Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I haven't been able to see the blue jackets play this year (I'm not in their broadcast zone). Why are they playing so well?

Power play has been spectacular, Bobrovsky is back in great form, and Sam loving Gagner of all people is leading them in goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Islanders sure love to give up in the third period.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well at least Sutter and Gudbranson were on point.

Speaking of which, Gudbranson autocorrects to "The random". Fair enough.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Well at least Sutter and Gudbranson were on point.

Speaking of which, Gudbranson autocorrects to "The random". Fair enough.

Gudbranson was the worst player on the ice by a country mile.

He's prime time Sbisa level terrible at the moment.

Actually most of his career.

Someone please give us a pick for him :sigh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Metro's records will fall once they stop playing around in the West and face the power of the mighty Atlantic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
like tonight, when the Bruins will surely dominate the Penguins

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Cats got destroyed last night and their coach/GM is already threatening to replace players in his post game interviews.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

lmao that's great. Sorry, CAS.

Out of curiosity I looked up scoring by period. Here's the teams that get dunked on the most in the third.

-Lol Canucks get dunked on in the third. Carolina game didn't help.
-Canucks really don't like scoring in the first period.
-Philly REALLY likes to score in the second period :stare: Does the long change help them/not affect them as much with what they're doing?
-The Jets love to give up in the second period.
-Islanders do comparatively give up more goals in the third.

Kind of silly of my to look at goals by period and saying "hurr durr more goals in the third wut r scoring FX?" I'm just havin' fun takin' a casual looksie at numbers.

As always, Fire Capuano.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brain Curry posted:

Cats got destroyed last night and their coach/GM is already threatening to replace players in his post game interviews.

Somewhere, Gerrard Gallant is relaxing over a cup of coffee with his wife and looking forward to spending a nice Christmas with his kids.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Rotten Cookies posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

-Philly REALLY likes to score in the second period :stare: Does the long change help them/not affect them as much with what they're doing?

It's mostly that they've had a habit of slow starts for a couple years now. I think last year they were one of the worst first period teams but best 2nd. It's been weird.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I just want to point out that the Wings (.724 - .690) and Habs (.865 - .826) are the only two teams in the league since the start of last season whose win percentage actually goes down when leading after two vs. leading after one

thc: not once not ever

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Somewhere, Gerrard Gallant is relaxing over a cup of coffee with his wife and looking forward to spending a nice Christmas with his kids.

Here's the video. I love Rowe the coach bitching about the players he was given by Rowe the GM.

https://twitter.com/foxsportsfl/status/808889513120387072

Rowe is also asked if he talked to Lu after the game. Rowe seems to take it as an attack on Lu, but I read it as concern for your starting goalie after he smashes his stick and almost takes out Troch.

https://youtu.be/IGx3vzbR4QU

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 14, 2016

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teemu Pokemon posted:

1/3 through the season and the Wings are only 4 points out of a playoff spot despite being terrible for the last two months. Who was the jamoke earlier in this/Nov. thread who said Holland was going to sell Vanek at the deadline because fuckin lol

They should just replace all of the in-game PA music with an organ version of Nearer My God To Thee

The Red Wings still employ a terrible wedding DJ, so a '90s techno version of Nearer My God To Thee.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bigass Moth posted:

I haven't been able to see the blue jackets play this year (I'm not in their broadcast zone). Why are they playing so well?

In addition to what DJExile said, up front, there are forwards you expect to put up points (Saad, Hartnell, Atkinson), guys you expect to/hope will (re-)emerge (Wennberg, Foligno), and complete wild cards who you have no idea how they're going to do (Josh Anderson, Gagner). They're all scoring. The slumps of Jenner and Dubinsky (Dubi's clawing out of his hole) have been adequately covered by guys like Wennberg (still near a PPG pace), Foligno (still near a PPG pace and back to 2014-15 form), Anderson (8 goals), and The .6 Million Dollar Man Sam Gagner and his dozen goals after Torts scratched him.

