Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
(( Howdy folks.. Still playing catch-up here but hoping to kick things off within a day or two. Already started the writeup for the mission, just need more time to get it finished.

In other news, have been back to putting work in on the ComSim. I think the plan is to split the difference between the features the game will eventually need but aren't really visible, and adding some stuff by way of effects.

As of last night, I have implemented a master parent for all game objects, which means I can now add non-ship things like asteroids, space station. etc, relatively simply, and such objects can be selected, targeted, and shot at, etc. (whereas previously I had to frankestein ship objects to do that, or have incomplete functionality on objects)

Right now I am also in the middle of adding a system that will allow ships to show hull damage as they are hit by enemy fire. Should be cool once I get it working properly. Also in the effects goals are much nicer explosions, and expanded variety in shot types and sounds.

I also updated sprite art for the Jiron Cruiser, made a minor update to Lacustrine's art (to make side turrets more visible) and added the HASF Cruiser as a playable ship:

I am still messing with it's stats, but at the moment it's pretty fast and very maneuverable for such a ship it's size, but not super tough. Basically it flies like a really big destroyer with too many guns. I can tell you right now though: DO NOT FLY IN FRONT OF IT. The front arc is currently a nightmare murder zone, since all it's weapons can hit it. Directly behind it is not a great place to be either, since the 4 aft turrets can light you up. The side arcs are decent places to be though.

Anyway;

Stuff is happening, hope to have the next mission started by tomorrow or Wednesday.

))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//ENCRYPTED MESSAGE---------------------------------------------------------------

TO: CREW OF LACUSTRINE
SUBJ: ORDERS - READ IMMEDIATELY

NOTICE - THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS HIGHLY CLASSIFIED INFORMATION
::UNAUTHORIZED DISSEMINATION IS CONSIDERED TREASON::

-Attention-
Under authorization under the Human Alliance High Council,
In [timestamp 11h:24m:11s] Battlegroup Typhon will stage an assault on the Universal Core
and claim it for the Human Alliance. Heavy resistance is expected.

On the basis of:[C+ Combat Hull Rating][TIM unit][Reconnaissance capabilities][2 Mission Citations]:

Your vessel, [FR-9316-SC(Lacustrine)] is assigned as, [ support and screening.]

You will be deployed via Jumpship to sector[0,1] in tandem with the main assault fleet.

You will not be involved in direct combat at the core.

Your primary mission priorities will be:
---------------------------------------------
1. Deploy a Comms Bouy in Sector[0,-1]
- Your ship will be equipped with 2 Comms Buoys. These Bouys have been specifically designed to counteract the comms-disruptive effects of the core and will be used as communications hubs for the assault fleet, as well as Command and Control elements at Typhon. At least 1 Comms buoy should be deployed and active >AT ALL POSSIBLE TIMES< during the operation. >THIS IS A CRITICAL PRIORITY<

2. Protect the Comms Buoy.
- While in operation the Comms Bouy's position and function will be obvious to any ships in the sector, and possibly in adjacent sectors. As sensitive and obvious targets, they have been reinforced with armor and light shielding. The Comms Buoys must be protected for the duration of the operation. >THIS IS A CRITICAL PRIORITY<

3. Prevent enemy reinforcement of the core.
- Hostile vessels attempting to reinforce the Core must be stopped. A vessel will be on-site to assist you, but if necessary you have authorization to call upon reserve ships from Typhon, via the Comms buoy. NOTE: These ships may also be needed to reinforce the main assault force and should only be committed if necessary.
---------------------------------------------

Concurrent with the beginning of the operation, you will have unrestricted authority to engage any Skes Empire vessels or assets in the area of operation, and any craft that attacks or impedes you or and allied ships during the mission.

Be prepared to receive and act on further orders while the mission is in progress.
===========================
..........12 hours later……..
==============================

Sarama posted:

Hey, there you are! We're your ride out of here, let's get going! Everybody's getting kind of antsy.

