Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Insert joke about train simulators always running on time in Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So I was going to make a video highlighting some ATS rescale differences with a quick job on a fresh profile... I did a quick run from Vegas to Kingman in the pre-beta version, then installed the beta and did it again. My results: didn't really notice anything different, and the trip took the exact same amount of time.

What's the deal? Did the West Coast areas get a lot more TLC than the desert? Are the rescale differences something I'm only going to notice on much longer trips? Moving from 1:35 to 1:20 scale is a pretty big jump; even if only 1/3 or so of my quick job was outside cities where the changes really kick in, it seems like I should have noticed some subtle differences...?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

Insert joke about train simulators always running on time in Germany

That's usually attributed to Mussolini, so Italian train sims would run on time. The German joke would be related to gas chambers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elendil004 posted:

That's usually attributed to Mussolini, so Italian train sims would run on time. The German joke would be related to gas chambers.

what are the german trains filled with holmes

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Coolguye posted:

what are the german trains filled with holmes

Those are called zugsherlock

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Trustworthy posted:

So I was going to make a video highlighting some ATS rescale differences with a quick job on a fresh profile... I did a quick run from Vegas to Kingman in the pre-beta version, then installed the beta and did it again. My results: didn't really notice anything different, and the trip took the exact same amount of time.

What's the deal? Did the West Coast areas get a lot more TLC than the desert? Are the rescale differences something I'm only going to notice on much longer trips? Moving from 1:35 to 1:20 scale is a pretty big jump; even if only 1/3 or so of my quick job was outside cities where the changes really kick in, it seems like I should have noticed some subtle differences...?

Weird, it should have been a little bit longer. If you recorded both drives just split screen playback and see, however here is a map showing what was added.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Harminoff posted:

here is a map showing what was added.

Cool, that's good to know. Gonna keep my eyes open as I pass through some of those longer new areas.

Speaking of driving, this is totally street legal, right?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SimSig sure does lull you into thinking you know what you are doing once you understand the interface. Then rush hour kicks in and everyone is waiting at red lights and calling you and there is a track failure somewhere and aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

So let's get this trailer loaded up and get this logging operation on the road!

Oh.

This is why you don't see a ton of people using these!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
SCS posted something:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Just once, I want to try the ultimate Nerd experience of getting 8 players or so to run a box, or even a pair of connected boxes, for a full 25 hours, in realtime, with no pausing.

Hey I don't know about the whole 25 hours thing but I want to try some multiplayer if you or anyone else is interested.

I've been playing Cambridge and finally can manage everything enough to avoid everything getting piled up. Time to move up to Bristol I guess.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I almost wish construction sim didn't have a teleport option because it's kinda fun loading the right gear onto trailers and planning that out.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I almost wish construction sim didn't have a teleport option because it's kinda fun loading the right gear onto trailers and planning that out.

We did that once and I hate you to this day

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

We did that once and I hate you to this day

Hah with a bigger crew it would be more fun

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hey I don't know about the whole 25 hours thing but I want to try some multiplayer if you or anyone else is interested.

I've been playing Cambridge and finally can manage everything enough to avoid everything getting piled up. Time to move up to Bristol I guess.

I've started a network-enabled game of Exeter, sent you a PM with details. I'm choosing Exeter over Bristol since it runs on the newer "Loader" engine.
If anyone else wants to join, send me a PM or post here.

E: Very exciting times!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 27, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some multiplayer SimSig was played. A save file if anyone wants to see the result. Simulation is Exeter version 5.0.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hi friends. I'm getting that train itch after several years again, and noticed I have trainz simulator 12 on steam, I think from some humble bundle. It's not in the good/bad sims list, does that mean it's extremely bad, or just very obscure?

The alternative is OpenRails I guess. I already have MSTS on some disk or another I think. I'm not giving dovetail money for their ancient poo poo and run-8 doesn't look like it does steam at all. Please tell me there's something good for steam out there. Double good if it has passable 19th century content.

e: VR support also a huge plus, though that seems to be not happening any time soon, maybe one of these has a mod?

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 27, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone interested in a G27? I picked one up fairly cheap from Craigslist, but between it not working well with Forza Horizon 3 and taking up a bunch of room, I don't really want it anymore.

Downside: I live in Hawaii, so shipping is going to be expensive. With that in mind, I'm looking for $130 + actual shipping. Actual shipping to include purchasing a box, bubble wrap, etc.

It's in fairly good condition, everything works great. When I bought it, something had chewed through the wheel-> pedal cable. I don't own a soldering iron, so I wrapped the leads together, taped them over(individually), and immersed all the leads in big cocoon of hot glue. They're not going anywhere. Kind of ugly though, and you might want to fix them for real if you have the equipment. PM me if you're interested.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If anyone is playing SimSig and isn't at the super pro sperg level yet you should try the Westbury map. It is available in the loader and provides a good challenge with some shunting stuff around without going into the solo Bristol deep end.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a mod to sell the digestate at the biogas plant?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sorry I've been remiss in my farming duties. Real life takes priority :(

Are we farming billionares yet ?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

Sorry I've been remiss in my farming duties. Real life takes priority :(

Are we farming billionares yet ?

No because you're not here you big jerk

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Trainsim16 is in the humble bundle at the pay-what-you-want tier at the moment.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Truga posted:

Hi friends. I'm getting that train itch after several years again, and noticed I have trainz simulator 12 on steam, I think from some humble bundle. It's not in the good/bad sims list, does that mean it's extremely bad, or just very obscure?

The alternative is OpenRails I guess. I already have MSTS on some disk or another I think. I'm not giving dovetail money for their ancient poo poo and run-8 doesn't look like it does steam at all. Please tell me there's something good for steam out there. Double good if it has passable 19th century content.

e: VR support also a huge plus, though that seems to be not happening any time soon, maybe one of these has a mod?

Trainz Simulator is extremely bad. Do not buy, it seriously suuuuuucks.
Edit: It's not a train simulator, it's a model railroad simulator. It's just for playing around with, not simulating real trains. Unfortunately Train Simulator is the only real option in my mind, despite dovetail being worthless.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 30, 2016

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
There are no actual train simulators on the market at the moment. Trainz is a (really bad) toy and Train Simulator is a slightly more complex toy. Neither come close to simulating anything remotely train related. At least with 3rd-party add-ons Train Simulator does a decent job of fooling you into thinking it's simulating something other than going forwards and backwards, but you have to pay for those in addition to paying for TS and its horribly overpriced DLC.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a mod to sell the digestate at the biogas plant?

Maybe you can you go into the map xml and add in:

<fillType name="digestate" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="false" disablePriceDrop="false" allowTrailers="true" />

Under one of the sell points and that would allow it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I tried trainz 12 since I had it on steam already and it didn't seem too terrible, outside of really bad performance issues on an overclocked haswell + 980Ti (lmbo), though I didn't play more than maybe an hour or two, seeing how it ran like poo poo, and physics didn't exist (full open regulator + heavy snow = no wheelslip in what world exactly?) I think I'll dig up my msts thing and install the latest open rails instead. I have a ton of content archived for that somewhere, at least.

Guess it's time to make a vive steam train sim in unity. It's just moving forward/back along the track, how hard could it be?? :v:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mackintosh posted:

going forwards and backwards

What else is there?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

PerniciousKnid posted:

What else is there?

Well, let's see...

Weather, sounds, physics, controls... basically all those things that make up a proper simulator.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Slickdrac posted:

Maybe you can you go into the map xml and add in:

<fillType name="digestate" priceScale="1" supportsGreatDemand="false" disablePriceDrop="false" allowTrailers="true" />

Under one of the sell points and that would allow it?

This is on a multiplayer server so I don't think I have access to the map xml.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

This is on a multiplayer server so I don't think I have access to the map xml.

In that case, it'd have to be modded on the hosting server, and everyone who connects. It might be mod-able, but I'm bad at mods, I only know how to edit files.

I'll test it on my solo world and see if I can figure out how to mod file it if it works

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

If anyone is playing SimSig and isn't at the super pro sperg level yet you should try the Westbury map. It is available in the loader and provides a good challenge with some shunting stuff around without going into the solo Bristol deep end.

Giving this a shot then.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

In that case, it'd have to be modded on the hosting server, and everyone who connects. It might be mod-able, but I'm bad at mods, I only know how to edit files.

I'll test it on my solo world and see if I can figure out how to mod file it if it works

Tested it, adding that line does allow you to sell it from a digestate trailer. However, it's worth less than grass or straw at ~$37/1000L on hard. Based on what's in the CCM mod, it looks like it's possible to make a mod to make it sellable just like other items, but that looks like a hell of a lot of definitions that I can't make heads or tails out of to make work smoothly. I might be able to make a simple script similar to the silo cleaner mod that just requires you to go to the tank and press some key combo and gives you a flat rate for it if you really want.

On another mod/file editing note, I've been trying to get the forage/loading wagons to be able to pick up silage with no luck (even though they SHOW silage in their tooltip by default). Are there any modded forage wagons that can load silage directly? I know conveyors are great, but I keep ramming them out of the way while crushing and then it's tedious to get them back, and the vacuum mixer is nice, but larger than 16000 would be nice.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Courseplay 5.0 beta released for FS17?

https://github.com/Courseplay/courseplay/issues/1375

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dance, DANCE MY PRETTIES!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stop telling me what to do mom

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know how I fell down this rabbit hole but there is a German (Dutch?) group that simulates the actual train dispatching machinery that is/was used in various European cities and it is pretty cool. I downloaded the Amsterdam demo and they reproduced the big mechanical dispatching board from the 1960s and included a 100 page English manual on how to run the thing. I don't know if it is something I will actually play but it is super impressive just from a programming/dedication perspective.

Here is the demo if anyone remotely cares about it: https://shop3.signalsoft.nl/nl/gratis-demo-versies/post-t-amsterdam-cs-demoversie-asd-demo-nl.html . They have free demos for other systems there as well and some ridiculously expensive payware.

Here is some German guy playing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uWuFnTFaI

e: You can play the demo for like an hour or so apparently

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 5, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Holy poo poo did you just send me on a huge nostalgia trip. I completely forgot this game existed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instead of playing Train Simulator, here you can watch a video of a real train driven mostly as you would in TS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9wBpvu86U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I got the humble tycoon bundle, because I didn't have big pharma yet and car mechanic simulator looks a version of street rod without the annoying (racing) part :v:
https://www.humblebundle.com/tycoon-simulator-bundle

It also includes train simulator, so I'll give it a go.