Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the Vancouver Canucks will hire Therrien after the habs fire him

but the habs will never fire Therrien, so Vancouver will never hire him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Luca Sbisa sent a suicide pass to Larsen who then got completely laid the gently caress out onto the ice and taken off on a stretcher.

GG sbisa

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

HookShot posted:

Luca Sbisa sent a suicide pass to Larsen who then got completely laid the gently caress out onto the ice and taken off on a stretcher.

GG sbisa

I wish I hadn't been working. Wonder if there's a gif...

e: holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/806308463454339073

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 7, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mV-CpolGc

Not sure what to make of it. Hall clearly recognizes that it's about to go very wrong, but can't bail out enough.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The worst part of it is watching Sbisa, then Kalinin, then Granlund all kick him in the head on their way into the scrum. That could make the damage much worse. Really hope he's OK, that did not look good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hall even looks like he's trying to let up actually.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
:lol: at the dude rushing to take his cell out to take a photo of Larsen laying there
"gently caress yeah! this is gonna get so many likes!"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hall even looks like he's trying to let up actually.

Yeah. What I think happened is Hall is skating in square to him because he's expecting him to turn into the boards to protect the puck. Hall is expecting to hit him with his chest and be facing him so he can poke at the puck and battle for it and maybe wrap him up a little. At the last moment he realizes that Larsen is just going to skate into him and he tries to re-position. IMO it's probably as much just to brace for an hit you didn't really expect to happen that way as to consciously protect Larsen, but I think it shows Hall wasn't planning to get a shot in here. He doesn't position for maximum murder anyway. Really hope Larsen isn't badly hurt, but that looked terrible.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
all rangers dead

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Larkin made a pretty play to get Mantha a goal and this is my dream for what red wings hockey should be but instead Larkin then also played on the fourth line for reasons

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

With the Jackets doing so well I almost don't feel bad about that 0-10 game.

No. Wait. Hang on.

Ok yeah there it is, I still feel super lovely about it.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Zodijackylite posted:

The worst part of it is watching Sbisa, then Kalinin, then Granlund all kick him in the head on their way into the scrum. That could make the damage much worse. Really hope he's OK, that did not look good.

Seriously, what a bunch of fuckin idiots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's about protecting your teammates.

Edit: Granlund looks like he may have accidentally hit him with his skates, but you can see he's actually trying to stand over him and keep the scrum back.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 7, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

tinstaach posted:

That would be...very, very, very disappointing

strap in, buddy

Helm, Abdelkader, and Franzen are auto-protected and you know they'll protect Zetterberg. Nielsen just signed a huge deal to be DatsyukLite, so I'm sure he gets the 5th spot. So that leaves 2 spots for Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Sheahan, and Glendening as guys that I'm sure are on Ken's short list.

Tatar is an RFA, so I'm betting he's out. Glendening just signed a 4-year deal because Holland is an idiot, so I'm sure there's going to be incentive to not "lose out on the investment" and he'll get spot #6. The 7th forward is going to be a toss-up between Nyquist and Mantha. One of those two or Marchenko* is going to be lost to Vegas and it's going to suck. If there's a god, they'll take Smith but there's a 2/3 chance as it stands that the Wings are actually going to lose a player of value and right now that best value is probably Mantha.

I'm sorry in advance.

*Kronwall and Ericsson are auto-protected and Mike Green has a NTC that I'm not sure if it carries into the last year of his deal, in which case he'd be the auto-protected as well. If not, the 3rd defenseman will almost assuredly be DeKeyser. Either Marchenko or Mantha is as good as gone.

e: Maybe they'll just lose Nyquist which will only look dumb when he's getting more than 14 minutes a night in Vegas and his goal scoring jumps back up to where it was two years ago and EVERYONE WILL WONDER WHY

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 7, 2016

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Pierre LeBrun here and CapFriendly here both say that Nielsen is the only Red Wing that's auto-protected. So Unless they're both wrong, Franzen and Helm don't have to be protected.

Hank and Abdelkader (UGH) are gonna be locks, which would leave 4 spots for

Tatar
Nyquist
Sheahan
Helm
Glendening
Athanasiou
Mantha

A competent front office would pick Tatar/Nyquist/AA/Mantha, but Kenny won't do that so I guess we're hosed anyway, unless they decide to take Howard as their goalie.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 7, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

welp the wings have had a good run

there's a southpark kenny joke in here somewhere

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Someone posted recently that Franzen had to be protected, and Helm's new deal has a NTC which was supposedly grounds for auto-protection, and even if it's not, he'll fall into the same category as Glendening as a "key piece we can't afford to lose" - Ken Holland in TYOOL 2017

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

quote:

All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

So NMCs are auto-protected, NTCs like Helm aren't.

quote:

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

And this should exempt Franzen.

But yeah, it's all moot if Holland keeps jacking off over "gritty" 4th liners.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The Flyers got pounded last night but still won. I have to imagine this win streak is coming to an end soon though. Without Read and Couturier in the lineup we're just so much weaker

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

tinstaach posted:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

So NMCs are auto-protected, NTCs like Helm aren't.

And this should exempt Franzen.

But yeah, it's all moot if Holland keeps jacking off over "gritty" 4th liners.

