Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'd wait to see for similar benchmarks before classifying that as not an anomaly, but this sort of backslide is nothing new (take Haswell-E vs Broadwell-E for instance, and that has the excuse of being a new process) and if I had to take a stab at the reason it'd be Kaby Lake's more aggressive throttling than Skylake acting up when it's not supposed to at all, ie desktop chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The best way to look at Kaby Lake is thinking of it as Intel handing AMD a big, and sorely needed, opportunity.

AMD is well known to make good use of those historically, of course

;)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...the gently caress?

Either Intel is having some SERIOUS foundry problems with 10nm, or they're just throwing this generation so they can have competition and dodge any SEC investigations. How do you actually screw that up?

I'd agree with Anime Schoolgirl's assessment that Kaby Lake (and any future architectures, most likely) aren't really intended for desktops.

Just like with Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake, mediocre desktop gains are what enthusiasts notice and complain about while the 4.5W and 15W chips make pretty big strides forward. The clock speed increases are small on desktop chips and pretty drat big on the ultra low TDP parts!

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Kaby Lake seems to be a minor respin of Skylake, and would've warranted maybe a new stepping back in the '90s. Now, they're trying to claim it's a whole new SKU because the designs got so huge that even bugfixing them takes a couple thousand engineers like a year.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

penus penus penus posted:

The best way to look at Kaby Lake is thinking of it as Intel handing AMD a big, and sorely needed, opportunity.

AMD is well known to make good use of those historically, of course

;)
If I were Intel, I'd be far more worried about how Zen Opterons are looking to take a giant steaming piss on Broadwell-EP efficiency. Intel has the market cornered on laptops that don't do any work lasting for ages and barring some serious miracles I don't think Raven Ridge is looking to budge that throne, especially if it will only scale down to a 4 core SKU. Unless they can somehow fit that and graphics in 25-35w, then, well...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

lDDQD posted:

Kaby Lake seems to be a minor respin of Skylake, and would've warranted maybe a new stepping back in the '90s. Now, they're trying to claim it's a whole new SKU because the designs got so huge that even bugfixing them takes a couple thousand engineers like a year.

Well, you are right - Kaby Lake is the first physical manifestation of Intel's formal acknowledgment that development cycles and product cycles are diverging because large improvements (relative to historical ones) on a yearly scale are not feasible. They already kind of did it once since desktops got Devil's Canyon and not much of Broadwell, but this time they're getting rid of tick-tock entirely instead of just adjusting it.

The question for me is why so many people seem to think a ~5% improvement over last year is news or a surprise instead of status quo for desktops for ~5 years now. A lot of comments I've seen are on the lack of IPC increase in particular, but given that their strategy this time was to focus on power dissipation improvements to enable higher clock speeds that also shouldn't be a surprise.

e: Really, think about Northwood->Prescott. If I recall correctly that revision increased power consumption and at least in some workloads decreased IPC all in the name of higher clocks. At least this time they can get them with a process refinement instead of adding lots of stages to the pipeline.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 4, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Eletriarnation posted:

e: Really, think about Northwood->Prescott.

No. You can't make me.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also while Prescott was a hot mess, wasn't it also the move to x64 for the P4?

So you got a hotter potentially slower chip, but now you could go above 3G of ram. :woop: Which was huge when Vista dropped and it loved Ram. Ran ok on 1.5G+ for the most part (Threw it on a 1st Gen Netbook with that and it ran "fine" for what an Atom could provide), but run it on 1G and it was just passable. Try and run it on 512 and it was futile as it never stopped thrashing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eletriarnation posted:

Well, you are right - Kaby Lake is the first physical manifestation of Intel's formal acknowledgment that development cycles and product cycles are diverging because large improvements (relative to historical ones) on a yearly scale are not feasible. They already kind of did it once since desktops got Devil's Canyon and not much of Broadwell, but this time they're getting rid of tick-tock entirely instead of just adjusting it.

The question for me is why so many people seem to think a ~5% improvement over last year is news or a surprise instead of status quo for desktops for ~5 years now. A lot of comments I've seen are on the lack of IPC increase in particular, but given that their strategy this time was to focus on power dissipation improvements to enable higher clock speeds that also shouldn't be a surprise.

e: Really, think about Northwood->Prescott. If I recall correctly that revision increased power consumption and at least in some workloads decreased IPC all in the name of higher clocks. At least this time they can get them with a process refinement instead of adding lots of stages to the pipeline.

