Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

OhFunny posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14098224/dell-up3218k-8k-computer-monitor-price-features-ces-2017

Dell's announced the first 32" 8K monitor that'll come to market. Release date March 23rd. $4999.

what's the panel type, IGZO, TN, VA, IPS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

wargames posted:

what's the panel type, IGZO, TN, VA, IPS?

Dell hasn't specified what panel type it has.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So now you can get a 5K$ 4K OLED 32" and a 5K$ 8K 32"... I just need to win the lottery.

Maybe in 2 years they'll be the new norm. I'm not planning on getting a new one until my u2711 dies, but I have the upgrade itch.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KakerMix posted:

Yeah same. I also have two 27" 1440 monitors on either side of my predator, one in portrait and the other in landscape. So much monitor :pcgaming:

I can only fit one 27" (portrait) next to my X34 because my desk doesn't have enough space. Which leaves my other two 27"s sitting on my floor looking really sad and forgotten :(

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So if I were buying a monitor and because of cost limitations I have to choose between a higher refresh rate or 1440p, which would you recommend?

My card is a 1070, so it can handle either with aplomb. Though looking back on my budget, I recognize that the 1060 was probably the better option to free up more budget for a monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

So if I were buying a monitor and because of cost limitations I have to choose between a higher refresh rate or 1440p, which would you recommend?

Depends what you're going to use it for. If you only play MMOs/Civ IV or do content creation and need MOAR SPACE then 1440p would be the better choice. Pretty much everything else I'd say favors higher Hz. Or take a serious look at the overclockable Korean 1440ps and get both for cheap.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DrDork posted:

I can only fit one 27" (portrait) next to my X34 because my desk doesn't have enough space. Which leaves my other two 27"s sitting on my floor looking really sad and forgotten :(

I ended up going and getting a triple monitor arm that can just handle all my monitors. I have one of the original LG 21:9s because I jumped to the format asap but I've got nowhere to put it and nothing to use it for. A real humdinger.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

My card is a 1070, so it can handle either with aplomb. Though looking back on my budget, I recognize that the 1060 was probably the better option to free up more budget for a monitor.

I'd say 144hz, since your current card could handle 1080p 144hz fairly well. Then look to replace with a 4K 144hz monitor in a few years when cards can support it or whatever the latest thing is.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

With the clusterfuck around gsync, freesync 2, 4k, 8k, hdmi 2.1 etc I kind of feel like this is the worst possible time to buy a monitor. poo poo will probably be much less confusing and flaky in like 5 years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

With the clusterfuck around gsync, freesync 2, 4k, 8k, hdmi 2.1 etc I kind of feel like this is the worst possible time to buy a monitor. poo poo will probably be much less confusing and flaky in like 5 years.

This is me, I just hope my monitor lasts. It's 8 years old and is starting to leave "burn-in" (what's this even called on lcd panels?)

I.e. I extensively use the windows corners thing to have tiled windows, and if I leave them in the same position for 2-3 hours, there's dark lines there then for several hours still, lol.

Anyone know if this is just a case of ancient IPS panel showing age or should I be worried?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I figure that buying them all last year gave me some really nice screens to wait four or five years on. Last two years have been a huge leap.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think I'm pretty much set for a long time with my XB271HU, 4k would be nice but I can't go over 27" without a new desk and to fit that desk I would need to relocate my whole setup to a new room which is really unappealing. If I went with 4k at 27" I would need to scale everything up anyway for stuff to remain legible and even at 2560x1440 I sometimes need to turn the zoom up in my browser to deal with small text on some websites, at 4k that would only get worse. 165Hz is plenty of refresh rate and I believe Nvidia will continue to support Gsync no matter what so I don't think there is any good reason for me to upgrade any time soon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't really want a 4k screen right now, it would mean shelling out even more for a GPU every few years. I'll live with 1440p for awhile.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah unfortunately 4K turned out to be a bigger jump in performance needs than NV and AMD have been able to deliver at affordable price points than I, or others, expected.

1440p 27"-32" monitors will probably be the sweet spot for a while because of this. Especially if you want to make full use of 72Hz+ refresh rate monitors in any newer games.

Outside of really special use stuff (ie. maaaaybe X-Ray viewing by Docs) I don't think that 8K monitor makes any sort of sense at all right now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Outside of really special use stuff (ie. maaaaybe X-Ray viewing by Docs) I don't think that 8K monitor makes any sort of sense at all right now.

The text on SA will be so crisp it will literally cut your eyeballs.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Just think how horrible Windows DPI scaling will be at 8k.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A guy at my work in another group got 2 27" 1440p monitors for his desk, and he is running both at 1080p because he just plugged in a VGA cable and set the resolution. :barf:

I seriously want to murder him out of a combination of jealousy and disgust.

His frickin laptop docking station has displayport out even there is no excuse!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Carecat posted:

Windows handles scaling just fine. Many applications, however...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Goddamn, it's ungodly difficult to find one of the worthwhile 144hz 27" 1440p with G-sync in Canada. Does the XB271hu even ever go on loving sale below $1000 dollars?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Goddamn, it's ungodly difficult to find one of the worthwhile 144hz 27" 1440p with G-sync in Canada. Does the XB271hu even ever go on loving sale below $1000 dollars?

The lovely dollar and the fact that its a high demand item means probably not. I got mine for $940 and used a gift card to bring it even lower. There are some 1080p G-Sync screens and other options coming in the next year, might wanna just hold off. For what it's worth though I loving love mine and don't regret spending the cash. Just make sure you have the GPU for it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
A 1070 is fine for what I want, I have a U2713hm right now. I specifically do not want 1920x1080 or anything smaller than 27" to pair it with. I almost pulled the trigger on a Dell S2716dg because it dipped down to $720 tax-in from their website after some compound discounts, but they literally do not ship it to you for over a month which is not particularly acceptable.

The ROG Swift pg278q dipped down to $699 from a few sources over the Christmas break, but a questionable QA pattern with the panel and Asus' less than stellar customer service rep kept me from jumping in.

I'd happily go $699 on any of the models in this spec range, I don't expect we'll get a better vendor deal than that, but I literally never see Acers go on sale since I've been checking for them.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 8, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

What are thoughts on the XF270HU? I currently have a PB278Q running on a 480 which has been great so far but I want to see what this 144hz and freesync business is about.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Overminty posted:

What are thoughts on the XF270HU? I currently have a PB278Q running on a 480 which has been great so far but I want to see what this 144hz and freesync business is about.

Aparently it has broken overdrive while in freesync mode. Look for an MG279Q instead. Don't worry about the reduced freesync range--you can bump it to 57-144Hz (i.e. LFC compatible) with CRU.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Dell axed plans to sell their OLED mega-monitor from last year. :smith:

I guess not all unilateral experiments work out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 11, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Carecat posted:

It'll be fine provided you don't have a standard definition as a secondary.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Man poo poo. I was really looking forward to this tech hitting desktop monitors. Especially given oled's response rate.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-xub3490wqsu-b1/

Does anyone have experience with this brand? It seems pretty good, 75 hz and cheap. Super tempted to save up for one!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
XB271HU finally arrived. Didn't appreciate how much wider it would be, it almost makes my 1920x1080 screen look 4:3 in comparison. Pixels look OK. The IPS effect is a lot more pronounced than on my Dell IPS. The stand has been custom designed and manufactured at great expense to be kind of poo poo. It's funny how much more expensive but worse it is than the way simpler but more flexible Dell stand. ODS isn't terrible but a touch clunky.

The default colors were a horrible yellow tint, still need to adjust it more. Did a comparison with a black image and the lights off and the backlight glow is a lot less than my old Dell ultrasharp but it does have more IPS glow.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 13, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AEMINAL posted:

Does anyone have experience with this brand? It seems pretty good, 75 hz and cheap. Super tempted to save up for one!
When I was in middle school these were the best brand to take apart for a makeshift projector using an overhead projector. Had no idea they were still around.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow, yeah I remember Iiyama had pretty good CRTs wayyyy back in the day, that's amazing they are still around.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Carecat posted:

The stand has been custom designed and manufactured at great expense to be kind of poo poo. It's funny how much more expensive but worse it is than the way simpler but more flexible Dell stand.

Dell stands are amazing. I think part of it is that their branding is functionality and part is that they amortize the stand over a huge enterprise oriented product line.

AEMINAL posted:

No US presence? Shame, it's got a good looking stand and I'm always interested in another good ultrawide on the market.

Taking a quick look, it's amazing how ultrawides aren't dropping in price. Feels pretty good having had both of mine for over a year and they cost me maybe $100 more than I paid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804432&perpage=40#post468075380

Someone buy this goon's monitor. That is a fantastic price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Heads up though, i's the 1080p TN version. XB270H, not XB270HU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Heads up though, i's the 1080p TN version. XB270H, not XB270HU

Oh oops. Good catch.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm getting an occasional flicker of a black screen on my new monitor but it might be this: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3156974/microsoft-windows/win10-updates-kb-3213986-and-kb-3210721-have-multi-monitor-problems.html

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, those two Acer 34" ultrawide monitors, the GSync and FreeSync models, those are still the best price point for the specs? I know some other companies like Asus did similar monitors but they all have higher MSRP from what I saw.

It's so lovely that nothing came out for CES. The FreeSync Acer is still $500 less than the GSync, but the strongest FreeSync cards are the 390x and RX 480 which can't really push the full resolution and framerate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

So, those two Acer 34" ultrawide monitors, the GSync and FreeSync models, those are still the best price point for the specs? I know some other companies like Asus did similar monitors but they all have higher MSRP from what I saw.

It's so lovely that nothing came out for CES. The FreeSync Acer is still $500 less than the GSync, but the strongest FreeSync cards are the 390x and RX 480 which can't really push the full resolution and framerate.

How bad is it if you drop below the bottom of the freesync range?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Isn't the R9 fury capable?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

How bad is it if you drop below the bottom of the freesync range?

The XR341CK has a 30-75 range and I don't really notice when I drop below 30 because it supports LFC, it's a really good screen and I'd bet the XR342CK is similar.

Lowness 72 posted:

Isn't the R9 fury capable?

I'm guessing VRAM concerns, but it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, they're pretty much still the best. Even when sales or whatever bring the ASUS versions into parity, for whatever reason they seem to have more QC issues than Acer (holy poo poo is that something I never thought I'd say), so there's very little reason to get them unless you somehow prefer the aesthetic.

Something to also remember about the GSync vs FreeSync versions is that the GSync will do 100Hz while the FreeSync tops out at 75Hz (with an AMD card) or 60Hz (with NVidia). But yeah, you're really looking at a CrossFire setup to push that monitor--which is fine because the much lower monitor cost will easily pay for a second (maybe third?) 480.