Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Things the Jackson films hosed up badly:

1) Aragorn french kissing a horse

2) Half of Denethor's scenes

3) All of Faramir's, especially the entire ending sequence in the second film (if the nazgul see frodo has the ring the story is over, duh)

4) The Paths of the Dead looks like a video game sequence

5) So does a big chunk of the Mines of Moria

6) They kinda mangled Galadriel with too much CGI

7) Too many songs in the third movie

8) drawing a blank past that

9) I want to say "nobody tosses a dwarf" but, gently caress it, that was funny

Things they got right:

1) Like everything else plus Arwen is dramatically improved

They're flawed films but they're better than we had any right to expect from Hollywood.

All of it looked too much like a videogame. The first movie was best because it was relatively slow and meditative, like the original story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Video games are good, and even movies protected at high framerates don't look that much like them. I never understood that complaint.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bongo Bill posted:

Video games are good, and even movies protected at high framerates don't look that much like them. I never understood that complaint.

My complaint is specifically about the action sequences in the Mines of Moria where everything is collapsing and they're jumping from platform to platform, and the flood of skulls scenes in the Paths of the Dead. Both seemed really egregiously drawn from video games to the point where it broke my concentration on the film. With Moria you could almost see the scriptwriters going "ok, now time for a jumping puzzle."

It's not so much that it just looked like a video game as that it was Jumping Puzzles, The Movie, at least for those scenes. If I want jumping puzzles, I can go play Prince of Persia. I go to a movie for story and character.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 4, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My complaint is specifically about the action sequences in the Mines of Moria where everything is collapsing and they're jumping from platform to platform, and the flood of skulls scenes in the Paths of the Dead. Both seemed really egregiously drawn from video games to the point where it broke my concentration on the film. With Moria you could almost see the scriptwriters going "ok, now time for a jumping puzzle."

It's not so much that it just looked like a video game as that it was Jumping Puzzles, The Movie, at least for those scenes. If I want jumping puzzles, I can go play Prince of Persia. I go to a movie for story and character.

Also there's the problem that it distracts from the coolness of the climactic moment on the bridge, if they've already spent the past ten minutes jumping around on collapsing staircases over a pit of nothingness.

It would have been a lot more dramatic to see the bridge if it had been the first time they'd come to a yawning abyss, but sticking to the book would have meant a lot of claustrophobic running around in tunnels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's fair, but pedantry demands that I still don't think that "looking like" a video game is the problem.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
video games are inherently lowbrow entertainment emphasizing spectacle at the expense of all else and movies that cater to that are bad, hope that helps

Bongo Bill posted:

That's fair, but pedantry demands that I still don't think that "looking like" a video game is the problem.

it is the problem because the bridge of khazad-dum scene looks like Super Mario Moria and every action sequence looks like one or two heroes Spiderman 64-ing through a horde of completely non-threatening badguys

it is juvenile and it removes all subtlety from the films

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 5, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The framing and camera work are sometimes similar, but the aesthetic resemblance is usually pretty minimal otherwise.

Like even the drat Warcraft movie doesn't look much like the Warcraft games outside of things like prop design and color palette. Similar elements, but no one would mistake a shot from one for a shot from the other.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 5, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I think in one of the director commentaries, they said the original script said something like "The Fellowship run out of Balin's tomb and down some stairs". The entire sequence was conceived in post-production and the little bits of live-action were done as pick-ups. Doesn't excuse it, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

On that note, if anyone hasn't watched the trilogy with commentary from Jackson, Boyens and Walsh, I'd really recommend it. Pretty great insight into a lot of their thoughts and why they made the changes they did.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

chernobyl kinsman posted:

video games are inherently lowbrow entertainment emphasizing spectacle at the expense of all else and movies that cater to that are bad, hope that helps

it is the problem because the bridge of khazad-dum scene looks like Super Mario Moria and every action sequence looks like one or two heroes Spiderman 64-ing through a horde of completely non-threatening badguys

it is juvenile and it removes all subtlety from the films

Are you saying that video games can't be art, just like movies?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm not convinced that art can ever have a win condition, no

but say video games, like graffiti, can be art. this wouldn't change the fact that the vast majority of video games, like the vast majority of graffiti, are juvenile trash, which is more or less what i was saying in that post.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 5, 2017

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Shibawanko posted:

All of it looked too much like a videogame. The first movie was best because it was relatively slow and meditative, like the original story.