What should happen:

Nielsen
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Mantha
AA
Helm I guess?? He's cool so w/e even though his contract is dumb

DeKeyser
Marchenko
Green so you can trade him at the deadline

What will happen:

Nielsen
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Glendening
Helm
Tatar
Sheahan

Kronwall
Ericsson
DeKeyser

My suicide

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/806309661100089344

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

quote:

Here lies John Scott.
He tried not to be a dick.
And he was a good dad.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/john-scott-retirement/

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

that was good and cool

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Do UFA or RFA players count for Expansion Draft eligibility?

For example, Sam Gagner (UFA) or Alexander Wennberg (RFA) with no contract in place for 17-18 (assuming they don't re-sign them sooner)? It feels like it'd be doing nothing more for Vegas Golden KnightsTM other than a trade for the rights to a player who might walk anyway (in the case of a UFA).

e- :laffo:

quote:

It was almost like he was worried I was going to Hulk Hogan the check — just tear it straight down the middle and suplex him for the crowd.

If he had DDTed him right there on the ice and red carpet, I'd have bought a John Scott All-Star Jersey and Shirzee.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 7, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Now Im wishing John Scott had torn up the check and suplexed Bettman in the middle of the rink. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We need that asian youtube channel to do up a video of scott suplexing bettman.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"I'm not a Gary Bettman guy, I'm a Paul Heyman guy..."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God bless the Players' Tribune. Its brought us everything from Sean Avery telling us he has no concept of money to Matt Beleskey's profound observation that in China dragons AREN'T evil to John Scott showing us what a swell guy he is. Thank you Derek Jeter, it's a wonderful thing.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 7, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for the announcement of the John Scott School for Adults That Can't Play Hockey Good and Want to do Other Stuff Good Too.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

ThinkTank posted:

God bless the Players' Tribune. Its brought us everything from Sean Avery telling us he has no concept of money to Matt Beleskey's profound observation that in China dragons AREN'T evil to John Scott showing us what a swell guy he is. Thank you Derek Jeter, it's a wonderful thing.

My favorite thing about the Beleskey story is watching him talk glowingly about hockey hopefully growing in Asia and the league is about to absolutely gently caress it up with PyeongChang and Beijing.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do UFA or RFA players count for Expansion Draft eligibility?

For example, Sam Gagner (UFA) or Alexander Wennberg (RFA) with no contract in place for 17-18 (assuming they don't re-sign them sooner)? It feels like it'd be doing nothing more for Vegas Golden KnightsTM other than a trade for the rights to a player who might walk anyway (in the case of a UFA).

e- :laffo:

If he had DDTed him right there on the ice and red carpet, I'd have bought a John Scott All-Star Jersey and Shirzee.

There's a negotiation period right before the expansion draft where vegas can talk to any RFA/UFA and if they are signed then that counts as their pick. I'd assume that any player picked in the expansion draft either has years left or has agreed to a deal.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
travis zajac is outscoring zach parise by 12 points

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

Waiting for the announcement of the John Scott School for Adults That Can't Play Hockey Good and Want to do Other Stuff Good Too.

Patrick Maroon to be the first alumnus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My favorite thing about the Beleskey story is watching him talk glowingly about hockey hopefully growing in Asia and the league is about to absolutely gently caress it up with PyeongChang and Beijing.

It was awesome when they did all those interviews during the World Cup asking players how it feels to play for their country, and nearly all of them would talk about how great the Olympics felt.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It was awesome when they did all those interviews during the World Cup asking players how it feels to play for their country, and nearly all of them would talk about how great the Olympics felt.

They'll end up going to the Olympics. The league is just trying to pretend they have a say in it and can use it to get concessions from the players. NBC has the Olympic rights until 2032 and the Men's Hockey is generally a pretty big draw. They'll push the NHL to send the players, and with renegotiation of their deal starting in the next couple years the league doesn't have a ton of options. It's unlikely there will be competing bids for the NHL rights, so the NHL has to keep NBC happy at all costs.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm glad john scott mentioned the justin johnson fight in his players tribune article, which was a pretty good story in its own right with a 30+ year old career minor leaguer getting a cup of coffee at the end of a doomed isles season and putting the biggest dude in the league on his rear end. scott's reaction to losing the fight when it happened was also very very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8qZ3huAdk

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

They'll end up going to the Olympics. The league is just trying to pretend they have a say in it and can use it to get concessions from the players. NBC has the Olympic rights until 2032 and the Men's Hockey is generally a pretty big draw. They'll push the NHL to send the players, and with renegotiation of their deal starting in the next couple years the league doesn't have a ton of options. It's unlikely there will be competing bids for the NHL rights, so the NHL has to keep NBC happy at all costs.

There's also the issue of the NHL constantly not having the chance to promote itself by either self-created lack of marketing, or a bad relationship with the IOC. In a perfect world, the Olympics would be a launching pad for future NHL superstars, but everyone involved can't get along to do that.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I remember a few years ago when John Scott blew by Brooks Orpik and roofed a shot on Holtby. Then Orpik tried getting tough with Scott in the scrum right after the goal and eventually decided against it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mind_Taker posted:

I remember a few years ago when John Scott blew by Brooks Orpik and roofed a shot on Holtby. Then Orpik tried getting tough with Scott in the scrum right after the goal and eventually decided against it.

quote:

The beauty came against Washington. “I was in the slot and went shelf over [Braden] Holtby’s shoulder,” he says. Later, while he’s eating cheesecake, he remembers another detail. Ovechkin skated by the bench, looked at him and said: “That was a nice fuckin’ shot.” Scott raises his eyebrows. “Ovie,” he says, smiling.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget Scott's other highlight, getting Kessel suspended for three games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxpfIQ7n6s

• Locked thread