Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, everything to do with computer components is inherently embarrassing, but at least some companies make cool boxes. The Strix boxes look nice, now they've phased out the robotic owl they were using.

Current Intel boxes are nice, but the older i5, i7 a e s t h e t i c Vaporwave boxes were damned funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
why not just rip off Intel's naming strategy and call it <single letter><corez> or something

ryzen is plain bad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, Ryzen seems fine

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Did nobody make fun of Athlon? I know Phenom got some jabs.

Holy crap, that is in the actual livestream. How the hell do you not only miss that (hell Powerpoint has built in Spell Checker), and also have that Battlefront demo not queued up Before they get to you? No Rehersal or QA before a Public event of such limited scope?

Reddit must be having a field day complaining about the Marketing team once again. I loved that thread from last time that AMD linked their Open Positions page to people that "thought they could do better"

Apparently they didn't hire anyone between then and now.

Harik posted:

Jesus I'm a dumbfuck. Here's what actually happened: Because both DIMMS were on the same channel, the MB said "You're obviously too stupid to overclock, I'm going to run the memory at something I know is safe." I've had this wrong for FIVE loving YEARS: 12/9/2011 from newegg. Built it immediately and haven't taken it apart since.

I put them in different colored slots because same color = same channel, right? Nope! So now it's 1 & 3 and suddenly the BIOS options unlocked and I could select 1833 and XMP-1. I'd say "Geez, what a difference" but I'd have to feed it an x264 encode to be sure and I didn't really bench it before I switched them.

I don't think I would have figured out there was a problem if it wasn't for dicking around with this "UserBenchmark" thing. Shows you where each component lands vs other people with the same component - so I was getting 17th percentile compared to everyone else who owns DDR3-1866 RAM. Fixing it put me up at 94th - obviously a lot of people buy 1866 because the number is higher, then put it in systems that run it at 1600 by default.

Thanks guys, I feel really stupid now. Apparently I'm just bad at computers despite having built my own since '94.

Whats your CPU-Z look like now? Did you check the bios to see if the ram is running in 1T as well? That alone will give you another good boost if you aren't already.
And welcome to your free upgraded PC lol. Should be a lot better now for more than just Encoding. Now to Overclock and get another good boost.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can DDR4 run at 1T comfortably, or is that more the exception? Looking it up on the web, it seems more the latter.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Did nobody make fun of Athlon? I know Phenom got some jabs.

IIRC Athlon, Opteron, and Duron were all roundly mocked by netwarriors when they were first announced.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Drakhoran posted:

IIRC Athlon, Opteron, and Duron were all roundly mocked by netwarriors when they were first announced.

Duron especially, think Durex

But hey, doesn't matter now

As to those who think "Ryzen" is a poo poo name, I say.. gently caress it, we'll get used to it, and it really doesn't matter

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HalloKitty posted:

Duron especially, think Durex

But hey, doesn't matter now

As to those who think "Ryzen" is a poo poo name, I say.. gently caress it, we'll get used to it, and it really doesn't matter

People made fun of the iPad's name a LOT pre-release, but you never heard anyone giggling at it after like, 2 months post-release.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

EdEddnEddy posted:

Whats your CPU-Z look like now? Did you check the bios to see if the ram is running in 1T as well? That alone will give you another good boost if you aren't already.
And welcome to your free upgraded PC lol. Should be a lot better now for more than just Encoding. Now to Overclock and get another good boost.

It's been running a 4.5ghz OC pretty stably. I tried 1T, but p95 large FFTs (some RAM) are starting to throw errors. I need to nail down if it's CPU or RAM then I'll know what's stable.

Hmm - is there an in-windows memory test? I don't think the good-old memtest86 will be useful because the bios OC is different than the running one. I guess I could try to match them.

Edit: I'll followup in the OC thread, this has really wandered off-topic.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I lost my thermal paste and I'm having one hell of a time finding anyone that stocks it. Only thing I could find was Nexxtech thermal grease which I'm assuming won't fill the same role for the CPU correct? Just want to assemble all these parts already since I've had them almost a week.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Did you get a new cooler or are you reusing an old one? Outside of custom stuff a new cooler should have thermal paste thats pretty good already applied.

Otherwise no local computer shops to nab some from?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It's the fan that comes with the CPU. Didn't see anything inside the box or stuck to the heatsink. Guess I can order some but delivery will take forever this time of year.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If it is new in box, there isn't a grey circle under the plastic cover on the bottom of the Heatsink? If it's used then I can understand that missing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It's new and I'm am idiot. It was covered up, just had to peel the film off. Can you tell it's been a few years since I've done this? :downs:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Furnaceface posted:

It's new and I'm am idiot. It was covered up, just had to peel the film off. Can you tell it's been a few years since I've done this? :downs:

I once had a whole batch of IBM workstations (pre-lenovo buyout) that showed up with the plastic still covering the thermal compound. As you can imagine, an airgap does not make for great cooling.