This is my thought as well. It addition the first movie most closely resembled the book minus the Bombadil chapters.

I still like to complain that the Battle of Helm's Deep was a single relatively short chapter in the books.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

i'm not convinced that art can ever have a win condition, no

but say video games, like graffiti, can be art. this wouldn't change the fact that the vast majority of video games, like the vast majority of graffiti, are juvenile trash, which is more or less what i was saying in that post.

You can say the same about movies, though. So I don't think the "it's like a video game" criticism has much merit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thunder Moose posted:

This is my thought as well. It addition the first movie most closely resembled the book minus the Bombadil chapters.

I still like to complain that the Battle of Helm's Deep was a single relatively short chapter in the books.

Brokeback Mountain was adapted from a 20-page story.

TTT as written didn't have a particularly pat narrative arc; it doesn't stand on its own as a self-contained story very well. If you're adapting it into a blockbuster (and especially if you've already committed to taking certain liberties), "giant showstopping battle" is going to go over a lot better than "two different plotlines back-to-back, ending respectively with a few victorious dudes getting a crystal ball thrown at them and two hobbits fighting a giant spider".

Just saying I agree FotR was probably the best of the movies, for story and atmosphere reasons, but TTT was probably the most successful adaptation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Glorfindal was one elf and this is the right place to have that argument.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

elise the great posted:

I agree though. Given that I would rather watch an actual Michael Bay movie than a PJ adaptation of the Sil, I'm kinda glad they skipped the opportunity to tie in the inevitably garbage "prequel" adaptation of the fall of Gondolin. Hey kids, remember that throwaway character who met Frodo at the ford? Crowd favorite! Here comes the next trilogy!

I honestly think the Sil would make an AMAZING big budget play/musical/stage show/???. Have an accompanying orchestra with it to provide the music live.

You can have the whole thing start with a black stage and gradually the Ainur get lit up as they start singing, and as each one does, a section of the orchestra sounds like it's warming up, and you can have the different sections of the orchestra play something different from the others, that only comes together when Iluvatar raises his voice above the others. Maybe have each Ainu have a verse about their own perfect world or something like that, and gradually Iluvatar incorporates all the verses into one song.

It'd be great and I really want this now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You dont do the whole silmarillion. You just do the good stories like Beren and Luthien, the Fall of Gondolin, Turin.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, Ainulindale and Valaquenta are my favorite parts of the book. :negative:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

elise the great posted:

"Hey dad, remember those guys who raised you, except later on you found out that they straight up drove your mother to her death in the ocean and murdered the rest of your family and they were actually your kidnappers instead of your adopted parents? I'm gonna lisp JUST LIKE THEM and also marry a baby human."

Like, no wonder Galadriel doesn't come around to visit.
This is a good post. There's a lot of soap opera drama throughout Tolkien's stories. While superficially a stuffy :catholic:, he was quite worldly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At least Aragorn was related to Arwen. If he had been a scruffy nobody human, Elrond would have killed him outright.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aragorn kissing a horse was great and anyone who disagrees can go eat out a tentacle vag.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can say the same about movies, though.

nah because film as a medium is far more artistically mature than video games. i'm not invoking sturgeon's law, i'm saying that video games are inherently juvenile and reliant upon base spectacle in a way that film is not (at least not inherently), owing in part to the fact that video games at their very best tend to only ape the conventions of film.

when film apes the conventions of video games - jumping puzzles and superhuman bullshit - the result is trash.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I honestly think the Sil would make an AMAZING big budget play/musical/stage show/???. Have an accompanying orchestra with it to provide the music live.

You can have the whole thing start with a black stage and gradually the Ainur get lit up as they start singing, and as each one does, a section of the orchestra sounds like it's warming up, and you can have the different sections of the orchestra play something different from the others, that only comes together when Iluvatar raises his voice above the others. Maybe have each Ainu have a verse about their own perfect world or something like that, and gradually Iluvatar incorporates all the verses into one song.

the word you're looking for is opera

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
how did this get her ei am not good with computers

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

the word you're looking for is opera

Well I mean the part I described would be operatic but I mean in my weird dream script it'd have all sorts of different genres.

