Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

I really don't understand what happened with that one

:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently BLK owes Adelaide $841k, th most of any of the sporting clubs, which is money we're never going to see, as anything the administrators get is probably going to be sucked up into the $14mill BLK owes to Westpac

that's it? it seems like some American colleges have bigger clothing deals.

and hopefully because the deal just started it means St. Kilda doesn't have a stack of unpaid bills, just a future of them that never happened. Fingers crossed Saints figure something out soon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just want the Suns to get a jumper that doesn't suck out of the deal.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Oh hey, footy is back in only 30 days! Women's comp is kicking off soon.

That reminds me that I have to work out a team I want to win (until the Saints get one). I am tentatively thinking Melbourne (because gently caress Collingwood and Carlton and dont care about the WB much honesly) but then the Lions are the last vestige of Fitzroy who my family were rabid supporters of. Also because I could easily jump ship when the Saints come in.

Volkerball posted:

I just want the Suns to get a jumper that doesn't suck out of the deal.

And I want the Saints to win the premiership but impossible things just dont happen alright?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

And I want the Saints to win the premiership but impossible things just dont happen alright?

Well the Suns haven't quite worn the poo poo guernsey for 80+ years, so I don't think it's that dire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

harperdc posted:

that's it? it seems like some American colleges have bigger clothing deals.

Bigger country, bigger money. Plus, everyone makes obscene money out of it except the athletes, who get nothing, it's basically the ideal American sport.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Well the Suns haven't quite worn the poo poo guernsey for 80+ years, so I don't think it's that dire.

So you think we have a chance??

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

So you think we have a chance??

The Saints?! Oh no, they're doomed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The Saints?! Oh no, they're doomed.

Talking about doooooooom, has anyone volunteered to author the 2017 thread?

Also I sat on my headphones and the epoxy holding them together is either sending me high or giving me a headache. Possibly both weeeeee

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are AFLW matches going up online as well as on FTA?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Are AFLW matches going up online as well as on FTA?

The fixture only says 7 and Foxtel but im not sure. Really if they are going to promote it properly they should have all games streamed but who knows with the AFL.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah usually FTA would be great for me but I won't be in Australia for the whole season so, not so much.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
How many matches a round for the women's league is being broadcast on FTA?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

How many matches a round for the women's league is being broadcast on FTA?

Heres the fixture. http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches

So basically 2 for the first week then one every week after.

Maybe they couldn't convince channel 7 to do more then one but it seems a pretty big oversight to me. How the gently caress are people supposed to get interested if they cant watch the loving thing?

At LEAST they are all saturday night FTA even though 2 of them are at the weird times of 5:40 and 6:40pm.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Talking about doooooooom, has anyone volunteered to author the 2017 thread?

I don't start at work til the 24th so I could knock something up if the usual suspects don't.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't start at work til the 24th so I could knock something up if the usual suspects don't.
You did the drunken summaries a bit earlier right? Yeah, you should do it. Just hit the piss and let the stream of consciousness flow.

I'll update the club banners from last year (I think Norf have changed their logo AGAIN or something) and might help out with a header given a concept but I'm very happy for someone else to do all the writing now I'm tied up with work.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

You did the drunken summaries a bit earlier right? Yeah, you should do it. Just hit the piss and let the stream of consciousness flow.

I'll update the club banners from last year (I think Norf have changed their logo AGAIN or something) and might help out with a header given a concept but I'm very happy for someone else to do all the writing now I'm tied up with work.

Nah that wasn't me, but based on posting history I'm sure I can knock up something similarly incoherent.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

:laffo:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
FORMER Sydney Swan Xavier Richards will play for Sydney University in the NEAFL this season. 

In an apparent backflip from his unsuccessful request to be traded to a Melbourne club in October, Richards has opted to stay in the Harbour City to play at the lower level.

lol

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
media is reporting that the cause of hird's hospitalisation was an intentional posioning overdose

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I read that, and loving heartbreaking if true...but still take that with a grain of salt. Hasn't he been released already? A lot of times if someone goes in after attempting suicide they're kept a bit longer to continue to assess their mental health before being released.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It just wouldn't be the AFL without a James Hird drug story

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

I read that, and loving heartbreaking if true...but still take that with a grain of salt. Hasn't he been released already? A lot of times if someone goes in after attempting suicide they're kept a bit longer to continue to assess their mental health before being released.

Transferred to another hospital rather than released, Cabrini isn't much of a serious care facility tbh, you go there to have a nice room with your low risk procedure

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thepokey posted:

Hird was reportedly taken to Cabrini Hospital in Malvern, in Melbourne's south, but left the hospital on Thursday and continued to receive care elsewhere.

Elsewhere would be a private facility, where they're less talkative than a public hospital, and have a dedicated psychiatric ward

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 5, 2017

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
My first thought when I heard about this was to wonder if it was Gil breaking into Hird's house and injecting him with something to ensure that the AFL remains on the front page with the tennis about to start.

But in all seriousness, it's hosed if things in his life have gotten so bad that he tried to top himself. He did a poo poo job at Essendon and was prepared to look at the other way when it came to his players lives and safety, but that doesn't mean he deserves that ending.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Not surprised, the dude was broken by the time he stood down as coach and it was a matter of time before something like this happened

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Could have been worse, could have swum across the Yarra, Cousins style, and then he'd be really hosed

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

of course big footy and facebook are treating this with all the class and sensitivity you would expect from an attempted suicide story

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ah right didn't catch the "moved elsewhere" part. hosed if true

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

of course big footy and facebook are treating this with all the class and sensitivity you would expect from an attempted suicide story

Yeah saw a lot of that. Just like when Buddy had his issues and people thought that was hilarious. And they think Ben Cousins is hilarious. People are loving horrible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

"Harden up princess" "good riddance" "if I had that much money there's no way I'd be some fuckin head case sad do"?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Could have been worse, could have swum across the Yarra, Cousins style, and then he'd be really hosed

Or swum at any Port Phillip Bay beach during the past week

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I went to Safety Beach yesterday and I am fine.
Look, I even took a pic while I was there.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

"Harden up princess" "good riddance" "if I had that much money there's no way I'd be some fuckin head case sad do"?

"lololol this story keeps on giving" was good too
might've even been a big footy mod that posted that

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Post your best gifs/pics/quotes for inclusion in the new op, tyvm

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Post your best gifs/pics/quotes for inclusion in the new op, tyvm