Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lone Goat posted:

Man once they got rid of Taylor this has been one of the most likable casts in a long time.

Yeah I kind of even like Jay now? I am dreading the Taylor jury speech but this season turned around fast.

I feel bad for Jessica because she was in a no win situation for a person for whom loyalty is a core value as she has said it is and then demonstrated with her actions. Like she was saved by David and then he saved her closest ally in Ken. I just see her making that same decision every time.

I don't see Adam getting as far in a Zeke run game, and Brett getting far in a Dave run game so I get why they don't flip. The stakes were relatively low for Ken and Jay so they have less insensitive to flip.

If anything Will or Sunday who are relatively safe for at least a little while with either faction probably should have swapped their vote there and I'm not sure why they decided to go to rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It'll be interesting to hear the exit interviews, but if we buy the idea that Sunday singlehandedly saved Zeke with her whispering at tribal, not only has my respect for her shot way up, but it's easier to understand why she's not flipping.

For Will, however, sticking to those guns is insane.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How many times over the course of the show have they ever gone to rocks?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Orange Sunshine posted:

How many times over the course of the show have they ever gone to rocks?

1. Marquesas (season 4)
2. Blood vs. Water (season 27)
3. Millennials vs. Gen X (season 33)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Three, I think.

Here, obviously.

It happened at F4 in Marquesas, and Paschal drew the then-purple rock. That one was a bit of a big deal; if it had been Paschal vs. Vecepia instead of Neleh, Paschal wins. So they added the F4 firemaking tiebreaker.

Blood vs. Water. F6 I think. It's part of why CBS casting has such an unjustified hard-on for Ciera. Katie was eliminated.

Finally, in Cambodia, it almost happened on finale night. Jeremy and Kelley Wentworth both played hidden idols, Spencer had immunity, and Kimmi and Tasha both received three votes. Had it gone to rocks, Keith would have been automatically eliminated because of the rules, which Jeff excitedly explained with a football diagram going into the commercial break. So, to avoid the non-rock-draw rock draw, they actually did come to unanimous consensus to vote out Kimmi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I'm getting that huge smug vibe from Zeke, and also from David - I mean his expression when playing that idol was like 'hah you guys thought I was actually gonna be selfish, I'm gonna show you all'. Plus the way Zeke was talking about his 'soldiers' is screaming puppetmaster. I'm not overly fond of the Bret edit either - he seems to be getting pretty frustrated with all the secrecy in the game.

Honestly I'm in it for Ken to win it all. I might not think they're a great player but I could take a Hannah win, since she's devoid of the arrogancy of the Zeke/Bret/David crew. I could even get behind Sunday winning if she pulls off a nice move or two.

It's interesting that personalities are playing such a big factor in swaying the vote this season - other than Michaela and Michelle, almost all the votes have been swayed by 'this person is annoying me/I don't trust this person'.

EDIT: Ahaha, the Bret coming out scene was edited out over here. So when Zeke suddenly started talking about their rainbow connection I was thoroughly confused.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 25, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I'm getting that huge smug vibe from Zeke, and also from David - I mean his expression when playing that idol was like 'hah you guys thought I was actually gonna be selfish, I'm gonna show you all'.

Pretty sure that expression was him smiling nervously because he is terrified that he just ended his own game if he is wrong

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

EDIT: Ahaha, the Bret coming out scene was edited out over here. So when Zeke suddenly started talking about their rainbow connection I was thoroughly confused.

what the gently caress where do you live?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

what the gently caress where do you live?

Singapore, which still has a pretty conservative community. So I'm not even surprised, just disappointed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I'm getting that huge smug vibe from Zeke, and also from David - I mean his expression when playing that idol was like 'hah you guys thought I was actually gonna be selfish, I'm gonna show you all'.