Thankfully we already have the soundtrack for Fingolfin vs Morgoth.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They should just do the Genesis-like parts of the silmarillion in a different, abstract art style like the intro to the Watership Down cartoon and then do the actual stories.

When I said the movies look like videogames, I mostly meant just the way all of the buildings look like World of Warcraft and Warhammer and stuff. I wish they'd gone with something a bit more original or naturalistic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like this?

http://www.evanpalmercomics.com/ainulindale/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, Ainulindale and Valaquenta are my favorite parts of the book. :negative:

Agreed

This is still the best thing

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

This is wonderful thank you for linking this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And it was not void.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SirPhoebos posted:

Aragorn kissing a horse was great and anyone who disagrees can go eat out a tentacle vag.

At least your pic is appropriate.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how did this get her ei am not good with computers

very good at trolling though :golfclap:

you should compare notes with bravest of the lamps

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The LotR movies don't capture the sorrowful conservatism that drives the books, and add nothing to fill the resulting void. They're bad.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 6, 2017

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
when I first read LotR I was in fifth grade and I did not notice the romantic conservatism or whatever and the movies worked on the level at which I understood the books when I was in fifth grade and I think that's okay, because honestly not everything in the world really NEEDS to be for a literary high-brow audience and it's okay for folks to enjoy a bit of spectacle, which in no way prevents anyone from still experiencing the original literature

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i also think all popular entertainment should appeal to the lowest common denominator

InediblePenguin posted:

when I first read LotR I was in fifth grade and I did not notice the romantic conservatism or whatever and the movies worked on the level at which I understood the books when I was in fifth grade and I think that's okay, because honestly not everything in the world really NEEDS to be for a literary high-brow audience and it's okay for folks to enjoy a bit of spectacle, which in no way prevents anyone from still experiencing the original literature

like thats fine and all but i'm a grown-up evaluating them from a grown-up's perspective, and they are bad

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

i also think all popular entertainment should appeal to the lowest common denominator

like thats fine and all but i'm a grown-up evaluating them from a grown-up's perspective, and they are bad

Blame our capitalist system I guess? Like, the drive to make those movies in the first place, and commit $100's of millions to effects, was an attempt to seek profit.

If you want movies made that don't attempt to seek profit but rather seek maximum intellectual purity you really are talking about living in a different socio-political-economical environment or much smaller scale movies.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The LotR movies don't capture the sorrowful conservatism that drives the books, and add nothing to fill the resulting void. They're bad.

Yeah that's exactly how I felt. It wasn't melancholy enough.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

elise the great posted:

I remember a lot of my friends were hacked the gently caress off when Arwen initially spoke in the first movie. Apparently her consonants were too soft and sounded Feanorian (???) but I am not a linguist in any way and mostly just laughed at them for giving a poo poo what her 'th' phonemes sounded like when IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GLORFINDEL UGH
Is this the Tolkien nerd equivalent of whining on about vocal fry?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

Blame our capitalist system I guess? Like, the drive to make those movies in the first place, and commit $100's of millions to effects, was an attempt to seek profit.

yes friend thank you for pointing out the basic economic motivations for making bad films, like the lord of the rings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like are you saying they are bad because they dont match your head canon or that they are bad because they fail at major aspects of film making, like photography, acting, sound, music, story, special effects etc.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Trapped in the system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Like are you saying they are bad because they dont match your head canon or that they are bad because they fail at major aspects of film making, like photography, acting, sound, music, story, special effects etc.

i could not possibly give less of a drat about loyalty to the books or whatever head canon is. they are bad movies because, as i have repeatedly posted, they lack any kind of subtlety at all. the score is very good and so are some of the actors. the writing, however, is very very bad, the special effects (stair sequence) are gratuitous and have not aged well, many of the locations are at best uninteresting, and the action sequences are below what i would expect from a marvel movie.

but that's what happens when you put the guy who did braindead at the helm of your film