Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Oh my god I can't wait for Yujiro to meet the Don

K. Flaps posted:

Trump peeing his pants when confronted by the might of the Ogre :nignog:

George W. and Obama both had to pledge their allegiance to Yujiro, so this meeting seems very likely to happen. And how awesome would it be if Che Guevara's ninja army infiltrated Trump's security detail?

Jedah fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Trump will be super ripped and the Ogre will congratulate him.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pewdiepie posted:

Trump will be super ripped and the Ogre will congratulate him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose, I'm glad my low energy photoshop gave you a laugh. I just like the idea that despite being a grown-rear end man, Papa Donald still refers to his son Donald Trump Jr. as "a teenager."

Your tower is looking Great, btw.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 134 is out! (Korean scans)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ah dang, its one of these chapters with lots of dialogue. It seems most of the other characters are training to the max?

Are we gonna have a Final Really Final Maximum Tournament ?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Grappler Baki Chapter 187 is out!

frajaq posted:

Ah dang, its one of these chapters with lots of dialogue. It seems most of the other characters are training to the max?
Are we gonna have a Final Really Final Maximum Tournament ?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Baki Dou Chapter 134 is filled with dialogue. I don't have the newest translations just yet, hopefully they should be out in the next few days. Not sure about another Maximum Tournament, I'm genuinely curious about what direction Itagaki will take with the manga after this.

Edit: At the end of the chapter, the doctor announces that Musashi is on TV.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 15, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 135 is out! (Korean scans)

K. Flaps called it! The Donald pissed himself after meeting Yujiro. :smugdon:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 19, 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Epic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hahahahhaha holy gently caress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I want the GREATEST OF AMERICA book

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Itakagi the best :allears:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I want the GREATEST OF AMERICA book

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The madman actually loving did it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reagan too lmao

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Quick update.

English translations of Baki Dou Chapter 134 are available here. This is just a rough version, the image quality is poor. Like we discussed earlier, it's a dialogue heavy chapter.

Also, in Chapter 135, when Yujiro meets Donald, he says: "Be done in under 3 minutes."

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

BIG LEAGUE update!

The amazing Onepenguin0 from Spinyback translated Chapter 135, where Donald Trump meets Yujiro for the first time.

Here's a link to the imgur album.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 25, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfoa

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Why isnt this the most popular manga out there people are stupid

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Macksy posted:

Why isnt this the most popular manga out there people are stupid

It's a good question. Personally, I'm a huge fan. The second series, New Grappler Baki, is my favorite manga. Some of the complaints about Grappler Baki include:

1. The author doesn't understand anatomy, therefore it is bad. People love to hate the manga because some of the characters are depicted with gigantic/super exaggerated muscles and body sizes.

2. "It looks like they're made out of bubble gum." Thankfully, the artwork has improved a ton over the years.

3. "The story seems like the author just makes it up as he goes along." People who think this aren't necessarily wrong, the author does tend to shift directions a lot. He's not afraid to ditch one story to pursue another.

4. "None of this makes any sense." Why can a guy stop an earthquake with his fist? (uh, arguably a positive, imo)

5. Pickle. People really hated Pickle, the T-Rex battling caveman character. And to be fair, Pickle was all over Son of Ogre, and his gimmick started to run dry.

6. Motobe. People hate Motobe, probably because he's smug as hell. I wouldn't say he's one of my favorite characters, either.

7. Exposure to the public outside of Japan. Without fan-made translations, it would be difficult to read this manga, because the author doesn't seem to market it internationally. In contrast, look at Dragon Ball, which has been adapted to many languages and marketed towards international readers, especially in the US.

8. The author is viewed as (generally) anti-American, and tends to glorify the Japanese, and Japanese culture, while making GBS threads on America. I'm American, and I don't care. I love when he goofs on the President.

9. Limited English translations of Grappler Baki, the first manga. On the bright side, Spinyback is slowly working their way through the series.

10. Limited animated adaptations of the series. I believe this one hurts the series, and limits the amount of incoming new fans. There was once a Baki anime, but it came out a long time ago, and it hasn't aged particularly well. Let's just say some episodes are much better than others. It's worth watching through once, but it's no Cowboy Bebop. However, on the positive side, there's a new Baki OAV coming out soon, so hopefully it'll gain some popularity.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are a few that I've noticed over the years. Wow, sorry for the long post, but it was a valid question.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 26, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Also the translation quality is terrible if you're the sort of nerd (like me) who cares about that sort of thing

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 108 is out!

