Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
if the Navy SEALS came to my office to teach us stuff I would probably attend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm a little miffed on the military thing after Ron "American ooo rah" Rivera decided the thing missing from the panthers this year was a randomly enforced dress code.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Cam should have just taken the field for the first snap anyway. For real, what's Ron gonna do except throw a miffy tantrum that ends up with him being fired?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm a little miffed on the military thing after Ron "American ooo rah" Rivera decided the thing missing from the panthers this year was a randomly enforced dress code.

If anything, enforcing petty bullshit that doesn't affect anything is Military as gently caress, though?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat the bucs are good now, ok. And this time its true maybe!

I keep forgetting. My bad.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

If anything, enforcing petty bullshit that doesn't affect anything is Military as gently caress, though?

Good fuckin' point.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chilichimp posted:

Cam should have just taken the field for the first snap anyway. For real, what's Ron gonna do except throw a miffy tantrum that ends up with him being fired?

"Tell Ron I said gently caress him"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

LightReaper posted:

Tyrod Taylor is immensely frustrating as a quarterback. For every 3 plays where he scrambles for no reason or misses the wide open receivers down the middle, he has 1 play I don't think any other QB other than maybe Wilson could make, turning a likely sack into a 12 yard gain. I absolutely love his strengths but I am getting tired of seeing him fail to make any meaningful progress as a passing QB. That said, I'm beginning to think he just isn't right for us - we need someone who can move the sticks on short or intermediate passes to open up our running game.

I'm at the point where despite owning a Taylor jersey, I'm actually all for running Jones out there if we lose one more game. Yeah he's raw as hell but he's tall enough to see the field and he was making nice reads during the pre-season.

It was a pretty horrible game from him. I thought the pessimism surrounding him among Bills fans was always a bit baffling considering we just came from the EJ Manuel era, but Tyrod really put on a clinic for his detractors. He was scrambling into sacks, missing short throws, not seeing wide open touchdowns, folding in the fourth quarter…just a statement game in the worst possible way.

It was one game, though, and the defensive collapse was just as bad as Taylor's. For whatever reason, Tyrod has really taken the heat off of the Ryan Bros' dogshit unit.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Blitz7x posted:

"Tell Ron I said gently caress him"

Basically what Cutler yelled out to Martz during a game lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Particularly on the day where the NFL was jerking itself off about letting players have the tiniest bit of individuality.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chilichimp posted:

*reads 50 million thinkpieces about Cam thinking he's above the team*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cam Newton is weird. He dresses like Willy Wonka and rides some kind of electric razor scooter around Charlotte. If he could I bet he would buy a midget.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Congratulations on planting your rear end firmly on the hot seat, Ron Rivera!

Not like that decision really cost them the game or anything, but when your team is this lovely the year after a superbowl run and you had years of being lovely leading up to it, you're not gonna be able to lean on that for very long.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Congratulations on planting your rear end firmly on the hot seat, Ron Rivera!

Not like that decision really cost them the game or anything, but when your team is this lovely the year after a superbowl run and you had years of being lovely leading up to it, you're not gonna be able to lean on that for very long.

Won the division three years in a row, coach of the year twice.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Won the division three years in a row, coach of the year twice.

won the nfc south thrice. wasn't one of those wins at 7-9?

I like the Panthers, but he is not long for this world if he can't get them back to a powerhouse next year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I like the Panthers, but he is not long for this world if he can't get them back to a powerhouse next year.

'twas

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Doesn't Rivera have a weird crappy year like this every once in a while and then comes back the next year and dominates?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Cam needs to start listening to Jennifer Coolidge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKOBwQHOo_Q&t=60s

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Friendly reminder that Gruden went 7-9 then 5-11 after the Super Bowl win and still hung around for 4 more years. I'd pretty much forgotten about this but talk about inconsistency:

2002 - 12-4 - Super Bowl Win
2003- 7-9 - 3rd in NFC South
2004 - 5-11 4th in NFC South
2005 - 11-5 - Lost in Wild Card Round
2006 - 4-12 - 4th in NFC South
2007 - 9-7 - Lost in Wild Card Round
2008 - 9-7 - 3rd in NFC South

Why do people still jerk off so much about his coming back to football? Is it because they've forgotten the above like me?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Won a Superbowl, did well with the Raiders, made Chris Simms look like a somewhat passable QB for a little while

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Friendly reminder that Gruden went 7-9 then 5-11 after the Super Bowl win and still hung around for 4 more years. I'd pretty much forgotten about this but talk about inconsistency:

Why do people still jerk off so much about his coming back to football? Is it because they've forgotten the above like me?

He probably would have been fine if he didn't hate every player under the age of 30. He always seemed to sign old washed up players and it was so frustrating. And that staff was so bad at drafting talent on top of it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No Butt Stuff posted:

I love that there are still divisions in the NFL where 7-9 can get you a division title. :allears: Maybe Jeff Fisher should coach some team that has done that in the past but is struggling now....

wandler20 posted:

He probably would have been fine if he didn't hate every player under the age of 30. He always seemed to sign old washed up players and it was so frustrating. And that staff was so bad at drafting talent on top of it.

I think this is pretty much it. Put him with a good FO and he might show some drat fine chops. Also he just comes off as a really chill guy :3:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 5, 2016

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

It was a well worn joke on here that Gruden could not draft for poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

It was a well worn joke on here that Gruden could not draft for poo poo.

Or that year he had like 6 QB's in camp and couldn't decide what the gently caress to do with the position.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Won a Superbowl, did well with the Raiders, made Chris Simms look like a somewhat passable QB for a little while

Yeah but Tony Dungy

wandler20 posted:

Which blows my mind why anyone would think he'd be a good college coach

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which blows my mind why anyone would think he'd be a good college coach

I don't think anyone reasonable thinks this anymore, he only randomly got brought up by one Texas fan who had moved on from Cowher or Saban around here at least.

His playbook wouldn't fit the college game at all.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The real reason people clamor for Gruden is because he has a great brand. He's charismatic, won a Super Bowl, and has spent the last few years very visibly projecting himself as a real football guy's football guy without having to actually win a game each week.

I'm not trying to hate. Gruden is fantastic on MNF.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Joey Freshwater posted:

He had an interesting QB carousel going on during that timeframe. The best the Bucs had at the time was a random decent year of Jeff Garcia, and Chris Simms magical spleen. That 05 season was something else though. He also had bad luck with both Griese and Simms getting hurt, and the saga of Cadillac Williams. The year he got fired was the year Kiffin was leaving to hang with his son in college and the Bucs defense folded the last 4 games (they would've made the playoffs with a win in any of them).

I think he's alright. I wouldn't go out of my way to get him, but the offense was not bad even though it probably should've been. Better drafts would've done him wonders (RIP Cadillac's knee and Michael Clayton). It would be really interesting to see him coach someone like Winston coming into the league because his QB powers seem to only work on old-washed up dudes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

The real reason people clamor for Gruden is because he has a great brand. He's charismatic, won a Super Bowl, and has spent the last few years very visibly projecting himself as a real football guy's football guy without having to actually win a game each week.

I'm not trying to hate. Gruden is fantastic on MNF.

and tonight's Jets - Colts game is Gruden's biggest challenge since starting QB: Brian Griese.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The saga of Cadillac Williams?

You mean running him into the ground and killing his rookie year?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look man he may not have won the war but the battle's not over.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I cannot loving believe this tie thing lol

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Right? All Cam Newton has to do is wear a tie when he is supposed to, yet that is too difficult to accomplish.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It doesn't go with a turtleneck... so he keeps the turtleneck on lol

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I read some articles circa '95-'96 about Bono being a huge neat freak, and getting upset when things were out of place. Not the best trait for a QB to have...

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really need to catch back up with the NBA fashion thread. That poo poo is the best and I wish the NFL would embrace it's players eccentricities.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

FizFashizzle posted:

on this note, Dan Quinn had a bunch of Navy Seals come train with the Falcons in the offseason, no football drills at all, just to teach them to be a team.

After that, they drafted an original document called The Agreement or something, everyone signed it, and put it all over Flowery Branch.

Sure did a lot of good on that Pick-2 :frogsiren:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
lollll

http://www.tmz.com/#article/2016/12/05/cam-newton-dress-code-violation-ron-rivera/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus Christ people film everything

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Mitch Holthus is the best radio guy in the league. I'm willing to go to bat for that analysis even though I've only heard 6-7 other teams guys. They were so bad I'm just assuming that everyone else is also bad.

He just gets so excited. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM4QLa0Kg-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Sure did a lot of good on that Pick-2 :frogsiren:

Realizing that if Quinn had just not gone for it on 4th and 1 and ate another field goal, and just taken the 2 PAT's, they would have commanded a 5 point lead going into the Chiefs final possession of the game, necessitating a 2 minute drill from the KANSAS CITY OFFENSE!!!

He left so many loving points on the field in the name of "going for it".

• Locked thread