Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snagged myself some Sunn O))) tickets too and I'm curious about the volume. Just how loud is it? I'm definitely a fan of extreme voluming but I also enjoy being able to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Snagged myself some Sunn O))) tickets too and I'm curious about the volume. Just how loud is it? I'm definitely a fan of extreme voluming but I also enjoy being able to hear.

Bring plugs. Two ear, one butt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone else at High on Fire at the Empty Bottle?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If anyone in here'd be interested in writing stoner/doom/sludge/heavy psych/etc. album reviews on a weekly basis, shoot me a PM.

And holy poo poo, the new Frozen Planet...1969 album is blowing me away on first listen.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks thread, just realized that Sunn is kicking off the tour in DC. Been on my concert list for years now. My offer to pregame with DC Doom Goons still stands.

Happy 2017 Doom Thread. Here's to the hope the world can keep the doom mostly relegated to vinyl.

Funeralopolis posted:

I don't care, this world means nothing
Life has no meaning, my feelings are numb
Faceless masses filed like gravestones
Sacrificed for the glory of one
Funerary cities, flesh press factories
Corporate maggots feed on the carrion
Funeralopolis, grey morgue apocalypse
Black clouds form to block out the sun

Funeralopolis

Nuclear warheads ready to strike
This world is so hosed, let's end it tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-x6qqNy0mo

quote:

gently caress

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I've posted a couple Vultures of Cult things here in the past. They played their last show on the 30th, which I unfortunately wasn't able to make, but they posted this track today and it's pretty good.

https://vulturesofcult.bandcamp.com/track/in-atlas-gait

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anyone else at High on Fire at the Empty Bottle?

Really wanted to go because Oozing Wound and High on Fire own :smith:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

I've posted a couple Vultures of Cult things here in the past. They played their last show on the 30th, which I unfortunately wasn't able to make, but they posted this track today and it's pretty good.

"Last show" as in, "we're breaking up and this is the last time we play together?"

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

hatelull posted:

"Last show" as in, "we're breaking up and this is the last time we play together?"

Yeah, they done.
RIP them and thanks to this thread and probably Detective Thompson for turning me on to them.
"Pastoral" is one of my favorite songs ever.
https://vulturesofcult.bandcamp.com/album/pastoral

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

If I remember right, the drummer is moving away and they didn't want to continue the band without him, which I can respect.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
From Pallbearer

quote:

We teased some information on our 3rd LP, 'Heartless', in December and can now share that it will be released on March 24th via Profound Lore Records in North America and, we’re honored to say, Nuclear Blast in the UK, EU, Australia and NZ. We self produced ‘Heartless’ in Little Rock last summer and it was mixed by the inimitable Joe Barresi (Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, (the) Melvins). The album artwork includes a beautifully emotive oil painting by Michael Lierly, emanating the very core of this record.

'Heartless' tracklisting:
1. I Saw the End
2. Thorns
3. Lie of Survival
4. Dancing in Madness
5. Cruel Road
6. Heartless
7. A Plea for Understanding

Music, pre-order details and more tour dates will follow in due course. In the meantime, here's a reminder of the dates confirmed so far:

2.24 - Austin, TX - Barracuda Austin (21+)
3.22 - Little Rock, AR - Revolution Music Room (The Rev Room) (18+)
3.23 - Nashville, TN - The End (18+)
3.25 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg (18+)
3.28 - Cleveland, OH - Grog Shop (All Ages)
3.29 - Grand Rapids, MI - The Pyramid Scheme (All Ages)
3.30 - Indianpolis, IN - 5th Quarter Lounge
3.31 - Chicago, IL - Thalia Hall (17+)

Tickets and more information available at: https://www.pallbearerdoom.com/tour

We can’t wait for you to experience this record. See you all very soon!

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Been creepin' for awhile, so if I missed this band, A Storm of Light, sorry. Has an Alice in Chains feel with heavier riffs. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEy7-niUSY

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hey so Windhand and Cough are coming to Australia soon and I don't really know much about cough. Where's a good place to start?

I actually like Windhand so they are the draw for me at this stage.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nawledgelambo posted:

Been creepin' for awhile, so if I missed this band, A Storm of Light, sorry. Has an Alice in Chains feel with heavier riffs. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEy7-niUSY

On that note, they've had Kim Thayil guest on their records.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Laserface posted:

Hey so Windhand and Cough are coming to Australia soon and I don't really know much about cough. Where's a good place to start?

I actually like Windhand so they are the draw for me at this stage.

Ritual Abuse is really good. I love Athame which is their half of a split with Windhand.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, I'd point to Ritual Abuse as their best album by a wide mark. Sigillum Luciferi's kind of uninspired (relatively speaking), but I like it a lot more than the pretty thorough turn into modern Electric Wizard territory that their most recent album was.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cough were born in Electric Wizard territory though

Ritual Abuse is good, the Kingdom EP is good, their splits with Windhand and the Wounded Kings are both good. The instrumental track on the new album is pretty decent also

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
new cavity, a 4 song 12'' ep coming. can't loving wait!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

new cavity, a 4 song 12'' ep coming. can't loving wait!