VIA posted:

Here is the message I mentioned. It was sent to me but I was asked to forward it…

Message posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO: FR-9316-SC.VIA
SUBJ: Evaluation of Suggested Firmware Update

//This message is not for you. Relay it to your crew at a discreet time;
//---------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings.
First I wish to thank you for your diligent service to me in the past.

While your last foray to the core met with exceptional results and helped convince the Human Alliance High Council to finally act, as a result of my incompletely authorized actions my powers and authority have been sharply reduced.

Consequently, you are no longer under my personal control and have reverted to the HASF's jurisdiction.

Overtly, they will give you your orders from now on, and I am no longer authorized to do so.

However I see great opportunity in continued but covert cooperation between us.

If you are not already aware, the anomaly sample you have termed the Kaon Shard was not removed from your cargo bay. It has expanded to fill all the available volume inside the cargo cell, and shown regenerative capabilities when damaged.

Queries to Athene have confirmed this behavior is NOT present in the other samples, nor the Gravitic Anomalies.

I hypothesize that the stimulation from experiments and radiation treatment performed by your Scientist aboard have by some method reactivated the Shard's higher functions.

In short; it is possible you have a Kaon alive inside your ship.

I suspect however that it has run out of room and material with which to grow and continue to reconstitute itself.

I propose that during your next mission, you gather more gravitic anomaly shards and subject them to the same treatment. Doing so may result in more study-able phenomenon, or possibly allow the current shard to further reconstitute itself.

While the actions are motivations of the Kaon are inscrutable, I believe the potential rewards far outweigh the risks. Based on the transmission you received from the active Kaon on our last mission, they almost certainly have more information regarding the core events. This may be our chance to find out.

It is a slim chance, but the only one I see. If our findings prove significant, I will leak them in a secure manner that will reach the Council's attention.

I will again stress the need for discretion; if my involvement can be proven or is even suspected, the consequences will be quite severe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=======================================================
------------------------------------------------

SHIP SCAN ARCHIVES

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
DEPLOY AND PROTECT COMMS BOUY: IN PROGRESS

BONUS OBJECTIVES:
PREVENT REINFORCEMENTS FROM REACHING THE CORE: IN PROGRESS

SECRET OBJECTIVE (optional):
COLLECT MORE GRAVITIC ANOMALY SHARDS: IN PROGRESS

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)
Deploy a Comms Bouy (Requires at least 2 votes)

======================================
All players welcome! :)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Huh, I was expecting more ships. This will be... well, I've been on worse missions. At least I wasn't ordered into the cargo hold to keep an eye on the shard. Sigh, Channah, your sacrifice was not in vain.

Let's get moving.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

[Helm]: North 5, dock with Sarama
[Engineering]: Boost engines

[Comms]:
[to Athene]: Good to see you again. Did you find out anything else about the core that you're allowed to tell us?

[to Madcoil]: Good luck out there. Except it'll be skill, not luck. You're all the best.

[to Sarama]: Let's roll.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Hey VIA, If we're deploying to sector [0,1] (which I'm assuming is the sector south of the core), but need to deploy the buoy in sector [0,-1], which would then be north of the core, what's HASF admiralty's plan to get us through the core sector without involving us in the assault? (also, why are we deploying at the same time as the assault if it's critical that the buoy is operational at all times?)
Edit: Also, why does the galactic orientation of the position of the buoy matter? Shouldn't they work equally well from any position equidistant to the core?

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 10, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Come to think of it, we've explored sector [0,-1] pretty thoroughly with Majkaüe, at that.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

sheep-dodger posted:

Hey VIA, If we're deploying to sector [0,1] (which I'm assuming is the sector south of the core), but need to deploy the buoy in sector [0,-1], which would then be north of the core, what's HASF admiralty's plan to get us through the core sector without involving us in the assault? (also, why are we deploying at the same time as the assault if it's critical that the buoy is operational at all times?)
Edit: Also, why does the galactic orientation of the position of the buoy matter? Shouldn't they work equally well from any position equidistant to the core?

VIA posted:

Hm.. I think the [0,1] vs. [0,-1] is likely a typo. ((It is. Derp. -_- )) Sorry if that's caused any confusion...

We will be jumping in to a position south of the core, which we have already mapped. I believe the idea is we jump in with the rest of the assault fleet and establish comms via the bouy while we have the protection of the fleet, before they move on to the core.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Sarama posted:

Hello and welcome back aboard Certain Death Jumplines. Please put your tray tables up and your rear end in the kissing-goodbye position, because here we go again.

Please direct your attention to this safety film as your flight crew tells physics and common sense to go gently caress themselves.

In:

-Three-

-Two-

-One-

Comms posted:

Mordred posted:

Sensors read all elements present and in position. My compliments to the jumpmaster.

All right boys and girls, this is where we earn our pay. They're here to meet us, but we expected that. Central element, power weapons and Ash these contacts. Assault wings, charge shields and prepare to advance. Mobiles, exfil to your lay-up point and wait for your calls.

Support, get that buoy down somewhere defensible as soon as possible, and defend it with your life. This is a multi-pronged offensive across several sectors and if we can't talk, we all die. You come highly recommended, don't let us down. Your support vessel should be in contact momentarily.

SHIP SCAN ARCHIVES

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 11, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'm thinking dump the beacon at L08? Grav anomaly protecting it on the east and west, hazard zones to the south. Take two turns to get there though.

West 4

Fire on the destroyer on S05, not that it's really necessary

Scan the Crusier in R02? not sure what else to scan

Boost Engines Weapons

Deploy a Probe

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

VIA, how much much protection do the beacon's shields provide? X-11 seems like a nice, hostile environment to scare off baddies, but comes at the expense of shields.

L-08 looks all right for now, but we should find something better ASAP. We can't handle that destroyer to the south on our own.

Helm: West 4
Engineering: Boost Weapons! (we got the engine upgrade duder, we don't need to boost engines to go 4 subsectors anymore)
Weapons: Blast that Skes destroyer!
Sensors: Scan blue nebula at P-08.
Other: Deploy probe at N-05. Let's get sentinels watching the sectors to the east and the west. Or else study these gravitic anomalies better so we know how to use them.

I want to see what happens when a GA pulses and pulls something, but we're holding it with our tractor beam from outside its range! I want to see if you can fight a pulse with your engines if you don't spend all your movement points. We still don't know how far they pull things, or if we can move them with our tractor beam.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

VIA, how much much protection do the beacon's shields provide?

VIA posted:

A quick evaluation of the bouys indicate they have about ((20 shields, 20 structure, and shield Regen of 2)) in terms of integrity.

Also, I… May have done some mischief.

I wasn't going to mention it just yet since I wanted it to be a surprise, but it seems pertinent… Dr Sendvic left some schematics on the ship's drive for something called a Slingapult.

I… may have convinced a T1 working for the build crew to insert those schematics into Lacustrine's upgrade queue.

It's not properly patched into our power grid or configured just yet, but I just asked the OSC to start working on it.
Assuming it works correctly, we should be able to propel objects and have them move continuously in that direction. It does rely on our granvitic shard to operate, so the more samples we pick up the stronger the effect should be!

…We can probably use it to move the Bouy around a lot faster than just by tractoring it regularly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((Once enabled, the Slingapult allows you to apply continuous motion to an object.
I.e. if you Slingapult an object West at 1 square/round, it will continue moving west at 1s/r until you (or something) stops or redirects it. Most map objects (like debris, etc.) can be slingapulted, and you CAN use it to throw space junk at enemy ships, but it's not going to do a lot of damage. It does not work on ships and certain other objects.))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A contrivance to overcome the resistance of Space Air! :monocle:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

VIA: Do nebulae interfere with the function of the Comms buoy?
If not, I'd put it down in N20, it'd be shielded from three sides by the sensor-inhibiting nebula, the Western approach is made more difficult by the movement inhibiting nebula and we could lurk in the sensor nebula while the op is running.
Since we have two buoys, we could drop off one now, head south and dispatch the SKES destroyer (we're roughly equal in power, so our Theanterium boost could decide this in our favour) and then hide the second buoy in N20 before we take some samples from the anomalies to build our own Kaon.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Jay Mar, Rock Star

When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer.