On the blue line, Ryan Murray was once regarded as the top defenseman on the CBJ. He's now on the third pair with a guy who was flying to Blackhawks development camp until he arrived in the US to the news he'd been drafted (Markus Nutivaara) because of the two-headed monster that is Jones-Werenski and the second pair of JMFJ-David Savard which has found a way to also play really well of late. Nutivaara has also displaced Dalton Prout, so the number of assists on opposing goals has plummeted.

And then you have :cop:, who has lost all five regulation games but is still at 1.94/.934. Even Curtis McElhinney is yet to lose in regulation and putting up career-saving numbers at 2.03/.930. I think one bullet was dodged in that Korpisalo is having a nasty sophomore slump but, unlike Steve Mason, he's doing it in the AHL.

Leading them all is John "LOL Torts" Tortorella, who has instituted a "Days Off Pays Off" policy where good games are rewarded with fewer/no practices, morning skates are virtually non-existent, the D-to-D pass is obsolete, and a training camp some people rolled their eyes at has resulted in a team which, as intended, is a monster in the third period (the CBJ are like 7-5-2 when trailing or tied after the 2nd period). The PK regressed to midpack after being Top 5 in the league for a while, but the PP is still red hot.

TL;DR- Forwards scoring, D vastly improved, Bob Really Good, Torts reformed, special teams ranging from OK to incredible.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

ThinkTank posted:

Just imagine that the Canucks have already torn it all down and they're taking a chance on a former top pick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but Gudbranson is worse now than Sbisa ever was for the Canucks, and this is loving terrifying to think of.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Just imagine that the Canucks have already torn it all down and they're taking a chance on a former top pick.

Imagine there's no Benning
It's easy if you try
No Gud behind us
Linden we'd still abide

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

In addition to what DJExile said, up front, there are forwards you expect to put up points (Saad, Hartnell, Atkinson), guys you expect to/hope will (re-)emerge (Wennberg, Foligno), and complete wild cards who you have no idea how they're going to do (Josh Anderson, Gagner). They're all scoring. The slumps of Jenner and Dubinsky (Dubi's clawing out of his hole) have been adequately covered by guys like Wennberg (still near a PPG pace), Foligno (still near a PPG pace and back to 2014-15 form), Anderson (8 goals), and The .6 Million Dollar Man Sam Gagner and his dozen goals after Torts scratched him.

On the blue line, Ryan Murray was once regarded as the top defenseman on the CBJ. He's now on the third pair with a guy who was flying to Blackhawks development camp until he arrived in the US to the news he'd been drafted (Markus Nutivaara) because of the two-headed monster that is Jones-Werenski and the second pair of JMFJ-David Savard which has found a way to also play really well of late. Nutivaara has also displaced Dalton Prout, so the number of assists on opposing goals has plummeted.

And then you have :cop:, who has lost all five regulation games but is still at 1.94/.934. Even Curtis McElhinney is yet to lose in regulation and putting up career-saving numbers at 2.03/.930. I think one bullet was dodged in that Korpisalo is having a nasty sophomore slump but, unlike Steve Mason, he's doing it in the AHL.

Leading them all is John "LOL Torts" Tortorella, who has instituted a "Days Off Pays Off" policy where good games are rewarded with fewer/no practices, morning skates are virtually non-existent, the D-to-D pass is obsolete, and a training camp some people rolled their eyes at has resulted in a team which, as intended, is a monster in the third period (the CBJ are like 7-5-2 when trailing or tied after the 2nd period). The PK regressed to midpack after being Top 5 in the league for a while, but the PP is still red hot.

TL;DR- Forwards scoring, D vastly improved, Bob Really Good, Torts reformed, special teams ranging from OK to incredible.

Yea this is all pretty accurate. The biggest difference, and most significant IMO, is the decisiveness of the team. For years, they were a team where everyone held the puck a little too long, waiting a little too long to shoot and basically handled the puck in every facet with little to no confidence. They're trusting themselves more in every way. The failures of this team made everyone on it worry more about the possible failures of trying more than the fact that you have to try to actually accomplish whatever it is you need to do.

They're just a really confident team right now. The defensive overhaul has been tremendous and the Jones-Johansen deal looks like the best thing they've ever done. Werenski is in his first season and is playing like the best defensemen the franchise has ever had. Even Jack Johnson looks loving confident out there instead of being the hockey equivalent of Eeyore like usual.

