Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I love it when there are hidden/unmarked things in the paint template. gently caress you Mercedes roof antenna, I found you anyway :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

for the longest time I raced with my G27 bolted to the desk, pedals under the table and my rolling office chair. This setup was a recipe for disaster whenever I needed to press all three pedals (aka each downshift in a non-dogbox car) cause I'd roll back a little, no matter what kind of poo poo I put behind my chair wheels. Or, worse, the pedals could hop forward just a little. So I bought a Simetik K2 cockpit, and I will now shamelessly plug this 300$ piece of hardware wherever and whenever I can because it really is the best thing ever. Solid, small(ish), adjustable to the nth degree. I don't think there's anything better in this price range, it easily beats out the playseat and equivalents (there's a video of a guy standing on the wheel mount of his K2). Being able to brake with confidence is totally worth it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Old Binsby posted:

So I bought a Simetik K2 cockpit,

I read this as Simtek and briefly thought the mid-90s Formula 1 team had risen from the dead as a peripheral manufacturer :unsmith:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I read this as Simtek and briefly thought the mid-90s Formula 1 team had risen from the dead as a peripheral manufacturer :unsmith:

Well now that you mention that I do kind of wish K2 were purple and covered in MTV advertising.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm a big fan of my Playseat. Terrible desk chair, but great pretend cars chair.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Depending on your budget it's a good choice but I tried one and felt there was too much lateral motion in the steering bit for me. Saying the K2 is the best in the 300$ range isn't really a fair comparison since it doesn't include... a chair. But you can get that for semi cheap regardless and if you don't need triples (yay VR) you're all set. It also includes TWO stickers with your name/flag on them so you can pretend to be a race car driver even more.

Ok i'll shut up now but I still heartily recommend anyone who doesn't already use a fixed seat/pedal mount to consider it because I'm shaving off tenths left and right in practice sessions

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it good? I've been wanting one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seems decent. I'm going to DIY mine in the next few days with a $20 junkyard seat and some wood. Probably all in for under $50.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Is it good? I've been wanting one.

The K2? I promised to shut up but wth it's such a great piece of hardware. Very rigid, all inclinations (wheel, pedal, shifter) and depths adjustable by allen wrench. It's ostensibly a GT-car type chassis (based on an audi R8), you're not going to get an open wheel style seating position. However, the pedals can be raised a fair bit and the wheel can go quite low. The most usual adjustments (steering wheel height and depth/pedal inclination) are adjustable without tools. Fanatec, Logitech and Thrustmaster are all supported natively, screws for attaching hardware are provided, the keyboard holder is pretty good, there's holes drilled so you can fit just about any car seat on the chassis.
Most important to me is that there is no central support bar in the footwell, so left-foot braking isn't hindered at all, and there is no flex whatsoever in the steering wheel mount and shifter. Maybe those fancy direct drive servo wheels might be able to shake it a little, but a G27 on high FF can't. Should have gotten something like this earlier. I was considering a sim-lab chassis (80/20 aluminum) but that's nearly twice the price after all addons. Maybe r-seat is of comparable rigidity, but it's a couple hundred bucks more expensive as well. It's way stiffer than the one playseat I tried. I never considered obutto because I don't like the way they look and they're way more bulky so that's not a path I wanted to go down. Plus, if you're so inclined, Simetik indicated that they'll be releasing a hotas addon in the future (asked them over mail). They ship from Portugal, so to the US that's about 100$. In the EU the rate is around 40 euro.

If you wanted to know about the playseat, excuse my effortposting lol. Off to put in a couple laps at daytona in the ruf.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No I wanted to know about the simetik. Thanks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
OhsH and I beat two Finns in the last Kamel race!

... because one wrecked before the start and the other blew his engine shifting to 1st instead of 3rd...

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I let my 10-year-old nephew run practice in the Legends for a few minutes and people are legit threatening to report him for wrecking. In practice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hey, still responsible for your own actions, even if it's not you.

I let my wife drive at a plate track. Was added to a few enemies lists that day.

You just don't appreciate how difficult "foot flat on the floor, turn left when the track turns" can be until someone who has never done it, does it.

"Alright move a little to your right" :daleearnhardtsintothewall: "Alright that's one approach"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You still need to drive correctly in practice. if you don't want to get in trouble, join a testing session.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

You still need to drive correctly in practice. if you don't want to get in trouble, join a testing session.

This.

Also they should just open the loving test server thingy all the time.