Actually if we exclude the P4, the overall IPC gains from 1995-2006 pre Conroe (that's including a massive 90% gain from P5 to P6) vs 2006-current is roughly the same. The good old days was mainly due to brute forcing clocks and TDP upwards.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also while Prescott was a hot mess, wasn't it also the move to x64 for the P4?

Yes, the 600-series Socket 775 Prescott chips supported it and the 500s as well as all of the Socket 478 models didn't. It didn't mean much yet, though. 4+GB of RAM was still a ton at that point, I built a Nehalem system at the end of 2008 with Vista and still only put 3x1GB in it to start.

Palladium posted:

Actually if we exclude the P4, the overall IPC gains from 1995-2006 pre Conroe (that's including a massive 90% gain from P5 to P6) vs 2006-current is roughly the same. The good old days was mainly due to brute forcing clocks and TDP upwards.

Yeah, a lot of the vaunted improvement of those years was made by mostly ignoring performance-per-watt since we went from Pentiums that barely needed active cooling to ~100W with Prescott. Still, it was a huge improvement even considering IPW to increase clock speeds from 66MHz with the P5 (that is, original Pentiums) to 2GHz+ with Pentium M and it's just not possible to do that again within any power budget which is a lot of what people are griping about.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 5, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
edit: whoops nvm

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Apparently the MSI x370 mobos are going to be released at the end of February.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So much wasted space around that socket, man.

If you look closely at the surface of the board it's ALL circuit traces in the open space. Traces to the RAM and traces to the PCIe slots.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Arzachel posted:

Apparently the MSI x370 mobos are going to be released at the end of February.

So we should be expecting some kind of event in mid February? What's the usual order of board releases, low to high or high to low?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

uh motherboards with no cpu? Are they going to hard confirm launch dates today?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bristol Ridge exists

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

So we should be expecting some kind of event in mid February? What's the usual order of board releases, low to high or high to low?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Bristol Ridge exists

A300/A320/B300/B350 Are the low to mid range chipsets and were shown off back in October, X300/X370 are the high end and the guess is that they likely will be released alongside Zen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Prescription Combs posted:

If you look closely at the surface of the board it's ALL circuit traces in the open space. Traces to the RAM and traces to the PCIe slots.

....uh. Begging your pardon, what did you *think* connected the RAM and PCIe slots to the processor slot?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Bristol Ridge exists

It better be cheap too, like AM1 replacement cheap or I'll laugh in AMD's face if they charge more than 100$ for the best SKU.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't notice somehow that Kaby @ 5ghz loses to the 6700K @ 4.2ghz in the bench I posted earlier. Wowzers.

Whatever Intel counters with, hopefully AMD will have revenue to do the R&D to get HBM integration at a competitive cost for the next round. I don't think any chip can compete against something like that as long as they're stuck with the (relative) latency and throughput limitations of DDR4.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Bloody Antlers posted:

I didn't notice somehow that Kaby @ 5ghz loses to the 6700K @ 4.2ghz in the bench I posted earlier. Wowzers.

The bench you're talking about is using the iGPU and that didn't get changed so all of the results are random noise, they say this right below the graphs.

In general Kaby Lake/Skylake IPC is identical so virtually all the differences are proportional to clock speed. There does appear to be something odd going on with the overclocked Kaby Lake results in their Geekbench Memory test, though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 6, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Good news everyone, Ryzen was running at 3.6Ghz base, 3.9Ghz turbo at CES, apparently F4 stepping? And newer samples are hitting 4.0ghz boost, all under the 95W TDP.
http://wccftech.com/ryzen-ces-2017-3-6-ghz-base-clock-f4-stepping-4-0-ghz/

4.4 to 4.8Ghz is looking rather attainable (OCing of course), so it's really looking like it's all riding on price now.

EDIT: Something a little better than WCCFtech - https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/817044837358780416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 6, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Would I buy that for $300? $350? If it truly is Haswell performance and 8c?

......probably.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Potato Salad posted:

......probably.

...yeah. I get to buy a mid tier video editing box at work later this year and if AMD prices are reasonable I'll just put some 8c monstrosity in there instead of the usual i7.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Potato Salad posted:

......probably.