The stuff coming from the local media about Torts has been pretty insightful though. It seems like being with a franchise where most everyone is young has made him loosen his hatred of younger players significantly and he's even openly made comments about how he's seeing that not all mistakes are bad mistakes if the intent in them isn't from a place of stupidity.

At the end of the day, Trust is the biggest difference this year. They trust themselves, Torts trusts them, they trust each other, Bob trusts the defense. As a longtime fan it's amazing to finally see it. Even if things regress, its evident they're moving in the right direction.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/helenenothelen/status/809087944220872704

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just stuffed the ballot box with 10 phil votes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
The canucks are very bad

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/12/13/evaluating-willie-desjardins-lineup-decisions

quote:

We're going to talk about Brandon Sutter again. I'm sorry. It's just so much worse than I originally imagined. The Sedin-Sedin-Sutter line, Vancouver's most-used line combination this season, is currently sporting an atrocious expected goals-for percentage of 36.16%. xGF% is a metric that's designed to predict goal-differential based on the quality and quantity of shots a player or combination of players creates versus what they give up. The reason I've chosen to focus on this is that it should, in theory, be something that even an old-school coach should be concerned about and have an eye for. At even strength, the Sedins and Sutter have performed worse by this metric than the Dorsett-Cracknell-Prust combination from last season.

haha

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seeing Vancouver self destruct is better than if Boston had won another Cup.

Is what I keep telling myself.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hansen has been back with the twins for the last couple games, and somehow they've been even worse. Daniel and Henrik have declined hard in 2016, and they've seemingly given up on the season. They need to be traded as soon as possible before their value whittles away to nothing. On a real contender they'd make a great second line, but they're completely spent in Vancouver.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

mother of god

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Can't give up if you never really tried in the first place.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think a really important thing that people are not bringing up about CBJ is that they've been healthy so far.

I am of the opinion that a lot of CBJ's success is because they're good at getting the puck (especially from the boards), holding on to the puck (especially on the boards), and moving the puck around. I think most of that has to do with the players they have these days, especially on defense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Phil Kessel back checking really hard surprised the hell out of me too, Ron.

Seriously though that sucks. 61 seems too young to be having a stroke.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

At this stage, even a puck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I was so happy when Sutter was gone. He is a blackhole of possession yet he can fool teams into thinking he's a good player because he's got the hands and shot to pot 15-20 goals a season so you're like huh this guy is pretty good. Then you realize that when he's not scoring the occasional rush goal he's spending the rest of his time pinned in his own end for minutes a time and negatively affecting any linemates he has.

e: David Backes is still upset about Kessel mocking team USA for leaving him off in favor of Justin Abdelkader or whoever the gently caress:

quote:

"As a fellow countryman, and I don't want to parallel it to the military because what we do is not even close to their sacrifice, but those guys that aren't selected for a mission still support their fellow comrades and wish them the best, and aren't going to sling mud if things aren't going well," Backes said.

"We made a lot of parallels to the military during the World Cup, and just in my mind it was something that if I'm not selected for the next Olympics, or the next international event, I'll still be wearing red, white and blue at home and cheering those guys on and wishing them the best. That's my nature. If there's a little comedy that comes out of it on [Kessel's] side, when in reality we had a mission and we failed."

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 14, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I don't want to compare what we do to the military, but here let me do it anyway."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruin support are troop

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I appreciate the sacrifices that people in the military make, but god drat do I hate American military culture and especially its intersection with sports culture.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's too bad Abdelkader wasn't left behind

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mods, namechange to Baby Backes Bitch pls

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

Mods, namechange to Baby Backes Bitch pls

I prefer brent burned ends.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol there are still people salty about Phil's tweet

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ginette Reno posted:

e: David Backes is still upset about Kessel mocking team USA for leaving him off in favor of Justin Abdelkader or whoever the gently caress:

Backes needs to do less whining and more winning imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think generally the soldiers not chosen for a mission are supporting the other guys because they're potentially going to their deaths.

Not just going to play hockey.

Alan Thicke notwithstanding.

• Locked thread