I think you're just projecting. He wouldn't feel the need to prove that anymore since he already gave his first HII to Jessica earlier in the season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The only people I don't think would be vaguely satisfying winners are Sunday and Will. While I'm not worried about Will, Sunday has been getting a lot of white noise confessionals like Michelle in Koah Rong did.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Jessica's ponderosa video was pretty fantastic, with the dog and her and Chris both admitting that they're lawyers.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
David, Zeke, Jay and Adam have obviously acted very independently at one time or another. All four put huge targets on their backs in the process. Their aggressive play has been really fun to watch.

Hannah paid lipservice to playing independently, but I dunno how real that actually is. Trying to come up with major decisions she's made that have influenced her game. She's super fun to watch though.

Sunday acted in her best interests in gunning for Jessica, and made that attack happen, though I wonder how much of her comments were tagalong from Chris being really wary of Jess. If she was the mastermind behind goading David into idoling Ken, that's play of the game at the moment. She seems to otherwise have coasted.

Ken, Will and Bret might be the biggest followers in the bunch, or am I forgetting something? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Ken fan, but his game has been pretty laid-back as far as I can tell. Will might be about to bust out, we'll see. Bret stuck with Chris til Chris got capped, then glued himself to Zeke.

Basically, everyone's either a mover and shaker or fun to watch or both, with the possible exceptions of Summer and Will. Makes for a dynamic season.

Hopefully no pagonging to come.. the majority is Will, Jay, Zeke, Summer, Bret, right? vs. David, Ken, Adam, Hannah? Bret, Zeke, Summer seem relatively tight, and Jay+Will need to gank one of them in the next few evictions before it gets down to six. I suppose Zeke's the most at risk atm in that five.. if they vote David or Ken out first, they can axe Zeke next. I'm not sure who else Zeke can slap the target on when David's gone and it's 5-3. That would be an easy and obvious time for Will and Jay to flip. Lots of possibilities though, as none of these "trustclusters(tm)" are tight.

Will, Sunday and Adam seem to be the people with the most armor, not counting idols. Jay's idol actually makes him more vulnerable, imo, because people know he's both a physical and an idol threat. Who knows about Adam's idol, again?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It'll be interesting to hear the exit interviews, but if we buy the idea that Sunday singlehandedly saved Zeke with her whispering at tribal, not only has my respect for her shot way up, but it's easier to understand why she's not flipping.

For Will, however, sticking to those guns is insane.

Yeah, I would definitely think more highly of her if this was an intentional move and it makes her not flipping make sense.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MrBuddyLee posted:

Sunday acted in her best interests in gunning for Jessica, and made that attack happen

Jessica wasn't voted out, or even voted for. That's what makes it all the more baffling that Sunday is being given so much airtime related to it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
http://i.imgur.com/VDKQHLW.gifv

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

^^^ :lol: ^^^

I don't get why people are praising Sunday for telling Hannah that they were "voting" for Ken at tribal.
They were all voting for Hannah. There's no way anyone would tell the person they're voting for that they are voting for them. Especially at tribal. It was not a super strategic or intelligent move, it was common sense.
That being said, why would Hannah even ask what the plan was after hearing the whispered "stick to the plan."? You already know they're going to vote for you, of course they're going to tell you someone different.
RIP Jessica

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That was more Adam not reading the situation well. But it was a good lie on Sunday's part.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Sunday didn't do something brilliant. Hannah threw a line and hoped Sunday would stupidly give up her name. Sunday had enough sense to lie to try and deflect the idol. She made the right move and it worked because Adam is gullible (and you could see David and Hannah were apprehensive about acting on that information) but its not like Hannah "took out" Jessica.