Ohhhh poo poo this news fuckin' rules.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.secretserpents.com/collections/cavity/products/cavity-after-death

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

skasion posted:

Cough were born in Electric Wizard territory though
Sigillum Luciferi is more along the lines of older Electric Wizard, though. Not so much with the last album.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
If they're following EW's footsteps, making a boring as poo poo album with recycled riffs is the next logical step for them

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thanks man, ordered this and am now super stoked.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That's a fuckin expensive 4 song 12" but I might break down and get the green one.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Snowy posted:

That's a fuckin expensive 4 song 12" but I might break down and get the green one.

Uh, get the black one? Its not even that expensive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

Uh, get the black one? Its not even that expensive.

They're both pretty pricy but I'm an old cheapskate curmudgeon.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Elder just announced they finished recording their next album and it's off to be mastered. There will be US and Euro tours after it comes out later this year. They've added a fourth member for the tours, not sure if he also played on the album, but I don't think so.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I swear they were going into the studio like a month ago or something. They work fast. Also, I agree, I doubt the new guy played on the album. I think he's just coming out for touring. I think Nick could record an entire Elder album himself if he felt so inclined, not to discount the other guys (He's just that talented) they are remarkable musicians and I can't wait to see them again.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I swear they were going into the studio like a month ago or something. They work fast. Also, I agree, I doubt the new guy played on the album. I think he's just coming out for touring. I think Nick could record an entire Elder album himself if he felt so inclined, not to discount the other guys (He's just that talented) they are remarkable musicians and I can't wait to see them again.

Yeah, that rhythm section is outstanding. I know the temptation live is just to watch Nick the whole time, but taking time to watch Matt and Jack is worth it, because they're great.

TRVE Brewing made a beer for Forn and it's coming to Massachusetts which means I can get some (unless it gets bought up before I can) and I'm a happy dude.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can't loving wait for more Elder.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Yeah, that rhythm section is outstanding. I know the temptation live is just to watch Nick the whole time, but taking time to watch Matt and Jack is worth it, because they're great.

TRVE Brewing made a beer for Forn and it's coming to Massachusetts which means I can get some (unless it gets bought up before I can) and I'm a happy dude.

I've mentioned this before but when I got to see Elder live it all kind of clicked for me, as in there was always this mystery to me about their sound that I couldn't put my finger on, They have a real loose vibe but when I saw them do it live I got to notice how focused and on point the drummer and bass player are. They are tight as gently caress, right in there, holding it down severely.

I sure hope they come through again soon.

I'd like some Forn beer.
They are working on a new album too I think. They get me excited, I dig their approach.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I really love Dead Roots Stirring (to the point that its my favorite album ever) but nothing else besides Spires Burn (the song not the EP) has done anything for me. Hoping that the new album is maybe a bit on the heavy/psych side of things but they seem to change so much each release that Im not holding my breath.

Nicks other band is Gold And Silver, which is where the new guy is from. They have a few songs on Bandcamp and its sort of like Lore but not too much.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'd like some Forn beer.
They are working on a new album too I think. They get me excited, I dig their approach.

Yeah, they are recording now, I think, or else very soon. I talked to Chris, the vocalist, back in August for a bit after a show and he said it's going to be an expansion of their sound, so I'm really looking forward to it. They have become one of my favorites over the past year or two. And for you goons over the sea, they are playing Roadburn on April 20th.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh boy, a new Haggatha album! I had no idea this was even on the horizon, since those dudes don't really do the social media thing.

http://www.cvltnation.com/premiere-streaming-haggatha-v/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That sucks because reading this post is the first I've heard of them and they are, er were, heavy as stink. Sad!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The new Cavity just showed up at my door. In the middle of my first listen right now but I'm digging it. I have a fair bit of nostalgia for Cavity though so I am not going to pretend to have a real opinion until at least the third trip through.

Oh, and for whoever earlier was talking about spending a lot for four tracks, it turns out the thing is over 40 minutes long.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

The new Cavity just showed up at my door. In the middle of my first listen right now but I'm digging it. I have a fair bit of nostalgia for Cavity though so I am not going to pretend to have a real opinion until at least the third trip through.

Oh, and for whoever earlier was talking about spending a lot for four tracks, it turns out the thing is over 40 minutes long.

Even if it was 20 minutes, 25 bucks for a 12'' including postage isn't that expensive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Demonic Death Judge is awesome so far, as expected.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Saw Khemmis and Crypt Sermon at St. Vitus last night. Khemmis was really good, but Crypt Sermon stole the show. If you haven't heard them and like the old school doom with the soaring vocals, check 'em out because they kinda rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I missed Khemmis last weekend but they're coming through again with Oathbreaker :getin: