Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The reason GTAIV was poo poo, is because Rockstar didn't want to spend lots of time doing PC ports after GTAIII. They wanted to rush out the console/portable games and get fast money from the PC crowd, before churning out another console/portable game. That is why you have bad ports of Vice City and San Andreas, and none for the portable games going to PC despite them being ported to console. Something happened around the time of MP3. Maybe they got rid of the dickhead management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, is there a reason that Artix keeps using Chronostasis despite there being limited things to do now? If there's four days of next-to-nothing, I don't understand stopping the in-game clock for even more time of next-to-nothing...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

thetoughestbean posted:

So, is there a reason that Artix keeps using Chronostasis despite there being limited things to do now? If there's four days of next-to-nothing, I don't understand stopping the in-game clock for even more time of next-to-nothing...

At the end of the video at least, I think he wanted to hit up all the shops before a new day started, presumably he plans to start the next at a Teleport point and continuing the Garb hunt would break flow.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus you can just, at any point, go to an Inn and sleep away days to get to the end. So it's not like he can't just skip ahead if he wants to.

In fact, I used that process to force an early NG+ after not playing the game for a long time, and forgetting what I was doing. You can sleep over and over until you run right into a game over.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 51: The Fifth Intermission (Polsy) :siren:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The sacred knight outfit... It looks great but exposes the very top of the thighs. the femural arteries are right at that spot. And yes, I know, Anime and all that, but for such an overall protective outfit... It just irks me.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Of course some of the garbs would have French names.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So, does the PC port still implement trophies/achievements in some way? If not, how do you get Pallas Athena?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Weeble posted:

So, does the PC port still implement trophies/achievements in some way? If not, how do you get Pallas Athena?

It's a Steam game. Steam supports achievements. Checking the Steam Store tells me it has 42 achievements, not sure if that's the same or not than the console version, but it probably is.

A small detail that I liked, while equipping the X-2 Yuna outfit, Lightning's pose is taken straight from Yuna's art from that game:

I'm guessing the other reference garbs will do the same too.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Considering I read The Dark Id's LP of The 3rd Birthday, that game's costumes seems like a prototype for this game. Please tell me the phrase "refreshing vulnerability" hasn't come up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HR12345 posted:

Considering I read The Dark Id's LP of The 3rd Birthday, that game's costumes seems like a prototype for this game. Please tell me the phrase "refreshing vulnerability" hasn't come up.

What the hell are you even talking about

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

corn in the bible posted:

What the hell are you even talking about

That person is claiming that all of Lightning's outfits are sexist pandering cheesecake. That phrase was used ingame to describe a boob window. Frankly, the comparison to 3rd Birthday seems cruel and unreasonable.
Most of the costumes in LR look either genuinely cool or endearingly silly. Of course there are exceptions.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 52: The Last Sidequest is in Captivity (Polsy) :siren:

Since he didn't bother to introduce himself, our guest is Admiral Curtiss.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah I realized that halfway into the second video and at that point it seemed much too late.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get the complaints here. During the sidequest's entire dialogue I had a gigantic "SUPERBOSS!!" sign flashing in my head. Beast that only appears at the end of the world, comes from another dimension, reappearing after the last catastrophic event...does it outright need to spell out Omega or something? Because if I know FF - and I know quite a bit of it - that sounds like a Final Fantasy superboss.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well Abysses do all that too and they're a bit poo poo. Plus the people in this game with monster fighting sidequests freak out like that about every monster it seems. Really I'm more doubtful that someone would accidentally run into Aeronite, he was a fucker to catch for me.

Also goodbye, greatest Last One. You're firing round numbers of needles in neon pink crystal heaven now.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Ah good, you guys go over Just-Attacks. A mechanic that other games do better.
Lightning Return's way of doing Just-Attacks is really loving wierd as it requires you to do press the button before the end of the attack animation instead of on the end. You guys say that there's a flash, but there's also the visual effect of a hexagon grid happening. You can see this effect when you Just-Guard/Perfect Guard attacks. The timing is extremely loving wierd, especially when you're used to doing Just-Attacks on animation end from the Phantasy Star games.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

soon

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"This was a terrible mistake"

Considering this could be said at one point or another of every game in the trilogy, this means something.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
You should spend that day where there's absolutely nothing to do walking around the world.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I eagerly look forward to the next update :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Man who uses the white Discord theme

If that guy was the last sidequest-giver, why didn't he turn hot pink? :colbert:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Would it be possible to take the Chocobo to another area using the roadworks?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No, the roads on the Wildlands side start with a ladder that you can't get up with him.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No, the roads on the Wildlands side start with a ladder that you can't get up with him.

... I suppose I shouldn't expect much of highway engineering in the post-entropic-apocalypse.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Morroque posted:

Would it be possible to take the Chocobo to another area using the roadworks?

I tried to find information about this a while ago. You'd think by now people would have found a way to either glitch him up there or use cheats on the PC version.
Sadly I've found absolutely nothing. It would be very interesting to know how he'd behave in areas where he was never supposed to be and if he'd still act like a party member in battles.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 53: Elevating the Tango (Polsy) :siren:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I love how Lightning gets more and more exasperated the more times she's forced to say "meow meow choco chow."

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yes, if you run two physical schemata you can Deprotect Chase a launched enemy. It's quite fun.

On another note, that Miqo'te garb is one of the most useful in the game.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Weeble posted:

On another note, that Miqo'te garb is one of the most useful in the game.

Well, it's pretty decent early on, since you can get it on day 1 (or 2, not sure if the girls show up on the first day) and it does have some crazy end-game uses that can only be explained once ArtiX has shown off its innate abilities.

Since it was mentioned a few times; I never found FFX-Yuna's Elementa that great for staggering since it's much more expensive than -ra spells and many enemies are vulnerable to only one element and resist or absorb the rest, so only 1/4th of that spell will be of use. It does make for an incredible nuke on staggered enemies (which usually become vulnerable to more elements once they're staggered), though, especially if you use a staff that increases casting speed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

And at one point, Lightning DID come to Eorzea. People playing FFXIV at the time could fight her in some fashion, and get her Guaridn Corps outfit.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 18, 2016

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Hunter Noventa posted:

And at one point, Lightnign DID come to Eorzea. People playing FFXIV at the time could fight her in some fashion, and get her Guaridn Corps outfit.

Well, you fought alongside her in some random fights basically. After you did all the quests involving her, she kinda vanished away after hearing the voice of Bhunivelse I think? This was like 2 years ago, so I don't remember properly. In any case, you could also get Snow's FFXIII outfit, as well as the weapons of everyone from FFXIII's party, except Sash's (since guns weren't a thing in FFXIV at that point), and also Mog's staff because we all love him right? :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That fight against the Reaver Omega was stylish. And the weapon you got from it is...big. Very big. It's literally clipping through the floor big. Now that's a reward for murdering all the Behemoths.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I know things are looking pretty dire Artix. The end of absolutely everything is getting closer and closer, you're probably going to have to kill God and Lightning's wardrobe just keeps becoming more and more of a pit of absolute despair. But don't worry! There's still someone who can pull us out of it! Someone who can save us all when everything looks lost!

You might even say he's our "Last Hope"! :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Captain Fargle posted:

I know things are looking pretty dire Artix. The end of absolutely everything is getting closer and closer, you're probably going to have to kill God and Lightning's wardrobe just keeps becoming more and more of a pit of absolute despair. But don't worry! There's still someone who can pull us out of it! Someone who can save us all when everything looks lost!

Looking at this literally, not figuratively, makes my eyes hurt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KieranWalker posted:

I love how Lightning gets more and more exasperated the more times she's forced to say "meow meow choco chow."
The Chocobo girls also get more excited every time she acknowledges them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 54: The Sixth Intermission (Polsy) :siren:

Datalogs

quote:

The False Serah

A vision of Serah appeared to Lightning as a reward for playing the part of savior. She looked like Serah in every way, and yet Lightning knew there was no real soul in the thing that wore her sister's face. It was a hollow imitation, made by a god who cannot see into human hearts. The more she spoke with the puppet, the more fixed her suspicions became.

If God cannot fulfill his promise to bring Serah back to her, then the savior will have lost her only reason to obey his whims.

Yet Lightning cannot find Serah's lost soul on her own. Even as her doubts grow, she cannot yet cut her ties with the god she is sworn to.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 2, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I get you, fake-Serah. I don't want to remember XIII and XIII-2 either.

This time you didn't show it, Artix, so I'm taking a guess and saying that Lightning's pose upon equipping Cloud's outfit is...this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's already in the second post. :ssh:

• Locked thread