AnonSpore posted:

Also the translation quality is terrible if you're the sort of nerd (like me) who cares about that sort of thing

Absolutely, yes. I'm gonna be biased, and claim that the Wild Fang Project is mostly to blame. They worked on the older Baki translations.

However, it was the only English translation I had access to for several years, so I'm grateful for that. Plus, they coined the phrase "The Strong is the Beautiful," which is wonderful. Some kind of translation is better than nothing, right? I grew to love their corny translations.

Wild Fang gave us some legendary one-liners, like: "Your favorite dessert... MASHED NUTS!" Maybe some of their bad translations ended up being great, whether they intended it or not.

In contrast, I think the translators at Spinyback care a lot. They're extremely passionate about the manga, and want to do a good job.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 26, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 136 (Korean scans) is out!

Another dialogue heavy chapter, Musashi is interviewed on TV and it doesn't go well.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh drat, that's a nasty scar

I'm curious about what pissed Musashi off so much

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

It's the faces. I promise you, it's the way he draws faces.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Jedah posted:

[*]Limited animated adaptations of the series. I believe this one hurts the series, and limits the amount of incoming new fans. There was once a Baki anime, but it came out a long time ago, and it hasn't aged particularly well. Let's just say some episodes are much better than others. It's worth watching through once, but it's no Cowboy Bebop. However, on the positive side, there's a new Baki OAV coming out soon, so hopefully it'll gain some popularity.

Good news on that front! In addition to the OVA, they're adapting the rest of New Grappler Baki into an anime!

Here's the link. I never thought I'd see this happen!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JfishPirate posted:

Good news on that front! In addition to the OVA, they're adapting the rest of New Grappler Baki into an anime!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

JfishPirate posted:

We did it everyone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

It's a good question. Personally, I'm a huge fan. The second series, New Grappler Baki, is my favorite manga. Some of the complaints about Grappler Baki include:

My feeling about Baki is that, while I certainly wouldn't consider it one of my all-time favorite mangas, I also can't imagine why anyone would dislike it. It's just fun and entertaining. Sort of reminds me of Zatch Bell, but with respect to fighting manga instead of shounen/comedy.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I have been waiting years for this moment.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This is awesome, just started reading Baki a month or two ago and it gets adapted. Feels good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am downloading the anime. I'm pretty excited to try this out.

E: First episode was pretty fine, I'm assuming Baki being a 13 year old redhead is the correct series?

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 29, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 109 is out!

JfishPirate posted:

Nice, I'm very excited to see how this turns out! Also, the Spinyback team has shown interest in translating the new animated series, so I'll keep you guys updated.

Thoren posted:

I have been waiting years for this moment.

I hear ya. To see Hanayama vs. Speck animated... it will bring a tear to my eye!! Can't wait. I desperately hope the new anime doesn't get the 2016 Berserk treatment. The trailer looks good, so that's positive.

Ytlaya posted:

My feeling about Baki is that, while I certainly wouldn't consider it one of my all-time favorite mangas, I also can't imagine why anyone would dislike it. It's just fun and entertaining. Sort of reminds me of Zatch Bell, but with respect to fighting manga instead of shounen/comedy.

Exactly. The series is just fun and entertaining. The author has a sense of humor, and you can tell he's having a good time writing this stuff. And now I need to check out Zatch Bell, thanks for mentioning that. :)

EmmyOk posted:

I am downloading the anime. I'm pretty excited to try this out.
E: First episode was pretty fine, I'm assuming Baki being a 13 year old redhead is the correct series?

Awesome! Glad to hear you're giving it a shot. Yup, Baki is the 13 year old redhead. Episodes 3 and 4 are very cool, and a nice introduction to the series. Baki has his first "real" fight and it's badass.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 29, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neat! Seems like some fun at the very least! Baki just showed off on the heavybag and I guess he's going to spar with the welterweight champion next. I'm also curious to see the person mentioned by the mob boss when he was asked by the man in glasses about the toughest gangster around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jedah posted:

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are a few that I've noticed over the years.

11. Yujiro. Not so much that readers don't like him, but that the author loving adores him, to the point that some downright horrific acts (like murdering Baki's mom) are presented in an uncomfortably sympathetic light (he murdered her with love).