But she's playing, and that's cool because in a normal season she's the sort of person you'd expect to see just keeping her head down and trying to float further.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Hannah paid lipservice to playing independently, but I dunno how real that actually is. Trying to come up with major decisions she's made that have influenced her game. She's super fun to watch though.
I think she's tried, she just hasn't been that effective. Ever since the Micheala blindside she's seemingly tried to organize the "nerd" alliance, made the decision to flip away from her tribe mates Will and Jay to vote with Gen X, and then not only chose David over Zeke but tried to play double agent and set them further against each other. She just kind of made a mess of it because she was too neurotic to hide her intentions from Zeke. But I think she's playing. She's just doing it in her adorably messy way.

quote:

Sunday acted in her best interests in gunning for Jessica, and made that attack happen, though I wonder how much of her comments were tagalong from Chris being really wary of Jess. If she was the mastermind behind goading David into idoling Ken, that's play of the game at the moment. She seems to otherwise have coasted.
I suspect its the opposite. Chris forgave Sunday for the Paulie blindside and he was able to get past it enough to work with David on their tribe. Sunday seemed to be the one more convinced that Jessica was holding a grudge for it. Of course we don't know the degree of behavior here. Its entirely possible Jessica was being standoffish with the two of them to the point where they had good reason to worry or it could be the other way around. But my guess is Sunday was stoking the flames of paranoia/revenge with Paulie, especially since she and that other lady tried to put the entire blindside on Jessica to avoid taking any heat themselves.

quote:

Ken, Will and Bret might be the biggest followers in the bunch, or am I forgetting something? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Ken fan, but his game has been pretty laid-back as far as I can tell. Will might be about to bust out, we'll see. Bret stuck with Chris til Chris got capped, then glued himself to Zeke.
Ken's laid back and arguably passive but I wouldn't call him a "follower". He tried to flip things to save Jessica early on (in part because he realized if he "followed" the majority he'd be picked off) but she wouldn't listen to him which forced David to use his idol. He and Jessica also worked to flip Adam and Ken seemed to sell him hard on the fact that they'd be loyal. He hasn't done much since but a lot of that seems to be that things were going well. He went with David's plan to vote out Zeke because (a) he wanted to be loyal to David and (b) he wanted to protect Jessica. Ken and Jessica are doing the un-Survivor thing of being willing to put themselves at risk for loyalty and you can call that a lot of things, but I don't thinks it "following." Especially since I have my doubts that David could beat Ken in a final (which makes his decision to be loyal to David a bit different from Bret's decision to be loyal to Zeke).

Will confuses me. He seemed to be going into business for himself by exposing Jay's idol but then he inexplicably chose to go to rocks instead of voting out Zeke. So maybe he just couldn't think on his feet? Or maybe he's just as blindly loyal to Zeke as he seemed to be to Jay? Or maybe he just figured if he flipped he'd be on the bottom of both sides? I really don't know what that kid is thinking.

But Bret seemed to just jump from Paulie to Chris to Zeke. He definitely strikes me as a "follower."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hey look on the bright side, if David didn't play his idol on Ken then Ken might have drawn the black rock. :v:

Also I feel like Adam has more or less just been messing up everyone's game. Other than voting out Figgy most of his 'attempts' have just been harmful to himself or his allies. But hey, they'll milk every tear out of him next week.

I think part of where David came off as arrogant to me is him not listening to Hannah. I mean yeah she's a rolling ball of neuroses but sometimes your gut isn't lying. Hannah already took a big risk by flipping to your side, and you know Zeke's alliance is going to target one of you, and you know that Zeke's smart enough to shift the target to flush out an idol. Even if Hannah was wrong and Ken would have been voted out, if you play an idol on her you secure her loyalty.

David and Zeke don't take in a lot of actual advice, which is where I see their game being blown up. Being able to rise above your alliance members is good when you're sitting next to them at FTC, but if you can't work with them to get that far you're not going to come off that well.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hannah seems to be stumbling around but the two biggest targets after that TC have to be Zeke and David.
Then Jay, Adam and Ken.
She mostly needs to keep out of the lines of fire and could make Final 6.

