Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I mean if the Catwoman thing turns out to be a lie, then fine, but it's still stupid. I don't really get what the point of her lying to Batman about murdering 200+ people is. To push him away? He clearly doesn't believe it, so that doesn't work. The way he's writing Selina in general makes very little sense right now, unless she's pulling a massive con over both Batman and Bane.

Honestly I think King is like Morrison, in that he does best when he's allowed to have his own sandbox. He got that with Grayson, Vision, Omega Men and his Vertigo book Sheriff of Babylon, and all those books are incredible. I personally was never a big fan of Morrison's Batman* but I liked a lot of his other stuff, like Multiversity.

*-This does not include Batman & Robin, which is perfect in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lotus circle posted:

I mean if the Catwoman thing turns out to be a lie, then fine, but it's still stupid. I don't really get what the point of her lying to Batman about murdering 200+ people is. To push him away? He clearly doesn't believe it, so that doesn't work. The way he's writing Selina in general makes very little sense right now, unless she's pulling a massive con over both Batman and Bane.

Honestly I think King is like Morrison, in that he does best when he's allowed to have his own sandbox. He got that with Grayson, Vision, Omega Men and his Vertigo book Sheriff of Babylon, and all those books are incredible. I personally was never a big fan of Morrison's Batman* but I liked a lot of his other stuff, like Multiversity.

*-This does not include Batman & Robin, which is perfect in every way.

I think it's to set up the focus of their relationship in a way that isn't just "Bruce wants to rehab Selina". Putting a detective spin on things. Bruce knows she's full of poo poo and never killed anyone despite how hard she claims it, but he can't find the truth, and she wont tell him the truth. It adds the detective element to their relationship. And I think the intent is to put a heavy boot in all the people who joke about Joker and Batman being obsessed with each other. By giving Selina something to focus him.

I think he's intending to elevate her to the top of the Gallery and, if I'm honest, I have no problems with that idea because gently caress the Joker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There are better ways to achieve that though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm still of the opinion that King could manage to thread that needle. Whatever larger story he's telling, everything he's done so far will live or die based on how well he nails his dismount and Batman so far has both been good enough and bad enough at different points in the run that I can honestly see it going either way.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Onmi posted:

I think he's intending to elevate her to the top of the Gallery and, if I'm honest, I have no problems with that idea because gently caress the Joker.
Okay but see that's the problem - Selina isn't part of the gallery. She has been morphed into an anti-hero since Ed Brubaker wrote her first solo run. Her and Batman don't always see eye to eye, but she is far more closely associated with the Batfamily than the Rogues Gallery now. Hell even the arc where she was a mob boss, her goal was to take down the mob from within its system. She's not a hero, but I think it's disingenuous to call her a Rogue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't agree with the criticisms of the narration. It would be one thing if it was just Batman describing what he was doing on the page, but it's written as a response letter to Catwoman's in an earlier issue (I think 9?) Removing it would just make it a dull issue of nothing but splash pages and action scenes, but I with it, I really enjoy this way of writing in the conflict between Bruce and Selina without either of them being around each other.

Granted, Catwoman is one of my favorite Batman villains, so that might be an element that makes me like this arc more as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm a big fan of King's style, and bringing back Ace the Bat Hound is enough to earn my loyalty regardless of whatever else he might do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My issue is that even though King's writing is better than most, the whole thing with Catwoman stinks of DC's idea that the best way to elevate a villain is to give them a large enough body count, which really does suck and also takes away from the uniqueness of the villains. Catwoman's shtick was never that she could kill 200 people before she got caught because Catwoman seldom kills at all. The idea that she needs a body count to elevate her as a rogue is just stupid, she could still be a top rogue without having to compete with Joker for most kills.

Still thinking it is going to be a cop out though. At least hoping so. I won't be one of those people who screams "not my [character]" as DC has done quite a bit of change with their characters of the years, but it does feel like it misses the whole point of the character all the same.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lotus circle posted:

Okay but see that's the problem - Selina isn't part of the gallery. She has been morphed into an anti-hero since Ed Brubaker wrote her first solo run. Her and Batman don't always see eye to eye, but she is far more closely associated with the Batfamily than the Rogues Gallery now. Hell even the arc where she was a mob boss, her goal was to take down the mob from within its system. She's not a hero, but I think it's disingenuous to call her a Rogue.

I am not trying to defend the decision, merely suss out what King is going for. So there's no point telling that to me.

Madkal posted:

My issue is that even though King's writing is better than most, the whole thing with Catwoman stinks of DC's idea that the best way to elevate a villain is to give them a large enough body count, which really does suck and also takes away from the uniqueness of the villains. Catwoman's shtick was never that she could kill 200 people before she got caught because Catwoman seldom kills at all. The idea that she needs a body count to elevate her as a rogue is just stupid, she could still be a top rogue without having to compete with Joker for most kills.

Still thinking it is going to be a cop out though. At least hoping so. I won't be one of those people who screams "not my [character]" as DC has done quite a bit of change with their characters of the years, but it does feel like it misses the whole point of the character all the same.

