Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Kingtheninja posted:

Since the show kind of ditched stating what year it was, how old is Bjorn around this time? 40? Late 30s?

He has very graciously aged past his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Kingtheninja posted:

Since the show kind of ditched stating what year it was, how old is Bjorn around this time? 40? Late 30s?

Around 30-ish or so. He was +/- 20 before the twelve year time skip. Thinking about it Alfred should probably be older in the show since Athelstan was gone before the first Paris raid and obviously he got down with Judith before that.

As for season 4.5; Ecbert's interactions with everybody are awesome but he and Ragnar are the highlight. The main let down was the Mediterranean raid. It was built up as Bjorn's destiny and the farthest anyone has sailed and all that but it only gets part of an episode. I'd think a lot more could have been done there. Maybe there was some behind the scenes stuff that lead to things getting shortened up? Whoever said there was probably another episode's worth of footage on the cutting room floor is probably right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think Bjorn in the Mediterranean is probably going to be what they go to after the great heathen army, because aside from that, there's basically no content once that is done and over with.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I mean they could raid any number of countries if they wish

This show has Odin and poo poo in it, it is not a historically accurate show

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Well I mean they could raid any number of countries if they wish

This show has Odin and poo poo in it, it is not a historically accurate show

yeah, but they've stayed generally true to the myth.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
They could follow Ivar while he fucks up the Irish. :black101:

Keeping another Med. raid in the back pocket is something I could see them doing. It's just open ended enough to work in a bunch of other viking bits they haven't covered like Varangians, Antonio Banderas, and whatnot.

Also whatever Fairhair is up to but they've just kind of just left him messing around in the background as mentioned above.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Volkerball posted:

yeah, but they've stayed generally true to the myth.

I have yet to see a giant battle-cow.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Show them going down rivers to start exciting trade networks as they establish Rus and basically breed themselves into Europe and out of relevance.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It still took some dismemberment and a few bloody eagles to establish those trade routes. There's always that one guy who doesn't know to take a good deal when it's offered.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, she's usually standing right next to Lagertha.

Also I could do without this Harald Fairhair plot that seems like a re-hash of the same backstabbing, conniving nonsense from every other season. I realize that's what the sagas and probably real history was, but it's less entertaining in a TV show.

Oh no, I actually find him and his brother some of the most interesting and charismatic characters on the show right now, and their subplot is one of the rare few I look fo forward to seeing out of the way too many we got going on this season. I wish they'd kill off and eliminate some of the stagnant characters taking up screentime so my tattoo-headed bros and some of the other younger generation could get more time to shine.

Volkerball posted:

I think Bjorn in the Mediterranean is probably going to be what they go to after the great heathen army, because aside from that, there's basically no content once that is done and over with.

Don't forget Rollo and the Viking dynasty of badassery he starts in France and spreads further. I'm sure that could give them plenty of interesting material for future seasons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember back when the show started, they said if it ran long enough we'd get to see the Great Heathen Army, King Alfred, Erik the Red, Leif Ericsson, and Vinland.

Plenty of untapped stuff there!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Should end with the defeat of Harald Hardrada and then Hastings imo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJGOoRWtq4

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The least likely Viking

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Brokeback Kattegat

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I have yet to see a giant battle-cow.
Not just a giant battle-cow but also a sorceror cow whose moo make men crazy and fight with their among their own lines.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just learned about the history of Russia and had no idea that it was founded by a viking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Wmc8C0Eq0

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 17, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Harald Fairhair, the monument that commemorates the battle of Hafrsjord where he is said to have unified Norway is pretty cool:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Astrid is hot as gently caress especially when "Vikinged up". That is all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bronin posted:

Astrid is hot as gently caress especially when "Vikinged up". That is all

bjorn couldn't resist

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

etalian posted:

bjorn couldn't resist

Raises the question of how Lagertha is going to respond to her son banging her girlfriend.

She might be cool though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

Raises the question of how Lagertha is going to respond to her son banging her girlfriend.

She might be cool though.

