Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Big Taff Man posted:

Did he really? He looked awful from where I was sat. Gave the ball away under pressure a few times

I thought so, not perfect by any stretch but aside from taking a bit of time to get going, he was involved in most of the chances we just couldn't put away. I recall him having one himself that if he'd had more match time under his belt, he'd have got his toe to and finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so happy United signed mourinho lmao

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Did any of the Man Utd players look hungry?

I didn't watch the match.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Did any of the Man Utd players look hungry?

I didn't watch the match.

wayne rooney always looks hungry

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

oliwan posted:

I'm so happy United signed mourinho lmao

Mourinho is going to be coaching in the Hero Indian Super League in 3 years

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

curried lamb of God posted:

Mourinho is going to be coaching in the Hero Indian Super League in 3 years

he'll be going to zero to hero

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Honestly the only thing I'd criticise Jose for on Sunday is bringing Fellaini on for Lingard. I'd have prefered to see Young on for Darmian at that point.

The footballs looking better. The results will come. We're getting the ball, getting plenty of shots, its just that rub of the green we're not getting. Seems we're really getting bad luck with the refs at Old Trafford this season too - tho saying that I dont often watch stuff again after seeing it live in person.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Mourinho is doing a good job

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm glad Phil Jones is back.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I know it doesn't sit with the insightful stat posts and hilarious shitposts but I'm really not seeing anything to be upset about. We're at least putting good attacking moves together now:

Under van Gaal you could have just looped the first 2 passes over and over, and under Moyes it would have ended with RVP trying to beat Collins in the air from a cross.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scikar posted:

I know it doesn't sit with the insightful stat posts and hilarious shitposts but I'm really not seeing anything to be upset about. We're at least putting good attacking moves together now:

Under van Gaal you could have just looped the first 2 passes over and over, and under Moyes it would have ended with RVP trying to beat Collins in the air from a cross.

Yeah that deserved a goal, one of the really good saves the keeper made. Taff, Monreal did pretty much the same thing he did to Valencia last week, and gave away a penalty to Bournemouth. I thought the Pogba booking was hilarious, he had every right to pull out of that challenge. Bad luck, as you say.

It's been a long time since moves like the one Scikar posted and several from the Feyenoord match have been seen from a United side, even the latter Ferguson sides were more rugged determination than flair.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 28, 2016

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

The Big Taff Man posted:

its just that rub of the green we're not getting. Seems we're really getting bad luck with the refs at Old Trafford this season too - tho saying that I dont often watch stuff again after seeing it live in person.

Its balancing out the years of Fergie's gifts you used to get

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Just chiming in to say that getting a result against Arsenal doesn't mean anything because the team is completely unpredictable and can either be amazing or awful and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with their opponents.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Arsenal have been one of the four most consistently good Premier League sides for many years in a row.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

Arsenal have been one of the four most consistently good Premier League sides for many years in a row.

They've been consistent in terms of league place, but not performance for any given match or over a stretch of time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The league table doesn't lie.

Apart from last season when it said Leicester are good.

Most teams are less consistent than the arse.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Were unbeaten in 19 games. We've been consistently solid and even when we haven't been playing at our best we've taken good results. We just have a whiny fan base.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scikar posted:

Yeah, I know it's hilarious to lol at United and their 5612841 billion pound squad, but the football really is miles better than it almost ever was under LVG, and I'm confident the results will come.

Sadly they will come too late for a title push this season, but that's life. Progress is still progress and I believe in Jose (tm).

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At least we're getting some laffs out of Jose

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, I know it's hilarious to lol at United and their 5612841 billion pound squad, but the football really is miles better than it almost ever was under LVG, and I'm confident the results will come.

Sadly they will come too late for a title push this season, but that's life. Progress is still progress and I believe in Jose (tm).

I always thought Jose was quick to judge and stuck with the same XI once hes settled on it, but he's gone back on his opinions on Herrera who seemed out of the team at the start and Carrick who he looked like he thought was too old, and Schneiderlin who was told he'd never make a squad yet is back on the subs bench. And we seem to have a changed team every week as hes judging players.

He seems to not like Shaw and Smalling at the moment, and from what I hear part of that is that the two of them have had their agents making statements to the press after reports from things at Old Trafford. He also seems to have soured on Martial, but at least thats from bad form.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Gene Ricman or adumb or any other Everton fans: are you guys pissed off at Koeman yet? I feel like that team should be doing a lot better than it is right now.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 28, 2016

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at the posters trying to defend and rationalize the worst start iin the premier league in 25 years or whatever.

your manager is a psychotic clown who has been found out over the last couple of years. signing him was insanely retarded, but there you go. with a little bit of luck you might qualify for europa league, but probably not. well done united, i hope your official asian noodle partners are happy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Woodward will just buy a rabbit's foot and a four leafed clover in January and these mysterious luck problems will sort themselves out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ninpo posted:

I thought the Pogba booking was hilarious, he had every right to pull out of that challenge. Bad luck, as you say.

"Pulling out of a challenge" and "jumping off the ground with your feet and head so far back you almost stud yourself in the back of the neck then rolling around clutching your ankle" are rather different things.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sassassin posted:

they've also consistently shat the bed at old trafford

The Big Taff Man posted:

Honestly the only thing I'd criticise Jose for on Sunday is bringing Fellaini on for Lingard. I'd have prefered to see Young on for Darmian at that point.

The footballs looking better. The results will come. We're getting the ball, getting plenty of shots, its just that rub of the green we're not getting. Seems we're really getting bad luck with the refs at Old Trafford this season too - tho saying that I dont often watch stuff again after seeing it live in person.

Bring Howard Webb out of retirement imo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brony Car posted:

Gene Ricman or adumb or any other Everton fans: are you guys pissed off at Koeman yet? I feel like that team should be doing a lot better than it is right now.

FWIW, my Evertonian cousin is getting pissed off with the decision making. He's singled out Barkley a couple of times, plus the lack of depth at the team (which is hardly Koeman's fault).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

oliwan posted:

lol at the posters trying to defend and rationalize the worst start iin the premier league in 25 years or whatever.

your manager is a psychotic clown who has been found out over the last couple of years. signing him was insanely retarded, but there you go. with a little bit of luck you might qualify for europa league, but probably not. well done united, i hope your official asian noodle partners are happy.
Good post IMO.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

oliwan posted:

lol at the posters desperately hoping for United fans to all have nice meltdowns and not getting them

apart from this one

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Woodward will just buy a rabbit's foot and a four leafed clover in January and these mysterious luck problems will sort themselves out.

They really do need someone who knows football doing their deals. The premium United pays for transfers is a thing, sure, but with this guy in charge, everyone sees a mark walking up to the negotiating table.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
meltdowns are far less funny than insane rationalizations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

They really do need someone who knows football doing their deals. The premium United pays for transfers is a thing, sure, but with this guy in charge, everyone sees a mark walking up to the negotiating table.

Agreed, United are getting killed on every deal. They need a new chairman, a dealmaker, someone who can Make Manchester United Great Again.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Tbf Woodward persuades companies to hand over hundreds of millions of pounds for a couple of retweets and a logo in some forgotten corner of Man U's website so he can't be that bad at negotiation.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Paperhouse posted:

lol at the posters desperately hoping for United fans to all have nice meltdowns and not getting them

apart from this one

I'm enjoying every post made by the united posters itt and encourage you all to keep making them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star Error posted:

Tbf Woodward persuades companies to hand over hundreds of millions of pounds for a couple of retweets and a logo in some forgotten corner of Man U's website so he can't be that bad at negotiation.

He's lost them CL football but also made it so they don't need CL money to remain financially competitive with the top teams in the world.

Putting a lot less pressure on all his co-workers. Top man.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

vyelkin posted:

Agreed, United are getting killed on every deal. They need a new chairman, a dealmaker, someone who can Make Manchester United Great Again.

I don't think they are really. Bailly for £30m is a good deal, Mkhitaryan for £27m or whatever was a great price (at the time), Zlatan was free. Only Pogba from the last window was overpriced imo but he is and was extremely hyped so I'm pretty sure any club would have had to pay similar

we've bought some pretty average players but I think with most of them at the time the price seemed reasonable, it's only in hindsight when the transfer hasn't really worked out that it doesn't look good. Fellaini for £27m is the outlier, that was retarded at the time

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Don't talk to Ed Woodward about:

-the patriarchy
-sports

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

TheBigAristotle posted:

And yet they're still raking in money hand over fist. I honestly expected the debt to balloon and everything to blow up once Ferguson retired, but they've paid off all the bad loans and keep posting record revenues. I know football is dead etc. etc. but there's no trophy for keeping money in the bank. I think they've underestimated the value of keeping the loud fans at matches instead of pricing them out but apart from that I really don't care how much silly TV money gets thrown at new players.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Blue Star Error posted:

If I work at the apple store and sell a bunch of new iphones the day they launch does it make me a good salesman?

Man Utd are a huge club and people will buy anything that says Man Utd on it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The luck argument is very Jozyesque, they're essentially arguing that they have a high number of DZSiBoT (Danger Zone Shots in Box on Target) and thus a high number of xG (eXpected Goals), but using less funny words.

Can't possibly be that Ibra and the rest have just failed to put their chances away, perhaps due to being poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the United posters are now defending the club based on the amount of money they make. Lol. Maybe instead of supporting a football club, try McDonald's or Microsoft?

• Locked thread