The entire point of this issue was Batman going "You haven't killed poo poo." And it's almost assuredly going to be revealed she didn't kill Punch or Jewlee either. Batman is claiming that she's pretending to have killed that many so that she will be killed, because she wants to die.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's obviously a goal since a cover for February (I think?) past this storyline is just the two romantically embracing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked the Batman Annual, save for that Harley Quinn story which I thought was just irritating.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah the mystery is definitely not "why did Catwoman kill a bunch of people", it's "why is Catwoman insisting that she killed a bunch of people". She's probably protecting someone IMO.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

ComicsAlliance has a decent interview with Tom King about his Batman stories, specifically the most recent issue #12.

http://comicsalliance.com/tom-king-batman-12-i-am-suicide-interview/

If you're like me you've been kind of on the fence about King's Batman run so far. I feel like every issue so far has been Just Okay, but I get the very strong feeling that the ending of his story is either going to push the whole thing into Extremely Awful or Extremely Great. It is kind of tiring reading honestly mediocre comics in the hope that it will eventually pay off but this interview at least gives me some hope that he knows what he's doing.

I found the stuff about fan reaction to his Catwoman very interesting.

"And then I made Batman a nazi! The fans hated that!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SteveEpting/status/807377082120544256

Man.

e: Could that be Julia Pennyworth in the tux?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 14, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Almost definitely.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Onmi posted:

The entire point of this issue was Batman going "You haven't killed poo poo." And it's almost assuredly going to be revealed she didn't kill Punch or Jewlee either. Batman is claiming that she's pretending to have killed that many so that she will be killed, because she wants to die.
Yeah and I guess I don't get that. Batman being suicidal is kind of a "no poo poo" sort of insertion. You don't act as loving insane as Bruce Wayne does without having some kind of death wish attached to all that, modern incarnations in mind here. Selina though? She's by no means had an easy life, but I feel like the suicidal interpretation is Tom King's attempt to put a new spin on the relationship that doesn't work for me. The angle that she might be protecting someone would make far more sense for her character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dear Santa...

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC150389

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

http://gogofundstartme.biz/campaign/8t6ha03_38le/get_teenage_fansub_this_wicked_sweet_brass_batman_sta.htm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Do you really want to be that kind of rear end in a top hat who owns a pair of handling gloves?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm kinda most interested in seeing those gloves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm kinda most interested in seeing those gloves.

Why? It's most likely just a pair of white cotton gloves that makes you look like a pretentious rear end in a top hat when handling old books. I doubt that you would look less like a pretentious rear end in a top hat lovingly handling your Batman with them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
stroke your batman without worry

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Life is short, raw dog your Batman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This looks like poo poo.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This looks like poo poo.

It looks like expensive poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

It looks like expensive poo poo.

Handling gloves or not, if you have the sort of disposable income that allows you to spend 5000$ on an ugly piece of brass chances are that you are an rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You don't need to have disposable income to buy that, you just need to make really bad decisions in your life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

You don't need to have disposable income to buy that, you just need to make really bad decisions in your life.

"Looking like an rear end in a top hat" is the endresult either way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Batman statue $5000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rumour is that there's a Damian Wayne game in the works.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Batman statue $5000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

:golfclap:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I can't believe you're buying a Batman statue every month

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I buy them once a month just for the gloves. I go through those like crazy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So how long until this spins out of control and ends with someone actually posting that they bought it after selling their car?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

So how long until this spins out of control and ends with someone actually posting that they bought it after selling their car?

Two weeks?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol at my car being worth as much as that statue. Now if I had to dig into our wedding fund for one of those I'm sure my fiance would understand.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman is so bad.

And just like I expected, King can't write Bane for poo poo. At this point it would be merciful if Bane simply stayed in the limbo instead of making him this much of a venom addicted idiot.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm liking this story-arc 100 times more than Red Hood.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
plus I feel like "making him this much of a venom-addicted idiot", when the argument he makes in the issue is that venom was bad for him and made his problems worse, is really mischaracterizing what King et al. are doing

like, he asks for it at the end, but the circumstances leading to it, namely Batman orchestrating an elaborate plan to steal Psycho Pirate from him, break his goddamn back and, as an added bonus, flipping his whole ideology against him, that's a good enough reason to go back to venom

(plus it goes with the whole theme of the arc, and of the run to a wider extent, which is about exploring the idea of Batman as an elaborate form of self-harm and whether something that unhealthy is necessary to keep Gotham safe) (and Bane is gonna demonstrate that it's really not, by going back to Venom, and then probably getting owned by Batman)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ElNarez posted:

plus I feel like "making him this much of a venom-addicted idiot", when the argument he makes in the issue is that venom was bad for him and made his problems worse, is really mischaracterizing what King et al. are doing

like, he asks for it at the end, but the circumstances leading to it, namely Batman orchestrating an elaborate plan to steal Psycho Pirate from him, break his goddamn back and, as an added bonus, flipping his whole ideology against him, that's a good enough reason to go back to venom

(plus it goes with the whole theme of the arc, and of the run to a wider extent, which is about exploring the idea of Batman as an elaborate form of self-harm and whether something that unhealthy is necessary to keep Gotham safe) (and Bane is gonna demonstrate that it's really not, by going back to Venom, and then probably getting owned by Batman)

That is exactly the problem. In his quest to make his story this "deep, psychological analysis" of Batman's psyche he's ignoring all the stuff that made Bane what it was. Is the exact same problem that happened with Morrison when he used Jason during B&R, he's cherry picking elements of the character as is convenient to move forward his plot. Characterization or research be damned.

The kicker is how the fallout of Batman's actions are at odds with the frankly, asshollish way that King is writing Bruce. Plus, you know, one of Bane's defining characteristics with his relation with Bruce is the respect they have for each other. Something completely missing on King's take.

Is kind of amazing how writers are still struggling to write a good Bane when it was perfectly defined on his first mayor appearance after Knightfall

• Locked thread