STAC Goat posted:

Will confuses me. He seemed to be going into business for himself by exposing Jay's idol but then he inexplicably chose to go to rocks instead of voting out Zeke. So maybe he just couldn't think on his feet? Or maybe he's just as blindly loyal to Zeke as he seemed to be to Jay? Or maybe he just figured if he flipped he'd be on the bottom of both sides? I really don't know what that kid is thinking.
He can tell you:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215479/

quote:

Survivor contestant you're most like:
WW: I don't want to play like any past Survivor. Each season is its own game and should be unique. I will play the way I need to play in order to manipulate people. However, I do respect Randy Bailey (Gabon, Heroes vs. Villains).

Reason for being on Survivor:
WW: My primary motivation is to show people that, even though I'm young, I can do anything an older person can do and more. People don't respect youth and I'm going to make them regret that. My secondary motivation is to screw with people's heads and lie every chance I get. It just sounds like fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think part of where David came off as arrogant to me is him not listening to Hannah. I mean yeah she's a rolling ball of neuroses but sometimes your gut isn't lying. Hannah already took a big risk by flipping to your side, and you know Zeke's alliance is going to target one of you, and you know that Zeke's smart enough to shift the target to flush out an idol. Even if Hannah was wrong and Ken would have been voted out, if you play an idol on her you secure her loyalty.

David and Zeke don't take in a lot of actual advice, which is where I see their game being blown up. Being able to rise above your alliance members is good when you're sitting next to them at FTC, but if you can't work with them to get that far you're not going to come off that well.

I don't know if I'd call that "arrogant" as much as it was paranoia and neurosis. Honestly, even though Hannah was right she was acting a little paranoid and neurotic by assuming the vote was definitely coming on her. Obviously David was hesitant about using another idol for someone else when he knew he was in the line of fire. The fact that he used it on Ken makes me assume he would have used it on Hannah if Adam hadn't said anything. I just think he was a nervous mess about it and when Hannah presented it to him he was still freaking out about "blowing up" his game.

David doesn't seem to seek advice and that could eventually be his downfall (and certainly could be seen as arrogant) but I think mostly he's been driven by his own neuroticism which makes him think everything is his own fault. Which is kind of the opposite of arrogance, IMO. David was basically kicking himself for loving up and trusting Bret and Sunday and begging his allies to save him.

For what its worth I'm not flipping on Zeke either and declaring him "arrogant." For now I'll assume he was just genuinely hurt that Hannah chose David over him and lashing out and is a little high on the Chris blindside. If he continues then I'll call him "arrogant" but for now I'll dismiss it as a simple incidental human thing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just catching up on the double feature. Two extremely solid episodes, entertainment wise.

One thing that I find tremendously amusing: every season we get a bunch of players who have a cry about how they are on the show to show their kids how strong and good they can be... while clearly being tremendously lovely people. This season, we have Ken. I actually buy it from Ken. He might be the genuinely "best person" we've ever seen on Survivor. Or he could be a monster with a nice edit, who knows?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Singapore, which still has a pretty conservative community. So I'm not even surprised, just disappointed.

Wow, this is pretty weird. I also remember being kind of semi-accidentally on a Boy George DJ gig in Singapore, I guess they forgot to edit him out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arcanen posted:

Just catching up on the double feature. Two extremely solid episodes, entertainment wise.

One thing that I find tremendously amusing: every season we get a bunch of players who have a cry about how they are on the show to show their kids how strong and good they can be... while clearly being tremendously lovely people. This season, we have Ken. I actually buy it from Ken. He might be the genuinely "best person" we've ever seen on Survivor. Or he could be a monster with a nice edit, who knows?

In this secret scene after losing the reward challenge Ken calmly goes out and catches enough fish to feed everyone who didn't win.
http://d.pr/v/xjvC

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

In this secret scene after losing the reward challenge Ken calmly goes out and catches enough fish to feed everyone who didn't win.
Ken is a loving BOSS!

The best episode take away I got from Ken was he's just chillin and cutting up coconut meat... constantly.