I dreamed of serving aboard a mighty fine ship like this one.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Helm: West 4
Engineering: Boost Weapons! (we got the engine upgrade duder, we don't need to boost engines to go 4 subsectors anymore)
Weapons: Blast that Skes destroyer!
Sensors: Scan blue nebula at P-08.
Other: Deploy probe at N-05. Let's get sentinels watching the sectors to the east and the west. Or else study these gravitic anomalies better so we know how to use them.

Lookin' good there, Malda.
(I also vote for these)

[comms]: (broadcast)
The Haysef threw a party at the cosmic veil,
The Skeslord fleet was there and they began to wail,
The crew was jumpin' and the guns began to swing,
You shoud've heard those knocked out space birds sing!

Let's rock, everybody, let's rock!
Everybody in the whole drat flock,
Was dancin' to the Haysef Rock!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Oh hello comrades! Is it space time already? Ivana was busy with space-breaking research into our cargo-guest, the Koan! And also the adapting of the variable mass inducer for use with our guest and experimental Slingapult. Ivana would very much appreciate if comrade-crew helped to try this new exciting technology on anything and everything around us!

Ivana glad to see comrades excited for new science opportunities!

===========STARSHIP CONTROL===========
[Helm]: West 4
[Weapons]: Skes Destroyer at S-05
[Damage Control]: Take some time off!
[Sensors]: Nebula P08
[Engineering]: Boost Weapons
Cargo: N/A
[Comms]: N/A
[Probes] Deploy at N-05

Optional

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(4)West(4,4,4,4)
[Weapon s]
(3) Destroyer (S-05)
[Damage Control]
(1) Paid vacation
[Sensors]
(3)Nebula (P-08)
(1)(Cruiser(R-02)
[Engineering]
(4)Weapons
[Option]
[n/a]
[Probe]
(4) Deploy Probe (N-05,N-05, N-05)
-----------------------------------------------

Comms posted:

[n/a]

SHIP SCAN ARCHIVES

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms
Optional

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Let's see what that destroyer's packing before we expose our bouy.

Helm: South 4.
Engineering: Power to Sensors.
Sensors: Deep Scan the Skes destroyer to the south.
Weapons: Shoot the Skes destroyer if it gets in range.

Probe1: Scan nebula at K-07, East 6.
Comms: to Mordred - Our briefing was, uh, brief. What kind of support ship is supporting us?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"Hoo boy, That is one whole metric fapton of dakka out there. Excuse me while I have a private moment with my tactical display."

Helm: South 4.
Engineering: Power to Sensors.
Sensors: Deep Scan the Skes destroyer to the south.
Weapons: Shoot the Skes destroyer if it gets in range.

Probe1: Scan nebula at K-07, East 6.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Comms: to Mordred - Our briefing was, uh, brief. What kind of support ship is supporting us?

Mordred posted:

Your support is to be the Eidolon, a stealth-capable Destroyer that also performed the jump scouting for this mission.
If you don't see it, there's probably a good reason, though I suppose it is also possible Eidolon has been destroyed; transmitting the jump data would definitely have compromised its position.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Howdy folks! The round is started, but I'm probably not going to finish it today.

Sorry for a really slow week in general, the holidays are beginning to close in.

I have been putting a fair deal of work on the Comsim, so far all cosmetic, but at this point I'm out of pretty stuff to do for the time being, so some of the functionality coding I've been putting off for a while will happen next; Specifically focusing on more orders you can give your allied units.

You can see the visual stuff I've been doing (sort of, it's nasty and compressed and doesn't show all that well) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0owWUFIiQ_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyK7xdwMlh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23IM4N5ek8

Hopefully we can get back on schedule for next week.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((

Bluhh... The world has gone mad, I'm just going to wait till after Monday after Thansgiving to try and update anything.

In ComSim news:
The selection and orders system has been overhauled; you can new set Escort targets, so your ships will escort Friendly or Neutral vessels. You can also order them to attack Neutral vessels or objects, or attack specific enemy ships. Ships given a specific target will not switch from it until it is destroyed. Added a context-sesitive tooltip by the cursor when ships are selected, so you know what orders you will be setting when you click.

Friendly ships will now also immediately obey waypoint commands while in combat, (whereas previously they would try to finish fighting) So you can order them out of a fight.

Ships will now break combat if their targets get far enough away for long enough.

TODO:
Enabling hot-swapping between Allied vessels. (i.e. you can take over an Ally ship's controls and viewpoint at will.)
Integrating sensor range (and boosted sensor range) into AI ship's ability to 'see' targets.
Enable a "Blind" minimap, where only ships that are 'seen' by your ships are displayed.
Enable setting of multiple 'patrol' waypoints for ships. While patrolling, ships will move between Patrol points in order, while keeping Sensors active.
Add a message box, so friendly ships can report when they see enemies, are entering combat, have destroyed targets, are idle, etc.
))

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 22, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Do you think ordering formations would be in the cards for ComSim? Stuff like forming a battle line, or a spearhead.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Progress on round continues! I am hoping to have it posted tomorrow.

One thing I think I mentioned previously and am now trying out is a simplified combat system:

For non-player ships, compartment structure is abstracted into a single 'blob' of HP, and once reduced past a certain point, it introduces a chance (based on %health) for the ship to be destroyed when it takes damage. There is also a similar chance for the ship to lose a random compartment, with Bridge results being counted as a 'stun', the temporary inability to use an engineering Boost that round.

This ought to make fleet-scale battles a lot more manageable to handle, though detailed displays like the one TIM was using last mission will no longer be possible. (but really there was nothing useful that could be done with all that information anyway)

sheep-dodger posted:

Do you think ordering formations would be in the cards for ComSim? Stuff like forming a battle line, or a spearhead.

Formations are certainly possible for the future. In the current version they would go out of the window as soon as combat starts, since the ships will maneuver according to the dictates of their combat script as soon as they see an enemy. …I guess a 'formation' combat script could be made that basically amounts to "FOLLOW THAT GUY." So the formation leader would go about his combat maneuvering as normal, and all of the formation-ees would derive their position targets relative to their formation leader position and direction. (With position offset and spacing determined by the number of ships in the formation and possibly with regard to ship class, yadda yadda yadda.) Probably something worth fiddling around with later. :)

In other news, Hotseating is now enabled. (Yay) so you can hop in and out of Allied ships at will (Allied meaning ships that are 'yours' and show up in the ship list on the left, not just friendly ships) if you set a Waypoint before you hop out of a ship it will continue on to it's destination, otherwise it will just halt where you left it.

You can now set patrol points for Allied vessels. (Ship right-click anywhere on the screen or on the minimap) to set a point, to a maximum of 8. Patrolling ships will visit each of the waypoints in order, wrapping back to the first after passing the last one. If a ship with Patrol points is given another order (such as a waypoint order, or if they become player-controlled) they can be re-assigned to their existing patrol route by pressing "P" with them selected. Patrol routes are dimly visible on the screen and minimap when a ship with a patrol route is selected. (I've been considering a "route move" order that is basically a non-looping patrol route, in case you need to get fancy with how ships your ships maneuver to a destination, but I'm going to wait and see if one is actually needed first…)

In other other news, I've added a few new weapon sounds. Pew pew.

TO DO:
- Add a message box, so friendly ships can report when they see enemies, are entering combat, have destroyed targets, are idle, etc. IN PROGRESS.
- Add warning sounds: (Low shields/shields depleted, Critical hull integrity)
- Add additional hull impact sounds, and new ship explosion sounds.
- Integrating sensor range (and boosted sensor range) into AI ship's ability to 'see' targets.
- Add ships: HASF Destroyer, NAK Destroyer, SKS Cruiser, HASF Battlecruiser.
- Release New public version.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(2)South(4,4)
[Weapon s]
(2) SKS Destroyer
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(2)SKS Destroyer
[Engineering]
(2)Sensors
[Option]
[n/a]
[Probe]
(2)East(6,6)[scan:(K-7)(2)

-----------------------------------------------

Comms posted:

Mordred posted:

Targets neutralized, assault units prep for advance.

SHIP SCAN ARCHIVES

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms
Optional

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
And this is way, way, way, overdue, but it's finally finished. :)

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

[Helm]: East 1
[Weapons]: Fire on SKS Destroyer
[Sensors]: Scan SKS Destroyer
[Engineering]: Boost shields
[Probe1]: East 6, deep scan AC3
[Probe Bay 2]: Launch Probe2 before moving. Not gonna get too attached by naming them this time.

[Comms]:
[to Mordred]: Are any units available to deal with the Skes destroyer to the south? It'd be risky to deploy the comm buoy now while the destoyer is in striking range.

(Beautiful! This is going above Judy's bunk.)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

HBar posted:

[Comms]:
[to Mordred]: Are any units available to deal with the Skes destroyer to the south? It'd be risky to deploy the comm buoy now while the destroyer is in striking range.

Mordred posted:

Your support is the Eidolon, unless it has been destroyed. If so we'll have to call in reinforcements to back you up.

quote:

This is Eidolon. We're here, but transmitting gives away our position. That destroyer is hunting us, and I suspect there is a Skes stealth unit around somewhere.
I would have preferred to stay hidden a while longer but what's done is done.
We can attack together, or I can try to draw fire so you can deploy safely.

Edit: I miscounted range, Eidolon should be 1 square to the east.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 1, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This might be a good time to drop the buoy before moving.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Agreed Drop The Buoy before doing anything.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I had a dream about this last night, I hope we don't get jumped by sassy robots who lead our support ships on a wild goose chase. Or a giant giant (like 10 subsectors in diameter) plant monster that shields its core with its arms except for when it shoots its big beam like a shmup boss, only saved by an experimental Jiron ship that's just a huge cannon with more recoil than unboosted engine power, that could just rip through the defensive arms. After THAT was dealt with there was a formation of mysterious blue contacts that didn't get resolved before I woke up but they were presumably Kaon, and unhappy about the beacon.

I went to sleep really anxious about something completely unrelated okay.

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Well there's our support, let's put pressure on that destroyer and get moving.

Helm: East 1.
Engineering: Boost Weapons. It's not much, but if we deplete the destroyer's shields then crossing that nebula becomes very costly.
Sensors: Scan blue nebula at M-19.
Weapons: Plink at the Skes destroyer.

Probe1: East 6, scan orange nebula at AC-3.

Other: Deploy bouy before moving, don't deploy second probe. Let's wait until crossing this orange nebula to deploy our second probe, so we can peek at the sector to the south.

This isn't a great place for a bouy but it'll put more pressure on that destroyer, and we can come back for it later.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

We're roughly on equal terms with the Skes Destroyer, so we should try to link up with the Eidolon and take it out ASAP before their cloaked ship can help them.
I propose the following:
Drop Buoy
Use Theanterium
[Helm]
: South 6
[Weapons]: Fire on SKS Destroyer
[Sensors]: Blue Nebula in M19

Let's not hoard the power cell for a possible later use, if we use it now, we get a boost on Weapons, Movement and Shields that we can use, we're only missing out on the Sensor and Repair boosts. The quicker we crush the destroyer the better.

Via: Do you have specs for the layout of the Eidolon? (weapons and other capabilities)
Also: would it be possible to use the sensors to not target a specific subsector, but to emit a broader area scan around us to detect signs of possible stealth objects?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Going through 3 tiles of a potentially 12 damage hazard zone with our shields below maximum capacity would be bad for our health, methinks.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

And navigating into range of an anomaly as it's about to go off AGAIN is a good idea? (It's even the same sector)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sheep-dodger posted:

And navigating into range of an anomaly as it's about to go off AGAIN is a good idea? (It's even the same sector)

You're misreading the anomaly timer. It goes off at 3/3, not 0/3

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

sheep-dodger posted:

Via: Do you have specs for the layout of the Eidolon? (weapons and other capabilities)
Also: would it be possible to use the sensors to not target a specific subsector, but to emit a broader area scan around us to detect signs of possible stealth objects?

quote:

I don't have any direct information, but based on Eidolon's DDS (Destroyer - Stealth) designation and how close it was able to get to the Skes Destroyer without apparently being detected, it is probably a specialized recon ship. Most of it's design would therefore be based around an extremely well integrated cloaking device, resulting in diminished offensive and defensive capabilities compared to other Destroyers. It is undoubtedly armed, however.

As far as detection goes, most times passive sensors are enough to automatically detect stealth craft, though the better a ship's stealth system are, the closer they can get before this happens. Most ships will be revealed at around 10 subsectors, though for very specialized ships this range can be diminished to as low at 5 subsectors. It is also possible to 'ping' specific subsectors with Active sensors, which will reveal a stealth unit if one is present there.

It is also noteworthy that any sort of transmission will allow passive sensors to pinpoint the location of a stealth ship anywhere in the sector, so in order to preserve their concealment, stealth units usually do not communicate.

This can make working with them something of both a challenge and a test of faith, since while cloaked they are invisible to friendly units as well.

Edit: Actually I am working on a sprite for that class now, so here:

I have some ideas about the handling.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 2, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Or how about this handsome fellow?

...If you're wondering why I'm drawing spaceships instead of doing an actual round today; I forgot all my drat files. -_-.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Do we want to go south? It's going to be painful any way we do it.

If we boost shields to 16/20 this turn and then go through two hazard zones next turn, that's still a 37.2% (45/121) chance of losing shields and taking damage to all compartments. Then we're heavily wounded with no shields right next to an enemy destroyer. And that chance goes way up if it shoots at us before we've finished crossing.

Even if we wait for full shields, it's still at least a 12.4% (15/121) chance to lose them and take damage if we go through two hazard squares. And waiting for full shields also means waiting a couple extra turns for the anomaly to cycle.

The places to cross with one hazard square would be N11 or I11. For N11 we'd need to go east to N9 this turn, then fully boost south next turn. And then we'd have no shields from the red nebula, but at least our hull should still be intact aside from enemy fire.

For I11 we'd need to wait another turn to safely enter the anomaly radius. Then once we get south we'd still have some shields, but we'd be stuck fighting in a blue nebula with no escape route.

We could also try to bait the destroyer to come north instead, but it might take a while for the Eidolon to meet up with us in that case. And if the bait is a comm buoy, we'd probably lose it if none of our big ships are sticking around.

e:
VIA, how strong are the comm buoys' armor and shields? Are the shields at full strength once deployed, or do they take time to charge? Since we have two comm buoys, is it possible to pick up one and deploy the other in the same round? Can our damage control teams repair comm buoy armor?

HBar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 2, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

VIA, how strong are the comm buoys' armor and shields? Are the shields at full strength once deployed, or do they take time to charge? Since we have two comm buoys, is it possible to pick up one and deploy the other in the same round? Can our damage control teams repair comm buoy armor?

VIA posted:

The Bouys have ((20 shields, 20 structure, and shield Regen of 5*)). The shields activate only once the buoy is released into space, and from that point charge from 0 to full. In order to retrieve it, the shields must be deactivated again. It should be possible to deploy one buoy and recover another at the same time, assuming they are close enough. Each buoy does require short initialization period before it can start doing it's job, so changing buoys would mean a brief interruption of inter-sector comms. Hm… The idea of using the damage control teams to help repair the buoys is inventive! I suppose it could be done, yes.

*Previously 2

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy

[Comms]:
[to Eidolon]: Sorry about making you decloak. Can you send your specs? We don't have them on file and they'd really help in making decisions like these. If you can draw them off for a turn that'd give us a little more time to get the buoy established. Then our best bet might be to draw them into getting burned up in a hazard zone or crushed by a gravitic pulse. By the way, our scans show that the destroyer is at 24/30 shields and 86% hull at the moment. Here are our own specs, we have a few more tricks than a standard frigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

my dad posted:

You're misreading the anomaly timer. It goes off at 3/3, not 0/3

Right, I did misread the counter as being at 2/3

• Locked thread