Not being able to demo a car before you buy it is still some bullshit.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Yeah, it's my fault. I thought he would just be bad, but he was really bad.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
The only time I've reported someone in my four months of iracing was due to practice shenanigans. Legends practice at Concord, quite a few people in there. One guy takes me out blatantly just as I get up to speed, think nothing of it, people are idiots and he apologized. Up until race time, he proceeds to turn the session into his private demo derby, taking everyone he got close to out, giving the "oops, didn't see you" as he makes a hard right at someone. Looking at his profile, looks like he had been banned multiple times judging by the gaps in his racing, and near as I could tell had never finished a race. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Outlaw Mailman posted:

The only time I've reported someone in my four months of iracing was due to practice shenanigans. Legends practice at Concord, quite a few people in there. One guy takes me out blatantly just as I get up to speed, think nothing of it, people are idiots and he apologized. Up until race time, he proceeds to turn the session into his private demo derby, taking everyone he got close to out, giving the "oops, didn't see you" as he makes a hard right at someone. Looking at his profile, looks like he had been banned multiple times judging by the gaps in his racing, and near as I could tell had never finished a race. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

There was one guy that trolls people in games and posts the videos all over youtube. Iracing was one of those games, which is hosed up since it's a paid sub to even do that. That's really going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

iRacing does a really good job of announcing things; they certainly wouldn't just put event announcements in a little-used side forum. But just in case anyone missed their publicity offensive, two events are coming up. Roar Before the 24, 144 minute solo event at Daytona road, Mustang/Kia/MX-5, in 2 1/2 weeks, and 24 Hours of Daytona, C7/German GT3s, in 3 1/2 weeks.

Also why am I so garbage at Interlagos, what am I doing wrong I'm almost Spa bad there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Larrymer posted:

There was one guy that trolls people in games and posts the videos all over youtube. Iracing was one of those games, which is hosed up since it's a paid sub to even do that. That's really going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat.

That guy also made a video of him crying because he kept trying to buy iracing subs but would get banned instantly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That guy also made a video of him crying because he kept trying to buy iracing subs but would get banned instantly.

Which is the best video. "I'm banned. But watch this. I put in my credit card, they take my money and I'm still banned! I'm paying for a service I can't use!" Maybe you should have listened when they said they were banned.

Edit: I wish more games would ban assholes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, any CC company is probably going to side with him since it's not particularly legit to take money for services you won't provide, but yeah the guy's a loving idiot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He eventually got his money back. It was super obvious what he was doing and he deserves no sympathy for being an idiot.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, any CC company is probably going to side with him since it's not particularly legit to take money for services you won't provide, but yeah the guy's a loving idiot.

Since when are you a Dare account?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Lord Crapulus posted:

iRacing does a really good job of announcing things; they certainly wouldn't just put event announcements in a little-used side forum. But just in case anyone missed their publicity offensive, two events are coming up. Roar Before the 24, 144 minute solo event at Daytona road, Mustang/Kia/MX-5, in 2 1/2 weeks, and 24 Hours of Daytona, C7/German GT3s, in 3 1/2 weeks.

Also why am I so garbage at Interlagos, what am I doing wrong I'm almost Spa bad there

What goon teams are running for this?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Probably just one since it's a 24 hour race and that takes tons of people, I'd guess.

BSS @ Interlagos just proved that no, going four wide into T1 lap 1 doesn't go well. Huge crash took out basically the whole field from 6th on back. I was in 5th :smug:

e: IMSA and BSS are both at Daytona the week before the 24, so plenty of live practice assuming we're doing a GT3

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
congrats on your 5th place finish.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

finished 2nd bitch

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm down to do some Merc or DP for Daytona. I haven't made a BearPope livery for the Vette so I'm leaning Merc.

I can do some early morning closing stints, but I'd rather not start again. I have a clean starting record in Goondurance, but drat those first laps make me jittery.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I wouldn't mind starting since I'm getting so much practice surviving GT3, but that would probably screw us on split.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

PORSCHE PORSCHE PORSCHE GET HYPED

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I could take it or leave it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

PORSCHE PORSCHE PORSCHE GET HYPED

gently caress YES

Hope they put in at least one air-cooled murder machine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Meh, just another 911 gt3 car

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can't wait for the 919 in 2018.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GT specs make my head hurt.

Isn't the 911 GT3 RSR raced in the same classes as the Ferrari that's on the way? That will be something at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's 2 different 911 GT3s as I understand it, the 911 GT3 R which races in Blancpain and IMSA and Super GT and every other GT3 series. Then the 911 GT3 Cup which has slightly less power and runs in the hilarious single make gentlemen driver series' like the Porsche Supercup.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I bought a month, see you on the track nerds!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Actually I probably won't since I be too busy adjusting my suspension stiffness for optimal lap times or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The spergs on the iracing forums spouted off a bunch of numbers in the 900-999 range that means that the Ruf can't be rebadged as a 911 and used for GT3. That's dumb and I hope they just rebadge the Ruf.