Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathulu
Sep 9, 2010
Can I get an invite please? @coopmi09

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Kakarot posted:

Can I get a guild invites @esopi

Can I get an invite to the trade/craft guilds as well? Thanks

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I could opt to not have to do II dungeons in the roulette thing. Healing when I'm under level 50 for a group that's under level 50 with a tank that's using a 2h is more of a headache than I want to put up with. I'm all for a challenge when healing, but pretty much every II dungeon turns in to me babysitting three idiots and I just don't have the gear or skill points for that yet.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 8, 2016

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

I wish I could opt to not have to do II dungeons in the roulette thing. Healing when I'm under level 50 for a group that's under level 50 with a tank that's using a 2h is more of a headache than I want to put up with. I'm all for a challenge when healing, but pretty much every II dungeon turns in to me babysitting three idiots and I just don't have the gear or skill points for that yet.

You know you can queue for random in a party so bring some people that are not brain dead.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Also what do I do with a half a million alliance points?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Aight so Magicka Templar, like Magicka Nightblade, is one of those classes that can do very well with just its class skills and nothing else. And they can work wonders with them too. Self-Heals, Debuffs, Buffs, Sustain, they have it all (well except for a source of Major Sorcery).

Basics
  • Race Choice: Altmer, Breton, Dunmer, Argonian. In order of effectiveness. Some would rank Breton over Altmer but it's really up to personal choice. I have Dunmer, Breton, and Argonian magplars in my roster.
  • Attribute Dump: Magicka. Everything into Magicka.
  • Armor Specialization: Light Armor. Run two pieces of Heavy Armor if you want more survivability.
  • Mundus Stone: Thief; Thief + Shadow if running TBS (end-game only)

Levels 1-15
  • Grab the first skill in each of the Templar Skill lines, Puncturing Strikes, Rushed Ceremony, and Sun Fire. This will ensure that you level each of the class lines appropriately. Morph Puncturing Strikes into Puncturing Sweep, Rushed Ceremony into Breath of Life, and pick whatever morph of Sun Fire you find more appealing. I personally prefer Vampire's Bane since it means I can keep up that DoT longer and not have to worry about messing up my rotation.
  • Get two Swords and a Destruction Staff. Level the Destruction Staff line enough to get your hands on the Wall of Elements skill. After that, slap it on your skill bar and equip your swords. Leaving the Wall of Elements skill on your bar actively levels your Destruction Staff line while gaining XP. DO NOT purchase any of the active skills or passive skills in the Dual Wield line until it is at Rank 41. You will only need the Twin Blade and Blunt passive from that skill line and nothing more.
  • Level as many skills from all your class lines as possible. With the exception of Healing Ritual, Eclipse, and Sun Shield if you're not going the Blaztank route, they are all good.

At level 15, pick either Resto Staff, Destro Staff, or Sword and Shield to level up.

Eventually you're going to want your skills looking like this:
  • Puncturing Strikes -> Puncturing Sweep
  • Piercing Javelin -> Aurora Javelin
  • Focused Charge -> Explosive Charge
  • Spear Shards -> Blazing Spear
  • Sun Fire -> Reflective Light/Vampire's Bane
  • Solar Flare -> Dark Flare
  • Backlash -> Purifying Light
  • Radiant Destruction -> Radiant Glory
  • Rushed Ceremony -> Breath of Life
  • Restoring Aura -> Repentance
  • Cleansing Ritual -> Ritual of Retribution or Extended Ritual
  • Rune Focus -> Channeled Focus
  • Radial Sweep -> Crescent Sweep or Empowering Sweep
  • Nova -> Solar Prison
  • Rite of Passage -> Remembrance
I'm following this guide, just hit level 20. So far everything's going great, although I usually feel like I don't really know what I'm doing - everything dies and I never do, so why should I complain?

Still, I'm wondering how I know what abilities to use. I'm still duel wielding, and I use puncturing sweep, vampire's bane and dark flare, with breath of life for my heal and wall of elements for Staff Leveling. I have no idea if this is optimal. Do I only switch out skills in situations like, say, healing in a group?

Why am I using Dual Wield? Heavy Attacks restore stamina, which I don't use. Logically I should switch to Resto Staff or Dest Staff. I assume Dest staff is if I want to build a DPSer, and Rest staff is for being a healer. Do I need Rest staff skills if I want to heal, or do I just use my Restoring Light skills? Is a certain element Dest staff better than the others? My Dest Staff is already leveled a bit from wall of elements, but as an Argonian I benefit more from being a healer. Is there any reason I should level sword and shield? I feel like Argonian Magplar does not lend itself well to tanking.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BERGfu posted:

Also what do I do with a half a million alliance points?

Nothing. Akaviri motifs hardly sell anymore, RNG boxes from the gear merchants are way too much of a crapshoot, and the alliance consumables are pretty bad (and in the case of the alliance unstoppable potion, flat out broken).

Buy some forward camps and hand em out, or wait until Friday night to see what the Special Gear Vendor is selling. Or you could wait and see if they add gold tempers to the AP merchant and make some money that way.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I am an ultra-noob. I assumed the difference between magicka and Stamina builds is that one uses magicka primarily for skill and the other Stamina. But when I look at the the abilities I have available to me that are recommended for a Stam Sorc build, they all use magicka. What am I missing?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Books On Tape posted:

I am an ultra-noob. I assumed the difference between magicka and Stamina builds is that one uses magicka primarily for skill and the other Stamina. But when I look at the the abilities I have available to me that are recommended for a Stam Sorc build, they all use magicka. What am I missing?

Once you level the skill enough you can morph it into a modified skill. Some of these skills convert to stamina based instead of magicka.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm following this guide, just hit level 20. So far everything's going great, although I usually feel like I don't really know what I'm doing - everything dies and I never do, so why should I complain?

Still, I'm wondering how I know what abilities to use. I'm still duel wielding, and I use puncturing sweep, vampire's bane and dark flare, with breath of life for my heal and wall of elements for Staff Leveling. I have no idea if this is optimal. Do I only switch out skills in situations like, say, healing in a group?

Why am I using Dual Wield? Heavy Attacks restore stamina, which I don't use. Logically I should switch to Resto Staff or Dest Staff. I assume Dest staff is if I want to build a DPSer, and Rest staff is for being a healer. Do I need Rest staff skills if I want to heal, or do I just use my Restoring Light skills? Is a certain element Dest staff better than the others? My Dest Staff is already leveled a bit from wall of elements, but as an Argonian I benefit more from being a healer. Is there any reason I should level sword and shield? I feel like Argonian Magplar does not lend itself well to tanking.

You are using dual wield because the last passive in it is a % damage increase, you will use 2 swords and get a 5% bonus to damage. Not sure about healing, other than the fact that you can heal a gorup with JUST resto staff abilities, I'm not sure if you even need to take class abilities for it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MF_James posted:

You are using dual wield because the last passive in it is a % damage increase, you will use 2 swords and get a 5% bonus to damage. Not sure about healing, other than the fact that you can heal a gorup with JUST resto staff abilities, I'm not sure if you even need to take class abilities for it.

If people aren't poo poo and you've got decent gear, you can squeeze by with just Breath of Life for a lot of stuff in my experience

outlander2525
Jul 28, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

If people aren't poo poo and you've got decent gear, you can squeeze by with just Breath of Life for a lot of stuff in my experience

Neither of which is true for me (my gear or the people I pug with) unfortunately.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Is stream of life the HoT that's like the second skill in the line?

What do typical non-templar healers run? I've been curious because I'm also going to throw together a healer set and I've got all the passives for resto already just need to dump some points into skills.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Dont know what's typical, but this works well for me: Destro staff and dps stuff on bar 1, resto on bar 2. For most normal dungeons I just slot/use healing ward, and dps the rest. For vets I usually slot siphon spirit and combat prayer in addition to healing ward. I mostly just pug I versions of vets though, IIs are :effort:, and I suspect my healing cant possibly save a "less abled" group. In a great group you pretty much dont need to heal in vets either. I run dps gear and monster set, but it works for healing too.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Could I get an invite? @dreffen

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think seeing screenshots of Hew's Bane alone would have sold me on ESO. This game can be really loving pretty, you guys.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
On the off chance any goons are playing ESO on PS4 here is my ID: S1Nx81

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Scyantific posted:

In fact, I think it's about time I posted my updated tank build now that OT is out and people seem to be coming back to the game. It basically plays the same as a magblade DPS but built for survivability

good guide. if I may add to it, Bahraha's Curse is also a surprisingly good gear set option for an NB tank, giving you decent AoE threat, cc and self healing in one neat package, with an almost 100% uptime. the only downside to it is that it can be a real bitch to get as weapons and shields are p. drat rare, especially if you want optimal traits, and if you want purple quality jewelry, your only option is farming treasure chests in Hew's Bane. luckily, the Thieves Guild questline gives you a freebie blue quality necklace and two rings.

also, I use Soul Harvest as my ult on the front bar for even more ult generation on mook groups. Shield Wall is pretty underwhelming as a mag based tank since you'll never be hurting for stamina so those 6 seconds of free blocking are fairly meh.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As a Templar tank, I love Spell Shield so much because I'm built to block. It's boring, but I love it. Also it's good and cheap, so between trying to heavy attack between blocks, and keeping Ritual up for more threat and healing, I'm popping them out a lot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

inflatable fish posted:

good guide. if I may add to it, Bahraha's Curse is also a surprisingly good gear set option for an NB tank, giving you decent AoE threat, cc and self healing in one neat package, with an almost 100% uptime. the only downside to it is that it can be a real bitch to get as weapons and shields are p. drat rare, especially if you want optimal traits, and if you want purple quality jewelry, your only option is farming treasure chests in Hew's Bane. luckily, the Thieves Guild questline gives you a freebie blue quality necklace and two rings.

also, I use Soul Harvest as my ult on the front bar for even more ult generation on mook groups. Shield Wall is pretty underwhelming as a mag based tank since you'll never be hurting for stamina so those 6 seconds of free blocking are fairly meh.

Yeah I swapped to using Bahraha's Curse + Swarm Mother when I'm tanking easy-mode dungeons. Between those two sets it's like I'm a dollar-store DK tank with more AoE disruption.

I also really want to try out Lamia's Song as well, healing the whole group when popping a War Horn sounds pretty nice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The only Bahraha's Curse pieces I've found so far have been medium armor, and I was puzzled to see a medium set that isn't specifically geared toward stamina builds. Now that I know there are variable sets, and it's one of them, I am really excited about the potential, and Undaunted Mettle suddenly seems way more useful than I first thought.

I also recently started questing in Malabal Tor and stumbled upon the Thunderbug's Carapace set. That's something that really speaks to my inner M:tG nerd. If I'm understanding this right, there's a synergy where I could potentially deal a chunk of shock damage to an enemy, triggering a meteor shower for more shock damage, and instakill them if they're under 15% health, by being hit. That's possibly impractical considering I should be trying my best to not take damage, but it's hilarious.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 9, 2016

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
not sure about Lamia's Song, there are literally no encounters in game in which the whole group takes consistent damage over time; in 99% of cases, the healing from Lamia ends up being overheals.

Undaunted Mettle is boss, 6% max EVERYTHING is huge (especially for tanks), and you only really want 7 pieces of the same armour weight class if you're a stamboy or using Molag Kena as mag dps.

inflatable fish fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 9, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

If you ain't overhealing, you're underhealing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That doesn't even make sense, this isn't TF2.

Also my tank runs full heavy with my Imperium/Willpower/Endurance/Bloodspawn setup, though that's usually only during Planar Inhibitor and Molag Kena since I hold the pinion through the whole fight, and the damage shield also a fantastic counter against Kena's Lingering Static DoT.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How is the player population in this game these days? Is Cyrodil pretty full most of the time?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PvE-wise the world is pretty full consistently. As far as Cyrodiil goes the main reason that Trueflame, the main NA campaign, is always full is because it's the only server people play on. Problem is, that many people induces lots of lag, which is also partially attributed to the Champion system.

However, Azura's Star, the non-CP campaign tends to fill up modestly, and has significantly less lag than Trueflame.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Super impressed with this game as a new player. But why are the starting stats so inflated? My character's stats are in the multiple thousands, but gear upgrades are very small in comparison.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

Super impressed with this game as a new player. But why are the starting stats so inflated? My character's stats are in the multiple thousands, but gear upgrades are very small in comparison.

They made it so your stats are inflated to a level 50 with 160 Champion Points no matter where you are if you are under level 50. I guess gear doesn't matter until you get to 50? Not sure.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Books On Tape posted:

ESO used to be structured like a more traditional MMO, where zones had a fairly strictly defined level progression for each of the three alliances:

And character progression was traditional too. You started at level 1 with low stats and ended up at level 50, with about the same stats you have now.

In October the One Tamriel update rolled out, which basically makes all zones and characters level 50 from the jump. One of the main things that leveling does for you is granting skill points; instead of your character being numerically much more powerful, you are unlocking active options and passive benefits. The other big thing is that gear works in kind of an unintuitive way - since it is set to be useful at a particular level, as you level up past your gear it sort of deprecates into uselessness. Keeping up with the gear treadmill is actually more important than it used to be, since monsters are always at your level and you can't count on rising stats to take up the slack.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What enchants should I be using while leveling magplar?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Magic on all armor. Weapons don't matter really, but the absorb magic one helps, especially on long fights before your sustain ramps up.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

OP posted:

The second way is by training your mount, as mentioned in the FAQ above, by spending 250 gold daily on your Carrying Capacity skill. You can train Carrying Capacity up to 60 times per character.

Did this change?

e: oh Im training speed right now and can only seem to do it on one character. Maybe space is different. Sucks that you need to do it on each though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kakarot posted:

Did this change?

e: oh Im training speed right now and can only seem to do it on one character. Maybe space is different. Sucks that you need to do it on each though.

You get a choice every day when you go to train mounts.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Scyantific posted:

You get a choice every day when you go to train mounts.

But is it per character with only 1 character able to do 1 at a time?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Kakarot posted:

But is it per character with only 1 character able to do 1 at a time?

Each character can train one of speed/stamina/capacity once a day.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Fried Sushi posted:

Each character can train one of speed/stamina/capacity once a day.

Yea, so each character has to upgrade the same mount separately, pretty bad.

Are there any other time gated things besides researching(traits)?

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 10, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The upside is that the mount itself is cosmetic. You're upgrading that toon's riding skills, technically.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Could I get a guild invite for @dryzenscrollsonline

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
What does carrying capacity even do? This is the first I've played since beta. My ESO subscription ran out today and boy, this is basically unplayable for me without the crafting bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Overemotional Robot posted:

What does carrying capacity even do?

Increases your inventory space by 1 for each point you upgrade it. Basically mandatory if you aren't a subscriber.