6900Ks are over $1000 MSRP and base clocked at 3.2. If they're selling something better than a 6900K, it's not going to be under $500.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FaustianQ posted:

Good news everyone, Ryzen was running at 3.6Ghz base, 3.9Ghz turbo at CES, apparently F4 stepping? And newer samples are hitting 4.0ghz boost, all under the 95W TDP.
http://wccftech.com/ryzen-ces-2017-3-6-ghz-base-clock-f4-stepping-4-0-ghz/

4.4 to 4.8Ghz is looking rather attainable (OCing of course), so it's really looking like it's all riding on price now.

EDIT: Something a little better than WCCFtech - https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/817044837358780416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

4GHz 8 core out of the box with Broadwell like IPC? If they price it right, they've got a real winner on their hands...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Careful on that IPC guess

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/817130693759303680

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Maybe someone already mentioned it and I missed it, but it doesn't look like Ryzen is coming out in Q1 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't get AMD's secrecy one bit. There's no point not showing their hand now, paper launch/ES preview/whatever, when they have gently caress-nothing to lose by this point.

Heck, even most of my local DIY stores has already stopped carrying AMD CPUs.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I actually kinda see what they might be doing. If Vega is as good as some people think it's going to be, there might be a pretty big value to holding back Zen and either tuning it as much as they can or just waiting to launch them both at the same time, if they think that they can simultaneously beat the top Intel CPUs and the top NVIDIA GPUs in one big event, that'd be bigger for their momentum than putting them out separately.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

SourKraut posted:

Maybe someone already mentioned it and I missed it, but it doesn't look like Ryzen is coming out in Q1 2017

I took that to mean that they are aiming for earlier than the last day of Q1

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I took that to mean that they are aiming for earlier than the last day of Q1

Same. I also heard "end of February" discussed elsewhere as a possible timeframe.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SourKraut posted:

No AMD, there is nothing mainstream about loving Bristol Ridge, stop it. Stop it now.

I'm reaching here, but bear with me. It looks like AMD is aiming to have the cheapest Zen CPU be about 150-180$, so the 4C/8T looks to be directly taking on i5s (based on current FX-8000 pricing). I have no idea how high it will go but if you want people buying your poo poo they might not go higher than 499$? Maybe 399$?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....uh. Begging your pardon, what did you *think* connected the RAM and PCIe slots to the processor slot?

I guess I don't understand what you're getting at with your wasted space comment. What would they put there?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

No AMD, there is nothing mainstream about loving Bristol Ridge, stop it. Stop it now.

I'm reaching here, but bear with me. It looks like AMD is aiming to have the cheapest Zen CPU be about 150-180$, so the 4C/8T looks to be directly taking on i5s (based on current FX-8000 pricing). I have no idea how high it will go but if you want people buying your poo poo they might not go higher than 499$? Maybe 399$?

AMD might not even with bother with 4c/8t Zen which would explain having Bristol Ridge up to mainstream in that table.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Word on the street for Bristol Ridge is retail/OEM availability is even worse than the usual already hard to find AMD APUs.

And let's not kid ourselves nobody would buy AM4 for Bulldozer derived garbage.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palladium posted:

And let's not kid ourselves nobody would buy AM4 for Bulldozer derived garbage.

Manufacturers like HP and Acer will buy them in bulk.

4c/8t Zen will certainly exist at some point but since they've never mentioned it, it might be 6 months or a year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What does that even mean? Versus stock 6950X or overclocked?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

6900Ks are over $1000 MSRP and base clocked at 3.2. If they're selling something better than a 6900K, it's not going to be under $500.
people will come around on around $650 for a 6900k competitor pretty quickly, and that's a fat enough margin to actually make money out of for AMD.

what people really have to watch for is if they'll come out with 6-cores (where Intel is selling for $400) and their 4-core pricing possibly undercutting i5-ks.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Prescription Combs posted:

I guess I don't understand what you're getting at with your wasted space comment. What would they put there?

Traces can be routed anywhere you please, those don't have positional requirements like say, mounting holes do.

I'm saying that the mounting brackets and the RAM slots are like the big rocks in the jar, and the traces are the sand that's poured in afterwards.

Had they just gone and aped Intel's mounting hole positions, they'd probably have freed up a lot more space to bring those RAM slots in closer.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread