a Jimmy Shitfarmer.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 23, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

There's nothing wrong with a dude just being good, I didn't mind Kvothe that much in the first book after all. But reading Wise Man's fear was a mistake

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, Name of the Wind, a bit of power fantasy fun.

The second book... :gonk:

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Arivia posted:

Okay, now the Forgotten Realms stuff.

You're not wrong. It's described in Realmspace, a Spelljammer supplement written by the infamously bad slade who basically poo poo all over TSR's product lines in the 1990s. So, not by Ed.

Oh no no, Ed absolutely does not get off the hook for this one, given that he wrote many Dragon Magazine articles involving Elminster hanging out at his place drinking his beer, that I'm pretty sure go back to the '80s, but most definitely to 1992 at absolute latest.

edit: drat, that's not even the first time I've had to correct you on this in this thread. I'm just some guy who read a bunch of old Dragons and I know this, what's your excuse for this lapse of knowledge, oh great Realms scholar?

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 23, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Parkreiner posted:

Oh no no, Ed absolutely does not get off the hook for this one, given that he wrote many Dragon Magazine articles involving Elminster hanging out at his place drinking his beer, that I'm pretty sure go back to the '80s, but most definitely to 1992 at absolute latest.

edit: drat, that's not even the first time I've had to correct you on this in this thread. I'm just some guy who read a bunch of old Dragons and I know this, what's your excuse for this lapse of knowledge, oh great Realms scholar?

Yes, Ed has written a number of articles including himself and Elminster having a conversation, that's very true. I discussed those in the very post you quoted. I've found when people are talking about Elminster's secret hideout/"pocket dimension" like that they are referring to that terrible section of Realmspace, however.

Elminster and Ed make plenty of asides in those columns, and do joke and poke fun at each other - that's part of the author as character technique that Ed adopted likely from the Divine Comedy.

PS: The last Wizards Three article is in #344 for 3e.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is the second time you've done this in the last two pages so I'm calling you out on this :

Are you actually making a comparison between Ed Greenwood and motherfucking Dante?

Also I forgot that you whined about "people on the 3e optimization boards" not playing the game correctly for reading the rules and using 6th grade math.

I don't like the D&D causes brain damage meme in general, but I'll say it again : what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I still think it's worth making your own judgements on the series, there's enough cool things in it that I'd say it's worth checking out if the books came out at any kind of reasonable pace and the various cool things bubbling up and foreshadowed had a chance of being resolved before the sun dies out. But then, I enoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, Wise Man's Fear not as much.

I dunno, complaining about Kvothe being the best usually just reads to me as a criticism from someone whose whole exposure to fantasy fiction is bad fanfic and anime, where the main character being extraordinarily talented and skilled is just assumed to be a problem with no further thought, I mean he is the hero of the story, being talented and skilled is fine. I like to read about James Bond and Sherlock Holmes and the like, not every hero needs to be a Jimmy Shitfarmer.

Having a character be hypercompetent isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's when they're not challenged in any way that seems compelling or convincing of actual challenge to them and doesn't obtain victory (or defeat for that matter) through trivial bullshit, rear end pulls or general deus ex machina.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

Yes, Ed has written a number of articles including himself and Elminster having a conversation, that's very true. I discussed those in the very post you quoted. I've found when people are talking about Elminster's secret hideout/"pocket dimension" like that they are referring to that terrible section of Realmspace, however.

Elminster and Ed make plenty of asides in those columns, and do joke and poke fun at each other - that's part of the author as character technique that Ed adopted likely from the Divine Comedy.

PS: The last Wizards Three article is in #344 for 3e.
Dragon 359 was the last for 3E, actually, also by Ed Greenwood and still a bit self-indulgent. The basic idea there is that the title characters get invited to Ed Greenwood's house and learn about the existence of Dragon Magazine, but it certainly could have done better with its use of metafiction. (I own only two issues of Dragon, and 359 is one of them given that it was the last physical issue before 4E's switch to a digital format.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 23, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Lol at people who still don't have Arivia on ignore

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spectralent posted:

Do I even want to know what sex ninjas are? Sex gods and sex fairies are a concept I'm familiar with but not sex ninjas.

Unless you mean a ninja sex party, which I am familiar with but seems an unusual reference in a fantasy series.
Are you familiar with the Japanese medium of anime?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Having a character be hypercompetent isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It's when they're not challenged in any way that seems compelling or convincing of actual challenge to them and doesn't obtain victory (or defeat for that matter) through trivial bullshit, rear end pulls or general deus ex machina.

The impression I got from the first book is that Kvothe is a highly unreliable narrator and all the times he was totally awesome you guys should be taken with a considerable amount of salt.
I wasn't interested enough to read the second book.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I like the books. I'm a fan of the prose style, and also note that many of the complaints I hear regularly are flat-out false and/or misleading as all hell. And while I would love to have a big grognard argument about it, I think it would accomplish nothing AND be counter to the point of the thread. In addition, I have no Murphys that have not been covered in the thread already so I guess we'll just have to wait for a Rothfuss-written tabletop RPG system to come out.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Lee posted:

I like the books. I'm a fan of the prose style, and also note that many of the complaints I hear regularly are flat-out false and/or misleading as all hell. And while I would love to have a big grognard argument about it, I think it would accomplish nothing AND be counter to the point of the thread. In addition, I have no Murphys that have not been covered in the thread already so I guess we'll just have to wait for a Rothfuss-written tabletop RPG system to come out.

You know what else would accomplish nothing? Posting about how you're not going to post about something.

In 3.x, there was a list of acceptable bard performances to use bardic music

quote:

While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.

In Pathfinder, they change it to be any perform skill with different rules for visual and audio performances. A couple abilities require certain types (countersong, distraction) but for the rest, anything works.

One of the perform categories is mime.

One ability, dirge of doom, specifically says that the creature must be able to see and hear the bard for it to work.

In Pathfinder, covering your ears is a legitimate defence against mimes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Lone Badger posted:

The impression I got from the first book is that Kvothe is a highly unreliable narrator and all the times he was totally awesome you guys should be taken with a considerable amount of salt.

That was the first book. In the second book, everything Kvothe did was true and all the times he was totally awesome you guys should be taken literally.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nessus posted:

Are you familiar with the Japanese medium of anime?

Yeah I was figuring either it'd be Senran Kagura or like, some kind of game-of-thrones grimdark stuff where they're ninjas who kill people with sex, and "Ninjas who don't know where babies come from" is probably the most boring of any option.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

spectralent posted:

Yeah I was figuring either it'd be Senran Kagura or like, some kind of game-of-thrones grimdark stuff where they're ninjas who kill people with sex, and "Ninjas who don't know where babies come from" is probably the most boring of any option.

Yeah, they're not really sex ninjas at all -- they're martial artists, like shotokan guys, not spies and awesome sneaky types like ninjas. And sex isn't part of their combat deal, they're just so open and don't have any hangups about boning or nudity like our so-called 'civilization' and btw they're all hot and Kvothe never runs across any nude dudes who want to bang him and this isn't a super obvious wish fulfillment or anything.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

In Pathfinder, covering your ears is a legitimate defence against mimes.
All Pathfinder bardic miming is jazz (it's the notes they aren't playing that get you)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Lone Badger posted:

The impression I got from the first book was that Kvothe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is and completely lacks common sense or impulse control. If you ignore Kvothe's take on things and just pay attention to the events he's clearly his own worst enemy. The author's voice constantly blames his problems on everyone else but the actual story is about someone who refuses to learn from his mistakes and keeps compounding fuckup upon fuckup. Getting whipped for being a dumbass? Better take drugs! Now I'm on drugs? Time to go to the library! Banned from the library for wandering around with a lighted candle (because I trusted the guy who I pissed off earlier when he said "Take a candle in with you")? Better end the book by breaking into the library and telling my friends about it.

Multiple secondary characters explicitly call him out on this. He never learns. I assumed the rest of the series was going to be more of the same. Shame :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So something that came up just today in a game I'm in is D&D 3.5's Chameleon Prestige Class, which has the following ability:

quote:

Aptitude Focus (Ex): Once per day, you can select one of five areas upon which to focus your ever-shifting talents. After meditating for 1 hour, you gain the chosen abilities for 24 hours or until you change your aptitude focus. An aptitude focus ability is usable once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 5th level, and three times per day at 10th level. At 5th level, you can change your aptitude focus one time per day, and at 10th level you can change your aptitude focus two times per day. If you change to the arcane focus or divine focus ability, you must still obey the normal rules for preparing spells (including any rest required).

Arcane Focus: You gain the ability to prepare and cast arcane spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does, including the use of a spellbook (chameleons often use stolen or borrowed spellbooks; see page 178 of the Player's Handbook for details). Your spells per day are noted on Table 5—2: The Chameleon. You gain bonus spells for a high Intelligence score, just as a wizard does. When Table 5—2 indicates that you get 0 spells per day of a given spell level, you gain only the bonus spells you would be entitled to based on your Intelligence score for that spell level. Your caster level is equal to twice your class level. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks and Spellcraft checks and a +2 bonus on Will saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

That underlined bit is important.

See, Prestige Classes tend to have customized spell lists to reflect their specialization and whatever hoops you have to jump through to become eligible for them.

Such as the Trapsmith:

quote:

Skills: Craft (trapmaking) 8 ranks , Disable Device 8 ranks , Open Lock 5 ranks , Search 8 ranks
Special: Trapfinding class feature.

The earliest you could get to this class would be a Rogue 4 or something with the 8 ranks in these skills plus Trapfinding, and then Rogue 4/Trapsmith 1 by character level 5.

In exchange, you get the Haste spell redesignated as a 1st level spell for Trapsmiths, when it would normally a 3rd level spell for everyone else (such as a Wizard).

But since the Chameleon can choose from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class, and the Trapsmith is an arcane spellcaster, and Haste as a 1st level spell does appear on its spell list, then you could actually access it like that, as well as "dumpster diving" for any number of other spells cherry-picked from Prestige Class spell lists with the spell level reduced.

In the event, the DM and I closed off that loophole mutually, but it was a neat trick with the RAW that I thought definitely fit in with the thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's exactly why the Archivist is so brokenly powerful. Yeah this one prestige class in this one book has bloodlust as a first level spell, It's mine now.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

palecur posted:

Yeah, they're not really sex ninjas at all -- they're martial artists, like shotokan guys, not spies and awesome sneaky types like ninjas. And sex isn't part of their combat deal, they're just so open and don't have any hangups about boning or nudity like our so-called 'civilization' and btw they're all hot and Kvothe never runs across any nude dudes who want to bang him and this isn't a super obvious wish fulfillment or anything.

:psyduck: Super open sexual society that doesn't know where babies come from? Is it some sort of Amazon thing where it's all women?

...Cause that's even more wish-fulfilly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

gradenko_2000 posted:

So something that came up just today in a game I'm in is D&D 3.5's Chameleon Prestige Class, which has the following ability:

That underlined bit is important.

See, Prestige Classes tend to have customized spell lists to reflect their specialization and whatever hoops you have to jump through to become eligible for them.

Such as the Trapsmith:

The earliest you could get to this class would be a Rogue 4 or something with the 8 ranks in these skills plus Trapfinding, and then Rogue 4/Trapsmith 1 by character level 5.

In exchange, you get the Haste spell redesignated as a 1st level spell for Trapsmiths, when it would normally a 3rd level spell for everyone else (such as a Wizard).

But since the Chameleon can choose from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class, and the Trapsmith is an arcane spellcaster, and Haste as a 1st level spell does appear on its spell list, then you could actually access it like that, as well as "dumpster diving" for any number of other spells cherry-picked from Prestige Class spell lists with the spell level reduced.

In the event, the DM and I closed off that loophole mutually, but it was a neat trick with the RAW that I thought definitely fit in with the thread.

Pathfinder has (had?) a similar trick with the Samsaran race, which let you add several spells from another class's spell list to your own as long as they were of the same type (arcane/divine). Since the Summoner was a 6-level spellcasting class that got a ton of spells at heavily discounted levels so that it could keep pace with the 9-level classes within its field, this let wizards/sorcerers gain things like Haste as a second-level spell, or Summon Monster VII/VIII as fifth/sixth-level spells.