Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MythosDragon posted:

So I know this is probably embarrassingly stupid, but I'm pretty new to forums in general, much less using them to write giant updates about playing a game while linking like a hundred images. I understand how BBcode and smilies work, but are there any quality of life tricks I should know, like a way to write :Character Name: to have a sprite for transcribing text?

First off, use Notepad++ or something else to write updates and then copy/paste them into the post field so you don't lose everything when something bad happens (even though the forums will auto-save partial posts now, it's kinda risky).

As for processes, here's an updated version of something I'd paste a lot when this question came up. Needs a bit cleaning up, but overall it should be a good starting process.

quote:

My Full Process:

1. Record footage using the emulator's AVI recording function, or OBS/Shadowplay/FRAPS/Hypercam 2 if it has none/a crappy one.

2. Use AvsPmod to take screenshots, using AviSynth to resize/crop where appropriate. Trim functions are useful for making GIFs (I use "Save Image Sequence" in a separate folder and drop all the images in GIF Movie Gear, though GifCam and GoonCam are much better alternatives these days since they're actually free) and for making supplemental videos (after I resize to over 720p because Youtube is finicky as hell) to stick into MeGUI.

3. Use Irfanview to rename all my images to 001, 002, 003, etc. Also to convert PNGs to JPGs if the files are large (which they usually are for 3D games). If you're gonna have a mix of animated GIFs and JPGs, I recommend renaming everything to a separate folder, sorting that folder by file type, then selecting all PNGs only and convert them to JPG in your output folder, then move the GIFs manually.

4. Write my update in Notepad ++ with images open in Windows Photo Viewer or Irfanview (which will play animated GIFs), using placeholders for images and characters. [001] for image one, [char1] for Character 1, and so on. If you have characters with multiple faces, FaceCopy may be more convenient and less of a headache to use for characters instead. I also throw in music and video links where appropriate. Notepad's also fine, but Notepad ++ lets me create and use macros to save a bit of time (I set Ctrl/Shift + I to add italic tags, for instance).

5. Upload everything to LPix using Rightload.

6. Save the Rightload links in a different text file, then use Admiral H. Curtiss's wonderful RightloadUrlAutoReplace to do the tedious work of copying and pasting images for me. It's a great idea to keep your character portrait links in this same text file so they get automatically replaced every time you do an update

7. Preview in my topic (Right click - Paste as Plain Text will avoid stuff like auto-adding image and url tags, which can be handy as hell) to make sure everything looks good. When I'm happy, I post.

8. Bask in the glory of my life's greatest works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a similar workflow I developed by hand that uses a bunch of Perl scripts and works on OSX, with the caveat that you need to have a webserver running on your local computer because I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do file uploads except via URL. Generate screenshots -> name screenshots 001, 002, etc. -> upload screenshots -> download screenshot URLs from lpix -> insert URLs into update text. It's pretty hokey because I never really intended it to be used by anyone else, but if anyone's interested in trying to hack on it, let me know and I'll see if I can put something together.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Wow, thats alot more work than I thought it was. I honestly thought there was some kind of dedicated LP program I wasnt aware of where you had slots for portraits and could add images easily and then just copy paste it here. Really makes you more thankful for all the work you guys have put in. Thanks for the advice Mega64, I'm gonna give it a try.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The first person to put together a comprehensive SSLP program that handles all that will be a hero, and will get basically no business because all of us have established workflows and we don't want to change or break anything. :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

MythosDragon posted:

Wow, thats alot more work than I thought it was. I honestly thought there was some kind of dedicated LP program I wasnt aware of where you had slots for portraits and could add images easily and then just copy paste it here. Really makes you more thankful for all the work you guys have put in. Thanks for the advice Mega64, I'm gonna give it a try.

I did make a tool to quickly copy portraits at some point: https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/FaceCopy

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
RightloadUrlAutoReplace made my SSLPs infinitely less painful to produce, and FaceCopy looks like it'd be pretty helpful too.

