Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd rather have those enemies go for the people that take 1 damage. If they just ignore the defensive guys, that means they'll wreck my other units who aren't as good at taking the hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

put the guy in a chokepoint and they're just sitting there flapping in the wind as easy kills

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I finally finished Conquest.

After all of the gimmick maps the endgame is almost disappointingly fast and simple, but that's probably because I was just playing on Hard, I've heard it's a nightmare on Lunatic. Also regarding the pre-endgame cutscene, I'm all for Persona-style montage of your allies bringing you back from the dead but "oops I didn't expect the giant shadowy arrow to kill me" is a very... piss-poor way of leading it in. I also think the story is a waste of potential in general but I'm sure it's been said a lot already.

Kinda considering playing Lunatic (since I've never played Lunatic in any FE game before) but I've heard it's tedious and frustrating.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There are some parts in Hard that were already so painful that Lunatic would be soul crushing, but from getting to the infamous defense chapter, so far the main difference is just that it's harder in that enemies have better skill/equips setups and there are more of them. I don't even thing they get significantly stronger, if at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

There are some parts in Hard that were already so painful that Lunatic would be soul crushing, but from getting to the infamous defense chapter, so far the main difference is just that it's harder in that enemies have better skill/equips setups and there are more of them. I don't even thing they get significantly stronger, if at all.

They don't. Iago's stats are exactly the same on lunatic and hard, for example.

Each of the three campaigns has a different approach to added difficulty. Conquest focuses on adding new skills and equipment to force you to rethink your approach. Birthright adds more enemies. And Revelation increases enemy stats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lunatic in fates is fine in conquest and birthright. lunatic revelations is a little hosed since its difficulty is just tossing in random promoted units way before you're able to handle them, but it's still fine.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 3, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Kinda considering playing Lunatic (since I've never played Lunatic in any FE game before) but I've heard it's tedious and frustrating.

that's awakening, lunatic in fates is good

it's pretty rough to start with in conquest tho. that first map was the hardest in the game for me at least

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The first Conquest chapter with the monster enemies in the swamp is a royal pain in the rear end on Lunatic, though exploiting the pre-choice chapters as hard as you can for a ripped Corrin and Felicia/Jakob can take the load off of it immensely if you don't mind leaving Effie and Silas behind a bit in exp for that chapter.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

lunatic in fates is fine in conquest and birthright. lunatic revelations is a little hosed since its difficulty is just tossing in random promoted units way before you're able to handle them, but it's still fine.

Also that really only makes it hard for the first few maps, since fighting all those promoted units will make the core of your army overlevelled pretty fast. Good luck getting any midgame recruits up to speed, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Revelation is so hosed that no difficulty setting would save it

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I briefly considered getting Revelation to get that FE fix but it seems kinda unanimous that it's Not Good. I think I'll check Conquest Lunatic out, thanks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The only reason to do Revelations is if you really really want to get your eugenics program to go international.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pureauthor posted:

The only reason to do Revelations is if you really really want to get your eugenics program to go international.

Eh, if you're looking for gimmick maps it can be fun. It's not great by any stretch of imagination, but I enjoyed it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The gimmicks are bad in a force party members way

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

I finally finished Conquest.

After all of the gimmick maps the endgame is almost disappointingly fast and simple, but that's probably because I was just playing on Hard, I've heard it's a nightmare on Lunatic. Also regarding the pre-endgame cutscene, I'm all for Persona-style montage of your allies bringing you back from the dead but "oops I didn't expect the giant shadowy arrow to kill me" is a very... piss-poor way of leading it in. I also think the story is a waste of potential in general but I'm sure it's been said a lot already.

Do not under any circumstances play Conquest on Lunatic.

gently caress that game. I loved Awakening an unreasonable amount, played through the game three or four times with lots of different handicaps in addition to the difficulties. Conquest on Lunatic is just pain. I started to realise I wasn't having fun with it when I stopped playing it on my Tube into work and then when I stopped playing on weekdays, reserving full days on Saturday to deal with chapters.

It's when I hit the final chapter and realised I was charting out a spreadsheet to track every character movement I needed to make from turn to turn to be able to beat it that I realised I wasn't even playing a strategy game any more. There was no strategy, I was just memorising the moves needed to beat the scenario.

You can't even take a break and play DLC chapters because they scale and are all ball cripplingly hard as a result. You can't level up underlevelled units because the EXP grinding DLC has enemies that just try to kill them.

I know I'll get someone laughing about how lunatic is meant to be a mode for crazy people and I should have expected what was coming, but I feel like a concession that Conquest lunatic doesn't make at all is that you need at least some downtime somewhere in a game. I was begging for a single map where my units felt powerful in any meaningful way but it just never came. At that point the game just feels oppressive more than anything else.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Twice now I've had to reset on a map that I've practically won, where only the boss was left, because I sent in some weaker unit to mooch a couple EXP from hitting the boss and was literally too stupid to check if the boss would actually kill them on the retaliating hit. They sure did.

This is how you know if you're too impatient to play FE, kids. Other ways of knowing this include sending a tanky unit out to the middle of an enemy swarm without checking any numbers because surely, they can take the hits, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Do not under any circumstances play Conquest on Lunatic.

gently caress that game. I loved Awakening an unreasonable amount, played through the game three or four times with lots of different handicaps in addition to the difficulties. Conquest on Lunatic is just pain. I started to realise I wasn't having fun with it when I stopped playing it on my Tube into work and then when I stopped playing on weekdays, reserving full days on Saturday to deal with chapters.

It's when I hit the final chapter and realised I was charting out a spreadsheet to track every character movement I needed to make from turn to turn to be able to beat it that I realised I wasn't even playing a strategy game any more. There was no strategy, I was just memorising the moves needed to beat the scenario.

You can't even take a break and play DLC chapters because they scale and are all ball cripplingly hard as a result. You can't level up underlevelled units because the EXP grinding DLC has enemies that just try to kill them.

I know I'll get someone laughing about how lunatic is meant to be a mode for crazy people and I should have expected what was coming, but I feel like a concession that Conquest lunatic doesn't make at all is that you need at least some downtime somewhere in a game. I was begging for a single map where my units felt powerful in any meaningful way but it just never came. At that point the game just feels oppressive more than anything else.
so wait, you beat awakening on lunatic+ and think conquest lunatic is a poorly made difficulty?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Endorph posted:

Lunatic Revelation is even worse than Conquest. It's the same amount of enemies but with greatly jacked up offensive and defensive stats. The first map where you get Hana and Rinkah back they cannot damage a single enemy outside of a ninja and even then the ninja will do more damage. Not even Conquest has 24 strength berserkers at chapter 12.

I think Birthright has the best lunatic difficulty. Maybe? It's not that much different from hard outside of insane reinforcements for 10+ turns late in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Birthright also has the benefit of Ryoma, one of the best prepromotes ever. He's just less good in Rev because he needs a ferry.

I wish you didn't have to wait so long to get his son though. Shiro is A+ best kid and is in a class the game could really use more of. For the same reason I'm sad no other kids start in Oni Savage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

so wait, you beat awakening on lunatic+ and think conquest lunatic is a poorly made difficulty?

No, nobody beat awakening lunatic+. I never even attempted it because resetting until you get good RNG is stupid.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

No, nobody beat awakening lunatic+. I never even attempted it because resetting until you get good RNG is stupid.

I've beaten Awakening Lunatic+ and that is how I did it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Theta Zero posted:

I've beaten Awakening Lunatic+ and that is how I did it.

I'm sorry friend, you obviously don't exist.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

"Yorkshire Tea" posted:

It's almost like you were developing some sort of precise strategy in order to win.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I bet you like transport puzzles.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Awakening Lunatic+ has been broken down and people can now consistently beat it without deaths and without resetting

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

This, however, sadly does not make it FUN.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fun is subjective v:v:v

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Awakening Lunatic+ has been broken down and people can now consistently beat it without deaths and without resetting
Even if Hammerguy gets Hawkeye?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

Even if Hammerguy gets Hawkeye?

You use the Robin you pumped 6 levels into in the first chapter to beat him down, so yeah. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

The gimmicks are bad in a force party members way

revelation had some good maps in it and idk what you mean by the force party member thing

it's just that it had less good maps than the other campaigns, many of the rest were pretty annoying, some were exactly the same map as the other campaigns (I didn't need to play the wind tunnel map again, fates), and the only character they bothered to balance for the new recruitment time is silas. it was like a first draft of a campaign

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Royal Blood squares. Either you bring enough to lessen the super tedium of the back-and-forth moving platforms, or you don't have and have to move 4-5 people across a sky ledge. Or bring in fliers which also forces your party make-up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tae posted:

Royal Blood squares. Either you bring enough to lessen the super tedium of the back-and-forth moving platforms, or you don't have and have to move 4-5 people across a sky ledge. Or bring in fliers which also forces your party make-up.

So it has a problem with multiple solutions that can all function just fine? Even if a few are tedious and sub optimal?
Then again, I seem to be the only person that map and how fun it was to execute a sick ambush by having the wind drop your army on the other dudes.

It didn't need to show up again basically exactly the same in revelations though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

So it has a problem with multiple solutions that can all function just fine? Even if a few are tedious and sub optimal?
Then again, I seem to be the only person that map and how fun it was to execute a sick ambush by having the wind drop your army on the other dudes.

It didn't need to show up again basically exactly the same in revelations though.

What? I wasn't talking about the wind mission. I never had any trouble with any version of them.

I'm talking about those revelation maps that require hitting a switch via royal blood to move a platform as you ferry units around. Like basically the middle-to-late of Revelation where you only have 12 deployment slots on average.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, Sophie has by far the worst case of "where are your pants" I've seen in Fates. I thought she was just wearing her father's outfit, and she kind of is, but then one battle ended with the camera in the wrong/right position. Doubly bad because of the female cavalier victory pose! I think she looks the worst (as opposed to people like Charlotte who are at least consistent) because it literally looks like she put on Silas' armour but forgot the bottom half. Which wouldn't be entirely out of character, I suppose.

Speaking of models, this just popped into my head. Does Fates have any unique models for promoted classes? I don't think Awakening did, and it always felt to me like they wasted their nice character designs by putting them onto models that you'll get rid of well before halfway through your playtime.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of models, this just popped into my head. Does Fates have any unique models for promoted classes? I don't think Awakening did, and it always felt to me like they wasted their nice character designs by putting them onto models that you'll get rid of well before halfway through your playtime.

Do the royal prepromotes count? :v: Takumi also has a unique Swordmaster getup iirc, and I want to say Priestess Sakura resembles Mikoto? (Similarly, by the way, Sage Lissa resembled Emmeryn, if we're counting this sort of thing as unique.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's a shame. I thought of it because I realized Peri's and Sophie's cavalier outfits are almost completely different (Peri even has pants!) and I bet they'll look exactly the same as Paladins. I guess you have to stop somewhere unless you want to make unique models for ever character/class combination, but it bums me out probably more than the average person because I really care about character customization in any game and it'd be cool if people didn't lose their unique flair when class changing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think some of them still keep their unique colour scheme. For instance, Benny as a General still had black armour.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Peri keeps her color scheme on promotion but loses her pants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The characters keep their color schemes for their default promotion options, and several have unique outfits.

There's a few other unique models, like Forrest having some female outfits instead of male ones (Swordmaster, for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only thing that remains of the concept that Nohr was an impoverished nation with few natural resources is the chronic pants shortage in their army.