The poor sods in the accounting department were actually using the loving things, they couldn't have been much faster than a 386. I didn't find out about it until the complaints reached my department and I popped one open - and started laughing.

Needless to say, everyone was very impressed with my "performance tuneup".

You really don't need much - I had something like a 1/4 oz tube that lasted me for years. Nice for those "Oh gently caress, I've got the wrong mounting kit for this heatsink, I need to go back to the previous one that I just cleaned all the compound off of." moments that happen from time to time.

My current tube (1/2 oz arctic silver I got for a few bucks) I expect to lose long before it runs out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

why not just rip off Intel's naming strategy and call it <single letter><corez> or something

ryzen is plain bad

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AEMINAL posted:

ryzen is plain bad

Marketing has to be going with the redemption/phoenix :supaburn: angle. Now with EXTREME alternate spelling for market clade triangulation.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Its features include "Precision Boost", "SenseMI", "Pure Power" and "Neural Net Prediction". Not quite as good but still very 90's / 2000-ish.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don't forget "Scary Smart Prediction" :iiam:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Holy crap, that is in the actual livestream. How the hell do you not only miss that (hell Powerpoint has built in Spell Checker)

Look, we've got a lot of cool new BrranD Namez, so run spell checker and hit Add to Dictionary to everything that comes up in these slides.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Don't forget "Derek Smart Prediction" :iiam:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Harik posted:

I once had a whole batch of IBM workstations (pre-lenovo buyout) that showed up with the plastic still covering the thermal compound. As you can imagine, an airgap does not make for great cooling.

The poor sods in the accounting department were actually using the loving things, they couldn't have been much faster than a 386. I didn't find out about it until the complaints reached my department and I popped one open - and started laughing.

Needless to say, everyone was very impressed with my "performance tuneup".

You really don't need much - I had something like a 1/4 oz tube that lasted me for years. Nice for those "Oh gently caress, I've got the wrong mounting kit for this heatsink, I need to go back to the previous one that I just cleaned all the compound off of." moments that happen from time to time.

My current tube (1/2 oz arctic silver I got for a few bucks) I expect to lose long before it runs out.

Yeah what I lost was my arctic silver tube from a few years ago. I just like having it around as a just in case so Im ordering another.

Also good news, everything seems to function. CPU temp doesnt spike, all the fans work, and Im not getting any errors. Seems like my paranoia was unwarranted. :toot:

Now to actually test this thing out with some Warhammer. :dance:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still have an old tube of MX2.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I think I finally ran out of my AS5 I got from CompUSA back in like 2003. I have been using a tube of ICDiamond since then, and have a ton of other random ones around from various Heatsink cooler kits. Zalman, Thermalright, etc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have two tubes of EK-TIM laying around now too.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You might need it if you want to overclock a Kabylake. i7-7700k delids are getting ~30C drop in temps. With the OEM heat spreader and TIM they were getting over 95C at times with a decent watercooler (Corsair H110i in quiet mode) when overclocking.

This seems almost worse than Devil's Canyon to me.

If its all that hard or expensive to do a good heatspread/TIM I can't help but wonder if they just shouldn't bother with them and just surround the die with a ring of metal or plastic to keep it from getting crushed and go old school bare die for K overclocker's chips at least. I'd have no problem with it but I also didn't mind the old bare die Duron's, P!!!'s, and Athlon's either so maybe my brain is broken.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Harik posted:

Jesus I'm a dumbfuck. Here's what actually happened: Because both DIMMS were on the same channel, the MB said "You're obviously too stupid to overclock, I'm going to run the memory at something I know is safe." I've had this wrong for FIVE loving YEARS: 12/9/2011 from newegg. Built it immediately and haven't taken it apart since.

I put them in different colored slots because same color = same channel, right? Nope! So now it's 1 & 3 and suddenly the BIOS options unlocked and I could select 1833 and XMP-1. I'd say "Geez, what a difference" but I'd have to feed it an x264 encode to be sure and I didn't really bench it before I switched them.

I don't think I would have figured out there was a problem if it wasn't for dicking around with this "UserBenchmark" thing. Shows you where each component lands vs other people with the same component - so I was getting 17th percentile compared to everyone else who owns DDR3-1866 RAM. Fixing it put me up at 94th - obviously a lot of people buy 1866 because the number is higher, then put it in systems that run it at 1600 by default.

Thanks guys, I feel really stupid now. Apparently I'm just bad at computers despite having built my own since '94.

That UserBenchmark tool is pretty neat; I'd never heard of it before. Took a look and confirmed that my computer was mid-range in performance compared to identical configurations, which was comforting. But it's got me thinking again about upgrading my SSD to a larger, faster solid state.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd like enthusiast chips with a shim ring around the die as well, GPU style. I'll get around to delidding my 6600k at some point and use an aqua computers shim.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If delidding gives me temps like my 1070 under water, I'd be interested in doing it. Maybe.

This poo poo's 300+ USD, man...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Intel could probably make more money on their "Performance Tuning Protection Plans" if they added a second tier (more expensive, obviously), for people who choose to de-lid their processors. Or, even better, for the increase in price, have Intel do it professionally *for you*, or start selling "XK" delidded chips themselves, direct-to-consumer or boutique seller.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 16, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I remember the good old times when buying my athlon processors "tray". The cpu came in a tiny bare cardboard box and had nothing extra. No heatspreaders ot anything, just a naked die. I wish we could go back to thise simpler times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You might need it if you want to overclock a Kabylake. i7-7700k delids are getting ~30C drop in temps. With the OEM heat spreader and TIM they were getting over 95C at times with a decent watercooler (Corsair H110i in quiet mode) when overclocking.

This seems almost worse than Devil's Canyon to me.

If its all that hard or expensive to do a good heatspread/TIM I can't help but wonder if they just shouldn't bother with them and just surround the die with a ring of metal or plastic to keep it from getting crushed and go old school bare die for K overclocker's chips at least. I'd have no problem with it but I also didn't mind the old bare die Duron's, P!!!'s, and Athlon's either so maybe my brain is broken.
the TIM is worse than original haswell's, that's pretty loving special

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sincx posted:

Sandy Bridge really was special. Sandy Bridge was the last generation of mainstream Intel chips that had a soldered heatspreader.

Hopefully AMD will do it properly and forces intel to compete.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's amusing how quickly the conversation has changed in the past few months. It's been what, seven? years of a steady drumbeat of "physics is hard! we hit fundamental limits! can't do any better you're just not smart enough to understand!" while Intel is just lazily minting money. Seven years of pointing out that the "physics" argument is utter horseshit and getting dogpiled/downvoted/whatever for it, or for daring to criticize Intel. They have a million PhDs, you think you know more about chip design than them? How dare you.

For these seven years If you point out the simple truth that they just haven't had any competition and that's the only reason a 6700k is barely better than a 2500k people used to lose their loving minds. No you're just dumb and don't understand physics! Do you even know what a nanometer is? It's like really tiny bro! Moore's law is dead because physics is too hard, I read it in wired it must be true.

Now it's a complete 180, anyone talking about "physics" is getting dogpiled on, and there's this blind faith that everything is going to get way better now that AMD is finally executing again.

I'm not even bitching about SA, this place is better than most other communities for sure, seems like people are a bit more on the ball and skeptical of the horseshit wired/verge/hn barfs out. On shittier sites like reddit et al people used to get banned or have comments deleted for daring to point out that Intel is just sitting on their hands, because this revealed how ignorant of "physics" they are.

I just love how we're all at war with Eurasia again and that's how it's always been, 2016 is amazing.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's amusing how quickly the conversation has changed in the past few months. It's been what, seven? years of a steady drumbeat of "physics is hard! we hit fundamental limits! can't do any better you're just not smart enough to understand!" while Intel is just lazily minting money. Seven years of pointing out that the "physics" argument is utter horseshit and getting dogpiled/downvoted/whatever for it, or for daring to criticize Intel. They have a million PhDs, you think you know more about chip design than them? How dare you.

For these seven years If you point out the simple truth that they just haven't had any competition and that's the only reason a 6700k is barely better than a 2500k people used to lose their loving minds. No you're just dumb and don't understand physics! Do you even know what a nanometer is? It's like really tiny bro! Moore's law is dead because physics is too hard, I read it in wired it must be true.

Now it's a complete 180, anyone talking about "physics" is getting dogpiled on, and there's this blind faith that everything is going to get way better now that AMD is finally executing again.

I'm not even bitching about SA, this place is better than most other communities for sure, seems like people are a bit more on the ball and skeptical of the horseshit wired/verge/hn barfs out. On shittier sites like reddit et al people used to get banned or have comments deleted for daring to point out that Intel is just sitting on their hands, because this revealed how ignorant of "physics" they are.

I just love how we're all at war with Eurasia again and that's how it's always been, 2016 is amazing.

maybe take a break from the interwebz for a while. i think you might be conversating with yourself

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
What if I told you that the Ryzen was twice as fast as a 2500k because it had 2x as many cores and that we only care because it's not going to cost a grand?

This message will be deleted once Intel finds it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there, process shrinks have slowed due to a lack of competition AND ALSO because physics. :aaa:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, hasn't Intel been pretty up-front about prioritizing low power consumption over increased performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What a crazy straw man argument. Why did you type all that? Yes, some people here have been unreasonably on one side of that silly argument or the other. On the whole though, I think we have a pretty nuanced view of the pressures, both profit and physics wise.

Hope you feel better.