Thanks for your contributions to LP, Curtiss. :thumbsup:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Artix posted:

The first person to put together a comprehensive SSLP program that handles all that will be a hero, and will get basically no business because all of us have established workflows and we don't want to change or break anything. :v:

It’ll just be an avisynth script.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

It may have taken me nearly all day, and basically hiring my friend to do all the heavy lifting for me, but I got all of these programs working and ready. Thanks Mega64 for the guidelines and thanks Admiral H. Curtiss for the wonderful programs that will probably take 50% of the tediousness out of this.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Listen to Mega64 and Admiral H. Curtiss. I've all of my SSLPs by manually taking the screenshots and manually copy/pasting portraits in threads.

I have wasted so much of my time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Listen to Mega64 and Admiral H. Curtiss. I've all of my SSLPs by manually taking the screenshots and manually copy/pasting portraits in threads.

I have wasted so much of my time.

:magical:

Do you write your updates directly into the new-post page, so that if you accidentally close the browser window, you lose all your work?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yes.

And it happened. I occasionally copy/pasted what I had into a Notepad file and saved it, but really I should've been asking how other people were doing it because I made way too much work for myself.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I havnt had much of a chance to use the programs yet due to not needing many images in the OP. But yeah I can see how these can be useful, and I've already developed a tendency to spam the test poster to make sure everything is working right so I'm basically going between that notepad++ to write. Though right now I feel that if I take too many images and only need a quarter of them for the final update, it seems easier to do it manually. Unfortunately my source for the portraits in the game had a 2nd tier Character's corrupted(Major NPC you see alot) and well theres over 300 portraits total between the 40 characters, so I've chosen to uh just use the default one usually, but Facecopy still seems indispensable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FaceCopy's great if you're going to use multiple portraits for one character or have a bunch of nameless NPCs or whatever, but if you're doing one portrait per character I find it easier to keep all the portrait URLs in the same text files you'll put your image links and use tags like [character1] and [character2] so RightloadURLAutoReplace can take care of it all for me.

But then what's easier for me is not easier for everyone, so if FaceCopy works better for you definitely use it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Now that you mention it yeah, that probably does work better. One of the characters in the game has 27 portraits alone, and the only difference between most of them is the level of eye scrunching and blush.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Anybody using a Yeti Blue would mind posting their settings? I'm playing with the Gain and Windows Input Levels but it still picks up way too much noise and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Furism posted:

Anybody using a Yeti Blue would mind posting their settings? I'm playing with the Gain and Windows Input Levels but it still picks up way too much noise and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

The Yeti is just super sensitive, there's not much you can do about it. I have the gain all the way down and on cardioid and I still can't record while I have the washing machine or dishwasher or oven range fan on. The best you can really do is a wind screen, pop filter, and a mic stand so it doesn't pick up bumps as easily. After that, audacity/audition noise removal is your friend.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Furism posted:

Environmental noise or electric noise?

The only counter to environmental noise is to remove the noise sources, or close the distance between your mouth and the mic.

Electrical noise can be caused by interference, or it can be the natural level present in the equipment due to the components used and their quality. Sometimes interference-caused noise can be countered by using a better cable, connecting audio device to a different USB port, checking that mains-powered devices are properly grounded, avoiding or using different USB hubs. Noise in audio signals input or output from USB devices can be caused by poor quality power over the USB, causing the device to perform poorly.
If you're down to the natural base noise (slight hissing, usually) being significant in your recordings, it means your signal is too weak, and you need to close the distance between mic and mouth, or even just speak louder.

Apart from that, set input level in software as high as possible that isn't amplifying the base signal. Real audio software will have a level setting that goes from negative infinite dB up to typically +10 or +20 dB, set that at zero.
Then adjust gain on the hardware to get an acceptable level.
If this gives electrical noise, up the gain on hardware and lower in software, until the noise is sufficiently low.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Furism posted:

I have it set to cardoid and gain is about 40%. Got myself a shock mount, mic stand and pop filter, though. The Yeti was practically useless without them, because any little vibration would get turned into hecka noise.

As other people mention, though. If you're picking up environmental noise then there's not much you can do other than try to get rid of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The short and technical version is that you can never really remove all noise, what you can do is improve the signal/noise ratio, by making sure the signal you want is louder than the noise you don't want. Then you will hear proportionately less of the noise.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
If all you're dealing with is electrical or minor background static or even fan noise then running it through a de-noising pass in your audio editor of choice should be able to help with even the most egregious examples of consistent noise, ideally you'd want a dedicated commentary track for that though, I'm not sure how a gameplay session's audio would be affected by a generic de-noise pass or even one that takes a sample to work from.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So I'm trying to encode a video with ffmpeg, the problem is that my source video is 4:3, which means its resolution is 1400x1050. Naturally this means Youtube won't enable 1080p for it, so naturally I want to upscale it a few pixels so that it will. This is the script I'm using:

code:
ffmpeg -hwaccel dxva2 -probesize 50000000 -i frameserver.avs -c:v libx264 -crf 10 -pix_fmt yuv444p10le -r 60 -vf scale=-1:1080 -c:a copy -y %1 
but using that, it doesn't actually scale the video it just puts small letterboxing at the top and bottom

what am I doing wrong exactly?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Why don't you just add a Spline36Resize() into the avs script? Pixel Ratios will be ignored by youtube anyway, it treats whatever you upload as 1:1

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't letterboxing be preferable to stretching the image, anyway?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Especially considering how close it is to 1080: yes, it would.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Up-scaling isn't the same thing as stretching, for one. For two no tiny rear end letterboxes aren't preferable since they're incredibly distracting and not at all necessary.

Mico posted:

Why don't you just add a Spline36Resize() into the avs script? Pixel Ratios will be ignored by youtube anyway, it treats whatever you upload as 1:1
Putting the scale command in the .avs script just did the same thing, and besides the script is just a frameserver so I'd prefer to keep it as clean as possible and use ffmpeg scripts for any post-processing instead.

e: turns out I am a complete moron and the letterboxing was an issue originating in my editing program due to slightly incorrect cropping so I made myself crazy trying to fix this issue for zero reason. I'm so loving cool.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 28, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Furism posted:

What you're doing wrong is assuming that because you're using a very good microphone you won't have to clean it up in Audacity or somesuch anyway.

Blue Yetis aren't magic, they just give you superb raw material to work with.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Lady Naga posted:

Up-scaling isn't the same thing as stretching, for one. For two no tiny rear end letterboxes aren't preferable since they're incredibly distracting and not at all necessary.

What exactly do you think up-scaling is if it isn't stretching?

If your video is 1400x1050 that means it's just 40x30 pixels off the 1440x1080 4:3 that YouTube does support. Which means you'd need a letterbox of 20 pixels on the left and right and 15 on the top and bottom. (That 15 is actually a problem, since it's odd: better would be to split it 14/16 or something along those lines.)

If you instead opt to stretch the video to be 1440x1080 you're going to add a subtle blur. "Up-scaling" algorithms are all stretch algorithms that are designed to reduce that blur in some way, but they'll never be as sharp as simply not stretching the image.

In any case the default ffmpeg scaling algorithm is probably a bilinear scale (the documents don't bother saying what it is, but it's the first algorithm listed) which is one of the most basic scaling algorithms and essentially does nothing to try and preserve sharpness.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

I have it set to cardoid and gain is about 40%. Got myself a shock mount, mic stand and pop filter, though. The Yeti was practically useless without them, because any little vibration would get turned into hecka noise.

As other people mention, though. If you're picking up environmental noise then there's not much you can do other than try to get rid of it.

What shock mount and stand did you end up getting? I've got mine on a stage stage that goes over my desk and monitors and pointed at me but off to the side. It's a little unwieldy at the moment.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xenoveritas posted:

What exactly do you think up-scaling is if it isn't stretching?

If your video is 1400x1050 that means it's just 40x30 pixels off the 1440x1080 4:3 that YouTube does support. Which means you'd need a letterbox of 20 pixels on the left and right and 15 on the top and bottom. (That 15 is actually a problem, since it's odd: better would be to split it 14/16 or something along those lines.)

If you instead opt to stretch the video to be 1440x1080 you're going to add a subtle blur. "Up-scaling" algorithms are all stretch algorithms that are designed to reduce that blur in some way, but they'll never be as sharp as simply not stretching the image.

In any case the default ffmpeg scaling algorithm is probably a bilinear scale (the documents don't bother saying what it is, but it's the first algorithm listed) which is one of the most basic scaling algorithms and essentially does nothing to try and preserve sharpness.

ffmpeg has multiple scaling algorithms, including bicubic, lanczos, spline, bilinear...
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-scaler.html#sws_005fflags

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 28, 2016

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

YamiNoSenshi posted:

What shock mount and stand did you end up getting? I've got mine on a stage stage that goes over my desk and monitors and pointed at me but off to the side. It's a little unwieldy at the moment.

I got this arm RODE PSA1 and a Blue Radius II shock mount.

Very happy with the arm but I'm iffy on the shock mount. I'm sure there's better varieties out there (but they didn't seem to ship to :sweden: when I looked). It makes a WORLD of difference compared to being on a stand, though. At low gain settings I get barely any unwanted noise.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Lady Naga posted:

ffmpeg has multiple scaling algorithms, including bicubic, lanczos, spline, bilinear...
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-scaler.html#sws_005fflags

Yes, I know - the issue is that they don't say which one gets picked if you don't say which one you want it to use. What's the default algorithm used? Who knows, they don't say.

I expect it's "fast_bilinear" because that's a reasonable default and what you probably want when scaling down, which appears to be the intended use of the video scaler. (And it makes sense if you're doing something like YouTube does where you have multiple resolutions for multiple devices.)

The problem is bilinear is terrible when scaling up, and for small scales like the one in question (increasing the resolution by about 3% in both directions) you're basically guaranteed to just make the image quality look worse, and there's no good reason to not just letterbox it. No one is going to notice a border that small in any case, and it will preserve (as best as possible) image quality.

Besides, it's smaller than the "unsafe area" outside the "action safe area" anyway.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's everybody's trick to not record the mouse clicks? Short of playing with a heavy sheet/blanket over your mouse. My Yeti just picks every little noise up, which is expected, but I'd like to make clicks a little more discreet.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Furism posted:

What's everybody's trick to not record the mouse clicks? Short of playing with a heavy sheet/blanket over your mouse. My Yeti just picks every little noise up, which is expected, but I'd like to make clicks a little more discreet.

Best answer: Post-commentary.

Next best: Don't talk when you're clicking, edit the clicks out in post.

Failing that, I use a commercial click repair program that can help eliminate the click noises without hurting the rest of the audio too much.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Furism posted:

You can use a noisegate on your recorder of choice to a certain extent, but it will stick pick up the sound if you are talking and clicking. It's probably easier in most cases to go with Nidoking's advice

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Furism posted:

Get a quieter mouse, move the microphone, or use something like audacity to try to remove the unwanted clicks: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/click_removal.html

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'm not very good at post-recording commentary so I'll try to edit out the clicks.

Nidoking posted:

Failing that, I use a commercial click repair program that can help eliminate the click noises without hurting the rest of the audio too much.

What program do you use? I already bought Reaper so if you know of a good VST plugin to do that that'd be great.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Furism posted:

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'm not very good at post-recording commentary so I'll try to edit out the clicks.

I was concerned about this at first, but eventually I found that it doesn't really matter all that much if you have the mic closer to your face than the mouse and get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Also, the game audio tends to drown any minor clicks and the like out, I find.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Besides, sometimes it can actually be helpful to the viewer to hear the mouse clicks, it can make it more obvious what's going on.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've poked around and didn't see any answers to this... Is there a way to bulk move images uploaded to LPix from one LPix directory to another (on the same account, of course)? Or do I get to move them one by one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I've poked around and didn't see any answers to this... Is there a way to bulk move images uploaded to LPix from one LPix directory to another (on the same account, of course)? Or do I get to move them one by one?

There's a massmove PHP script (I think it's lpix.org/massmove.php, but I don't have my scripts handy), where you give it the directory ID to move to and a list of image IDs to move. I don't know if there's a user-friendly way to access that script (instead of hand-inserting image IDs into the URL).