Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So the site looks live w/no log in but the streaming is absolute butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

XIII posted:

Count me in as another person who's pro-Dave. Him being on the show annoyed me at first, but he's become a genuinely good opinion/voice of reason. Also, I love his "meow" -ing during the finale because it just feels, to me, like him having a good time while making fun of how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Also, go Kelly! (Ryan and Gian are both legitimately good artists and I'd happily be tattooed by either of them)

Truth. Ryan has actually been on my short list for my lower arms for a few years now. But, you know I'm Kelly all the way.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Man, despite the circumstances and the girls and everything, Sketchy didn't go out like a G, he went out like a B. I think he knows that.

Is it just me, or does Nikki only look 35 tonight instead of 45?

What the hell are you wearing Kevin?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Why is Kevin holding a Chewbacca skin?

E: I agree, Sketchy went out like a little baby and he knows it now. Oops!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

Why is Kevin holding a Chewbacca skin?

E: I agree, Sketchy went out like a little baby and he knows it now. Oops!

What really isn't portrayed is just how much Sketchy leaving hosed things up for the show. I'm not going to name people, but I know from people involved that they had to shut down filming for a while because of it. They really don't address any of that with how it was shown on TV.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

No kidding? I'm sure someone leaving messes up the plan, the schedule of challenges and the order and all that. Sounds like there's more to it though.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

rockcity posted:

What really isn't portrayed is just how much Sketchy leaving hosed things up for the show. I'm not going to name people, but I know from people involved that they had to shut down filming for a while because of it. They really don't address any of that with how it was shown on TV.

That sucks. He really did screw Eric over too. What a loser..

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

"It wasn't meant to be personal." "We weren't targeting anybody." "I wasn't helping the girls."

"Yeah you were."

So that part pretty much went as expected.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

No kidding? I'm sure someone leaving messes up the plan, the schedule of challenges and the order and all that. Sounds like there's more to it though.

I believe they stopped filming for over a week to sort things out.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Team Gooñez all the way.

Also loved the sisterhood angle. But as a girl it's always nice to see us do what we do best and gently caress over guys because patriarchy smash.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Did they give Gian a tall girl on purpose? Heh.

Kelly's obviously winning the fan vote. I think Ryan's is fairly bold lined and Gian's spots don't look unfinished to me (at least not jarringly.) I like his better overall, more vibrant, less standard.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I thought Ryan's was the weakest. I mean it's a good tattoo, but what is it from far away? People just voted for her because she's hot.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I still need to know Ryan's lipstick technique.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah that shocks me. Maybe some voted for her thinking Kelly would obviously beat Gian in the judge vote.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
It's all up to Dave

WHAT THE gently caress

"Because I've seen this from you"

She didn't pick the style! America picked!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So because people gave her her style she gets knocked? Lol

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

People can't be trusted to vote for things, don't we have enough evidence of that this year??

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
That's some bulllllshit. I don't really care about the rest of the finale unless someone in the audience throws a chair upside Dave's head.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Say what you will about Dave, but the man tries his damnest to live up to his seat on that panel. I feel like that's the right call.

When I was bagging on twitter earlier in the season, this is what I'm talking about. Blame them for putting Ryan in the same way they put Baby in.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Dave was put in kind of a hard spot. I mean if he voted for a tattoo of himself, people would have totally bitched about it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

In fairness, she could do new school without necessarily doing her living dead doll baby faces (not to mention one of the judges, though I don't honestly believe that would have swayed anybody.) Gian asked to get Japanese and did something you don't always see from it when he did. But surely we all agree Ryan should have been eliminated.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
I just don't get the reasoning behind, "he showed us something new and that's what Ink Master is all about!" He didn't choose that style and neither did Kelly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

RheaConfused posted:

I just don't get the reasoning behind, "he showed us something new and that's what Ink Master is all about!" He didn't choose that style and neither did Kelly.

To be fair, each of them lobbied for a style though and they all got what they asked for.

The bigger thing to bitch about is that a Twitter vote was pointless. No one had any shot of beating Ryan in that, especially since she is the only one who tweets. Kelly literally didn't have a Twitter account before filming started. The show made her make one.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Eh, that's the game. Gian asked the fans to give him Japanese, he did a less typical image, and it paid off.

That being said, Ryan did nail that master canvas from what I can see. Unless Gian painted the greatest watercolor coral reef in history, I think she's about to win. Which is kind of a shame, because she's not Kelly, and did like, two color pieces the entire show, but that's the game.

Also, I don't know if they acknowledged it, but Team Nunez is totally eliminated now.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ryan's master canvas is really good. She did hit the style really well. I would hate to wear it but it's exactly what it was supposed to be.

