Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Picross e7 will be out in NA this week.

greatn posted:

So watched a video or two on the game, is it really just straight up platforming levels in a linear fashion? That's not necessarily bad but it's certainly a departure and makes me wonder about the length.

No, the levels do have an explicit start point and exit with a boss at the end but you do come back to them with new abilities to find hidden paths and items and so on, and most of the levels are designed like metroidvania levels so you're not going to hit any brick walls in terms of difficulty or challenge like you might in a straight action game. It's pretty much as long as Pirate's Curse

The biggest change is the absence of dungeons, which is something I thought would be universally disliked but a lot of people don't seem to miss them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Europeans, Amazon DE has the retail versions of Fast Racing Neo and Steamworld Collection for 9.97EUR each: https://www.amazon.de/b/ref=lp_6734...node=6734243031

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
15% off eShop cards at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wii-u/nintendo-network/pcmcat295100050011.c?id=pcmcat295100050011

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just beat Shantae, game says I took 6:50 to do 100%. That is about as long as Pirate's Curse, but I still kinda felt like the game should've been a tiny bit bigger. Some of the powerups you find have literally a single use in the game, which kinda makes the whole thing taste like bigger plans that didn't quite come together. If there were either more optional areas to explore with the powerups, or one more whole level, I think I'd be completely satisfied. Still, good game though! Well-made 2D platformers still somehow aren't an extremely saturated genre despite the millions of pixely vaguely retro games flooding every game platform these days so if you're in want of one of those it's definitely worth playing.

Also the slight feeling of incompleteness may be curbed by the extra playable characters that are apparently coming later (maybe when the official release date of 20th hits? currently the menu says coming soon, and the backer version is definitely somewhat early access)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My crazy eShop story today: I downloaded Super Mario 64 DS and played straight through 74 stars. First time I ever ran my gamepad battery dry because my kid was enthralled and attentive the whole time.

This game is kind of crazy in how full featured it is and how much stuff in it wound up in future Mario platformers, like getting five silver stars, four playable characters, character exclusive stars. The music when you save sounds like a group of notes from the Super Mario Galaxy hub world. Everyone is "on model" up to the present day, which I guess these models were established in Sunshine.

It's kind of like playing Mario 64 for the first time. It's so similar yet so different. I wish they would remake this version in HD with a proper dual stick setup. But it feels like a weird experiment that if they ever remake 64 they'll start from the original and add content, ignoring the stuff in this version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
EB Games AU has Star Fox Zero for $20 as part of their Mad Monday online sale if anyone's been hoping for a discount.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin 2 (Wii U) and Demon's Crest (3DS) are coming to PAL-land this week.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

greatn posted:

My crazy eShop story today: I downloaded Super Mario 64 DS and played straight through 74 stars. First time I ever ran my gamepad battery dry because my kid was enthralled and attentive the whole time.

This game is kind of crazy in how full featured it is and how much stuff in it wound up in future Mario platformers, like getting five silver stars, four playable characters, character exclusive stars. The music when you save sounds like a group of notes from the Super Mario Galaxy hub world. Everyone is "on model" up to the present day, which I guess these models were established in Sunshine.

It's kind of like playing Mario 64 for the first time. It's so similar yet so different. I wish they would remake this version in HD with a proper dual stick setup. But it feels like a weird experiment that if they ever remake 64 they'll start from the original and add content, ignoring the stuff in this version.
Yeah 64DS is a lot better than people give it credit for, although bear in mind it plays much better on the WiiU's analog stick than on the DS -pad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Most of 64DS's problems are tied to the limitations of the DS, namely moving around in 3D space with a D-Pad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It also looks like poo poo compared to the original on a TV other than the updated models.

I'd love a remake that combined elements of both someday.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Augus posted:

Most of 64DS's problems are tied to the limitations of the DS, namely moving around in 3D space with a D-Pad.

Are there any concessions for the WiiU joystick, or do you still have to hold B to run?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The T posted:

Are there any concessions for the WiiU joystick, or do you still have to hold B to run?

They don't do things like that with the VC games. The only one with any significant modifying ever was Pokemon and even that was kind of outside-the-game stuff to allow for wireless play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Only rarely do they go the extra mile other than straight ROM rips of games. Mario Advance 4 was another notable one since they patched in every e-reader level.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Mega Man Battle Network games had some small tweaks made, they just handed you all the chips that you originally could only get from trading with another GBA, so you'd be able to play the content that required you to collect all chips.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of GBA/DS VC games have link/wifi content unlocked from the start and there have been some other little oddities, like Japan getting an unreleased JP version of Game & Watch Gallery Advance.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The T posted:

Even though it is still just digital movement in eight directions, using the stick just feels better and more natural than the d pad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

10 points await anyone who helps their Mii fish the shiny out of the water on the main MN page.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/playtonicgames/status/808597492992536576

Yooka-Laylee has been canceled on Wii U. If you backed that version like I did, you can get a refund or change your pledge to any of the other versions including Switch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yooka-Laylee has been canceled on Wii U. If you backed that version like I did, you can get a refund or change your pledge to any of the other versions including Switch.

Mind you, they didn't say they canceled the Wii U version, but the odds aren't good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

Mind you, they didn't say they canceled the Wii U version, but the odds aren't good.