He's like a bartender, if the only thing he can serve is coconut slices.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 26, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I was thinking about this earlier and figured that, all things considered, he probably (relatively fairly) figured that Jessica would flip on the re-vote... and it really seemed like she was close to doing so. It's after it was clear it would be going to rocks that he seemed willing to change his vote rather than leaving his fate in the game up to random chance, but it was too late since others weren't interested in flipping.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm on the fence on what moves, if any, Ken needs to make to get to the end. One could argue that he needs to make bigger strategic moves to be a 'deserving' winner, but the thing is, Ken is already a huge quiet threat. Outside of people voting with a vendetta or bias, he might be the biggest jury threat one can be without sitting next to Russell Hantz. Nobody dislikes him, people admire him, he's strong enough to have pulled his weight in both challenges and around camp, and unless you're David you'd be daft to bring him to FTC. So the best thing he can do might just be to stay low, make good allies, and somehow make it to the end. Doesn't mean he's a slam-dunk to win if he makes it there, but I don't think anyone would feel bad about him winning - he's one of the nicest people to have ever played the game.

Bolivar posted:

Wow, this is pretty weird. I also remember being kind of semi-accidentally on a Boy George DJ gig in Singapore, I guess they forgot to edit him out.

They're fairly selective about their choices of censorship - they can't completely pull media that do have some sort of gay component built into it, like Glee or Modern Family, because they want to air popular shows, so they just make weird censorship changes. But this isn't really the thread for it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bret also made a really strategic move by remaining calm and thanking Zeke for getting rid of Chris. So many people come back to camp in a situation like that and immediately mope and just further isolate themselves from the group. He chose to remain calm and move on, which was really good for his game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Binary Logic posted:

It seems to me like they would include that if he won the game. :ohdear:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

Bret also made a really strategic move by remaining calm and thanking Zeke for getting rid of Chris. So many people come back to camp in a situation like that and immediately mope and just further isolate themselves from the group. He chose to remain calm and move on, which was really good for his game.

Quite this. So much this.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

ApplesandOranges posted:

It actually was pretty touching and maybe the only generational conversation that hasn't felt forced this season.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I feel like Jay might be on the right track to head to the end. As long as the David and Zeke feud keeps going with them sniping each others' allies, he should be able to sneak in to a spot in the final three with that idol of his.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dugong posted:

It actually was pretty touching and maybe the only generational conversation that hasn't felt forced this season.

Yeah, it was way more genuine than "WHO SPELLS THINGS RIGHT WHEN TEXTING??? LOL AGE DIFFERENCES."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Blastinus posted:

I feel like Jay might be on the right track to head to the end. As long as the David and Zeke feud keeps going with them sniping each others' allies, he should be able to sneak in to a spot in the final three with that idol of his.

I doubt it, if he makes it to the end from the bottom then that's a solid lock for a win and everyone will recognise that at some point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That assumes optimal play out of some of the same people who thought that using the HII on Ken was a good idea.

Don't get me wrong; it was a sexy idea, and my lady boner is grateful, but I can easily see Jay slipping part the blinders these chuckleheads are wearing.

My prediction is that Zeke spends the rest of his time casually worrying that it needs to happen, but simultaneously needing Jay for voting numbers.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I know at some point I'd be doing jury math and realize that if I put Jay on the jury and take Adam to the end, there are three votes that he will never, ever get already sitting there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think there's a chance Adam can win without doing some serious grovelling at this point. Even next to, say, Sunday and Will, he'd probably end up losing because that many people dislike him. Of course, talking about his mom's cancer might win him some sympathy votes from people like Ken.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know it's been visible throughout, and she actually called attention to it this episode, but even before she did (the conversation on the beach with Dave in particular) I couldn't help but notice how extreme Hannah's twitches/ticks are! She spends nearly the whole episode visibly gagging. She must be one MASSIVE bundle of nerves and anxiety. Surprised she could pass medical to be allowed on the show (although I shouldn't be surprised, they can let Brandon Hantz on the show a second time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That few years' stretch where we got 5 Hantz Survivor seasons and 1 Big Brother season was dark.

• Locked thread