Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CapnAndy posted:

Even at his buffest in the comics Superman still isn't that muscled, just in good trim, especially compared to how strong he is. Which actually makes sense -- if you're Superman and you have to lift something like a mountain range before you start putting in more effort than normal, how are you gonna bulk up, exactly? Do reps with the Moon?

Kirkman actually came up with a solution for that in Invincible at one point. You take the hardest material you've got, and then you increase the effective weight of the rep by pushing back with a magnetic field. Assuming you're already dealing with comic book science there's no reason it wouldn't function as a workout routine, albeit an expensive one (all that magnetic 'force' has to come from electricity, after all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CapnAndy posted:

Even at his buffest in the comics Superman still isn't that muscled, just in good trim, especially compared to how strong he is. Which actually makes sense -- if you're Superman and you have to lift something like a mountain range before you start putting in more effort than normal, how are you gonna bulk up, exactly? Do reps with the Moon?

You probably pull a Goku and find some way to exercise in an environment with several hundreds times the gravity you're used to.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FredMSloniker posted:

I know that happened in the Jeff Goldblum version of 'The Fly'; were you thinking of that, or something in real life?

I think I know of the video in question and it was in real life. I wasn't able to find it mostly because typing in "arm wrestling broken arm" gets you a lot of results.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

You probably pull a Goku and find some way to exercise in an environment with several hundreds times the gravity you're used to.

in dragon ball you get super buff by powering up. stand in place and yell for a bit and you, too, can be a body builder in the world of dragon ball. except that was bad there because it made you way slower. it doesn't matter if you can win in one hit if you can't land it

physical training only seems to make you a better wizard there

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This was literally early spider-man, iirc, who was still a scrawny little manlet even when he could bench a car

in ultimate spider-man he just wakes up with muscles one day. he's still a small guy tho and can hide it with nothing but a long sleeve shirt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superheroes aren't real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Superheroes aren't real.

The gently caress you say?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Payndz posted:

I also now want to see a flying superhero have to deal with wind chill, being blinded by airborne dust particles and having their clothes torn off by the slipstream every time they go any faster than a Piper Cub.

There was a X-man who had flying powers + involuntary shapeshifting. When flying at speed, she would change to be streamlined and protected against the wind. Think she got put on a bus when they shuffled new mutants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant you just follow the footprints?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Foxfire_ posted:

There was a X-man who had flying powers + involuntary shapeshifting. When flying at speed, she would change to be streamlined and protected against the wind. Think she got put on a bus when they shuffled new mutants.

And if she got on that bus she was then blown the gently caress up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I swear this is the last one of these I will make, so as not to run this poo poo into the ground if I haven't already.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerusalem posted:

I swear this is the last one of these I will make, so as not to run this poo poo into the ground if I haven't already.

Never stop :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I know for a fact 616 Peter has used his Spider-sense as a GPS before, sometimes with the aid of technology.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's basically what his spider tracers are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

And if she got on that bus she was then blown the gently caress up

different bus. this was one of hope's posse, who have mostly either died or fallen into figurative limbo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jerusalem posted:

Begemot posted:

Never stop :allears:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress that noise :regd08:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Jerusalem posted:

Keep doing it as long as Peter keeps being a passive-aggressive dick.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:drat:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ikasuhito posted:

I think I know of the video in question and it was in real life. I wasn't able to find it mostly because typing in "arm wrestling broken arm" gets you a lot of results.

Yep, this. And I can't find it either. I did find this though: :nms: linked x-ray picture of a broken arm :nms:

According to the Wikipedia page, broken arms occour quite often because the arm bone is not designed to take stress in the direction required by arm wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Yep, this. And I can't find it either. I did find this though: :nms: linked x-ray picture of a broken arm :nms:

According to the Wikipedia page, broken arms occour quite often because the arm bone is not designed to take stress in the direction required by arm wrestling.

It happened at the world's strongest man one year, when they still had arm wrestling in it. Steroids just can't give you adamantium bones.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Steroids just can't give you adamantium bones.
Not with that attitude!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I bet they're just eating pizza and Reed couldn't be bothered to stretch his arm an extra foot to answer the phone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I bet they're just eating pizza and Reed couldn't be bothered to stretch his arm an extra foot to answer the phone.

Howard the Duck backs it up!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is newspaper spider-man bitter about not being an avenger?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I tried one super team and gave up, the Peter Parker story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Apparently Peter forgot that people can't see you through the phone. It's OK, you can just say "Hi, this is Spider-Man".

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF726gXNNmE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Apparently Peter forgot that people can't see you through the phone. It's OK, you can just say "Hi, this is Spider-Man".

This is Reed Richards, Peter can't take for granted that Reed's phone doesn't automatically reassemble voice-prints into an image of the speaker.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his caution is warranted. whenever newspaper spiderman meets other superheroes, they punch him in the face. if he got the ff to come out and they knew spiderman was around, they would immediately all punch him in the face for no reason.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought newspaper FF already knew who he was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goatface posted:

you expect newspaper spiderman to remember that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goatface posted:

It really seems like they do, but he doesn't think they do and they're either just as dumb as he is or humouring him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

uPen posted:

He's bitter about everything.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

uPen posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

goatface posted:

Spidey is super paranoid about the NSA.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you expect newspaper spiderman to remember that?

Newspaper Spider-Man is pretty much if Spidey picked up from when Lee ended his original run + marriage and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It really seems like they do, but he doesn't think they do and they're either just as dumb as he is or humouring him.

Reed Richards is the smartest man in the Newspaper Universe. His IQ is 110.

• Locked thread