Aethelstan had the opportunity to bang her and Eiffel Tower it up with Ragnar and she wasn't too shy about that, so I bet she'd be cool with this she'd be grossed out after her own son has laid that pipe in her young lesbian lover

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm gonna gently caress the girl my mom is loving. This is a great idea
- Björn

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
omg I hope it doesnt lead to some fully retarded relationship drama that leads to lagerthas death and thus fulfilling the prophecy of one of her sons killing her

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

poo poo...that's exactly what will happen.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
Perhaps she'll get pregnant and die in childbirth. That would be more boring than relationship drama though, I'd rather see Björn killing her.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

Perhaps she'll get pregnant and die in childbirth. That would be more boring than relationship drama though, I'd rather see Björn killing her.

She'll revenge gently caress Ubbe Ivar and get knocked up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

She'll revenge gently caress Ubbe Ivar and get knocked up.

Ivar can't gently caress

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Ivar can't gently caress

The slave lady, maybe. Lagertha is a whole different story.

He'd be able to walk afterwards, too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, what ever happened to Ragnar's daughter? The one who found Bjorn's daughter Siggy's body, spied on her mom boning Harbard, and did some other poo poo enough to be memorable? Seems like she would have been a good candidate for Lagertha replacement main shieldmaiden after Lagertha gets offed.

I actually wondered if maybe Astrid was her until I remembered she had red hair, and then Astrid and Lagertha were revealed to be getting down.

Love Crime posted:

Lagertha: I have only one question. Will the sons of Ragnar kill me?
Seer won't answer
Lagertha: Did you hear me?
Seer: Yes, I heard you.
Lagertha: Then what is the answer, wise one? Will I be killed by a son of Ragnar?
Seer: Yes.

That interaction is really weird and if it's being singled out as only one son it makes me think Ivar won't be it as a surprise, maybe Bjorn will realize Lagertha really hosed up by murdering their mom in front of a billion witnesses and he'll mercy kill her instead of letting psycho Ivar do it.

Her death seems more likely to happen while the Great Heathen Army is on the move. Harald is making plans to take Kattegat and the one dumb gently caress who made fun of Ivar to Ubbe made the comment that they were all sons of Ragnar now. Given the way the Seer dodged the question then answered right away once Lagertha rephrased it, the implication is that she's getting offed by someone who isn't one of the sons of Ragnar but considers himself a son of Ragnar.

Plus then we have future beef between Bjorn, future king of Sweden, and Harald, king of Norway.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Ragnar's only daughter died in S2 before Harbard even showed up, she just got sick and died while Ragnar was out pillaging. It was Sigurd who found Siggy, he just had long girly hair.

I think it was interesting that they killed off both Ragnar and Floki's daughters just through the harshness of the environment. It made the Viking raiding lifestyle and it's obsession with dieing in battle a lot more understandable as well as explaining why Ragnar was so interested in the better English farmland.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The sons of Ragnar each inherited one of his best traits.

Ubbe- looks and physical courage
Sigurd- Ragnar trolling abilities
Hvistserk- Hilarious smile
Bjorn- leadership abilities
Ivar- Rangnar's cunning

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

etalian posted:

Ivar- Rangnar's cunning

kills poo poo pretty good too

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Harald Fairhair gets nervous around his crush :3:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Harald Fairhair gets nervous around his crush :3:

Homie seems a little unstable...

What's Old Norse for restraining order?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Godsdammit Helga your kidnap victim does not want to go to England and pillage with you

Erghh posted:

Homie seems a little unstable...

What's Old Norse for restraining order?
Exile usually did the trick

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Exile usually did the trick

Eh, could be worse ways to get told off in viking-dom.

Also shout to the Seer in the background all like "hey guys, what's going on" :haw:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

THF13 posted:

I think it was interesting that they killed off both Ragnar and Floki's daughters just through the harshness of the environment. It made the Viking raiding lifestyle and it's obsession with dieing in battle a lot more understandable as well as explaining why Ragnar was so interested in the better English farmland.

Better farmland would obviously be appealing but I'm not sure the chances of not dying in childhood to a random disease were any better in England than in Scandinavia in those days. I guess better land might lead to a better diet and therefore immune system, but I'm not sure that's something the Vikings understood. Also the Vikings had better hygiene (they washed once a week which the English saw as effeminate) so in my opinion as an armchair historian with no medical expertise whatsoever it probably balanced out.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Hm. I thought we'd have some more build up before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:black101:

• Locked thread