Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Iron Rose posted:

Soleil is like one of the best written characters in fates.

A very high bar, I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only thing wrong with Soleil is that she can't S support other girls. Pretty hosed up imo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

The only thing wrong with Soleil is that she can't S support other girls. Pretty hosed up imo

This is why homebrew is good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
fem!robin/chrom is bad because it results in a male morgan, who is a dweeb

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dweebs are good, though.

Male Morgan isn't bad, he's just inferior to the alterantive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Clawtopsy posted:

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is why homebrew is good.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Clawtopsy posted:

The only FE character that can accurately be called a dweeb is Kiragi.

I literally rediscovered that word because of him. I hadn't used it in a decade and a half and after Kiragi's chapter my first thought was "what a total dweeb."

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Soleil and Forrest are precious together, and that basically redeems any nonsense on Fate's part for not letting Soleil S-rank with other girls.

Also Inigo's dad should obviously be Lon'qu. He inherits his canonical hair color, and becomes the polar opposite of his father.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
um the best children in fates are Selkie and Velouria???

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think you will find the best kid in Fates is Mitama, sorry.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mitama also runs into the problem of being a lamer version of her dad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clawtopsy posted:

I think you will find the best kid in Fates is Mitama, sorry.

hm I'll allow it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Mitama also runs into the problem of being a lamer version of her dad.

the added sleepy, haiku, and NEET gimmick give her more stuff to play around with. also her dad is top dog, so that's not really a negative point.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Man, I can't bring myself to play more of Birthright. Every drat chapter adds typically 2 new units that were never important before, and after one unique dialogue in the plot will disappear forever. None of them are as strong as the units I already have, and very few add a class I don't have. I don't think it's necessarily that the roster is too big, though i do think that's an issue(mostly because of how few units you can field in a battle). It really just feels like the devs were using a checklist and not pacing it. I've barely had time to start giving a poo poo about my own main character, let alone retainers of characters I forgot were in my party. I think it's amplified by how already grandiose the plot is, when the important characters are dragons and gods, these characters are no different than the faceless mooks you slaughter, only with uglier art direction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Man, I can't bring myself to play more of Birthright. Every drat chapter adds typically 2 new units that were never important before, and after one unique dialogue in the plot will disappear forever. None of them are as strong as the units I already have, and very few add a class I don't have. I don't think it's necessarily that the roster is too big, though i do think that's an issue(mostly because of how few units you can field in a battle). It really just feels like the devs were using a checklist and not pacing it. I've barely had time to start giving a poo poo about my own main character, let alone retainers of characters I forgot were in my party. I think it's amplified by how already grandiose the plot is, when the important characters are dragons and gods, these characters are no different than the faceless mooks you slaughter, only with uglier art direction.

They pretty much stop giving you characters after chapter 13.

But yes. Fates has some awful pacing, and the game is even worse than Awakening at providing more minor characters with narrative roles.

Doesn't help how the first six missions are so poorly paced. Two missions with only one unit, then two missions with three units, then you lose two of them to get two NEW units all while the game keeps chucking royals at you and yelling "They're your family! Care, dammit!"

loving mess.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cephas posted:

Soleil and Forrest are precious together, and that basically redeems any nonsense on Fate's part for not letting Soleil S-rank with other girls.

I wouldn't say it redeems that, but Forrest and Soleil are both very good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For me the good kids are Shiro, Soleil, Forrest, and Shigure/Caeldori/Mitama are alright.

The rest are just kinda... there. Kiragi makes for a nice foil to his dad but that's about it.

Kana's an absolute disappointment after Morgan.

I'm actually surprised Caeldori ranked so low, considering how well Cordelia was received.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 16, 2017

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Because she isn't unique. I think all the rehashed kid characters weren't popular

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also honestly it's easier to like a character when they're capable of effortlessly laying waste to all your enemies in battle, which Cordelia very much does and Caeldori kinda doesn't. The entire unrequited love aspect of her character is cut out as well, so there's just less to her.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Peg Knights are kinda mediocre in Fates and the best one is mostly for her absurd personal skill.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
One of the things I noticed about Fates is that the gameplay actively sabotages getting full supports. In Awakening you could usually go "I want to see this set of supports," backpack one character to another and you usually had a functioning unit. In Fates, especially conquest, I had a lot of situations where I wanted to see Soleil's supports with Forrest but simply couldn't commit a core frontline unit and a core backline unit to being paired up because otherwise I'd just die.

That the DLC scales to your level makes it difficult to do it that way, which means you're my castle grinding which is as fun as pulling teeth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The music for My Castle battles is really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I have to say, '20 characters is too many for a fire emblem game,' is a, uh, unique, complaint

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That the DLC scales to your level makes it difficult to do it that way, which means you're my castle grinding which is as fun as pulling teeth.

It'd be nice if it would just scale to the level of the units you put on the field, so that underleveled units could grind for friendship more easily. Even churning through My Castles set up to be easy to finish is a chore (thanks for making them easy, folks, but I don't want Aptitude on all my units, just those sweet sweet hearts.)

Would be nice if the hot springs or arena or mess hall gave support boosts. What better way to make someone like you than to feed them?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Asperity posted:

It'd be nice if it would just scale to the level of the units you put on the field, so that underleveled units could grind for friendship more easily. Even churning through My Castles set up to be easy to finish is a chore (thanks for making them easy, folks, but I don't want Aptitude on all my units, just those sweet sweet hearts.)

Would be nice if the hot springs or arena or mess hall gave support boosts. What better way to make someone like you than to feed them?

I already resent them for making me choose between avoiding fan service and getting support points with the treehouse.

Cooking for supports sounds fun though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, is seeing a live 2d face say 'you're nice' really that much fanservice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They also blush!

Blushing is v. fanservice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

If it's Camilla Kagero or Kaze the answer is "yes"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno how kazi dies in birthright when his pecs are clearly giant balloons. that should have slowed his fall.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

i guess if you consider any boobs in a videogame fan service some of the characters are, but to me it's just a weird thing that happens and not particularly fanservicey

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if the program to get the live 2d face for your computer monitor is still out in the wild

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

so what time is the direct on wednesday and where

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I have to say, '20 characters is too many for a fire emblem game,' is a, uh, unique, complaint

I don't think it's so much the amount of characters as the pacing of them. Birthright crams most of the non-kid units into 7 missions. And unlike in most Fire Emblems where you get a core cast picking up strays as they go, Fates has almost everyone already established in their relationship to their lord, so where the player thinks "Oh, hey. New random assholes.", the other characters treat them like they've known them all their lives and like you should remember them. Then the plot forgets all about them in favor of the next new unit, because Fates is terribly written.

20 characters in 7 missions, then 1 character in 14 missions is pretty bad pacing, even if 20 characters isn't that big a group by Fire Emblem standards.

(For the record, Awakening had 24 characters in the first 15 missions and 3 in the back 13, and it was already more frontloaded than the average. The format of the paralogues just emphasizes the gap.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE6 gives you 35 characters in the first 15 missions and that game has the best recruitment pacing in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the problem with Birthright's recruitment is that you get so many characters early, it's that there stops being recruitments pretty quick. Which is a shame because getting new characters is a cool and good feeling, but I suppose that's what the paralogues are for. Not that much of a problem at any rate.

And like really in most FE games a bunch of characters get forgotten by the plot the map after they're recruited, it's nothing new. I guess the Tellius games are the exception just because of base conversations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of paralogues, I kinda miss the way some of the older games handled side chapters. like having to kill uhai within a certain turn limit to unlock the magic seal chapter in fe7 or w/e. it's nice have the game push you to play for more than the win condition, plus those chapters felt more integrated into the plot than the paralogues in awakening and fates

I also liked the idea of the split route in fe6 and the lloyd/linus chapter choice in fe7 since it let you play differently depending on what you wanted to do later

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think it's so much the amount of characters as the pacing of them. Birthright crams most of the non-kid units into 7 missions. And unlike in most Fire Emblems where you get a core cast picking up strays as they go, Fates has almost everyone already established in their relationship to their lord, so where the player thinks "Oh, hey. New random assholes.", the other characters treat them like they've known them all their lives and like you should remember them. Then the plot forgets all about them in favor of the next new unit, because Fates is terribly written.

20 characters in 7 missions, then 1 character in 14 missions is pretty bad pacing, even if 20 characters isn't that big a group by Fire Emblem standards.

(For the record, Awakening had 24 characters in the first 15 missions and 3 in the back 13, and it was already more frontloaded than the average. The format of the paralogues just emphasizes the gap.)

It's really this. I play super robot wars, so Im fine with having a shitload of characters. But besides the aforementioned pacing difference, srw also lets you use more dudes as you get more dudes instead of 2 more spots after getting 10 more dudes. Judging by the battles, i feel like my army is bigger than the enemies and it feels like im using less than half my roster just so the enemies can be vaguely threatening.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

I also liked the idea of the split route in fe6 and the lloyd/linus chapter choice in fe7 since it let you play differently depending on what you wanted to do later

Well Fates is literally this extended to the whole game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of paralogues, I kinda miss the way some of the older games handled side chapters. like having to kill uhai within a certain turn limit to unlock the magic seal chapter in fe7 or w/e. it's nice have the game push you to play for more than the win condition, plus those chapters felt more integrated into the plot than the paralogues in awakening and fates

I definitely liked how earlier games did it more. In Fates paralogues are just there for recruiting the kids so they kinda have to be completely separate from the plot since so are they. If there's no kids in the next game hopefully they'll go back to the old formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I do too, but I also wish FE7 were a little more transparent about it. I'm sure almost everyone got Night of Farewells on their own, and I'm just as sure approximately nobody got Glimpse in Time without a guide