They better show us Kelly's!!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don't think they showed the third place piece last year, but I could be wrong. Kelly will likely post it regardless because I'm sure she is proud of it.

I think this is going to Ryan. She did a way better job on that chest piece than I think anyone expected.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, Ryan will win. Gian did a respectable job of what he was assigned, but it doesn't pop like the hot rods.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
So we don't get to see Kelly's master canvas, so unfair.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Purely on those two tattoos, Ryan's deserved to win. She completely killed that challenge, and it's impressive given that she kept proclaiming that she doesn't do color.

That being said, can an Ink Master not do color? Eh. It's been said, America gave her the leg up. Kelly is a better artist than her overall. Gian too. But that's the game. People would argue Anthony wasn't really the winner compared to Cleen.

Ah well, first female Ink Master. Cool, though not totally satisfying.

And drat it Dave, you didn't say your "You DO have what it takes..." line to reveal the winner.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I agree it was a good ending but not a satisfying one. All three of them are great tattooers and Ryan really did knock that master canvas out. We finally have a lady Ink Master.

I enjoyed this season a lot and I think the final three prove some of the people who hate this show wrong. They are all very good tattooers - I know some people have the attitude that only hacks try out for Ink Master. This bodes well for future seasons, maybe more great tattooers will try out.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I feel like the producers gave a directive to secure a female IM at last to avoid all possible bullshit online controversy, but the good news is that the final products were so drat good that it doesn't feel like a fix was in.

I actually liked Ryan's hotrods a tiny bit more because she completely nailed the chrome corniness of New School without ever wanting to do it and that center skull was dope. She definitely won the bullshit twitter vote due to the "tatu baby effect" (even though her B&G piece was certainly good enough to advance), but I'm actually happy because I thought Kelly was gonna take that. She actually gamed her New School choice to appeal to Dave, knowing that both team captains would be split based on loyalty, haha. Both major choices were literally all up to him. The thread title is legit.

Really, the biggest bullshit this finale was that we didn't even get to see Kelly's master canvas. The twitter vote relevance to the competition is still insanely hot garbage

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 7, 2016

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Gian got robbed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nawwww, Kelly. :(

All three master canvases are up on Spike: http://www.spike.com/photos/zfsa45/ink-master-24-hour-master-canvases

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That finale was some bullshit, Kelly absolutely got robbed. How did they comment on her giving them what they've seen before, and then Ryan doing loving fine black linework? She literally did blackwork for at least 60% of her tattoos on the entire loving show. If she got a colour canvas she would always try to talk then into black and grey.

My girl and I are pissed :argh: I mean yay female Ink Master, but Ryan's versatility compared to Kelly's is trash. Kelly got robbed.

Agreed that Sketchy really turned into a whiny rear end. I thought he was kind of legit for doing what he was doing, and he also had a few good comments like re: doesn't matter if you're male/female, the best artist wins. But then he also drops the "your emotions get in the way" sexist comment, and also just is referring to his teammates as "the females." Come the gently caress on man, really?

Overall I enjoyed the season for sure, but it was pretty obvious from the get-go that they were setting Ryan up to win it. Kelly/Gian 2020! :patriot:

Fake edit: oh and Kevin's fur coat was amazing :swoon: his interview really made me like him more. Plus Boneface saying he has no regrets, like what? Dude not even a week after your Nikki insult you made a huge public apology on IG saying how you regret it. Shut the gently caress up, tryna sound hard on television, give me a break.

Also I want to buy all of Gian's clothes. That loving jacket of his :eyepop:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 7, 2016

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I also disagree with the results but at least this season the top three were all likeable (to me anyway). It seemed that Gian and Ryan were having a friendly discussion while they were awkwardly standing there, and there was no real drama between those three during the season.

Nikki can still gently caress right off for being completely oblivious to her actions vs her words when it came to personal attacks and being salty about a men's alliance.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Kelly's final canvas is well below the other two. It's well done, it just seems much safer than the other two.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Kelly's final canvas is well below the other two. It's well done, it just seems much safer than the other two.

If it wasn't American Traditional nobody would be saying this.

I think it's the most wearable of the three to be honest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh drat I finally figured out what Gian's coral reminds me of

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Kelly's chest piece is a well done AT piece, but is it just me, or is the placement a bit off? The nipples getting hooked so tight between the mermaid tails isn't too appealing to me. I have to wonder how it would have stood up against the others had she advanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
What bugs me the most about Kelly's piece is that the mermaids are different. One has the whole chest exposed but the only only half. It ruins the symmetry of the piece.

• Locked thread