They did.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/faq/

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Well, they could have been clearer from the get-go.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently some My Nintendo members are getting invites to try the Switch early.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone remember Tank Troopers, the 3DS eShop game Nintendo revealed in the last Direct video? No? Well, it's out in Japan next week for 800yen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJjL0kATFo

13 characters, 32 tanks, 30 single-player missions and local multiplayer with download play for up to 6 players (but no online...), plus a corny vocal tune.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The T posted:

This is still so weird to me. I don't mind it in most Mario games but a run button for Mario 64 just ain't right

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Get a thumb strap, nerds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Get a thumb strap, nerds.

I wish I still had mine. I wonder how well it would work with KI Uprising.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish I still had mine. I wonder how well it would work with KI Uprising.
I tried it when KIU first came out, its really not suited for it. Thumb straps are good for virtual analog sticks which is altogether the wrong way to play KIU.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Looper posted:

This is still so weird to me. I don't mind it in most Mario games but a run button for Mario 64 just ain't right

I actually hate the run button in 3D World

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
NA is getting Excitebots tomorrow.

Honestly, at this point I use the Wii U as a Wii more than for Wii U games...which is great because I never had a Wii. My Wii U is going to be my Wii binge machine for years to come.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Excitebots was amazing. Too bad it won't support online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeExM-jOao

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 15, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish we'd get more Wii games that support the classic controller so then we can play them on just the gamepad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish we'd get more Wii games that support the classic controller so then we can play them on just the gamepad.

The Last Story not getting a release is honestly mindboggling, considering Pandora's Tower got one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo doesn't outright own The Last Story so they probably didn't think it was worth the effort to bring it back.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They're wrong

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Spellman posted:

Excitebots was amazing. Too bad it won't support online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeExM-jOao

Or come to europe again.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 15):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Minecraft Story Mode: The Complete Adventure - €34.99 / £28.99
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Teslapunk - €9.99 / £8.99
    Breakout Defense - €7.00 / £7.00
    Scribble - €2.99 / £2.99
    Test your Mind - €1.99 / £1.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    New Play Control! Pikmin 2 - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - €6.74 / £5.36 until December 22
    Assassins Creed 3 (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until December 29
    Assassins Creed 4 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £9.99 until December 29
    Just Dance 2017 (Wii U) - €28.99 / £23.99 until December 29
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until December 29
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 until December 29
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U) - €9.89 / £6.59 until December 29
    Watch_Underscore_D_0_G_Z (Wii U) - €14.99 / £12.49 until December 29
    ZombiU (Wii U) - €7.99 / £6.39 until December 29
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - €4.94 / £3.95 until December 29
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until December 29
    Legend of Kay Anniversary (Wii U) - €5.99 / £3.99 until December 29
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until January 5

NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Galaxy Blasters - €1.49 / £1.39
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Johnny Dynamite - €1.49 / £1.29 until January 5, standard price €1.99 / £1.29
    Kutar Burger Factory - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Concert Staff - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar End Credits - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Jump Rope - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Magic Ball - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Powder Factory - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Ski Lift - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Quiz - €0.99 / £0.89
    Kutar Tube Rider - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse DLC
  • Lore 1: Parallel Universes - free!
  • Lore 2: Observation Explained - free!
  • Extra Difficulty Levels - free!
  • The Inverted Pyramid - €1.99 / £1.49
  • A Godslayer Needs Jewels - €2.99 / £1.99
  • A Trip to Hawaii - €2.49 / £1.79
  • Explosive Epidemic in Mikado - €1.99 / £1.49
    7th Dragon Code VFD DLC
  • Code: Lucifer - free until December 22, standard price €1.99 / £1.49
  • Code: To My Beloved Unit 13 - free until December 22, standard price €1.49/£0.99
  • Code: Allie's Death March - free until December 22, standard price €1.49/£0.99
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Demon's Crest (SNES) - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS MENU THEMES (December 16)
    Amanojaku - €1.99 / £1.79
    Bad∞End∞Night - €1.99 / £1.79
    Karakuri Pierrot - €1.99 / £1.79
    Aa, Subarashiki Nyan-Sei - €1.99 / £1.79
    Tale of the Deep-sea Lily - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £1.87 until December 22
    Farming Simulator '14 (3DS) - €7.50 / £5.00 until December 29
    A-Train 3D: City Simulator (3DS eShop) - €12.49 / £9.99 until December 29
    Ambition of the Slimes (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.89 until January 5
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until January 5
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until December 31

NA update (week of December 15):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Minecraft Story Mode: The Complete Experience - $?
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Breakout Defense - $7.00
    Scribble - $3.99
WII DOWNLOADS ON WII U
    Excitebots: Trick Racing - $19.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Picross e7 - $5.99
    Mercenaries Saga 3 - $5.99
NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Demon's Crest - $7.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS

The biggest release of this week isn't for either platform - it's Super Mario Run, which launches on iOS in a few hours. It's "free-to-start", ie you get the first 4 levels free and have to pay $10 for the other 20, and it's been confirmed that even the core single-player, non-social portion of the game requires an internet connection to play, ugh.

As a Super Mario Run launch promo, My Nintendo NA is discounting all your favourite Mario games: Mario Tennis N64, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, NES Open Tournament Golf and Wrecking Crew. (They've also confirmed that you can unlock Toad as a playable character in Super Mario Run via My Nintendo.)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's almost midnight in Japan and still no Mario. Funny that they missed their date here.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You need an internet connection to play Super Mario Run? That's very weird.

My nephew and niece regularly play games on my families phones/tablets and they've pretty much had it drilled into them that when they're using them they have to switch Airplane Mode on.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Why the hell are there like twelve Breakout games for sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

You need an internet connection to play Super Mario Run?

Yes.

Nintendo explicitly cited DRM as the reason they did it. :lol: